Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

Another Nostalrius case, but with TBC this time?

So I read something on this forum, about sodapoppin mentioning his interest concerning TBC (https://clips.twitch.tv/MoldyNurturingMageWoofer)

Which made me take a bigger look at all of this, and lead me to a particular subreddit which mentioned this "netherwing" thing:

[MOD SNIP]

Do you think this is something that makes sense, in a "legit" way, since Blizzard only answered the cries of vanilla fans so far? I mean, it does look like a lot of people out there are kinda...done with vanilla I guess?

I didn't think that big streamers would be interested, but some seem to be.

Are we heading towards another Nostalrius case, but with TBC this time around?
    Last edited by mmoc882c92b498; 2018-12-12 at 06:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortextex View Post
    So I read something on this forum, about sodapoppin mentioning his interest concerning TBC (https://clips.twitch.tv/MoldyNurturingMageWoofer)

Which made me take a bigger look at all of this, and lead me to a particular subreddit:

[MOD SNIP]

Do you think this is something that makes sense, in a "legit" way, since Blizzard only answered the cries of vanilla fans so far? I mean, it does look like a lot of people out there are kinda...done with vanilla I guess?

Honestly, even classic doesn't really make much sense. You're stretching resources to make an aproximate version of an old version that is only there to serve a minority, and holds no greater future.
    Last edited by xskarma; 2018-12-11 at 11:33 PM.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Honestly, even classic doesn't really make much sense. You're stretching resources to make an aproximate version of an old version that is only there to serve a minority, and holds no greater future.
    Holy shit dude you have to rush to Blizzard HQ and explain to them that vanilla is a waste of time!! I can't believe a billion dollar company is stretching their resources to develop a failure now when BFA is such a success.

On a serious note, it's been a long time since a good TBC server launched and the community are hyped for the two up and coming servers that look like they've had good development put in to them. One is already released however and the other one will be coming in januari. It's nothing to worry about, people are not done with vanilla, the same players are currently raidlogging vanilla while putting some time in to TBC.

If Classic does well it might be to their advantage to also do TBC down the road. I would rather see them continue adding content to Classic within the design parameters of Classic personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Craftermain View Post
    Holy shit dude you have to rush to Blizzard HQ and explain to them that vanilla is a waste of time!! I can't believe a billion dollar company is stretching their resources to develop a failure now when BFA is such a success.

On a serious note, it's been a long time since a good TBC server launched and the community are hyped for the two up and coming servers that look like they've had good development put in to them. One is already released however and the other one will be coming in januari. It's nothing to worry about, people are not done with vanilla, the same players are currently raidlogging vanilla while putting some time in to TBC.
    Where the hell did you see that statement? For I sure as hell didn't write that.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

10+ Year Old Account
    Classic was only made to make money on nostalgia-hungry idiots.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vortextex View Post

Which made me take a bigger look at all of this, and lead me to a particular subreddit:

[MOD SNIP]

So they make classic, the furthest thing from current wow possible, good.
    then people want TBC, before classic is EVEN OUT. so they start working on a TBC server
    then people who like wotlk want wotlk
    then cata
    then mop
    then legion
    then BFA (By this time for sure the next 2-3 maybe 4 expansions would be out)

then at this point you have a 1 in 1000+ chance to be able to play with a friend

"What expansion are you on?"
    "What server are you on?" (Later expansions this would not matter somewhat)
    "What faction are you on?"
    "What level are you?"
    Last edited by xskarma; 2018-12-11 at 11:33 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    If Classic does well it might be to their advantage to also do TBC down the road. I would rather see them continue adding content to Classic within the design parameters of Classic personally.
    If they do expand on Classic, it will be to The Burning Crusade, it won't be newly developed content. The people who would be "adding content" would be the current developers, and they were getting blasted over having phasing turned on for a short amount of time at launch. Not to mention getting blasted for ruining the current retail game by a large percentage of the player base. How are people going to react when they add new content and it doesn't meet expectations? Please don't bring up any kind of voting system either, it's just not a good idea.

Once they announced Classic it was pretty clear they were going to redo at least BC and Wrath afterwards, as those private servers were always extremely popular too, years down the line. It's about money, this will make them money. But in the meantime of course Blizzard is going to keep shutting down private servers, they've been shutting them down since Wrath days, it's nothing new.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    TBC has long been in demand. For some reason it’s impossible to find a good TBC private server (While Vanilla and Wrath ones are dime a dozen).

For me, it’s the expansion I want the most. I played on a TBC server for a while until the bugs and lack of scripting made me quit. I enjoyed it way more than vanilla that’s for damn sure.

Quote Originally Posted by francism View Post
    If they do expand on Classic, it will be to The Burning Crusade, it won't be newly developed content. The people who would be "adding content" would be the current developers, and they were getting blasted over having phasing turned on for a short amount of time at launch. Not to mention getting blasted for ruining the current retail game by a large percentage of the player base. How are people going to react when they add new content and it doesn't meet expectations? Please don't bring up any kind of voting system either, it's just not a good idea.
    Well once it is in place they could easily make another server since WoW's server end is not really that difficult for them to duplicate and take the game on a different path keeping Classic as is.

10+ Year Old Account
    I could understand that someone could think that it could be the role of a community to preserve a game, if it was legal to do so. it is not in the case of wow with blizzard behind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    except its included in the sub price, and i seriously doubt many, other than a handful, will re-sub JUST for Classic

Salty Feline Overlord Beerbill Society's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is San Junípero, but instead of decades we choose expansions.

"... And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." - Ezekiel 25:17

"My name is Legion: for we are many." - Mark 5:9
    My characters :3

7+ Year Old Account
    Doing everything from classic to wrath will net them a significant number of players, many that are only interested in one particular expansion.

Personally I'd very much enjoy to do TBC again, and not some private server because ultimately they do all fall short of providing a high quality experience though Netherwing from what I've seen and played on it's BETA it the closest so far to achieve what TBC was.
    "Life is one long series of problems to solve. The more you solve, the better a man you become.... Tribulations spawn in life and over and over again we must stand our ground and face them."

Blizzard already officially asked the question on if there was interest in this. The suggestion seemed to be hinting at Blizzard considering the possible future scenario:

Classic Server
    Burning Crusade Server
    Wrath of the Lich King Server

You can play indefinitely on Classic. Get your toon to 50 and gear them out and stay forever.
    Or....

You can get to 50 on Classic and then transfer to Burning Crusade server. Once there, you cannot transfer back. You could stay there indefinitely or eventually transfer onward again.

It's not set in stone, it's not been pitched as something they're planning, it was absolutely nothing more than "would there be interest in further such servers?"

Keep in mind, World of Warcraft is a piece of video game, and even modern cultural, history and Blizzard may see this as a bit of a preservation project as well. The idea of having contained expansion capped servers that can be transferred to is a different approach and a new spin on what EverQuest used to do with new servers being launched as "progression servers" where only original content was active until certain requirements were met to launch the first expansion's content. Blizz would be able to do similar by having the "certain requirements" trigger the availability of the transfer to the next expansion server.

Again, nothing I'm saying here is meant to be "this is what Blizzard is planning" only that there was the question posed that lends some credibility to the idea that they've at least thought of this as a future possibility if Classic proves successful.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    Blizzard already officially asked the question on if there was interest in this. The suggestion seemed to be hinting at Blizzard considering the possible future scenario:

Classic Server
    Burning Crusade Server
    Wrath of the Lich King Server

You can play indefinitely on Classic. Get your toon to 50 and gear them out and stay forever.
    Or....

You can get to 50 on Classic and then transfer to Burning Crusade server. Once there, you cannot transfer back. You could stay there indefinitely or eventually transfer onward again.

It's not set in stone, it's not been pitched as something they're planning, it was absolutely nothing more than "would there be interest in further such servers?"

Keep in mind, World of Warcraft is a piece of video game, and even modern cultural, history and Blizzard may see this as a bit of a preservation project as well. The idea of having contained expansion capped servers that can be transferred to is a different approach and a new spin on what EverQuest used to do with new servers being launched as "progression servers" where only original content was active until certain requirements were met to launch the first expansion's content. Blizz would be able to do similar by having the "certain requirements" trigger the availability of the transfer to the next expansion server.

Again, nothing I'm saying here is meant to be "this is what Blizzard is planning" only that there was the question posed that lends some credibility to the idea that they've at least thought of this as a future possibility if Classic proves successful.
    This is personally where i see them going and the best case they could think of. People look at it as releasing classic as a game and bitch about paying a sub for retail to play it. When in reality, classic is just side content to help stabilize sub numbers during content droughts of live.

Eventually they WILL stop producing new content and go into maintenance mode. When this becomes the case, they have a far better chance of lasting if they have, in a way, immortalized their game in this way. Even if the classic numbers aren't mind-blowing at first, they are playing the long game and the forum warriors are only looking at their short-term wants.

15+ Year Old Account
    How many times does this have to be explained to you people? Seriously, 100? 1000?
    Blizz hired a SMALL, separate team to work on classic. It takes NOTHING from current retail PERIOD BLANK.

The team working on BfA seems to be inadequate I agree, but the classic devs are not the cause.
    I blame lack of vision and arrogance. Could 50 more devs help? Yes but only if they had a clue how to please their player base.
    Blizz has shown time and time again they actively stamp out fun and ignore the very legs they stand on to press their own half baked systems.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    If you don't care for classic servers, why are you commenting?
    FFS, I am amazed how you haters are just so consumed about others doing and liking what you don't.

Anyway on topic. The release of Classic servers have PS providers wanting to diversify since many players are planing on subbing again, I have seen lots of talk on this and you can bet MANY players will leave private servers. Focusing on TBC makes the most sense and there is a lot of interest from the community.
    I see ZERO evidence of people losing interest in vanilla however. Those leaving PS will return to their homes if the hijackers have their way and screw up classic.
    Last edited by Animalhouse; 2018-12-11 at 10:14 PM.
    “We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.”

Vanilla servers have always been the most popular / populated ones. That's why Classic is vanilla.

But yeah I'd love a "Classic: TBC" as well. Fucking loved TBC but never got to raid anything more than Kara/ZA/gruul/mag before WOTLK released, since I hit 70 like 2 months before it. TBC's class balance is honestly the best in the entire series, with hybrids becoming raid viable but still being weaker than pures, classes still having niches, strengths and weaknesses, certain class issues getting fixed (like warrior having no aoe threat), and lots of new abilities/talents to make things function much more smoothly. It feels like a logical progression from vanilla.

- - - Updated - - -

holds no greater future.
    vanilla pservers have been running for over 10 years now

"no greater future" ?

Quote Originally Posted by FelPlague View Post

"What expansion are you on?"
    "What server are you on?" (Later expansions this would not matter somewhat)
    "What faction are you on?"
    "What level are you?"
    As opposed to want to play BFA? No thanks.