Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I am unsure how that actually would change anything about the situations at play.
    well Asian people haven't set up a state based on racist minority rule in Scotland just yet

Quote Originally Posted by kos666 View Post
    it opens up an interesting debate on whether someone's ethnicity comes from their ancestry, parents, place of birth, their passport or their current residency.
    It really doesn't. Ancestry only matters in the context of predisposition to various genetic related ailments. Anything else is for small talk or bigotry.

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    well Asian people haven't set up a state based on racist minority rule in Scotland just yet
    Still wondering when you are going to connect that to what I am describing here.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaibhan View Post
    It really doesn't. Ancestry only matters in the context of predisposition to various genetic related ailments. Anything else is for small talk or bigotry.
    Then what stops the MAGA hatted kids from being Cherokee Indians if they settle in say Cherokee areas? I mean of Dr, Punam Krishan claims to Scottishness is going to High School in Glasgow and drinking a popular local soft-drink, than why is Cherokee status so exclusive where as Scottish ethnic status must be shared with anyone whom drinks a soft drink and attends a school.

I actually am unsure of Dr, Punam Krishan is even born in Scotland as finding background information on her is a bit difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

10+ Year Old Account
    Still wondering when you are going to connect that to what I am describing here.
    Sorry, do I have to show you the bit in your post where you suggest the situation with the doctor in scotland is equivalent to the one with Elon Musk in South Africa? You're the one that wrote it, I thought you'd remember that.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelk View Post
    Sorry, do I have to show you the bit in your post where you suggest the situation with the doctor in scotland is equivalent to the one with Elon Musk in South Africa? You're the one that wrote it, I thought you'd remember that.
    I used Elon Musk as an example. He was born in Africa, Dr, Punam Krishan may have been born in Scotland (I am actually unable to determine that). In both scenarios the same logic is true.

If Dr, Punam Krishan is Scottish by virtue of maybe being born in a parcel of land called Scotland, then wouldn't Elon Musk be African by virtue of being born on a parcel of land called Africa? Dr, Punam Krishan may not have even been born in Scotland but merely may have moved there, as background info is hard to find. In terms of ancestry, the MAGA hatted kids in America may have a geneology that has resided in North America longer than Dr, Punam Krishan can claim some ancestral tie into Scotland, Elon Musk comes from a family in South Africa that has easily been there longer than Dr, Punam Krishan's has been in the UK.

So what defines nativeness if not time and genealogy?

You make a point about colonialism, but that presumes a lot about the populations of North America or Africa that cannot be asserted with any degree of confidence. I.E. that any given population isn't where it is as a result of invasion, colonies and the like. So I am unclear why you bring it up in this context.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

- - - Updated - - -

Then what stops the MAGA hatted kids from being Cherokee Indians if they settle in say Cherokee areas? I mean of Dr, Punam Krishan claims to Scottishness is going to High School in Glasgow and drinking a popular local soft-drink, than why is Cherokee status so exclusive where as Scottish ethnic status must be shared with anyone whom drinks a soft drink and attends a school.
    Because Irn Bru is pretty much the whole of Scottish culture, along with Deep-fried Mars Bars.

10+ Year Old Account
    This was my first thought.

But a bit more on topic I guess someone who has more integrated with the general culture of the region they live in. If I were to move to Scotland tomorrow, I would definitely not be considered Scottish, and even after years of living there I doubt I would ever be considered Scottish. I don't think I would consider myself Scottish and I would be a fool to think I was. If my children were born there however, they would more certainly be considered Scottish. They would learn Scottish history and other local knowledge from school and their friends and probably develop the accent too.

Guess that's a big part of what being native is for me, the growing up in a certain area and culture. I think it's difficult, if not impossible for an adult to get the integration and immersion a child does. I was born in Somerset, grew up in Birmingham and lived all my adult life in and around Oxfordshire. Yet I still consider myself a Brummie, even though I haven't lived there in 14 years now. I wonder how my parents view themselves....

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AwkwardSquirtle View Post
    Because Irn Bru is pretty much the whole of Scottish culture, along with Deep-fried Mars Bars.
    I can think of a language that would be a bit more than that.

So is Sioux culture feathered hats and chronic alcoholism?

Native American isn't an ethnic group, there is no specific Native American language nor some original Native American country, it is a proud almost racial categorization for a wide swath of ethnic group and languages. Sioux is an ethnic group, Native American isn't.

Scottish is also an ethnic group, why isn't it?

- - - Updated - - -

So, why isn't Elon Musk regarded as an African?

- - - Updated - - -

Because it isn't really that topic?

- - - Updated - - -

Would they kick out an Arab Muslim doctor who preferred an Arab Muslim doctor?

- - - Updated - - -

So there is no such thing as an indigenous person to Scotland, but there is to North America? What makes someone indigenous than? I've never heard anyone talk about "The Gaels" as an in-use ethnonym, so Scot, or Socttish seems to be an ethnic descriptor as well.
    Because Scottish is a nationality.

Musk is African, South African.

They didn't kick this patient out ...

Have you heard of Gaelic?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    Because Scottish is a nationality.

Musk is African, South African.

They didn't kick this patient out ...

Have you heard of Gaelic?
    I have heard Scots-Gaelic spoken in person by native speakers in both Scotland and Canada. Yet I've never heard Gael applied as a current ethnonym.

Scottish is a nationality, but it is also an ethnic group if it isn't then what does one now refer to the people who have lived there since Medieval and prior times?
    Last edited by Theodarzna; 2019-01-20 at 06:49 PM.

Scottish is a nationality, but it is also an ethnic group if it isn't then what does one now refer to the people who have lived there since Medieval and prior times?
    Highlanders clearly. But there can be only one.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    He's not Scottish though.
    Please explain.

I dunno, red hair and a kilt?

I suppose people are free to think that the colour of your skin determines if you are gonna be able to render proper medical assistance.

No matter how pants on head retarded that may be in this case.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2019-01-20 at 07:25 PM.

Something something...no true Scotsman?
    "We must make our choice. We may have democracy, or we may have wealth concentrated in the hands of a few, but we can't have both."
    -Louis Brandeis

Quote Originally Posted by Malikath View Post
    no, you're British.
    you're born Scottish where ever you are if your parents are.
    You're British if you're from the island of Britain, you're Scottish if you're from the country Scotland.

You're a Briton if your distant ancestry ties you to the island of Britain, you're a Scot if your ancestry comes from the mingling of Irish-Gaelic invaders with non-Romanised northern Britons.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Hellscream View Post
    I dunno, red hair and a kilt?

I suppose people are free to think that the colour of your skin determines if you are gonna be able to render proper medical assistance.

No matter how pants on head retarded that may be in this case.
    I wonder what you think the practice of Cultural Competence in healthcare and hospitals. The American Hospital Association has the view that ethnicity and culture play a big role in proper healthcare Will such people who decry that patient as a racist bigot also decry the calls for cultural sensitivity in healthcare by Diversity and Inclusion initiatives?

The answer, of course, is no. Dr. Punam Krishan and those in this thread sympathetic to what she did will remain silent, and we all know why:

When non-whites want their doctors to look like them, it's a human right.
    When whites want their doctors to look like them, it's racism.

It is an obvious double standard.

Quote Originally Posted by Lollis View Post
    Ewen Bremner (Spud from Trainspotting) is not Scottish?
    Wait what? Why the heck did reverse-googling give me Hair-loss Restoration junk and spam then?!

I wonder what you think the practice of Cultural Competence in healthcare and hospitals. The American Hospital Association has the view that ethnicity and culture play a big role in proper healthcare Will such people who decry that patient as a racist bigot also decry the calls for cultural sensitivity in healthcare by Diversity and Inclusion initiatives?

The answer, of course, is no. Dr. Punam Krishan and those in this thread sympathetic to what she did will remain silent, and we all know why:

When non-whites want their doctors to look like them, it's a human right.
    When whites want their doctors to look like them, it's racism.

It is an obvious double standard.
    I think its stupid regardless. If a person regardless of their skin colour has undergone years of medical training then that person is qualified to do a check up on a patient, if that patient believes otherwise then that patient is a moron.

I am well aware that had it been reversed then the story might've been spun differently.
    Last edited by Donald Hellscream; 2019-01-20 at 07:56 PM.

@Theodarzna

Because ethnicity and ethnic solidarity is a real thing, practiced by the overwhelming majority of human population. Herodotus defined ethnic identity for his age, and I still see those same parameters as relevant today as they were in his time. Shared descent, language, customs and faith. Those 4 parameters are the cornerstones of a ethnic group.

The case you are presenting is a textbook example of festering hypocrisy, the only reason why those MAGA teens are denied their nativeness to American soil while the nativeness of Dr. Punam Krishan to Scotland is celebrated is the shade of their skin color.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective the Natives are the "Indians", and anyone that is not either Mexican/Indian, are their (uninvited) guests... but I think the US government would have issues with that view.
    How do you see yourself then? What would be your reaction if the Indians told you to fuck off to Europe or Israel?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dazhbog View Post
    @Theodarzna

Because ethnicity and ethnic solidarity is a real thing, practiced by the overwhelming majority of human population. Herodotus defined ethnic identity for his age, and I still see those same parameters as relevant today as they were in his time. Shared descent, language, customs and faith. Those 4 parameters are the cornerstones of a ethnic group.

The case you are presenting is a textbook example of festering hypocrisy, the only reason why those MAGA teens are denied their nativeness to American soil while the nativeness of Dr. Punam Krishan to Scotland is celebrated is the shade of their skin color.
    Deep down my hunch is the same, that for some, "native" is another word for "Dark skinned person". Only in their minds is a person of non-European look and complexion able to be aboriginal to something.