Poll: Which is the strongest?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripzzz View Post
    They do not fear death. They simply do not like death/undeath because it would give them less matter to work with and consume.

Both the Lich King and the Banshee Queen utilize the powers of the void. The Scourge utilize Saronite(because they more easily resist the whispers) but the powers of saronite are still powers that originate from the Void. And the Horde has decided that Xal'atath(a Void dagger) will guide them to their future. Both are powerful death magic wielders, and both came to the conclusion that Void magic is incredibly powerful and useful.
    You bring up a good point; the void is clearly weak against death magic, which is another special aspect of it. It's likely that death magic is weak to holy and arcane is confirmed to be weak to fel, so we are seeing that many of these schools of magic have natural weaknesses to other types, as I've commented on briefly in part of my last post.

"In the end, death claims us all"

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    You bring up a good point; the void is clearly weak against death magic, which is another special aspect of it. It's likely that death magic is weak to holy and arcane is confirmed to be weak to fel, so we are seeing that many of these schools of magic have natural weaknesses to other types, as I've commented on briefly in part of my last post.
    Void is only "weak" to Death in terms of the whispers. Any undead is still getting consumed by a poweful void rift. In terms of raw power, the Void wins from what we have seen. Death can only rob the Void of matter to corrupt and consume, like Sargeras intended to do by destroying everything. That being said, we still need to learn more about Bwonsamdi's "Boss" to really understand. I would assume he is a type of "Death Lord" who doesn't exist in this reality but some kind of death dimension or the Shadowlands.
    "Father, is it over? I see only darkness before me."

The Lightbringer Archmage Alodi's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alleria Windrunner View Post
    Except all the beings who are immortals and can't die of old age. Such as Titans, Old Gods, Demons, Faceless Ones, Lightforged, Wild Gods, the Mechagnomes, the Naaru, the Undead themselves...
    " And with strange aeons even death may die."
    Considering they ripped of the lore from lovecraftian mythos, this could be true in warcraft universe as well.
    THE HORDE WILL ENDURE
    THE HORDE IS STRONG!

Quote Originally Posted by Budong View Post
    Everything eventually dies. Death is patient and undefeated.
    Such a shame in wow being resurrected is fairly easy, looking at the wild gods, the elementals lords(ragnaros was almost resurrected in the intro of the dark irons) or heck the demons even in the nether seems to be undying, also even death may die in strange eons?

Quote Originally Posted by Alleria Windrunner View Post
    Except all the beings who are immortals and can't die of old age. Such as Titans, Old Gods, Demons, Faceless Ones, Lightforged, Wild Gods, the Mechagnomes, the Naaru, the Undead themselves...
    Can't die of old age doesn't mean can't die. The Titans were slain and were being prepared for a fel-infused resurrection.
    C'thun and Yogg'saron are confirmed dead and Y'shaarj was the first and last Old God that the Titans killed because of what it did to Pandaria, Demons do die even if they can be revived (either naturally or like Gul'dan and Mannoroth), Faceless Ones do die and are quite numerous.
    Lightforged (Draenei?) do definitely die, the Wild Gods have definitely died, multiple times in fact, Mechagnomes are machines and can be sufficiently damaged beyond repair, there have been many Naaru that have died (X'era being a well known example), and Undead definitely do die.

Death. Everything stops being an issue when it dies, even if it comes back later on because you can then apply a sufficient amount of death to keep it dead for good. Not to forget, there's almost always a way to permanently kill something of a kind that's previously been though unkillable or nigh impossible to kill (Y'shaarj as an Old God, Argus as a titan).

Death is the instrument through which fel succesfully stopped the void, untill Azeroth's heroes showed up. It is essentially the instrument through which the light, the void, the fel, the arcane and undeath is stopped, as is witnessed through the examples that relate to the aforementioned.

It should not be confused with undeath within the universe of WoW. Undeath is a state of someone who was unable to die, either willingly or through force, when they were objectively and physiologically meant to die. Death can still permanently put the undead out of business.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2019-01-16 at 11:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grazrug View Post
    Pure destruction? Totally fel. Just look at Argus
    Argus is still habitable and still has a breathable atmosphere (somehow). From what we've seen in the Star Augur encounter, Void-infested planets are nothing but giant balls of flesh and tentacles, any landmass utterly consumed beneath them.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    A more accurate way to look at it is like a triangle. Arcane power is weak to fel, so Sargeras was able to defeat the Pantheon with fel power. But we don't know what the void is strong against... I'd assume that the void is weak to the light, but who knows if that is even true.

My headcanon for magic in WoW is probably this:

In terms of sheer, unbridled power (with all of the advantages and disadvantages), fel is surely the most powerful and destructive, but has little control over its power and exists almost entirely as corruption of other magic schools rather than a natural style of magic.

Void is probably the most corrupting (and devouring, by nature it consumes all it touches and is never quenched).

Death magic is the most overwhelming in how it saps life force.

Arcane is likely the most balanced force of power; it is supremely powerful, but limited in some ways, and easily corrupted. As it is the magical school most strongly connected to order, it depends upon being utilized correctly. It may exist as a combination of other various types of magic, even.

I cannot speak for natural magic (frost, fire, nature, etc), but it is by far the most versatile and variable school of magic, and it takes many forms and melds well with arcane power (which may explain why mages who utilize arcane magic heavily also have schools for frost and fire, and why druidic magic which is primarily nature-based utilizes arcane-based lunar magic so well).

Lastly, holy magic, while it lacks the sheer power of other schools of magic, is by far the most resistant to corruption (in the sense of being corrupted to a different type of magic) and the most piercing... which is why it would be effective against void, fel, and especially death where other magical schools would be ineffective despite being more powerful.

But, this is again, just my headcanon. Blizzard as far as I can tell has not elaborated upon this directly, but in short, as far as we can tell, void is just the next big bad we are dealing with. It's the void lords that are powerful (perhaps because they consumed so much power to become what they are?), rather than void magic in and of itself.
    Interesting those points but I would say Arcane is the most versatile, since the titans actual arcane beings can wield any magic and even combine them, the same with the demons and lightforged draenei has mages in their ranks and most of the exiled void elves are magisters aka mages, I say life magic is more tended with the elements as we saw with flame druids and some shamans has nature magic spells as well, in my opinion the magic schools pros and cons could be like this:

Fel: Raw power with more offensive capabilties but also can do others wonder like summoning and necromancy(Felmyst, Mannoroth) but the cons it's need souls to keep the machine moving and can only be feed with souls unlike the void that consumes pretty much everything
    Death: Useful and easy to learn, it's very useful against "fleshlings" in war, the con would be that is uterrly useless with beings that aren't really made of flesh like the faceless, nagas, titan constructs and also undeads is used by every forced.
    Void: Probably tied with the light in power, the void can do pretty much everything the others schools do: open portals, destroy undeads permantly like the light does(yogg saron blood can do that and it's been confirmed in chronicles), raise the dead and you never fear in getting out of fuel because consumes everything, the biggest con is losing your own free will with the whispers and using such power often takes it's toll in the user body and mind.

5+ Year Old Account
    Every force will always be dwarfed by void/light because they can essentially do anything. They are both the two main cosmetic forces trying to engulf everything else.

Even death can't stop either, because apparently they can grant immortality and make zombies now.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Fel does burn through life energy, but it leaves behind quite a bit of what it is exposed to and twists it via corruption. (land, animals, people, etc)

The Void corrupts too but in a completely different manner. It seems to want to wipe out existence and it drives beings crazy.

Death is the antithesis of life. Dead is definitely scarier than corrupted or crazy.

So, I'll go Death>Void>Fel
    Last edited by Camthur; 2019-01-17 at 05:47 AM.

Void was what was before the warcraft universe came to be. Since warcraft universe was born from void (i dont recall the lore stuff about it), should mean rest of the energies originate from it.

Even Sargeras started burning legion because he thought universe was too weak to oppose the void and wanted to remake it.

So in lore point of view, I'd say void wins. Easily.

We players just dont get to see the "real" void.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Can't die of old age doesn't mean can't die. The Titans were slain and were being prepared for a fel-infused resurrection.
    C'thun and Yogg'saron are confirmed dead and Y'shaarj was the first and last Old God that the Titans killed because of what it did to Pandaria, Demons do die even if they can be revived (either naturally or like Gul'dan and Mannoroth), Faceless Ones do die and are quite numerous.
    Lightforged (Draenei?) do definitely die, the Wild Gods have definitely died, multiple times in fact, Mechagnomes are machines and can be sufficiently damaged beyond repair, there have been many Naaru that have died (X'era being a well known example), and Undead definitely do die.
    If they can't die of old age, then it's false that death claims everyone. Because if those beings never fight, then death will never claim them. Therefore, Death is not invincible.

As for the Old Gods, they do die, nor do they live. They are outside the cycle.
    Last edited by Varodoc; 2019-01-17 at 06:26 AM.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

10+ Year Old Account
    Void. It is potential. Infinite, eternal potential. The fundamental force of the cosmos.

Death is just the finality.

The void is so much more unpredictable and nefarious.

Quote Originally Posted by Magnagarde View Post
    Death. Everything stops being an issue when it dies, even if it comes back later on because you can then apply a sufficient amount of death to keep it dead for good. Not to forget, there's almost always a way to permanently kill something of a kind that's previously been though unkillable or nigh impossible to kill (Y'shaarj as an Old God, Argus as a titan).

Death is the instrument through which fel succesfully stopped the void, untill Azeroth's heroes showed up. It is essentially the instrument through which the light, the void, the fel, the arcane and undeath is stopped, as is witnessed through the examples that relate to the aforementioned.

It should not be confused with undeath within the universe of WoW. Undeath is a state of someone who was unable to die, either willingly or through force, when they were objectively and physiologically meant to die. Death can still permanently put the undead out of business.
    The Void(and Light) existed before anything ever lived or died within the Universe including all it's alternate realities. The Void will continue to exist after everything in the Universe has met it's death. Sargeras(as powerful as he was) never tried to "kill" the Void, instead he went after the Universe and it's inhabitants. Death as a power is certainly strong and creatures that dwell within the Void(such as the Old Gods but possibly including the Void Lords) are able to die. But the Void as a power will never die.

Creatures in the Void(Old Gods, Voidwalkers, Void Naaru, Void Lords, etc..) =/= The Void itself.
    Last edited by Tripzzz; 2019-01-17 at 06:57 AM.
    "Father, is it over? I see only darkness before me."

Void or Death, as they're infinite; integral primordial parts of existance as opposed to Fel.

Void is also the simple aspect of non-existance and spans the entire universe; wheras Death is only born from life; void is also beyond death (existing beyond the physical realm), and doesnt realy die in spirit even if it's physical manifestations in the physical realm die off.

Undeath itself can only come to pass in niche circumstances, requiring necromancery or plague; and even then without a jailor is merely a wild-dog without a leash.
    Last edited by Filipse; 2019-01-17 at 07:06 AM.

Resisting the whispers doesn't make you immune to being devoured by the Void.

Not only that, but we've seen the Void consume the spirits of dead orcs(ghosts are undead too, and a Banshee is considered a ghost aswell) on Draenor. We've also seen the void used to raise the dead as seen with AU Ner'zhul and with Umbric in the Alliance war campaign. I don't recall ever seeing a void creature being raise into undeath though. Old god blood destroys the body and souls of undead. The void consumes ghosts with no effort. The void can be used for necromancy. Being slightly more resistant to the whispers is nothing compared to that.
    I didn’t make my point clear. There is only one force that has shown any kind of resistance to the Void, regardless of how great or useful it is. And it’s death.

The Void(and Light) existed before anything ever lived or died within the Universe including all it's alternate realities. The Void will continue to exist after everything in the Universe has met it's death. Sargeras(as powerful as he was) never tried to "kill" the Void, instead he went after the Universe and it's inhabitants. Death as a power is certainly strong and creatures that dwell within the Void(such as the Old Gods but possibly including the Void Lords) are able to die. But the Void as a power will never die.

Creatures in the Void(Old Gods, Voidwalkers, Void Naaru, Void Lords, etc..) =/= The Void itself.
    Well, I've misworded myself. Death stops all creatures and beings that utilize named schools of magic. The type of magic itself obviously can't be killed as it's existence is tied to the universe and the only way to kill these schools of magic is to destroy the entire universe.

What I exactly meant is that any being, no matter how powerful in whichever school of magic, can most likely be put down permanently (there's always a way if Blizzard wills it) and being put down permanently equates to said entity officially being dead, making death the aspect that claims everything in the end. If this poll addresses death magic, as in necromancy, then void magic is seemingly superior, but the very state of death itself is the only thing that can halt beings that utilize the void, light, fel and arcane. I honestly think that the poll could've been worded better as it can be interpreted either way.

The only ones we haven't seen die yet are the void lords, but then again, they're relatively new to the lore and most of the characters we regularly deal with have absolutely no idea of their existence. The chances of them being permanently killable is up in the air simply because we haven't encountered them yet. I give a slight advantage to the forces of good fighting them though, simply because the organizations tied to the playable hero character are innevitably going to end up being victors, if not sooner then surely later.
    Last edited by Magnagarde; 2019-01-17 at 01:15 PM.

None are more powerful than the ultimate, all-encompassing force...the Social Justice Warrior. All will fall in their wake! Tremble before their squeaky voices!!!

Infracted.
    Last edited by Aucald; 2019-01-18 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Received Infraction