Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Thelyron View Post
    I'd rather like to know why every fucking thing is named after Zul.
    The term "Zul" as a prefix is generally taken to be akin to the adjective "mighty" or "great." So Zul'jin would be "Great Jin" and Zul'Gurub would be "Great Gurub." "Jin" itself is often taken to mean "leader" or "master" - so Zul'jin's full name would be "Great Leader" or something akin to that. Zuldazar would basically be "Great Dazar," a testament to Dazar as the founder and first king of Zandalar.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    The term "Zul" as a prefix is generally taken to be akin to the adjective "mighty" or "great." So Zul'jin would be "Great Jin" and Zul'Gurub would be "Great Gurub." "Jin" itself is often taken to mean "leader" or "master" - so Zul'jin's full name would be "Great Leader" or something akin to that. Zuldazar would basically be "Great Dazar," a testament to Dazar as the founder and first king of Zandalar.
    Well, ain't that some shit. Thanks for explaining.

It's so ancient it was named before trolls invented the apostrophe.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    Why darnassus is called like so
    Those darn ashes, getting everywhere..
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

I always wondered the relation between the prophet Zul and all the troll city names starting with Zul.

10+ Year Old Account
    Epic Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerDaz View Post
    I always wondered the relation between the prophet Zul and all the troll city names starting with Zul.
    I don't know if Zul as a formal name is the same as it is in the prefix version, but it could be. Zul's name could just be an appellation, viewing himself as "the Great," or perhaps it's the Zandali version of virtue names like Chastity, Patience, Hope, Faith, etc. etc. - a trait or characteristic taken as given name.
    "We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see." ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

zuldazar is my city

I don't know if Zul as a formal name is the same as it is in the prefix version, but it could be. Zul's name could just be an appellation, viewing himself as "the Great," or perhaps it's the Zandali version of virtue names like Chastity, Patience, Hope, Faith, etc. etc. - a trait or characteristic taken as given name.
    It could be an explanation, yes.

My first assumption was that he was the founder of all of them, but i think they are much older than he his.
    My second assumption was that he was probably named after the famous expression or the troll meaning of Zul, just like the cities were, which is convergent with your idea.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by valax View Post
    zuldazar is my city
    I love it! Probably one of the best graphical and visual cities Blizzard has ever designed, if not the best one.
    Not very practicle to walk through though. I would place more than three flight paths there. At least 2 more: one in the professions area and the other near the mission ship.
    Last edited by RangerDaz; 2018-12-07 at 04:28 PM.

Not sure, but Zul'aman is MUCH cooler!

"You wanna come here? You stay fo-e-vah! We gunna berry you here..."

Don't mess with the coolest trolls, Amani!

10+ Year Old Account
    Burned Teldrassil, cooking up tasty delicacies with all the elven fat I can gather
    Because Dazar'alor is the actual capital, Zuldazar is just the name of the entire region.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyblader View Post
    It's a general rule though that if you play horde you are a bad person irl. It's just a scientific fact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    The game didn't give me any good reason to hate the horde. Forums did that.

Zuldazar's the region, my dude.

Deleted
    I call it Bulbasaur.

Quote Originally Posted by Ujimasa Hojo View Post
    Zul means great in troll right? Dazar apparently means city.
    Zul was the prophet and now a boss in Uldir.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nothingsjim View Post
    Instead of Zul'Dazar? In according to the tradition of other troll cities?

We have Zul'Gurub, Zul'Aman, Zul'Farrak, Zul'Drak. Why is Zuldazar suddenly not following this tradition? In fact, Zul'Dazar should very well be the first city named this way thus starting the tradition, due to the history of Zandalari Trolls.

Am I missing something?
    As a linguist, here are a few potential in-universe explanations:

* Despite speaking the same language, the Zandalari may have a slightly different writing system compared to the other trolls; perhaps the usage of apostrophes is an innovation introduced by later scribes, while using Zuldazar rather than Zul'Dazar represents a more archaic Zandali spelling. Here in Russia, older Russian cities have names like Novgorod (New City) or Belgorod (white city), while newer cities use the other, South Slavic-inspired form grad: Stalingrad, Kaliningrad.
    * Because Dazar was a person, while Aman and Gurub presumably were not, different spelling rules are used. "Zul" is used both for city names and personal names: perhaps the form "Zul'Dazar" was a variant name for the king himself, something like "Dazar the Great", while "Zuldazar" referred to the city only. Here in Russian, we have slightly different spelling rules for the town Pushkin, and the poet it was named after,
    * Perhaps the spelling Zuldazar as opposed to Zul'Dazar is merely a mistake of ancient non-troll translators, who did not understand the meaning of Zandali words and simply transcribed them into their languages like Darnassian or Common. Agian, when we look at Slavic city names, the Serbian capital Beograd is rendered in English as Belgrade, an archaic and imprecise spelling, while Stalingrad's English spelling is pretty close to its Russian pronounciation.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zulkhan View Post
    Because Dazar'alor is the actual capital, Zuldazar is just the name of the entire region.
    Zuldazar is the city (as well as its outskirts), Dazar'alor is just the northern bit. The port with the transmog guys and whatnot is not Dazar'alor.
    The shadowy Daughter of Urthona stood before red Orc,
    When fourteen suns had faintly journey'd o'er his dark abode:
    His food she brought in iron baskets, his drink in cups of iron:
    Crown'd with a helmet and dark hair the nameless female stood;

Mommy troll: What should we name our son?
    Daddy troll: Zul!
    Mommy troll: Great! Zul'what?
    Daddy troll: Just Zul. 'Cause he's the greatest.

And thus, Mr. and Mrs. Tray'tor had their minds made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Cæli View Post
    Why darnassus is called like so
    Because it was inspired by the Greek myths that involve Mount Parnassus near Delphi, which was sacred to Apollo and Dionysus, home of the Muses, and where Orpheus was taught music.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    "Orc want, orc take." and "Orc dissagrees, orc kill you to win argument."
    Quote Originally Posted by Toho View Post
    The Horde is basically the guy that gets mad that the guy that they just beat the crap out of had the audacity to bleed on them.
    Why no, people don't just like Sylvie for T&A: https://www.mmo-champion.com/threads...ery-Cinematic/