Page 1 of 6
... LastLast

The creative director of the Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk is joining Blizzard!

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    No, she is my waifu. Stop posting and delete this thread immediately.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ophenia View Post
    Voted Baine because... Well, Baine. Total nonsensical character, looks like World War II Italy, nobody really understands what role he's supposed to fill, not even himself

The culture of the company has to change from the top down. Someone in the middle can't make much of a difference.
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    A good step in the right direction.

The Witcher franchise has been able to tell a solid, complete story that has taken itself seriouosly -- but also knows when to relax and have fun...all while providing an evolving gameplay standard that still stayed loyal to what started in the first game as it continued to evolve into a better playing game.

Almost every franchise at Blizzard right now lacks a steady hand to guide it. His role is unknown of course, but if he can help refocus the efforts of the staff and help teach/force teams to work together and communicate to create cohesive games again that would be the dream.

Also worth it to note he has been at a company that basically has focused on single player content 100% of the time that has also made fully fleshed out games not dependent on DLC or micro transactions. (though they have had some solid DLC)

Perhaps he is developing that dark souls like Diablo that was rumored and fell apart?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman31 View Post
    The culture of the company has to change from the top down. Someone in the middle can't make much of a difference.
    While you may be right, sometimes all it takes is having someone a few rungs down from the top that can convince those above them that it is WORTH doing something to get it done.

If someone can convince the big wigs that games can stand by themselves as a singular product and are worth the time and money to develop, not needing microtransactions or rushed releases, and then follows through with it -- it could shift things back.
    Last edited by TickerDS; 2019-01-24 at 05:12 AM.

Poor soul .

The Witcher 3 is a fantastic game. Hopefully he'll have a positive impact... but seeing how much Blizzard has changed, from a management perspective, I wonder if he'll manage to do much...
    Last edited by Daedius; 2019-01-24 at 05:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TickerDS View Post

While you may be right, sometimes all it takes is having someone a few rungs down from the top that can convince those above them that it is WORTH doing something to get it done.

If someone can convince the big wigs that games can stand by themselves as a singular product and are worth the time and money to develop, not needing microtransactions or rushed releases, and then follows through with it -- it could shift things back.
    I've wondered how internally the upward mobility and in effect moral for those wanting to push up is. In terms of public faces there are few left that I am aware of that came up from bellow management level. Are the staff lacking that leadership material that leadership is looking for or are leadership not interested in promoting from within? Hiring external helps to bring in fresh new ideas while sad to see those who had a hand in building the company's image even that of the past 10 years not partake in positions to keep the image alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxrokur View Post
    HYPE af, really hoping some work gets done towards WoW; although any blizzard game with his genius will be worth the buy.

Usually, you leave a sinking ship, not join it.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman31 View Post
    wise words.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's likely that he's been brought in for an actual Diablo title for PC. Blizzard has been advertising for someone for a job with a background in dark fantasy that fits him to a T. Either that or some new thing entirely.

Blizzard could surprise everyone and announce a single-player RPG based on the Warcraft IP. Not much else is working for them in the social gaming world.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Greyscale View Post
    People change jobs.
    We live in a society.

5+ Year Old Account
    Well, that's good news... In principle. I'd love if the guy was allowed to show his skills in WoW, or more probably in this mysterious D4 that we keep hearing about. I just hope they don't prune him
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post

Blizzard could surprise everyone and announce a single-player RPG based on the Warcraft IP. Not much else is working for them in the social gaming world.
    Your optimism is adorable but terribly misplaced.

Name one single player blizzard game post 2000's

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post

Thats the genius of it. Finally they do make a single player game. If they decided to make a single-player RPG set in the warcraft/diablo universe, the hype would be insane.

WoD+ Phone app for them missions...!

Diablo II LOD (2001) had a single player mode :P

It's the only one I could play then because I didn't have an internet connection yet :/

10+ Year Old Account

Oh, I know. Why do you imagine I said "surprise everyone"?

But think about it. Warcraft-based RPG that has ramped-up graphics like Skyrim. Can be darker than the MMO if it wants to be. Can advance storylines in the same way the RTS games used to. And probably get them a boatload of revenue. People would go nuts.

All that said I think this guy is joining Blizzard for a new Diablo title. A new Diablo with a story crafted by Stepien might be something. Maybe a first-person ARPG. Has that been done?
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-01-24 at 06:32 AM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    WoD+ Phone app for them missions...!
    wp sir.

I guess I was wrong

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Oh, I know. Why do imagine I said "surprise everyone"?

But think about it. Warcraft-based RPG that has ramped-up graphics like Skyrim. Can be darker than the MMO if it wants to be. Can advance storylines in the same way the RTS games used to. And probably get them a boatload of revenue. People would go nuts.

All that said I think this guy is joining Blizzard for a new Diablo title. A new Diablo with a story crafted by Stepien might be something. Maybe a first-person ARPG. Has that been done?
    I would love a surprise and blizzard actually stepping up and acknowledging they are soulless puppets that abandoned their player base but Im not gonna wait for it.

Its all dollars and cents to these guys

This hire is a step in the right direction but it depends on why they hired him.

10+ Year Old Account
    So he can write character lines for overwatch every 2 years.

If they were actually going to do a soulsborne-like diablo game (that they said they cancelled), all dark, gritty and story-heavy, I'd be sooo happy.
    I mean, the Diablo universe has all the right potential for a game like that, and to me it feels like a waste to put it in an isometric dungeon crawler. DS/BB combat, co-op, open world like the Witcher.

On the other hand, this is 2019 where video games are a "service", and as much as I would love them to make a game like that, I keep my hopes down for now.