Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Adapter View Post
    Cool theory.
    While in reality young drivers cause accidents due to driving too fast and beign reckless.
    and yet fines for speeding and reckless driving (using phone, driving while doing other stuff etc.) are almost exclusively given to the 30-50 demographic in my country.
    Speeding is done more by experienced drivers because they feel more in control.

The majority of young drivers cause accidents because they are inexperienced, not because they speed and drive reckless. even if you go by actuaries and insurance companies, their accidents are more fenderbenders and minor damage.

Experienced drivers develop habits, both good and bad, which new drivers haven't yet.
    This causes a clash when they meed in traffic.

And as someone who's been driving lorries, it's not young people constantly triggering the warnings in the automatic emergency brake systems.
    Last edited by freezion; 2019-01-19 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by freezion View Post
    The majority of young drivers cause accidents because they are inexperienced, not because they speed and drive reckless. even if you go by actuaries and insurance companies, their accidents are more fenderbenders and minor damage.
    No, yeah, that's exactly the reason. Older people that are experienced drivers can more easily handle reckless driving and speeding because of their experience. Newer drivers, like tennis, can't.

After 75 you should have mandatory 2 year check ups to test if you are still fit to drive.

No need for some arbitrary age restriction. If you are 97 and still capable of driving, you should be able too.

Tbh they should be tested yearly as soon as they hit retirement, not like they don't have the spare time at that point.

Quote Originally Posted by nymphetsss View Post
    So my Great grandfather (87 at the time) fell asleep at the wheel ran a red light and smashed into oncoming traffic. No charges were laid because it was a side effect of his new medication and the doctor didn't say he couldn't drive, the fucker kept his license
    I got hit by a car when i was 21. The driver was awake but had dementia, ended up hitting me and my friend in broad daylight while i was on the shoulder of the road. (Near the grass, no sidewalks) His excuse? I was throwing rocks at his car... Then the police come, "I got latched on the back of a pickup truck, and lost control." Yeah no... its your dementia and you shouldn't be driving...
    Last edited by siskokid21; 2019-01-19 at 02:19 AM. Reason: Added quote

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Yeah apart from the inconvenience of having to take a road test I think this would be the best route to take to get bad drivers off the road.
    You can get bad drivers off the road with more difficult testing. And I'll tell you that the driving testing system here in Ontario is a joke. Also, I don't believe in giving drivers retroactive experience if they are new citizens to the country. Driving habits and conditions in countries like China and India are not even close to how we drive in Canada. And we wonder why they are commonly among the highest risk of collisions in Canada. Our standards are too low in general, we really need a tougher testing system and refresher programs, as well as rehabilitation programs for constantly penalized drivers.

I trust old people driving more than I trust young people driving.

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    12.2% of car accidents are caused by teens (16-19)... 7.5% of car accidents are caused by people 65 and over. If you really are interested in safety then perhaps you should also advocate for raising the minimum driving age to be 20. For everyone's safety of course.
    There is a bigger difference here that is being ignored. Teens cause accidents due to inexperience. That is the top cause of accidents for them. As opposed to that factor being gone for the 7.5%

I would be agreed to more driver tests at older ages. However, we need the staff to do it. The DMV is already really slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

You should be able to drive for as long as you can, not matter if you are a 100. Just make a driver test every 2 years or something.They are always changing it but right now in Portugal I think it's every 15 years, then at 60 you need to have a letter from a doctor. Then you need to go to the doctor again at 65 and 70. Then it's the same but every 2 years instead 5... 72, 74, 76, etc...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Appelgren View Post
    This is the equivalent of people saying "but white men rape too" when people talk about sending foreign rapists home...
    Not at all... simply pointing out the flawed logic of the OP.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Not at all... simply pointing out the flawed logic of the OP.
    A arbitrary age limit is harsh but lets be real here we cant keep testing old people until they reach 100 and its because of the cost.

So we cold heartedly need to weigh up the cost to safety to come to a conclusion.

Life isnt black and white and it certainly isnt fair but in this day and age where everything has to be safety checked and where you can be sued up the arse if you slightly fuck is there a age where we need to say sorry but you cant be behind the wheel?

interesting proposal, I wonder if it would violate the equal protections clause.
    Last edited by arandomuser; 2019-01-19 at 09:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Factor View Post
    Should old people be allowed to drive 80+

So if anyone has seen the news Prince Phillip who is married to the Queen and who is 97 crashed his Range Rover and was lucky to walk away but this asks the question should old people be forced to give up driving when they reach a certain age?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46918039

Now i said 80+ as a reasonable age for us to start asking cause i know the retirement age is 60 and i certainly wouldnt advocate 60-70 years bared from driving but when you hit that 80+ age then is it time to force them off the roads for everyones including there own safety?
    if they can pass a drivers test, and has no medical conditions that put that at risk behind the wheel, who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by hynx View Post
    if they can pass a drivers test, and has no medical conditions that put that at risk behind the wheel, who cares.
    But we all know with age our abilities diminish and we cant test for everything at the DMV. Unless we force old people to pay for the test but imagine the shit storm!!

Old people vote en masse and is without doubt the strongest voting block there is regardless of race, creed or policital persuasion!

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone is different. My grandfather on my mothers side had to stop driving because his awareness started to fade around 76 and he almost fell asleep while driving. While my grandfather on my dads side are now 85 and is doing great.
    However at around 75 I would say they need to do yearly checkups to see if they can continue driving.

I would also like the to introduce some IQ test for those that are getting their drivers licence after these recent "bird box" challanges while driving...

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the individual. Start testing.
    S (moderator)
    P (WoW Gen, Pets/Mog/Ach, Fun/Chat Zone)
    L (guidelines*)
    E (WoW gen rules*)
    N (my art*)
    D (Pikachu BEST Pokemon)
    A (Sensational™)

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Appelgren View Post
    After you reach 70 years of age (maybe earlier) your license should need to be refreshed with a new driving test every year to see how well you can fit into traffic.
    New Zealand has a law like this.
    Here is something to believe in!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Factor View Post
    A arbitrary age limit is harsh but lets be real here we cant keep testing old people until they reach 100 and its because of the cost.

So we cold heartedly need to weigh up the cost to safety to come to a conclusion.

Life isnt black and white and it certainly isnt fair but in this day and age where everything has to be safety checked and where you can be sued up the arse if you slightly fuck is there a age where we need to say sorry but you cant be behind the wheel?
    What is 'real' is your word diarrhea and the cob up your ass over old people driving.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

Annual tests for suitability of driving after 75 I reckon.

What is 'real' is your word diarrhea and the cob up your ass over old people driving.
    What ever but karma is a bitch so dont tempt it.

If the husband of the queen of England (Iam English and a monarchist btw) can nearly kill someone while driving at age 97 then is it time to ask ourselves is it time to reduce these risks?

Risk reduction is the name of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    As I've said in previous threads with this question: I have to re-test both written and with a certified instructor on the rails every three years to maintain my locomotive engineer's license. Whether you're 21 or 91 the same should apply. Simply retaking a vision test every so many years is not the same as knowing how to be a good driver.
    I would totally spread this method. And anyone who doesnt pass, gets the license revoked. Harder/more complex tests too, theres too many variables that you can face on your own compared to the "safe environment" of having a driving instructor by your side