How long will this build last?

Hey.

This is my current build
    Gigabyte Aorus Ga-z270X-Gaming 5
    I7-7700k.
    G.skill trident Z 16gb (2x8) 2400 MHz ram. Cl16 (don't really know what that means )
    Samsung 850 Evo ssd where i have windows.
    Msi 2080 Ti Ventus OC (sadly, couldn't get hold of the Gaming X trio)

EvGa SuperNova 1000W
    Kraken x62 cpu cooler.

How long should this build be lasting ?

I know the graphic card and psu is good for years to come. Maybe get 2 more ram down the line, but i doubt i would really need more than 16 for gaming.

How much of an improvement would it be if i swapped out the motherboard and cpu to Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master + I9-9900k ?
    and maybe higher hz ram like g.skill trident Z 3200MHz 32gb ?

The thing is, i kinda wanna replace my pc case and cpu cooler. Not a fan of the kraken, and the i7-7700k Runs really hot. Not gonna delid it. So was thinking while i already had all the parts out of the pc to put into a new case, maybe some new parts "accidentaly" fell into the new case.
    But this is crazy right ? would cost way more than the gain i would get ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Your pc will be good for a couple years. Like 2-3 ish, minimum. We're getting to the point where games need more than 4 threads, but you should be good on a 7700k for a while. If you do upgrade to a 97/9900k, you probably are looking at a 5-10% increase in cpu performance single core and about the same in games. That's just not worth it if you ask me.

That said, it's up to you if it is worth it to you

What are your temps with the Kraken x62 ?

Ofc it all depends on your use case. But talking purely games, if nothing breaks I'd say 3-5 years depending on when games start utilizing more CPU power outside bad DRM implementations. And even then it should be fine really as the vast vast majority of gamers are still at 4c/4t or less.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mrgreenthump View Post
    Ofc it all depends on your use case. But talking purely games, if nothing breaks I'd say 3-5 years depending on when games start utilizing more CPU power outside bad DRM implementations. And even then it should be fine really as the vast vast majority of gamers are still at 4c/4t or less.
    Depends on the next console generation. If they start running 8c/8t games and engines will be made with that in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Depends on the next console generation. If they start running 8c/8t games and engines will be made with that in mind.
    Ye I was gonna add that, but couldn't get it sound right when I was tired. It's pretty much granted they gonna go 8 or more Zen cores with the next generation of consoles. It would be silly to not go, but what comes out of it is a big question.

Are they going to take the offered power and increase the complexity of their games(which would result in them being unplayble at lower tier CPUs) or are they going to use it for something that can be easily tuned down to make it work with lower computing power.

Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    What are your temps with the Kraken x62 ?
    Getting about 74 degrees on the i7 heavy load. But it is a really hot cpu. idle is around 40

And what kind of temps you think other AiOs will get under heavly load ?

I would guesstimate mid-way through the next gen you will still play everything at max or near max settings.
    Especially if the consoles go with a AMD GPU again.

CPU & GPU development is slowing to a snails pace, they are going to hit a wall in the mid 2020's I bet you.
    Their only recourse will be changing out silicon for graphene or something else.