Page 1 of 31
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.

[Megathread] The Outer Worlds - Developed by Obsidian

EDIT: It's an epic game store semi-exclusive. I encourage people to boycott this game or at the very least get it through the Microsoft Store instead of Epic.

https://twitter.com/OuterWorlds/stat...23193138618369

WELCOME TO
    THE FUTURE

TRY NOT TO BREAK IT
    The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division. Lost in transit while on a colonist ship bound for the furthest edge of the galaxy, you awake decades later only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy the Halcyon colony. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.

About This Game
    The Outer Worlds is a new single-player first-person sci-fi RPG from Obsidian Entertainment and Private Division.

In The Outer Worlds, you awake from hibernation on a colonist ship that was lost in transit to Halcyon, the furthest colony from Earth located at the edge of the galaxy, only to find yourself in the midst of a deep conspiracy threatening to destroy it. As you explore the furthest reaches of space and encounter various factions, all vying for power, the character you decide to become will determine how this player-driven story unfolds. In the corporate equation for the colony, you are the unplanned variable.

Key Features
    • The player-driven story RPG: In keeping with the Obsidian tradition, how you approach The Outer Worlds is up to you. Your choices affect not only the way the story develops; but your character build, companion stories, and end game scenarios.
    • You can be flawed, in a good way: New to The Outer Worlds is the idea of flaws. A compelling hero is made by the flaws they carry with them. While playing The Outer Worlds, the game tracks your experience to find what you aren't particularly good at. Keep getting attacked by Raptidons? Taking the Raptiphobia flaw gives you a debuff when confronting the vicious creatures, but rewards you with an additional character perk immediately. This optional approach to the game helps you build the character you want while exploring Halcyon.
    • Lead your companions: During your journey through the furthest colony, you will meet a host of characters who will want to join your crew. Armed with unique abilities, these companions all have their own missions, motivations, and ideals. It's up to you to help them achieve their goals, or turn them to your own ends.
    • Explore the corporate colony: Halcyon is a colony at the edge of the galaxy owned and operated by a corporate board. They control everything... except for the alien monsters left behind when the terraforming of the colony’s two planets didn’t exactly go according to plan. Find your ship, build your crew, and explore the settlements, space stations, and other intriguing locations throughout Halcyon.

Despite recently being acquired by Microsoft this’ll be on PS4 as well as Xbox One and PC.

It'll also have the dialogue we've come to expect from previous obsidian games, including skill checks.

Also, it won't be open world: https://twitter.com/MikeyDowling/sta...29290876944385
    Last edited by Aeula; 2019-04-13 at 10:21 PM.

Yes but a lot of people watch it so it's a good way to kick of marketing.

Looking forward to the announcement.
    World of Warcraft: Shadowblands
    Diablo Bore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of human potential (and non-toxic masculinity)
    Im optimistic. I don't think Microsoft has much to do with this game, (and hopefully won't help it by forcing faster release etc), so it seems like things will be all right.

I just hope they will break bad streak with low sales with that one.
    Also, them saying that this game is something fans of arcanum will like, really gives me hope.

It will be marketed as an Obsidian title, even though the small minority know it isn't. "But, but it's a separate studio...."

Banjo Kazoorie on XBox, developed by "Rare" says hi.

C&C, SimCity, SWTOR, Mass Effect ... Diablo .....

I'm sure the new title will generate alot of chatter, good or bad. It will realistically help cover the cost of acquisition ($$ and more $$), then become another meme...

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    https://www.obsidian.net/

Their website has advertisements themed around the upcoming game. It looks very... Fallout-y (Though it's obviously not going to be).

Some people are saying the game will be based on this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundation_series

7+ Year Old Account
    Obsidian has made some good stuff so i hope whatever they are making is good.

Flash Gordon, the RPG.

10+ Year Old Account
    fallout76 new vegas :s

That'd be good news if their head writer didn't leave (maybe fired?) a year ago. People need to temper themselves, Pillars of Eternity 2 was considerably more mediocre than 1 due to Chris Avellone's departure

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    It will be marketed as an Obsidian title, even though the small minority know it isn't. "But, but it's a separate studio...."

Banjo Kazoorie on XBox, developed by "Rare" says hi.

C&C, SimCity, SWTOR, Mass Effect ... Diablo .....

I'm sure the new title will generate alot of chatter, good or bad. It will realistically help cover the cost of acquisition ($$ and more $$), then become another meme...
    This game has nothing to do with MS and was in development long before they ever acquired them.

You won't see an actual MS published Obsidian game for years yet.

Also for the people wondering, it seems 2K will be the publisher for this game. Probably trying to fill that void their lineup has had since BioShock Infinite.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm usually excited for Obsidian RPGs but I'm not sure will I like the setting they seem to be going with this time. But I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt regardless.

Oh I hope Microsoft won't f*** up like Bethesda did and give them an unreasonable short time frame to finish it.

They are honestly dead now. Being bought by microsoft means no more steam version and it goes on the god awful Windows store. On top of that, I feel a bit betrayed after backing them on KS to continue being an independent studio and then they turn around and sell off to Microsoft, who will just pull a Lion's Head on them and shut them down if their games don't do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    They are honestly dead now. Being bought by microsoft means no more steam version and it goes on the god awful Windows store. On top of that, I feel a bit betrayed after backing them on KS to continue being an independent studio and then they turn around and sell off to Microsoft, who will just pull a Lion's Head on them and shut them down if their games don't do well.
    While that may be the future it does not effect this game.

Take Two is the publisher of this game. Not MS.

MS has nothing to do with this game. This game is going to be on steam, ps4. Maybe even switch if it's not that demanding.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Exeris View Post
    Oh I hope Microsoft won't f*** up like Bethesda did and give them an unreasonable short time frame to finish it.
    Game is already near finished FFS and MS has nothing to do with it... It will be a 2019 multiplatform release.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Game is already near finished FFS and MS has nothing to do with it... It will be a 2019 multiplatform release.
    I was a bit quick on the post trigger there, well, good news then! I might even dare get my hopes up.

10+ Year Old Account
    FF14 > WoW. Not an opinion, that's facts.
    Probably a new Fallout game from the looks of it, that'll let people forget the fiasco that is Fallout 76.

Still can't believe that Bethesda released such a horrible game. Even a Fallout Online would've been better than that.

Quote Originally Posted by TriHard View Post
    Probably a new Fallout game from the looks of it, that'll let people forget the fiasco that is Fallout 76.

Still can't believe that Bethesda released such a horrible game. Even a Fallout Online would've been better than that.
    It's not a fallout game. Take Two is the publisher.

It is however being lead by 2 of the original creators of Fallout, Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky.

I think Apple was in the middle of funding a TV series for Foundation as well.

FYI, this is probably the game that both Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky are working on, they gave us Fallout, Arcanum, Bloodlines and Temple of Elemental Evil. We'll see soon.

Deleted
    Judging by the art itself it looks like cyberpunk meets 1950's futuristic vision of the world. Some kind of a retro-futuristic RPG?