Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by malSheep View Post
    BA in Business Economics and IT.

I started out doing Computer Science, but programming alone couldn't hold my interest.

I specialize in Big Data Management, and recently (2 days ago) scored a job doing Business Intelligence for a medicinal company.
    (I'm so glad I dropped out and chose a different path!)
    I feel like we kind of have similar paths. I got a BBA in Business Economics (might have been dumb, because I feel like a bba in economics looks worse than a ba, but the kids with bad grades got the BAs because you needed a certain GPA to be admitted and stay in the business college 3+ but about 50% of the classes we took were the same). I work as a junior program management analyst, but I want to get more into data analytics. So deciding between pursuing an MIS or MBA. I feel like the MBA would allow me to maybe move up the chain big time, but I am not sure I want to be a managing director or anything like that. MIS would get me more into the stuff I want to do, and I think it would allow for more job security if there was an economic downturn. Leaning towards the later right now.
    Signature deleted due to it violating the rules. Please read the signature rules for more info.

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    Like many gamers a decade ago, I dropped out of high school to play video games. I wanted to go pro at Counter-Strike. I did eventually come to my senses and go to college for a liberal arts background, which taught me how screwed up the world is. I am glad I did not specialize in anything, as I would not have learned how screwed up the world is, which I learned from getting a liberal arts background. What type of education did you receive?
    engi/masters degree in surveying then bachelor in accounting/finances and masters in finance and atm working on PhD in management. (was considering MBA really strongly but PhD will let me open more options that i want in future .

always liked to learn and knew that education is the key to smooth living and i cant complain due to level of life i lead thanks to this
    Last edited by kamuimac; 2018-12-24 at 05:52 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Like many gamers a decade ago, I dropped out of high school to play video games. I wanted to go pro at Counter-Strike. I did eventually come to my senses and go to college for a liberal arts background, which taught me how screwed up the world is. I am glad I did not specialize in anything, as I would not have learned how screwed up the world is, which I learned from getting a liberal arts background. What type of education did you receive?
    I am inclined to believe you have an education in liberal arts based upon your paragraph structure.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

I am glad I did not specialize in anything, as I would not have learned how screwed up the all world is, which I learned from getting a background promotion.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    lol "like many"? Are you kidding? You are part of a select few morons. You furthered that by getting a liberal arts degree. Good luck out there, kid.

I suggest you go attend a trade school and stop asking others what kind of education they got. You need to focus on bettering yourself.

My education: grew up in one of the best public school districts in the entire USA, Illinois District 96 for K-8, which feeds into Illinois District 125 for high school: Stevenson High School, in Lincolnshire, IL. One of the top 100 high schools in the USA. Year after year this high school sets new average records for the ACT test, which is incredible. Goes to Scholastic Bowl and crushes other schools. Really proud of the students who have come after me. Future leaders, inventors, and so on come out of that school every year.

Right now? Working on IT certificates and a degree and in the field.
    Last edited by DeltrusDisc; 2018-12-24 at 06:24 AM.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    High school and got some degrees afterwards, the benefit of knowing a trade and practising it leads to plenty of opportunities without a university degree as experience is often as important if not more important.

Does mean your early adult life you have to deal with work you won't like all that much but 10 years later, i earn quite a bit, have good hours and most importantly i like my work and enjoy doing it. Since remember unless you plan to make bank in a few years and retire you'll end up working most of your adult life before you can retire.

If you have to go into work every day against your will, work towards you want to do and be realistic don't go for things like games tester or streamer. Gamer is not a good hobby to turn into a job for most.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwarfhamster View Post
    Haha hell no, who do you think I am? I use it on LinkedIn.
    What a legend.

LinkedIn is facebook for professionals.

10+ Year Old Account
    BA German Language & Literature, BA Foreign Languages & International Trade, minors in Philosophy and History, MA History, Juris Doctorate. It gets me through the days.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    That is not to say that STEM does not have value. It does. But so does art, so does literature, so does philosophy. No technology is going to lead us to peace and enlightenment, they can only facilitate the way there. Science and technology help us lead longer, healthier, more productive lives. But it is culture that makes us truly human, and thus truly alive. They all have value, a value that can't be quantified, and that can't be simply compared.
    The problem is that while all of those are needed, the number of people going for humanities degrees is far too high compared to what is actually needed. You can easily see this by the number of people who, once they get their degree, never use this knowledge (and often complain that it's hard to find a job and repay student loans). There's a huge group of people who go to university just because everyone else does, and they usually pick humanities degrees, while not actually caring about the subject at all - I'm pretty sure they are at least a part of the reason why humanities aren't viewed favorably. And, on the other hand, art is very subjective, which allows people without art related education to create masterpieces.

Got a regular Bsc Degree for Software and Hardware Engineering two decades ago. Been a programmer for that length, sick of it.

Jumped ship for a change of career, studying Aeronautical Engineering currently for the past 2 years while working at the Airport as a Dispatcher. I get access to plenty of planes.

Master of Computer Science. Working as a software developer since second semester and i still love it .

Liberal arts does not include "writing" of any kind it seems.
    I mean I'm no writer or anything, but my god this is some awful stuff right here. My eyes started bleeding.
    I don't think "many gamers" dopped out of highschool to play video games, that's just silly.
    -=Z=- Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek! -=Z=-
    https://bdsmovement.net/

Deleted
    Bachelor Social Work and master in BA Social Work. Specialization in youngsters with a slight mental handicap, autism and behavior problems.

Went to flight school right after highschool. Spent about 15 years building hours flying various jobs. Now im sitting in a cushy corporate job flying a nice jet around the world, working on my bachelors part time so that I can get on with Fedex or one of the majors eventually if I want.

Deleted
    Programming and security, I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Noctiphobia View Post
    The problem is that while all of those are needed, the number of people going for humanities degrees is far too high compared to what is actually needed. You can easily see this by the number of people who, once they get their degree, never use this knowledge (and often complain that it's hard to find a job and repay student loans). There's a huge group of people who go to university just because everyone else does, and they usually pick humanities degrees, while not actually caring about the subject at all - I'm pretty sure they are at least a part of the reason why humanities aren't viewed favorably. And, on the other hand, art is very subjective, which allows people without art related education to create masterpieces.
    I think that has less to do with the humanities per se, and more to do with the fact that while they are more in the direction of education, STEM is more in the direction of training. STEM fields tend to be specific enough that they essentially train you for a particular job (or job field), while humanities do not. This is a problem on both sides of the equation. The reason why many humanities degrees don't find a job is because the job market isn't looking for someone whose competencies include a general skill set of critical thinking - they want people who can perform very specific tasks. Of course it also doesn't help that a humanities education these days is very often nothing close to what it is supposed to be, especially in sub-fields that have been watered down considerably from the original enlightenment mindset.

I suppose in part the problem is that we're prone to using umbrella terms, and the resulting generalization distorts the picture. "The humanities" is an enormously broad field; so is "STEM". As a result, either one also includes a myriad of highly specialized sub-fields, and that can have a negative impact on your career prospects (with some exceptions).

Another thing: you say there are too may humanities degrees for "what is actually needed" - but who gets to make that decision? There may be too many for what the current job market would like; but that is a somewhat tricky metric to go by. Capitalism tends to be very reductive in its thinking, and the parameters by which it influences the structure of the labor market are ones that are directed at very clear goals. But those goals do not necessarily align with what a society "needs" (if you even want to use that turn of phrase), depending on your interpretation. Capitalism, at its core, often has no place for humanity, and is conceptually incompatible with many humane criteria - that's why we need regulation and legislation that extricates some of the humane values from what would otherwise be a very cold and calculated capitalist subversion. Capitalism has difficulties dealing with things that can't be directly quantified and compared, but that is what many aspects of humanity are all about.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to attack capitalism (well, I would be, in a different discussion; but let's accept it as a desirable status quo for now), I am just pointing out that if you left EVERYTHING to the market, you'd have a lot of very bad side effects kick in very quickly. We've seen some of that during the early days of industrialization, for example, where people were reduced to mere labor value and there were no checks on anything to keep their lives as humane existences. We've become a lot more sophisticated since, but we still tend to follow encrusted schematics in many walks of life. And this is a failure on the side of education as well. We don't adequately prepare our children, but part of the reason we don't is that the labor systems in place encourage us not to. That's a vicious circle, though, as we can see from the increasing degree of asynchronicity between what education produces, and what the job market demands at a given moment. I suppose you could say that the problem isn't "too many" humanities degrees, but "too many" BAD humanities degrees. A degree is meant to certify a certain set of competencies, but lately it seems that in many fields it's more of a testament to the fact that you managed to pay for college for a few years and didn't completely miss your assignments. Because that is what it takes, essentially, to fail a humanities degree. And that's a travesty. That's not what education should look like, in any field. It's no wonder nobody wants to hire people like that - not because they're from "the humanities", but because the standard associated with such degrees has become so low people expect complete and utter mediocrity. There's plenty of failings in STEM as well, of course, but it's less pronounced there because so many of the requirements are objective - you're less prone to grade inflation when you can point to a math problem and say "this is wrong", rather than having to grade an essay where any student can just contest you. I teach at one of the top research universities in the country, and grade inflation has become a serious issue for me. The average grade in my department is now almost up to B+, and it's practically impossible to fail my classes unless you literally don't show up. I don't think I'm adequately preparing my students for anything, but my hands are largely tied. I do what I can, but the expectations on both sides - students and departments - have now largely devolved into giving out degrees just for showing up. THAT is the problem with "the humanities" much more so than the actual set of skills the field is supposed to impart.

15+ Year Old Account
    One course left until I finish university, though on a break until I will go back to re-take it. Then I will become a teacher in afterschool educare.

BA in philosophy

B.S. Chemical Engineering