Page 9 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    Were they doing that for DA2? ME3?

Good lord, the whinging about SJW's is more annoying that the actual SJW nonsense at this point. The number of YT channels that have cropped up to make bank off the outrage from anti-SJW's always looking for more things to get angry about continues to impress me. It's a nice little cottage industry.
    I seem to recall them doing it for da 2. Also im not even outraged, just shaking my head.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    I'm not saying they are, but any sort of dark feeling that was in Origins simply isn't present in sequels anymore.That's subtle dead in the back of your mind.
    After the reacent products from EA I'm not being particulary optimistic about improvement.
    DAI was plenty dark; the Red Templars enslaving and torturing that one town; that one blind dude Corypheus chained and tortured that you end up leaving there to suffer after he helps you, the mage/templar war, the whole deal with the lord seeker, . Idk, I just don't see the transition that you're talking about I guess, but more importantly I don't see how anything he said was a lie.

Here's a Codex entry from the game:
    "He [templar] stayed while other templars ran after mages. He took things from the bodies. One body was moving. It had long hair and a burned dress. The templar started to take off his armor..."

tell me that isn't dark, please. I'd even point to Cole's entire story as being especially dark, if you want something that was more "main focus" in the narrative. Dude starved to death and suffered so much his shriveled body was possessed by a sympathetic demon.
    Last edited by Nurasu; 2018-12-12 at 10:54 PM.

Enjoyed DA2 a bit more than DA:I. The latter felt too MMORPG'ey for my Single Player RPG tastes.

Wasn't too bothered by it's "SJW Agenda" though. However if it's being stated up front, this early, about DA:4, then it's indeed a bit worrying that it might be a bit too much.

Will still play it though. One way or another.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    Another coinky dink their earlier games are praised beyond belief when they werent putting in socjus shit so they can get brownie points on twitter. Sucks you cant see the pattern here.
    Again, the only reason they didn't put a lesbian in a Star Wars game is because LucasArts put their foot down and told them no. Jade Empire let you play as a lesbian also, if memory serves, as did ME1 (but no gay guys until ME3, tho, that's just icky). Bioware has literally always been like that. It only became an issue when stuff like GamerGate happened and the anti-SJW movement really took form and started bashing on that sort of thing 24/7.

I certainly put no stock in Youtube channels that talk all day about EA and SJWs for pure clickbait purposes. For frick's sake half the linked video whines about Battlefield V which isn't done by the same devs at all. With that sort of mentality why not have a video about Doom Eternal where you spend half of it crying about Fallout 76.

Quote Originally Posted by Nurasu View Post
    They had to fit so much social justice into DA2 they had to reuse environments. ME3's ending was entirely SJW pandering as well. If only they hadn't started this trend 20 years ago in KOTOR! They might have become a successful studio!
    I'm the first to realize that some of the characters in DA:I and especially ME:A were definitely SJW driven, but the ending of ME3? That was just bad because they wanted to tie everything the player did over 3 massive games together in a neat package, to keep their univserse tidy if when come back later and save a few bucks by using 3 different filters for the same cinematic. That the fans came up with a better explanation to the ending than them is just the amusing cherry on top. Not sure what was SJW about it though..

Quote Originally Posted by Rendark View Post
    Inquisition was a disappointment? That's news to me i really liked it.
    As someone who played it right after the witcher 3 I could barely make it through It. Personally not sure if it's bad or just bad timing
    We humans have to stick together

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MalfLFT View Post
    As someone who played it right after the witcher 3 I could barely make it through It. Personally not sure if it's bad or just bad timing
    Witcher 3 is better. Tho i really don't like witcher 3 all that much. It's a good game but the story is meh.

DAI was plenty dark; the Red Templars enslaving and torturing that one town; that one blind dude Corypheus chained and tortured that you end up leaving there to suffer after he helps you, the mage/templar war, the whole deal with the lord seeker, . Idk, I just don't see the transition that you're talking about I guess, but more importantly I don't see how anything he said was a lie.

Here's a Codex entry from the game:
    "He [templar] stayed while other templars ran after mages. He took things from the bodies. One body was moving. It had long hair and a burned dress. The templar started to take off his armor..."

tell me that isn't dark, please.
    But there's no lingering fear.
    The main badguy isn't threatning at all (if the fact that he was a throwaway villain from the previous installment wasn't enough) and he acts like a cartoon villain and as a result, his forces feel non-threatening, if anything they're more of a nuisance.
    And if I have to read a codex to instill into the player a sense of dread and isn't integrated into the story itself then the writer hasn't done a good job.

It's not the same as the constant lurking threat of darkspawn, their origins in religion, how they're reproduced and the knowledge you can die if you just happen do ingest their blood, or at least go mad.

So this has become less about EA and now more about Bioware and Dice turning to shit themselves. At this point I don't really care if they go under.

The main badguy isn't threatning at all (if the fact that he was a throwaway villain from the previous installment wasn't enough) and he acts like a cartoon villain and as a result, his forces feel non-threatening, if anything they're more of a nuisance.
    And if I have to read a codex to instill into the player a sense of dread and isn't integrated into the story itself then the writer hasn't done a good job.

It's not the same as the constant lurking threat of darkspawn, their origins in religion, how they're reproduced and the knowledge you can die if you just happen do ingest their blood, or at least go mad.
    ...what?

There's a literal apocalypse happening. The villain is trying to become a God and nearly succeeds.

Who cares if Corypheus was introduced in the last DLC of DA2. That has no bearing on anything.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account

I don't think any of that has to do with the quality of the writing but rather the direction of the story.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I'm more interested to see what they're planning for character options. New character only? Inquisitor is back? The unthinkable option of returning your Gray Warden (if they survived in your playthrough)?
    All the other stuff aside, that is one of the major questions for me as well. I would really like to contine playing my inqusitor, but I very much doubt they will allow you to do that. At best you will be able to meet him/her I guess. They only ever did that once with the first expansion of origins and since then we kept getting a new player character. Even though this time around with the setup of the story and the way the previous one ended it would make so much more sense to allow us to keep playing the Inquisitor.

I also need to figure out if I make my female elf inquisitor that romanced Solas canon or my human male wizard. I usually go for the old mage roleplay, but if you could play it from such a personal angle it almost feels like you'd have to do that. I would be immensely disapointed if that didn't unlock at least one unique option. Even if you can't play as the inqusitor.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    All the other stuff aside, that is one of the major questions for me as well. I would really like to contine playing my inqusitor, but I very much doubt they will allow you to do that. At best you will be able to meet him/her I guess. They only ever did that once with the first expansion of origins and since then we kept getting a new player character. Even though this time around with the setup of the story and the way the previous one ended it would make so much more sense to allow us to keep playing the Inquisitor.

I also need to figure out if I make my female elf inquisitor that romanced Solas canon or my human male wizard. I usually go for the old mage roleplay, but if you could play it from such a personal angle it almost feels like you'd have to do that. I would be immensely disapointed if that didn't unlock at least one unique option. Even if you can't play as the inqusitor.
    The Inquisitor only has one arm left, so I doubt you'll be playing as them. I would expect Dorian to return (ala Varric), but no idea on the rest of the cast.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jastall View Post
    Again, the only reason they didn't put a lesbian in a Star Wars game is because LucasArts put their foot down and told them no. Jade Empire let you play as a lesbian also, if memory serves, as did ME1 (but no gay guys until ME3, tho, that's just icky). Bioware has literally always been like that. It only became an issue when stuff like GamerGate happened and the anti-SJW movement really took form and started bashing on that sort of thing 24/7.

I certainly put no stock in Youtube channels that talk all day about EA and SJWs for pure clickbait purposes. For frick's sake half the linked video whines about Battlefield V which isn't done by the same devs at all. With that sort of mentality why not have a video about Doom Eternal where you spend half of it crying about Fallout 76.
    No it became an issue when this shit became formulaic and nothing more than virtue signaling. No one cared then because they were just characters in a game and that was the end of it.

For the last few years it wasn't just a characters in games anymore, it has basically become tokenism... Its like they go down a diversity checklist checking a "marginalized" group off as they go. And instead of a character being in a game that happens to be gay, they actually design a character around being gay, to where literally the whole point of the character and their story is to simply be there and be gay; to check off that gay romance option.

And they do this kind of thing now for no other reason than to virtue signal. Something made entirely clear by the fact that these developers continually go out of their way to draw attention to these kinds of things, they are basically like "Look at us, aren't we so progressive and inclusive!? Everyone give us a round of applause, we're just the greatest!"

Even more so of late seemingly because of our currently hyper-partisan political climate, where everything has become 'us' versus 'them'... To where developers not only draw attention to these things so they can virtue signal, they know it will generate controversy and do it literally looking for a fight so they can virtue signal even more... "Oh well anyone who disagrees with me is an alt-right racist Nazi misogynist troll because I am on the right side of history! Everyone applaud me more for being so progressive! Yay diversity! Gib social media likes plis!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    It was "OK". But it wasn't anything special. Nobody is going to write home about inquisition. Nobody will remember it in the league of great games as they do others.
    I think I voted DA:I my game of the year that year... was 2014 a bad year for gaming because my top 2 games were DA:I and Shadow of Mordor, two good but not perfect games... I'll have to remind myself about what other games came out that year lol
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

The Inquisitor only has one arm left, so I doubt you'll be playing as them. I would expect Dorian to return (ala Varric), but no idea on the rest of the cast.
    You could always do something with that, it was just the hand after all. Use all that inquisiton money to get a magical prosthesis or something like that. But of course you are right, I have very little hope that we will actually get to play the inquisitor again, even if it was just optional.

Edit: Nvm, just rewatched the ending. It was at least up to elbow, maybe even further. For some reason I remembered that differently.
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2018-12-12 at 11:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Necroxis View Post
    ...what?

There's a literal apocalypse happening. The villain is trying to become a God and nearly succeeds.

Who cares if Corypheus was introduced in the last DLC of DA2. That has no bearing on anything.
    He has a perfect chance to kill you when you meet face to face for the 1st time... instead, he's making a grand speech about coming to a God for the next 3 minutes.
    And when he has the last chance to kill you he instead puts you in a position where you can run away.

Explain to me how is that good writing?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't think any of that has to do with the quality of the writing but rather the direction of the story.
    If you cannot make your enemy threatening, then it's poor writing quality.

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    No it became an issue when this shit became formulaic and nothing more than virtue signaling. No one cared then because they were just characters in a game and that was the end of it.

For the last few years it wasn't just a characters in games anymore, it has basically become tokenism... Its like they go down a diversity checklist checking a "marginalized" group off as they go. And instead of a character being in a game that happens to be gay, they actually design a character around being gay, to where literally the whole point of the character and their story is to simply be there and be gay; to check off that gay romance option.

And they do this kind of thing now for no other reason than to virtue signal. Something made entirely clear by the fact that these developers continually go out of their way to draw attention to these kinds of things, they are basically like "Look at us, aren't we so progressive and inclusive!? Everyone give us a round of applause, we're just the greatest!"

Even more so of late seemingly because of our currently hyper-partisan political climate, where everything has become 'us' versus 'them'... To where developers not only draw attention to these things so they can virtue signal, they know it will generate controversy and do it literally looking for a fight so they can virtue signal even more... "Oh well anyone who disagrees with me is an alt-right racist Nazi misogynist troll because I am on the right side of history! Everyone applaud me more for being so progressive! Yay diversity! Gib social media likes plis!"
    That's a nice rant and all, but can you point to Bioware actually filling a diversity quota with its characters, one that is out of place in the universe the game is set in? And not in a "the cast comes from diverse places across the world" way which is as bog standard as a trope gets for RPGs and would make the fucking Avengers SJW by association.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    He has a perfect chance to kill you when you meet face to face for the 1st time... instead, he's making a grand speech about coming to a God for the next 3 minutes.
    And when he has the last chance to kill you he instead puts you in a position where you can run away.

Explain to me how is that good writing?

- - - Updated - - -

If you cannot make your enemy threatening, then it's poor writing quality.
    Well, at least we've moved on from SJW pandering and lying devs to poor writing. Progress, even if I still disagree :P

He has a perfect chance to kill you when you meet face to face for the 1st time... instead, he's making a grand speech about coming to a God for the next 3 minutes
    No he doesn't. He tries to remove the anchor from you with the orb but he can't do it. And he needs the Anchor to control the breach. This happens at the same time as him talking about wanting to become a God. And you escape by literally causing an avalanche that buries his forces.

The literal only reason that Corpyheus doesn't succeed is because you happened to pick up the Orb when you randomly stumble upon him about to kill Divine Justinia before the prologue begins and accidentally obtains the Anchor.
    Last edited by Necroxis; 2018-12-12 at 11:43 PM.