Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What's the reasoning behind the raids not opening the same time across the world?

Have Blizzard ever explained why this is? Since they're pushing raiding more and more towards and esport it seems weird that depending on where in the world you live you get a huge head start over others. One of the main expressions Blizzard use is "play nice, play fair", this seems to go against that. If the raid opens at 8 AM in Irvine on thursday for example, shouldn't it open across the whole world at that point?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Embriel View Post
    Have Blizzard ever explained why this is? Since they're pushing raiding more and more towards and esport it seems weird that depending on where in the world you live you get a huge head start over others. One of the main expressions Blizzard use is "play nice, play fair", this seems to go against that. If the raid opens at 8 AM in Irvine on thursday for example, shouldn't it open across the whole world at that point?
    same day as weekly reset
    it launcheswith the weekly reset.
    Last edited by FelPlague; 2019-02-02 at 05:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WowIsDead64 View Post
    Remove combat, Mobs, PvP, and Difficult Content

15+ Year Old Account
    People can't make much progress at 3 AM

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

My guess is because it screws with the weekly reset.

NA raiding needs at least some hope.
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    Looking for Raid.
    They never found one though

10+ Year Old Account
    World first race is observed by Blizzard but not supported. And yes, it screws with resets although if they wanted to they could start the raid after the reset on GMT or something. Any time they pick someone would get screwed unless you counted the minutes and hours from when the raid was first available until the "race" was won.

But world first race has nothing to do with e-sports officially.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    Any time they pick someone would get screwed unless you counted the minutes and hours from when the raid was first available until the "race" was won.
    I mean they could just unlock the raid world wide when they get to work in the morning. For some time zones it'll be night, for some it'll be afternoon and so on but it'll be available at the same time for everyone.

10+ Year Old Account
    I mean they could just unlock the raid world wide when they get to work in the morning. For some time zones it'll be night, for some it'll be afternoon and so on but it'll be available at the same time for everyone.
    Yes they could. I said that. Base it on GMT or something and release it on Wednesday or Friday for that matter.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

It's an antiquated system that was probably put in place because of technical limitations in the past.

The reset should be on the same day/time for all regions too, by the way. And before someone says "it doesn't make sense to have reset at 3 AM" this is exactly the time we used to have the reset back in Wotlk and earlier. It didn't really influence anyone negatively, most people just started playing in the morning as usual.

There's really no defending this. And it's also not about the raid world first race exclusively. It's unfair that people in some regions get stuff earlier than the rest of the world.

It would still be "unfair" just due to timing differences. Someone having it unlocked at say noon or early afternoon has a better time starting out then someone who has to start raiding at midnight, for example.

If one really cared about it being 100% "fair", they would simply account for the extra hours between US/EU/Asia launches, and at the end of the race judge based on time passed since opening.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    The reset should be on the same day/time for all regions too, by the way. And before someone says "it doesn't make sense to have reset at 3 AM" this is exactly the time we used to have the reset back in Wotlk and earlier. It didn't really influence anyone negatively, most people just started playing in the morning as usual.
    Between the three major regions, WoW encompasses almost 20 hours of timezones. There is no single time that wouldn't be horrible for someone, like having the reset straight in the middle of prime time, which would be terrible. No-one cares if its at 3am or 8am, but I might care if its at 6pm (say in Oceania), because that throws a wrench in a lot of scheduling.

Even just considering EU and US, between US West Coast and EU Central, there is 9 hours. If we keep reset aligned for EU, since we're arguably the "middle" of the timezones (at 9am), it would be at midnight for US West, which is arguably too early, since people may still raid into that time. If we move it forwards to say 3am PST, it becomes noon in the EU, which for many that like playing a bit in the mornings is already too late.

I really don't care if someone has the reset or any new content ~12 hours before I do. I do care about the reset not getting in the way of my playing habbits.
    Last edited by Nevcairiel; 2019-02-02 at 11:26 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Due to weekly reset.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Nevcairiel View Post
    Between the three major regions, WoW encompasses almost 20 hours of timezones. There is no single time that wouldn't be horrible for someone, like having the reset straight in the middle of prime time, which would be terrible. No-one cares if its at 3am or 8am, but I might care if its at 6pm (say in Oceania), because that throws a wrench in a lot of scheduling.

Even just considering EU and US, between US West Coast and EU Central, there is 9 hours. If we keep reset aligned for EU, since we're arguably the "middle" of the timezones (at 9am), it would be at midnight for US West, which is arguably too early, since people may still raid into that time. If we move it forwards to say 3am PST, it becomes noon in the EU, which for many that like playing a bit in the mornings is already too late.

I really don't care if someone has the reset or any new content ~12 hours before I do. I do care about the reset not getting in the way of my playing habbits.
    The reset is not getting in the way of your playing habits. No one ever said you need to start playing 1 minute after the reset, and as I said in my post that you just quoted, the reset used to happen at 3 AM, which for most people is the time when they sleep. It used to be like that for years, and everything was fine.

Historically (pre Trump) America was the greatest country in the world hence USA got to raid earlier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because EU players are second-class customers. That's about all we should know
    MMO player
    WoW: 2006-2020 || EvE: 2013-2020 // 2023- || FFXIV: 2020- || Lost Ark: 2022-

Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post
    The reset is not getting in the way of your playing habits. No one ever said you need to start playing 1 minute after the reset, and as I said in my post that you just quoted, the reset used to happen at 3 AM, which for most people is the time when they sleep. It used to be like that for years, and everything was fine.
    And as I mentioned in my post, 3AM would be fine - in the US. But finding a global time thats fine for everyone is impossible. Hence, no globally synchronized reset.

Here, have some numbers:

3 AM PST (US West) = 12 PM CET (EU) = 10 PM AEDT (Sydney, Australia)

This single number alone demonstrates how a single reset time will collide with active playing hours in different regions. You cannot find a single number that falls into the sleeping downtime everywhere, because thats impossible. I don't care if its 3 AM, 6 AM or even as late as 9 AM. But any later then 9 or 10 AM would start to actively encroach into active playing hours, for me and others. Nevermind the Australians, or Asia.
    Last edited by Nevcairiel; 2019-02-02 at 12:43 PM.

because nobody besides the biggest nolifing basement dwellers care about stuff like who will first kill mythic jaina.

so why should blizzard care.

wake up and realise that raiding was never popular among wow playerbase

I honestly think the mythic race should happen on tournament servers with pre-made character. Every serious guild starting at equal footing. Make it fair, but then again. When the US can't win with a day headstart, i guess that makes it even less fair for them

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    because nobody besides the biggest nolifing basement dwellers care about stuff like who will first kill mythic jaina.

so why should blizzard care.

wake up and realise that raiding was never popular among wow playerbase
    Interresting how no one cares about raiding and wow shoots up to the second most watched game on twitch when the live race is going and they also did last race And then back again when there is no raiding going on. Must be a bug

who cares...the eu guilds are better than us guilds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RuneDK View Post
    who cares...the eu guilds are better than us guilds.
    you do, clearly... as you gave us ur opinion on the matter

The ones who actually do World First can and will