Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm on the fence about the 2080, because AMDs response is the same pricepoint but less average performance. The 2080ti is far overpriced. There's no challenge currently to Nvidia's top 2 cards, but I'd rather wait for rebates and sales in the next year to move forward with a purchase.

I wish, Ive never gamed on anything other than a Laptop, because I have always had them for work and its typically the only computer I have and I have never played on a good computer.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Im thinking that a 1080 should be really cheap in the next 6 to 8 months.
    Yeah maybe used. Good luck finding new cards since they stopped production.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    I still personally believe that Ray-Tracing belongs on the CPU or at least on a ASIC card that you pop into a separate PCIE slot. Nvidia is using half their GPU to do the Ray-Tracing, which to me is a waste of real estate space. Ideally I want everything Ray-Traced but traditional rendering isn't going anywhere anytime soon so I want more GPU for my GPU. I personally don't care for 1440p or 4K because I don't feel like that's worth the money, especially when the RTX 2080 Ti can barely do 1080p with Ray-Tracing on.

The problem is and will always be that consoles limit PC gaming cause companies like UBISOFT avoid giving PC games much better graphics to avoid making new consoles look dated. Even to this day I can play modern games on my old Radeon HD 6850 just fine at low settings because of consoles being the lowest common denominator. Nvidia knows this and Ray-Tracing is their way to inject features that requires a new graphics card, but so far there's only one game that has Ray-Tracing. By the time the PS5 or Xbox Two is released then Ray-Tracing may become standard and by then both AMD and Nvidia will have much better solutions for it. If Nvidia really wants to push the sales of their cards then they need to develop games themselves that push the limits of PC gaming, cause right now nobody has done this since Crysis.
    I bought a 4k monitor like 3 years ago.. Biggest mistake of my life, holy fuck that is bad. 1440p though is fine. Can still push high refresh rates with top-tier cards, and you get more detail than 1080p.

That said, I don't really care for ray tracing in my games. I'd rather Nvidia make room for normal CUDA cores instead of RT cores (I can see some use in the tensor cores).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    I'm on the fence about the 2080, because AMDs response is the same pricepoint but less average performance. The 2080ti is far overpriced. There's no challenge currently to Nvidia's top 2 cards, but I'd rather wait for rebates and sales in the next year to move forward with a purchase.
    Absolutely wait if you can. The 2000 series is really bad value at full MSRP, and they're even hiked some places

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    When "mid range" slides all the way up to $500CAD for a xx60 series that's a big nope especially when the average person likely doesn't even know what to look for when it comes to Ray Tracing other than a hit to performance. You typically don't have time to stand around and question reflections and lighting in a BF game either but it's not like there are other games to pick from to test...

It'll be interesting if they release an 11 series without the RTX tool kit to push Pascal out but even then we're talking about razor thin performance uplift when compared to their 20 series cards without DLSS so the price would have to be the selling point.

Shame AMD didn't have Navi prepared for CES and instead left a somewhat bitter taste with the Radeon VII.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2019-01-15 at 08:17 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

I only upgrade every like 5 years. I'm still rocking an asrock extreme4 z77 mobo with an i5-3570k overclocked to 4.2ghz, but I do have a 6gb gtx1060. It's still kicking ass so I don't really see a reason to upgrade yet. My gpu is the last thing that needs upgrading though.

10+ Year Old Account
    got a 2080ti for £900 , really happy with it, will keep it for years to come and considering i don't ever plan on moving to 4k, all the better :P

Wife bought me a EVGA 2070 XC for christmas, huge upgrade from the 1050 ti i was using, other than that the prices are crazy lol but to be fair i was looking at a 1080 and the price difference between a 1080 or a 2070 wasnt that much
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Supernova: Cause a pulse of Arcane energy around the target enemy or ally, dealing Arcane damage to all enemies within 8 yards, and knocking them up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyshbonez View Post
    Wife bought me a EVGA 2070 XC for christmas, huge upgrade from the 1050 ti i was using, other than that the prices are crazy lol but to be fair i was looking at a 1080 and the price difference between a 1080 or a 2070 wasnt that much
    Performance difference isn't really that big either.. But hey, nice wife you got there.

Bought 2080 ti recently. Loving it so far, runs a bit hot though so I will probably get watercooling and the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Performance difference isn't really that big either.. But hey, nice wife you got there.
    I mean seems to be running way better, performance wise i mean that being said i dont play anything really intense, some GTA V, Battlefield 4, monster hunter world, some Starcraft II and some city building games
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Supernova: Cause a pulse of Arcane energy around the target enemy or ally, dealing Arcane damage to all enemies within 8 yards, and knocking them up.

Depends if nvidia fixes their power settings in the driver or not? So far on my 2070 using the newest driver it uses more power and my monitors black screen after my pc turns them off in the timer. I'm on 399 version drivers for the foreseeable future. I'm not seeing a reason to reward a company that has bad drivers.

I still have a 660 lmao.

10+ Year Old Account
    ATM, no. I'm perfectly satisfied with my 1080ti at 3440x1440 (120hz) with the current titles that I'm playing. Things might change when cyberpunk 2077 comes out though.

nVidia is a criminal entity that charges exorbitant prices for their products. What a shame that AMD is too weak to compete.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DonVito View Post
    nVidia is a criminal entity that charges exorbitant prices for their products. What a shame that AMD is too weak to compete.
    Lol. It's called capitalism. Cry more please.

I got a 1080ti, I will pass this generation. It's overpriced and RT performance is basically shit. I will probably target next gen.

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Nah. I maybe upgrade like every 3-4 years.

Maybe if others created GPU's even for media they would be able to compete. That's where the big bucks lies.

I ended up getting a 2080, not much choice as one of my previous cards died. Was looking at a 1080 or 1080ti, but the only ones I could find were actually more expensive, and I didn't have time to wait for a sale.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

It's the people who keep paying these prices that are the criminals. Nvidia just does it because they can and people will still buy them even when they don't need the extra performance.