Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bungeebungee View Post
    *Martial arts aren't useful for self defense, and.. I'm using a sarcastic title for click-bait, because no one would be looking at this thread if I didn't. Because it's boring.*

There you go, fixed that title up for ya, Bud.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LonerStoner View Post
    It only takes one arm to draw a weapon. You can still defend yourself from getting punched/hit/whatever while that's going on. Also, people who coat carry revolvers don't even need to draw them before shooting. They can effectively be shot from inside the pocket.

YouTube is absolutely riddled with videos of cops having to draw their firearms and use them at distances of less than arms length after they've already been attacked or beat on by a perp and the firearm wins way more often than not.
    Very true. And some seem to forget about the "pocket holsters". Only one hand is needed to reach in your pocket and pull the handgun out and use very quickly. They are designed to stay in the pocket when you pull the pistol out. Even with a belt holster, one should train drawing the firearm out very quickly. Unloaded of course. During the summer it is not hard at all to quickly lift the short shirt and draw your weapon with one hand.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

This thread again.

Martial arts works for self defense. Not in every situation because nothing works in every situation. A gun on your hip requires less Training and is more effective and even that doesn’t work in every situation. If a guy has a weapon drawn on you at point blank range there is almost nothing you can do without taking a bullet. That doesn’t mean having a gun is useless, it doesn’t mean martial arts are useless because someone might have a gun. Having training in boxing, wrestling, bjj, kickboxing, or muy Thai is going to win you most 1 on 1 fights with a guy of equal size who doesn’t have training. Now is your green belt in karate that you got at age 11 going to help you against a group of armed thugs? No it’s fucking not because that’s obvious. Size and weight play a factor into a fight but so does your technique especially if you’re a grappler and if you disagree with that you’re welcome to come to my gym in Philadelphia for a free week I’ll
    Prove it to you.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Since when does it only take one arm to clear your garment and draw a concealed carry?

Since forever, I guess? It's something taught/drilled at a lot of basic concealed carry and tactical pistol courses.

10+ Year Old Account
    MMO-Champion, home of the clickbait worse than Buzzfeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz
    MMO champion for example used to be the center of WoW theorycrafting

they are what they are. some are very torny focused, some more defense focused. meh

10+ Year Old Account
    It wasn't drawn, it was an "I got a gun" kind of threat. As the article quotes: "Then he put his hand over [a gun], but I realized it was too soft." Searches are a bit limited here, so I can't find the article I'm thinking of. In one of the other articles she is said to have taken into account that even if the gun were real, she would be able to hit him before he could *draw* it.

Yep, one would kind of expect so, and yet in various martial arts threads here one will see how a woman supposedly can't win against a man in a physical confrontation. I figure that picture of his face makes your point.
    It depends on the man and woman, if they're both equally trained....their sizes...speed...ect ect...

Quote Originally Posted by crewskater View Post
    Person with a real gun would still win.
    Actually, in close proximity combat situations a gun is much less deadly than at range. Mind you, I am talking about a person with a gun against a trained martial artist.
    Felpooti - DH - Echo Isles
    Hack - Warrior - Echo Isles
    Pootie - Hunter - Echo Isles

I mean, Thats not a fair comparison. You're using a professional athlete. Punching someone in the head until he's basically unconcious then choking him isn't a martial arts.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pooti View Post
    Actually, in close proximity combat situations a gun is much less deadly than at range. Mind you, I am talking about a person with a gun against a trained martial artist.
    They will definitely lose if they go to the John Wick school of fighting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Josuke View Post
    It's not about flight. People have tried to mug me multiple times I'd just rather those who are desperate enough to mug people get the help they need. If they blow my head off that's cool too.

If I chose flight I would have just run away.
    I keep my money in a money clip and toss it at the first sign of trouble.

It's the Bittenbinder method.
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Pooti View Post
    It's still a losing proposition if the person knows how to create separation, body out their draw, and draw appropriately. I mean, if I know where the gun is, I can try to get an arm across it, or my own torso and work from there, but if somebody suddenly goes to draw in an altercation, I'm going to have to lunge quickly to get after the holstered side of their body, and if they know what they're doing, they're not going to just let me do that freely. It is important to note though, most people who carry guns, including cops, don't know much about how to do this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Happy Year of the Pig, folks!

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo
    if I know where the gun is, I can try to get an arm across it, or my own torso and work from there, but if somebody suddenly goes to draw in an altercation, I'm going to have to lunge quickly to get after the holstered side of their body, and if they know what they're doing, they're not going to just let me do that freely.
    @Polyxo You fought professionally and you're fairly confident in your ability to knock someone out or take them down. I notice that you're talking about the same things I was trained to do for getting control of the gun, and the same things the guys on the other side of the fence (carrying firearms for self defense) were training to avoid.

Why do that instead of going right for what @Vegas82 describes as:
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82
    You don’t have to grab an arm. You just punch them in the nose and tackle them. They’re just as likely to shoot themself as you in that situation.
    I know why I would. That's how I was trained and the reason I was given was that every moment I'm not in control of my opponent's firearm extends his window of opportunity to get it into play. Pain and compliance weren't recommended because of a similar concern.
    With COVID-19 making its impact on our lives, I have decided that I shall hang in there for my remaining days, skip some meals, try to get children to experiment with making henna patterns on their skin, and plant some trees. You know -- live, fast, dye young, and leave a pretty copse. I feel like I may not have that quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by tikcol View Post
    That was a weak man vs an extraordinarily powerful woman, an average man would make her his personal punching bag. A powerful man would clobber her to a pulp and an extraordinarily powerful man such as myself would grind her to dust.
    No. Pros, male or female >>>> pretty much anyone, male or female. It's generally not even close.

- - - Updated - - -

Happy Year of the Pig, folks!

@Polyxo You fought professionally and you're fairly confident in your ability to knock someone out or take them down. I notice that you're talking about the same things I was trained to do for getting control of the gun, and the same things the guys on the other side of the fence (carrying firearms for self defense) were training to avoid.

Why do that instead of going right for what @Vegas82 describes as:

I know why I would. That's how I was trained and the reason I was given was that every moment I'm not in control of my opponent's firearm extends his window of opportunity to get it into play. Pain and compliance weren't recommended because of a similar concern.
    The biggest issue being unarmed and dealing with a person who is armed is that 1. They're going to have easier access to the gun than I am, naturally, so it's not like I can just easily snatch it away unless they're incompetent, and 2. I have to keep track of their draw side the whole time I'm dealing with them, which limits my ability to move around and transition and fight. If everyone goes perfectly, I'm already on their drawing side, and my chest just stays plastered to that side the whole time as I just work them from a very, very tight clinch.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerovar View Post
    I'll take both.
    So martial arts makes you Azathoth?

yes of course weapons are more powerful than body but the self-motivated body can do something like that and we get it only when we make us capable of it.

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    But what if the man was 6'5 and 240 lbs?

I doubt it would've gone all that well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tonus View Post
    Man with starving children tries to steal loaf of bread.

Swalload has him arrested then tells him, “You’re welcome.”
    Yeah, he's going to jail and his kids will go in a family that can take care of them instead of dying with their failure of a father. You're very much welcome for saving your kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Punching someone in the head until he's basically unconcious then choking him isn't a martial arts.
    How so ? It seems pretty much the definition of what an actual martial art is about, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenfinn View Post
    But what if the man was 6'5 and 240 lbs?

I doubt it would've gone all that well.
    It still would've probably gone pretty well. Pros >>>> everybody else, again.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    It still would've probably gone pretty well. Pros >>>> everybody else, again.
    I would pay money to see a 115lb female pro try and take on the average 6'5 240 lb male