Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Is it cheating if.....

Your instructor posts an extra credit assignment that was to give the artist name & title for 10 songs to get extra credit and you use shazam to make sure you get them right? Asking for a friend and hypothetically obviously...

no its research made easy
    WORLD POPULATION
    U.S pop 318.2 million,Mexico pop 122.3 million ,Russia 143.5 million S.K 50.22 million China 1.357 billion ,United Kingdom 64.1 million, Europe "as a whole" 742.5 million, Canada 35.16 million, South America 387.5 million,Africa 1.111 billion , Middle east 205 Million , Asia "not counting china" 3.009 B ,Greenland 56k,, Iceland 323k, S/N pole 1k-5k/2k

Sounds like a lack of awareness of said shazam for the teacher assigning the extra credit.

I thought this was going to be about relationships.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gaymer77 View Post
    Your instructor posts an extra credit assignment that was to give the artist name & title for 10 songs to get extra credit and you use shazam to make sure you get them right? Asking for a friend and hypothetically obviously...
    It ain't cheating if the instructor didn't put restrictions in place.

Is this a real school? Unless it's for music studies of some kind, that is a garbage extra credit question.

Only if you fuck the professor.

if you have to ask then yes it probably is.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless the assignment says that you have to do it from memory then my answer would be 'no, its not cheating'.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Did the instructor specifically forbid you from looking up the info? Like, are you supposed to do them from memory? Cause if not, then I don't see why google or shazam or hell, just going to a music store and picking up random cd's wouldn't count.....

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    Is this a real school? Unless it's for music studies of some kind, that is a garbage extra credit question.
    Aren't you the killjoy. It was a FUN assignment for extra credit. Its a whole 10 points toward our overall grade which has a total of 610 points possible in the class. BTW extra credit doesn't have to be assignments based on information taught/in relation to stuff for the class. It could literally be "wipe the blackboards and I'll give you 10 points" or "go to this school play and I'll give you 10 points". Sheash!

Aren't you the killjoy. It was a FUN assignment for extra credit. Its a whole 10 points toward our overall grade which has a total of 610 points possible in the class. BTW extra credit doesn't have to be assignments based on information taught/in relation to stuff for the class. It could literally be "wipe the blackboards and I'll give you 10 points" or "go to this school play and I'll give you 10 points". Sheash!
    When you use the forum as your personal blog, you're going to incur a degree of hostility.

10+ Year Old Account
    Based in the information given, I'm going to say it isn't cheating as long as you listen to all of the songs afterward.

it is called "clever use of game mechanics".
    i would definitely do it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stelio Kontos View Post
    When you use the forum as your personal blog, you're going to incur a degree of hostility.
    I posed a question to this forum under the off-topic section. You came along being Mr Buzzkill and the proceeded to be Mr Asshole. Grats to you!

I posed a question to this forum under the off-topic section. You came along being Mr Buzzkill and the proceeded to be Mr Asshole. Grats to you!
    Sure thing, Mr Attention-seeker

very odd ‘assignment’ but yeah why would it be cheating lol

10+ Year Old Account
    It depends on whether the question is designed to test your existing personal knowledge of music or your ability to research music. In the first case it is cheating, in the second it is perfectly permissible.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Your instructor posts an extra credit assignment that was to give the artist name & title for 10 songs to get extra credit and you use shazam to make sure you get them right?
    Is there any reason for you to believe that using Shazam was prohibited for this assignment?

At face value it seems that the requirement for the assignment was to simply gather some information and that everyone was free to use whatever resources they had at their disposal to do so. However the fact that you have chosen to ask this question would seem to indicate that maybe there is more to this than you are letting on.

Who cares if you cheat in a course that seems to have no value and worthwhile grading standard? Swipe him a 10er as well, maybe you get another 10 fun points.