Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

so i watched the whole season and i gotta say that while i enjoyed it the finale just kind of... happened? like it felt like a regular old episode instead of a finale.

even rtd with his "we said a word" series arcs had big flashy finales but this just felt like it couldve been episode 2.

overall really liked the series and love jodie but oof man, it wouldnt be so bad IF IT WERENT FOR THE FOCKIN GAPZ
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Apparently so! Always a chance that they could be lying to us, but a few places have said it’s Daleks.
    If this episode turns out to be the most popular of the season, I will personally write a letter (written, not emailed) to Chibnall and the BBC that says nothing but "I TOLD YOU SO!!"
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

It's almost like there's a reason they brought the Daleks back time and time again.

I am so shocked.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
    If this episode turns out to be the most popular of the season, I will personally write a letter (written, not emailed) to Chibnall and the BBC that says nothing but "I TOLD YOU SO!!"
    It may not be the most popular, but it’s a seasonal special, so it’ll always be fairly popular. That said, being on New Year’s Day, instead of Christmas Day will lessen that, somewhat.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    if it's the last episode for 1 1/2 years it better be damned good...

Quote Originally Posted by Kellorion View Post
    So is the new years eve villain the daleks or what?
    Pretty much confirmed now with the new teaser trailer released.

Curious to see if there's going to be a new take on them... we're so far not seeing ANY images of them, and even that voice sounded like a slight deeper variation on Nick Briggs normal Dalek voice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    It's almost like there's a reason they brought the Daleks back time and time again.

I am so shocked.
    To be fair, I believe the NYD episode was filmed before the new season aired.

I see that Jodie continues to not act whatsoever. The most dangerous creature in the universe... a flat affect on her face, zero fear or anger in her voice, just reading lines off a sheet of paper. I can't believe this B demanded the same salary as Capaldi; she is wholly unqualified for this role.

The pundit in the video below alsoo ran a toy store in the past I believe so that's where his expertise comes from. He rants about how the Rotten Tomatoes score for the first season of Jodie Whittaker is just 30% (while critics give it 94%). I have to admit, thats a stark difference and doesn't align with the higher TV ratings There was some discussion about toy sales being terrible too. I would wonder if BBC would look at high ratings but lousy sales & lousy rotten tomatoes fan scores as a bad sign.

TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    He rants about how the Rotten Tomatoes score for the first season of Jodie Whittaker is just 30% (while critics give it 94%). I have to admit, thats a stark difference and doesn't align with the higher TV ratings
    The high ratings despite the low score could be due to the audience hoping it would get better as the show progressed, I can speak for others but at least that’s how i viewed season 11

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by un_known View Post
    The high ratings despite the low score could be due to the audience hoping it would get better as the show progressed, I can speak for others but at least that’s how i viewed season 11
    7 mil viewers, by the end of the season, and RT score is based of ~3k viewer scores.

So, while it’s possible some of them are spite viewers, some are hoping it’ll get better, and some are just creatures of habit... it’s very possible that some of them actually enjoyed the series. Just saying.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    7 mil viewers, by the end of the season, and RT score is based of ~3k viewer scores.

So, while it’s possible some of them are spite viewers, some are hoping it’ll get better, and some are just creatures of habit... it’s very possible that some of them actually enjoyed the series. Just saying.
    I was in the middle category, Jodie : great choice, just need to let her find her own doctor instead of borrowing from other incarnations every episode, Walsh: MVP of season 11. The other two were (for me) really forgettable. I just wish they’ll up their game and make the storyline better. It’s like we’ve been spoiled for the past 10 seasons with amazing storytelling and finales that stood out and made us gobsmacked when viewed, but this one felt weak and more like a fart in the wind of a finale, I’m no where near finished with the series as a whole, spent too much time following it to give up now (like the walking dead XD)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by un_known View Post
    I was in the middle category
    Same tbh. I thought this season was alright, but not stellar. Had a few glaring flaws which dragged it down... but yeah, Walshy FTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    I see that Jodie continues to not act whatsoever. The most dangerous creature in the universe... a flat affect on her face, zero fear or anger in her voice, just reading lines off a sheet of paper. I can't believe this B demanded the same salary as Capaldi; she is wholly unqualified for this role.
    I was watching the BBC America marathon yesterday, and in Matt Smith's first season we had some great moments that totally made you believe this 26 year old (or 27 year old or whatever) completely got the Doctor and his character: "Basically... run.", "There's one thing you never, ever, put in a trap - me" lines, the Stonehenge Pandorica speech...

And then we had Peter Capaldi, who could deliver speeches in such an epic manner that even Murray Gold shut up his clanging cacaphony. Capaldi could read off a grocery list, and you'd be there saying, "Man, this guy is one of the greatest actors I've ever seen."

Now? Jodie Whitaker's only defining characteristics as the Doctor are a) being extremely goofy and b) an interest in science and the ability to use that knowledge to assemble stuff. That's it. She's like that one weird friend that you think is funny for a while, but then time passes and you just want them to shut up once in a while. She doesn't stand out, she doesn't make a difference, she doesn't change or grow or adapt in any way. She's the same Doctor at the end of the series as she was in the beginning.

I think most people that are saying the series was awesome are just people who were so behind the casting of a woman in the part, they can't say anything negative now because they're afraid people will come back at them with "But you said she'd be so good it would revolutionize TV forever!" They can't come back and say "Yeah, the season was junk", even if it had nothing to do with Whitaker's acting at all.

Oh, well. Let's see if there's any improvement in the New Year's special. One funny thing though - it's weird how the fifth actor/actress to be cast in both the Classic and new series is blond haired, runs around so much they seem to be unable to catch their breath, and ends up seeming weak and bland compared to the actor before them (as well as having bad writing and producing). Maybe Jodie Whitaker's last story will be her "Caves of Androzani".
    How joyous to be in such a place! Where phishing is not only allowed, it is encouraged!

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2...s-fundamental/

People keep saying "Politically correct" when they really mean "virtue signalling/pandering".

You can have all of the themes of racism, sexism, etc that you want - In fact commentary on real world issues is a staple of any good scifi. What people don't like is Doctor Whos hamfisted approach to it, which has all of the subtlety of... well, of a time travelling racist from the future that wants to kill Rosa Parks. I guess if it was subtle, people wouldn't realise how woke they are.

Doctor Who is the ONLY show I seem to keep giving chance after chance to. Even now, I'll likely give the NY episode a shot JUST IN CASE it's some how better. This series has been dire - The writing's poor, the cast is poor, the directing is poor, the show doesn't even know what is in anymore (it can't pretend it's a scray sci-fi "horror" when the scariest enemies of the series were killer TP and the Predatooth Fairy).

Also, it's the first time I've genuinely felt like the Doctor needed her assistants/helpers there in order to be able to do her job properly. Other Doctors seemed to enjoy the company and a fresh outlook. With the current Doctor, I feel she'd be clueless if she didn't have someone to remind her at the right moment that she can just reverse the polarity of her sonic screwdriver and it will fix most problems.
    Last edited by rogueMatthias; 2018-12-31 at 05:06 PM.
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

I was more concerned this season with the shift in the Doctor's personality and the shift in the show's genre more than anything else this season.

1) In re: the Doctor's personality, it's like they didn't want to show Jodie's Doctor as having any flaws. Maybe that's being overly cautious because she's the first female Doctor (much like Barack Obama had to be squeaky clean to be the first black President), but the Doctor has traditionally had some very glaring flaws which usually end up being an obstacle in his/her journey. Like narcissism, anger, depression, over-sentimentality, fervent pacifism, etc.

2) In re: the show's shift, it seems like the show has become more action-adventure than true sci-fi. Exposition is done in short staccato bursts as the characters go from one place to the next, mostly in the form of reading off the sonic screwdriver. There is never a pause, never a speech, never a moment to breathe. There is an almost Sherlock Holmes-esque quality to the Doctor where most of the problems are solved from thinking aloud - which has been sorely lacking this season.

If these humans (13s companions) dont know what a Dalek is, I swear ima shit out a lung!
    Last edited by Kellorion; 2019-01-01 at 01:21 AM.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

10+ Year Old Account
    If these humans (13s companions) dont know what a Dalek is, I swear ima shit out a lung!
    Why would they?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Why would they?
    Battle of Canary Wharf
    Dalek Invasion of Earth with Davros and the kidnapped 27 planets

im sure there's more
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    wE doN't kNoW wHaT pLaYeRs WaNt FoR cHarAcTeR CrEaTiOn MoDeLs

10+ Year Old Account
    Battle of Canary Wharf
    Dalek Invasion of Earth with Davros and the kidnapped 27 planets

im sure there's more
    Yeah but nobody else the doctor has ever run into on earth, except like, government agents, ever remember that stuff. And theres a lot of commentary about how easily humans forget usual things. So I'm not sure why you'd hold that expectation now.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah but nobody else the doctor has ever run into on earth, except like, government agents, ever remember that stuff. And theres a lot of commentary about how easily humans forget usual things. So I'm not sure why you'd hold that expectation now.
    *gets invaded by aliens every year for the past 13 years (not even including Torchwood/SJA/Class world invasions)

Human companions when first meeting the doctor: "OMG aliens are real?!?!?!?"