Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    One side of my family does this sort of thing, but usually at lower price points. I think we do the $5 game and the $1 game, plus any gifts we actually want to get people. Before we used to do a Secret Santa where you draw a name out of a hat around Thanksgiving and then have up to a $25 gift for that person later at Christmas, but we stopped recently.

7+ Year Old Account
    50 dollars in grocery store fruit cake.

Adult onesies.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

So White elephant gifts are usually supposed to be a gag I thought, yours are all nice gifts everyone would want. Our White Elephant gift exchange has a $5.00 limit on it. Usually its like socks, a random Thong, weird foods things like that.

I second the cash-presented-in-a-funny-way idea. People like money, it's hard to buy things for a diverse group of people.

I like getting fun toys. The Bug-a-salt gun is always a hit and is under 50 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Bug-A-Salt-2-.../dp/B00STSZ77G

I have one myself and highly recommend.
    Last edited by Hadriker; 2018-12-06 at 07:40 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hadriker View Post
    I like getting fun toys. The Bug-a-salt gun is always a hit and is under 50 bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Bug-A-Salt-2-.../dp/B00STSZ77G
    I actually second this. I used it at work, but got in trouble and they took it away from me. Still fun.

Idk gifts people actually want doesn't sound like it's in the spirit of white elephant gifts

Isnt a White Elephant a gift that is burdensome, expensive to upkeep and is completely unwanted? or has the definition changed?

10+ Year Old Account
    I never called that white elephant but we did it with alcohol and gift cards.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

My family does the same thing but the gifts are around $15 and you can obtain multiples before the stealing phase begins. In the past we also included "bad" junk gifts along with the good ones. A lot of amusement in giving someone a bad gift while you steal their good one. We roll dice, if you get doubles you can pick up a gift, or trade in gift in the 2nd phase. The key to keeping what you want is to pick gifts that are pretty good but not the best, so people don't care to steal.

Outside of the standard gift cards, etc as good gifts. $20 scratch off games are fun to include.

I'm that wild and inappropriate relative.

I'd buy a dildo that was $50. I don't care if the kids are there. This is family shit. WE all will have a laugh.

Dildo. Do it. Nobody will be disappointed. If they do, they'll laugh later.

such a racist game..

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post

I'd buy a dildo that was $50. I don't care if the kids are there. This is family shit. WE all will have a laugh.

Make it a rule they have to use the present right then and there... no matter what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Weeps View Post

I was going to suggest bad dragon lol.

7+ Year Old Account
    Jeff Goldblum cut out + the Mildred Snitzer Orchestra album

50 lotto tickets.

That way you can reveal who has the gambling addition in your family and follow up with a rehab gift card for their birthday.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kjhidhg View Post
    Isnt a White Elephant a gift that is burdensome, expensive to upkeep and is completely unwanted? or has the definition changed?
    yes, thats the original intention of the game. To buy a bunch of strange and useless shit that people try to pawn off on others. But nowadays it generally just means a gift exchange where you can be cutthroat with stealing a better gift.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Razehope View Post
    Idk gifts people actually want doesn't sound like it's in the spirit of white elephant gifts
    Quote Originally Posted by kjhidhg View Post
    It's our take on the game, because we dont do gifts. So this way we can have fun and everyone goes home with something they want, and no one is blowing hundreds buying individual gifts.

Thanks everyone, some great ideas in here.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

White elephant shaped cake or cookies??
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Splenda View Post
    Help please!

Every year my family does a White Elephant gift game. Basically we all spend $50 on a gift, wrap it anonymously, and put them in a pile. Everyone draws a number, and we open in order, and people can steal gifts and stuff.

The limit is $50, so I need gift ideas that cost roughly that much.

Here's some ideas from Christmases in the past to help you get an idea:

Sherpa blanket + coffee + bookstore gift card
    High quality slow cooker
    Gift card to Cinetopia
    Gift box with Star Wars themed items
    Ice cream maker

Etc.

Any ideas are helpful, my family is VERY diverse so any ideas are good.
    What a stupid idea... Noone wants a random gift... It's just a waste of time and money, as most of the junk will go straight back to the shop.

In my family, the rule is: No wishlist, no gift.. Budget is only 500DKK (65-70 Euro) per giver per reciptant... It works much much better..
    Last edited by FuxieDK; 2018-12-07 at 05:11 AM.
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FuxieDK View Post
    What a stupid idea... Noone wants a random gift... It's just a waste of time and money, as most of the junk will go straight back to the shop.

In my family, the rule is: No wishlist, no gift.. Budget is only 500DKK (65-70 Euro) per giver per reciptant... It works much much better..
    Funny enough we all enjoy it, so thanks.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)