Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RAGINGBRODADDY View Post
    https://i.gyazo.com/9bbb328509809fef...fa8364c617.png

Global warming is a hoax perpetuated by scientists to get grants to study said hoax. It's lucrative because people are stupid and believe everything scientists say because they're sCiENtiSTS. So when the government gives them money it makes the population feel better because there's "smart" people working on it. Not to say all science is bullshit, but imagine how much money you could make when everybody holds you up upon a pedestal and relies on you. Pretty easy life collecting tax dollars.
    Would you care to address specific points, or would you rather stand defiantly against evidence and consensus on vague political claims?
    Have you seen the meagre amounts of money climate research gets for what it's trying to assess?
    Do you think that 2500 euros a month for 7 odd years of studying would justify creating a worldwide conspiracy in all the sensible governments in the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Dsonsion View Post
    Captain Planet is not a scientist, and I'm pretty sure neither are you. Please, doing climate science is depressing on its own, don't make it worse by introducing denial into the equation.

Please, if you're uninformed on the subject, don't be so sure about your stance. We do know about the climate in previous ages of the earth, and it has followed a predictable pattern.
    And what is happening now doesn't follow that pattern.
    Are you larping as a climate scientist?

https://phys.org/news/2018-11-climat...sts-wrong.html

So in this article scientists make a mistake, some guy corrects it, then people start saying climate change is bullshit, but the story goes on to validate the scientific method, that case study review is part of science and finding errors is how we reach a solution. Ok, fine, cool, but what if it's bullshit in the first place? Is it just another "oops, error.'? Since the 60's these scientists have been making "errors" about climate. At the end do we just get a "lol our bad guys" while they sit upon BILLIONS of wasted tax dollars?

- - - Updated - - -

Would you care to address specific points, or would you rather stand defiantly against evidence and consensus on vague political claims?
    Have you seen the meagre amounts of money climate research gets for what it's trying to assess?
    Do you think that 2500 euros a month for 7 odd years of studying would justify creating a worldwide conspiracy in all the sensible governments in the world?
    After examining the reports, and removing double counting, calculations show that from Fiscal Year 1993 to FY 2014 total U.S. expenditures on climate change amount to more than $166 billion in 2012 dollars. By way of comparison, the Congressional Budget Office estimated that the entire Apollo program, operating from 1962 to 1973 with 17 missions—seven of them sending men to the moon and back—cost $170 billion in 2005 dollars, which equals about $200 billion in 2012 dollars, if we use the Consumer Price Index to adjust that figure. In “fighting” climate change, the United States government is spending almost as much as it did on all the Apollo missions.
    https://www.climatedollars.org/full-...limate-change/

Specific points like what? I'm not in the business of climate change, what I do know is that Arizona is hot as fuck during the summer and always has been. I know that every year there's record highs AND lows across the US alone. I don't see any disastrous shit happening around the world besides tsunamis and hurricanes which can be attributed to random acts of nature. It's not so hot outside your eyeballs pop out of your head, even though it is 118F in July. It's a desert. It's hot. Nothing out of the ordinary is really occurring as far as day to day weather is concerned. Sometimes bad shit happens, but it's not like tornados and tsunamis and earthquakes and hurricanes are running rampant across the world. It's fear mongering, plain and simple.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    Fuck me is the sky falling again? That impending doom has been lurking just around the corner since I was old enough to watch Captain Planet, and let me tell you folks, that was a loooong time ago. Now, who remembers the theme song? Don't be shy, you still know it. That shit was catchy as fuck.
    Now imagine instead of statements like these you realized that due to the changes to our climate countless tragedies have happened just this year because we ignored it. We have people dying during floods because states don't believe in building codes / zoning laws or coastal erosion projection, people dying in wild fires because the federal government doesn't care about same science anymore. Those reports are so that we humans build the infrastructure and systems to save lives, keep making jokes while bodies pile up due to our inaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinpachi View Post
    Except it doesn't.

- - - Updated - - -

they're not fleeing shit, they're invading. otherwise they'd take asylum at the first nation to offer it.

- - - Updated - - -

get a full finished basement and bask in the coolness
    But, it really does. The overwhelming evidence supports the claim that climate change is real, and we are already seeing the impacts on society as a whole. Humans are going to need to adapt, and that will inevitably cost a great deal of time and effort to remedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarch Vandal View Post
    Can we stop pretending that the planet is fine?

Earth cries out in pain. If only people were using their power to heal Earth instead of hurt her.
    planet is fine, people are fucked.

It's not so hot outside your eyeballs pop out of your head, even though it is 118F in July. It's a desert. It
    Very reasonable stance unless the earth turns into a volcano or a sci-fi version of Mars all this is fake news /s

I mean you obviously don't understand the basics or care so why bother just be honest and say I don't care about this because I think it won't affect me so screw it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shon237 View Post
    Really? So your argument that our climate and environment has not collapsed in your lifetime its false. The environment has been changing for the worse and this report by the trump administration, one of the most anti-climate administrations you can have issued this report.

This report is supported by government agencies such as the Department of Defense, who state climate change will cause massive unrest in areas.

An example such as mass drought or loss of food production will lead to mass migration. Mass migration from poor countries to rich countries. Sound familiar?

The people who bitch about taxes or subsidizing green energy, etc.,seem to not understand the massive cost in the future.
    My point is people like you have been saying the end is near as long as I’ve been alive to listen, and guess what, we’re all still here doing pretty well. I’m not a climatologist and the issue is too wrapped up in money and politics to take anything anyone says at face value. What I do know is this. All of the panic these last decades hasn’t resulted in any meaningful steps to address the stated problem, and the problem isn’t as dire as we’re meant to believe. We’re an adaptable little monkey and have proven our ability to thrive in every climate imaginable. Life is change. We’ll be fine. Now let’s watch some football and when that’s done pursue some good causes we can actually do something about.

-snip-
    A single study with a wrong scale estimation which was corrected in the face of new data doesn't render all the field iffy study it involves useless and wrong. As you see, these people are doing actual science and rectifying mistakes in the predictions.
    All the while, the real disagreement is not on the veracity, but on the magnitude, because there are just too many variables at play. Each day strides are made.
    All the while, you point at local temperature, link conspiracy sites as sources and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Draco-Onis View Post
    Now imagine instead of statements like these you realized that due to the changes to our climate countless tragedies have happened just this year because we ignored it. We have people dying during floods because states don't believe in building codes / zoning laws or coastal erosion projection, people dying in wild fires because the federal government doesn't care about same science anymore. Those reports are so that we humans build the infrastructure and systems to save lives, keep making jokes while bodies pile up due to our inaction.
    People have been dying in floods and wildfires since time began. We happen to have more people living in places where floods and wildfires are common. If you’d like to pursue local building codes and zoning ordinances that help alleviate the issue, be my guest. Just forgive me if I’m not interested in buying carbon shares or shipping tax dollars to African warlords because there are wildfires in California. I swear, if Hitler had sold murdering Jews as an environmental protection issue, you guys would have manned the gas chambers.

- - - Updated - - -

Captain Planet is not a scientist, and I'm pretty sure neither are you. Please, doing climate science is depressing on its own, don't make it worse by introducing denial into the equation.
    Man, so much to unpack here.

1. Captain Planet is on your side, so it’s rude for you to dismiss him like that. Plus, he’s a hero. Have some respect.

2. Are you a scientist? What kind? What journals are you published in? How did you gather your data? Who funded your study? Or more likely, are you just a video gamer who took someone’s word for it and is now having a logic failure by appealing to authority in an internet chat room?

3. I didn’t deny anything. I admit, I don’t know. There is a good amount of evidence the climate is changing. I’ve not observed anything that leads me to believe we won’t adapt to it just fine. I do know however your your lot has been acting like a doomsday cult as long as I can remember, and no matter how many times that spaceship doesn’t show up, you keep seeking new adherents as though getting sufficient people to agree with you will prevent you from facing the emotional pain of admitting perhaps the aliens aren’t coming.

4. You’re free to argue against anyone denying anything, as that’s what having a discussion consists of. Admonishing them though for the act of denial itself is just a demand for orthodoxy. You might be on the right side of this issue, but you’re shitty at debate, and need to work on it.

-snip-
    My credentials are very poor. Please don't ask me for a Nobel or personal info. You're free to believe whatever you want about me. Luckily I don't depend on you or your country for my livelihood.
    You're being dismissive because of the nature you assign to the movement to stop climate change. I'll grant you something: we can not know how bad it's gonna be. But even the most optimistic predictions imply some issues humanity will have to address in the near future.
    You saying humanity can deal with that is a wishful thought I share, but one of the things we can do right now is minimise its effects. I don't see how casting this much doubt into the research of this phenomenon can benefit anyone in the long term.
    Last edited by Dsonsion; 2018-11-24 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Red Panda View Post
    It is the height of mans hubris to think they can alter the weather on a global scale with cow farts and car farts. No single human can comprehend the vast scale of the earth or our time on it. We will eventually disappear off it by either leaving or dying out, and the earth will just keep on chugging. The weather ebbs and flows hotter and colder with natural cycles, scientists tracking it for a few decades thinking they know the weather patterns developed over billions of years is just laughable.
    This is scary stuff, the fact someone could believe something like this frightens me. We don't have technology because we believe it should work, we know how it works, just like we know how greenhouse gasses contribute to global warming. The Earth absorbs heat from the sun, that heat radiates out back into space, greenhouse gasses create a "blanket" around earth not allowing the heat to escape. This raises the temperature of the earth which has begun to melt our polar icecaps, which incidentally reflect solar rays back out into space (Less icecaps = more heat absorbed). The process is unfortunately self sustaining, which is why we want to do everything we can to reverse its progress, while we can. Also, if you want to see the end result of run away climate change, go check on our neighbor Venus and tell it that it doesn't exist.

10+ Year Old Account
    3. I didn’t deny anything. I admit, I don’t know. There is a good amount of evidence the climate is changing. I’ve not observed anything that leads me to believe we won’t adapt to it just fine. I do know however your your lot has been acting like a doomsday cult as long as I can remember, and no matter how many times that spaceship doesn’t show up, you keep seeking new adherents as though getting sufficient people to agree with you will prevent you from facing the emotional pain of admitting perhaps the aliens aren’t coming.
    This is climate change denial. It's like saying "I don't know that the Earth is flat, but I haven't seen any evidence that it's a globe, either." The only reason you haven't seen the mountains upon mountains of evidence that all confirm that one conclusion is because you're willfully and deliberately refusing to look for it, so you can preserve your deliberate ignorance and make maliciously misleading comments like this.

It's exactly the same as flat-earther of anti-vaxxer nonsense. It's exactly that misinformed. You aren't taking a middle path; you're straight-up denying science.

4. You’re free to argue against anyone denying anything, as that’s what having a discussion consists of. Admonishing them though for the act of denial itself is just a demand for orthodoxy. You might be on the right side of this issue, but you’re shitty at debate, and need to work on it.
    This is bullshit.

You're being presented with metric shitttons of evidence that all point to one conclusion. Your entire argument is "but I'm too lazy to look at any of that. Maybe it's something else that makes no sense instead? Why don't people take my misinformed imagination as seriously as mountains of scientific evidence and analysis by thousands of scientists over decades of research, resulting in one concrete conclusion that's agreed upon in consensus?"

This isn't about "orthodoxy". This is about you demanding that your willful ignorance be given equal credence to actual science.
    Last edited by Endus; 2018-11-24 at 02:20 PM.

People have been dying in floods and wildfires since time began. We happen to have more people living in places where floods and wildfires are common. If you’d like to pursue local building codes and zoning ordinances that help alleviate the issue, be my guest. Just forgive me if I’m not interested in buying carbon shares or shipping tax dollars to African warlords because there are wildfires in California. I swear, if Hitler had sold murdering Jews as an environmental protection issue, you guys would have manned the gas chambers.
    People have been dying of disease since time began let's stop trying to cure them /s

There's a difference between arguing about solutions and denying there is a problem if you don't give a shit about the truth just say so. Also this is even more ironic considering that carbon sharing / tax is a right wing idea you know when you guys used to believe in science and facts.
    Last edited by Draco-Onis; 2018-11-24 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RaoBurning View Post
    I hope that horse you're on is high enough to trudge through the hurricane induced floods in the South and tough enough to make it through the fire and ash of the West, you vacuous—wait, 26 posts in 2 years. Ban evading alt, probably. Never mind, then.

As for the rest of you willfully, painfully ignorant mud botherers: Try not to fall off the edge of the Earth running from the floods/fires/frosts.
    mud botherers
    I had to look that one up, thanks for the compliment I guess. I like how you assume I am a banned alt just because I disagree with you, great use of the ol noggin toboggan.

I know all of you liberals have wet dreams of a Day after Tomorrow scenario where north america gets wiped out and we have to go begging to the third world to take us in and forgive us for our crimes against humanity. But that is exactly what it is, nothing but a dream. No one here actually wants to fix anything, they just want to use quotes to attack and score points against their enemies, because we can't fight each other irl anymore so we have to take out our aggression in other ways. I'm sure if we met in the real world we could be buddies have have peaceful conversations about this subject, but because its online u bad me gud. It's sad but what can we do about it.

10 US government agencies wrote this report?

What a democracy we have!

Brings a tear to my eye.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Just look at the increasing severity and frequency of wildfires in California.

It's not fine and you can go fuck yourself.
    See this is what I am talking about, no one actually does their own research, they see a link from their designated media consumption website and they think they have found the holy grail that will put those dumb hillbillies or fart sniffing libtards in their place.

Meanwhile they ignore the real world problems we have that we could actually do something about. Like clearing all of the dead brush and controlled burning that california refuses to do. Or not planting all of those eucalyptus trees in the first place. You basically built your state on top of a funeral pyre and then cry and act confused when you burn alive on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    See this is what I am talking about, no one actually does their own research, they see a link from their designated media consumption website and they think they have found the holy grail that will put those dumb hillbillies or fart sniffing libtards in their place.

Meanwhile they ignore the real world problems we have that we could actually do something about. Like clearing all of the dead brush and controlled burning that california refuses to do. Or not planting all of those eucalyptus trees in the first place. You basically built your state on top of a funeral pyre and then cry and act confused when you burn alive on it.
    As opposed to you, who have done exactly no research on the subject, have pulled an opinion right out of your own butt, and are so pleased with how it smells that you want everyone else to lean in and take a sniff.

No thanks. We know it's shit. Deriding actual evidence because you want your buttnugget opinions to be treated as anything other than shit is just thoroughly ridiculous.

Kudos on applauding people dying, though. Truly a stellar position that shows how morally bankrupt your stance is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    Sadly, it will just be another ignored report because humans are too greedy.
    You mean the US is too greedy.

Plenty of humans out there willing for change, its the minuscule minority that do not.

Unfortunately that minuscule minority holds most of the wealth on this planet.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    As opposed to you, who have done exactly no research on the subject, have pulled an opinion right out of your own butt, and are so pleased with how it smells that you want everyone else to lean in and take a sniff.

No thanks. We know it's shit. Deriding actual evidence because you want your buttnugget opinions to be treated as anything other than shit is just thoroughly ridiculous.

Kudos on applauding people dying, though. Truly a stellar position that shows how morally bankrupt your stance is.
    I think I love you...

- - - Updated - - -

I had to look that one up, thanks for the compliment I guess. I like how you assume I am a banned alt just because I disagree with you, great use of the ol noggin toboggan.

I know all of you liberals have wet dreams of a Day after Tomorrow scenario where north america gets wiped out and we have to go begging to the third world to take us in and forgive us for our crimes against humanity. But that is exactly what it is, nothing but a dream. No one here actually wants to fix anything, they just want to use quotes to attack and score points against their enemies, because we can't fight each other irl anymore so we have to take out our aggression in other ways. I'm sure if we met in the real world we could be buddies have have peaceful conversations about this subject, but because its online u bad me gud. It's sad but what can we do about it.
    You are smaller than an ant.
    “Life is and will ever remain an equation incapable of solution, but it contains certain known factors.”

Quote Originally Posted by planetofjunk View Post
    This is scary stuff, the fact someone could believe something like this frightens me.
    But are you literally shaking?

Also, if you want to see the end result of run away climate change, go check on our neighbor Venus and tell it that it doesn't exist.
    Let me know when the earth moves 26 million miles closer to the sun, then I might start to worry a little bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Benggaul View Post
    Ah, I see the "it's not going to effect me so idgaf" crowd has already chimed in. Great folks. They can die first and nothing of value will be lost.
    That's basically the republican platform. They care about me myself and I.

The sad thing is, that there are so many self centered douchebags.