Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Eh for hc i wouldn't say they are needed, same for the first few mythic bosses i guess, but doing fetid/ghuun mythic without weakauras and dbm/bw sounds like a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by foreversilenced View Post
    Hey so if you are one of those people who say you are old school and don't use addons - please stop joining group activity. I had a Main Tank in a progression guild who refused to download a single addon. Every boss he would just randomly walk into the boss with no prior warning. We never got to prepot. I ended up fighting him after several weeks of this and he gquit mid raid due to his refusal to get an addon. On top of this he was always taunting incorrectly and missing very basic things due to being "oldschool".
    Personally I would judge a player base on this performance and what he's expected to do, with or without addon. If a player cannot perform because he doesn't use an addon, then fault him on his performance and not because he's not using an addon. I do know a few raiders that actually do perform just as well without addons but they do make additional effort to compensate for the lack of addon usage.

If a tank is expected to announce incoming start of boss fight and if he doesn't want to use an addon to do it, have him do it manual in voice chat, like saying "incoming boss, 10,9,8,7,6..." If he refuse to do that, then fault him failing to perform the required started of fight announcement. If he 'missing very basic things', then fault him on that, either he buck up and perform those 'basic things' (with or without addon help) or boot him from the raid.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypasonic View Post
    Yes, and without those addons they'd spend more time progressing.
    Subjective.

I'm never downloading a single addon, till the end of history, till the judgement day.
    Those should be banned anyways, either you can play standard, or you fucking suck.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryzeth View Post
    Subjective.
    Nothing subjective about it, addons save time which is why they are used.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by foreversilenced View Post
    It's 100% correct, also hit me with the reason why you do not use addons? I haven't seen 1 good reason not to.
    They use an AMD processor and their computer is absolute shit?

DBM/Bigwigs is totally understandable; but sorry, as a healer Weakaura is as useful as herpes. I rather use addons that are useful to me than some that aren't. And one of the most useful is still the addon that allows me to self cast any spell with right click (that blizzard still didn't manage to implement)

But others than that and sometimes a different unit-frame; i don't use many addons for raids. But there are addons that i would never use on my pc ever:
    Details for example: it's totally bloatware, but people are loving it. Never i have seen such a useless damage meter as details: too hard too handle, too many useless options, far far far too many systen ressources used for a simple damage meter and the ui is totally crap. If i would be forced to use this crapware, then i would personally rather leave the guild if i was forced to use it.

I'm pretty minimalist with add-ons since most really aren't necessary anymore, especially with how much the default Blizz UI has improved. Honestly, with a good weakaura or set of weakauras, you probably wouldn't need any other add-on even for mythic raiding. The people I raid with kind of laugh at me when I tell them I use sound cues in the game to know when things happen, as playing with game sound on tells you quite a bit about what's going on with an encounter (probably just as much as visual cues). Most abilities are telegraphed visually or by some audible sound or boss telegraphing with speech what's going to happen... although most people probably don't notice half the stuff. The real point is that I'm used to running a stopwatch and/or reading logs for an encounter to figure out the timing of abilities, because when I was hardcore raiding the add-ons couldn't keep up with the changes or they were wrong and not updated yet... all of which doesn't require extensive use of add-ons. If anything, I think people have become too reliant on add-ons, as is very evident nowadays that many raiders can't raid if one of their primary add-ons breaks... while I can play just fine with stock UI if something breaks.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    DBM, sure. Weak auras? What kind of scrub needs that shit to play? I'm sure newer players that have played for years are just used to it but no way. It's unnecessary.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Info I wanted to know about when I raided (with or without strangers), or did dungeons (challenge modes in mop) a lifetime ago:
    - cc usage. As a shaman I can interrupt, dispel, stun, hex. So knowing when everyone else was doing the same (since everyone and their mother had many ccs) was crucial for me, saddest moment in the game is when you plant your cap totem, feel happy about yourself, and you hear (I set up voice notifications for these) "Shockwave!". And then cap totem goes off doing nothing. Or when in a random group setting all the shamans plant the cap totem at the same time.
    At the start of wod I had voice notification set up for when a healer used channeled mana potion. That meant quite a lot on Tectus mythic for example.
    Same with healing cds. On farm when everything was FFA I found it useful.
    When I farmed ashran I had many pvp voice notifications.
    I just like to know what happens around me without looking at bars and timers and player characters. I love voice notifications.
    Since I stopped caring about these in legion, I have no clue if it still applies.

Quote Originally Posted by PaladinBash View Post
    DBM, sure. Weak auras? What kind of scrub needs that shit to play? I'm sure newer players that have played for years are just used to it but no way. It's unnecessary.
    Sure it's unnecessary if you're a carry who just tunnels the boss.

But most serious raids use Weakauras to manage raidwide cooldowns, interrupt rotations, combat res, etc etc.

TBH, if addons are that essential, I'd honestly say there's something critically wrong with WoW's design and you probably should question why you keep playing a game that's like that.

Think about the logic, and apply it to other games and you'll see how bad WoW's design must be.

Quote Originally Posted by kos666 View Post
    So it'd be easy to prove then, right? Go see my original post.
    Link it as all I see are oneliners. What do you want proved?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Otimus View Post
    TBH, if addons are that essential, I'd honestly say there's something critically wrong with WoW's design and you probably should question why you keep playing a game that's like that.

Think about the logic, and apply it to other games and you'll see how bad WoW's design must be.
    WoW's UI design is intentionally open. They provide the bare minimum, and they rely on the community to come up with UI improvements. Once something becomes near universal (questhelper and gearscore are examples), they will incorporate it unless the community already does an excellent and stable job.

Formally this is a type of Open Innovation the embraces the Creative Consumer.

In this case specifically, the advantages (besides saving massive on UI R&D and support) are that the base UI can be realy simple for a new user, while dedicated UI elements can be configured specifically for the different niche player activities (Raiding, Goldmaking, Petbattles, M+, PvP, Roleplaying, Collecting, ...). Furthermore each player can personalize their UI to their own preference. Even the creation of new UI elements of certain types no longer requires coding but can in many cases be accomplished through graphical UI element toolkits such as Weak Auras.

People that assume the game is 'meant to be' played without addons are just misguided. The opposite is true.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Velerios View Post
    DBM/Bigwigs is totally understandable; but sorry, as a healer Weakaura is as useful as herpes. I rather use addons that are useful to me than some that aren't. And one of the most useful is still the addon that allows me to self cast any spell with right click (that blizzard still didn't manage to implement)

But others than that and sometimes a different unit-frame; i don't use many addons for raids. But there are addons that i would never use on my pc ever:
    Details for example: it's totally bloatware, but people are loving it. Never i have seen such a useless damage meter as details: too hard too handle, too many useless options, far far far too many systen ressources used for a simple damage meter and the ui is totally crap. If i would be forced to use this crapware, then i would personally rather leave the guild if i was forced to use it.
    Weakauras enables you to see that the next high damage mob cast will go though as everyone's interrupt is on Cooldown. It will also tell you your fellow healers still have a few seconds left before their big mitigation raid CD comes up so it will be up to you to prevent the wipe. Not usefull?

I have yet to hear of a guild the requires a damage meter.
    Last edited by HuxNeva; 2018-11-30 at 06:30 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hekazi View Post
    I'm never downloading a single addon, till the end of history, till the judgement day.
    Those should be banned anyways, either you can play standard, or you fucking suck.
    Not sure if trolling or not...if not that's quite a little fantasy you got there. Just don't ruin any pugs by joining them, stay in LFR and buy those live services like a nice little sheep and activision blizzard loves you for the rest of your life

Everyone can be better with some suitable addons. It's pretty obvious.
    The fun thing is a lof ot them make things directly easier ("boss is going to cast badthing in 3, 2, 1), but sometimes they make things easier by requiring you to pay attention to more stuff. Like take a not perfectly and rigid timing encounter, and tell me without addons you keep track of all major dps, defensive, healing, interrupts, battlerez etc etc cooldowns of your 19 fellow raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by Otimus View Post

Addons aren't essential at all, they help some people sure but they're definitely not essential

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't mind playing with people that don't use addons...How ever if they play without addons and suck because of it, it makes me cringe a little. Addons are there for everyone and if you cant use the common sense to pick a few up to help you out in places you are struggling then you don't deserve to do well in the first place. If you don't use them and do just fine then it's all good. Don't ruin my experience because you want to play at a gimped level and refuse change.

Quote Originally Posted by lappee View Post
    Addons aren't essential at all, they help some people sure but they're definitely not essential
    Opening your eyes isn't essential either. You can play with your eyes shut and still kill quite a few bosses. You'd be a lot more useful with your eyes open tho, just as you'd be a lot more useful with addons than without.

Quote Originally Posted by HuxNeva View Post
    Link it as all I see are oneliners. What do you want proved?

- - - Updated - - -

WoW's UI design is intentionally open. They provide the bare minimum, and they rely on the community to come up with UI improvements. Once something becomes near universal (questhelper and gearscore are examples), they will incorporate it unless the community already does an excellent and stable job.

Formally this is a type of Open Innovation the embraces the Creative Consumer.

In this case specifically, the advantages (besides saving massive on UI R&D and support) are that the base UI can be realy simple for a new user, while dedicated UI elements can be configured specifically for the different niche player activities (Raiding, Goldmaking, Petbattles, M+, PvP, Roleplaying, Collecting, ...). Furthermore each player can personalize their UI to their own preference. Even the creation of new UI elements of certain types no longer requires coding but can in many cases be accomplished through graphical UI element toolkits such as Weak Auras.

People that assume the game is 'meant to be' played without addons are just misguided. The opposite is true.

- - - Updated - - -

Weakauras enables you to see that the next high damage mob cast will go though as everyone's interrupt is on Cooldown. It will also tell you your fellow healers still have a few seconds left before their big mitigation raid CD comes up so it will be up to you to prevent the wipe. Not usefull?

I have yet to hear of a guild the requires a damage meter.
    I mean... okay, yeah. But to me, that just sounds like a fancy way of saying "Blizzard just wants customers to do their work". Like, the game is made for turbo-casuals. This is especially bad design for turbo-casuals. I'd even venture to guess that this is probably one of a few of the reasons why those turbo-casuals don't graduate into non-turbo casuals, and like.. do anything besides LFD and LFR. The game isn't made to ease people into jack.

(Though! I'd even argue that they're moderately essential for even LFR. At least for a few of the people to have certain mods and carry the rest, unless you want to kill everything through determination or whatever.)

Quote Originally Posted by re1gn1te View Post
    If you think you need them maybe you're bad or can't pay attention to things. Do they make it easier? Yeah for sure and if that's what you want then yeah use 400 addons.
    So you are so good that you know EXACTLY how much time is left until next adds spawn / the next big ability you have to dodge etc? You have to plan stuff for that. If you see high prio target comming in in 15s you don't use cds because 'it frels right'... Addons are there to maximize your output during the fight. And if you are not using them your handicap yourself and your group by doing less dmg / risking wipe.

Btw. I am aware that you posted that answer just for the sake of argue with someone. Or you are not aware how much better you can play with addons.