Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Apartment Publicly Shames Tenant for Dog Peeing Outside

Wanted to get your thoughts on this:

Yesterday I received a mass email from my apartment complex titled “Smile You and Your Dog are on Camera!” that included two pictures. The first was of me walking my dog through the apartment’s double set of doors and the second was of my dog peeing outside on the sidewalk about 7 feet away from the door.

The email went on to say that this was unacceptable and if it continued that the residents would be required to pay for cost of cleaning the entryway.

I don’t have a problem with being asked to bring my dog further out away from the door, but it seems in really bad form to make my picture public and dangerously close to illegal (harassment, defamation?).

I sent a strongly worded letter to the off-sight management group explaining how unprofessional it was and how they could have handled it differently. I received a canned response back thanking me for my concern and outlining the idea that they don’t want dogs peeing near doors. When I spoke to the head manager, she refused to engage nor admit any wrong-doing, explained that there was nothing else to talk about and hung-up on me after a 14 minute conversation.

We’re responsible dog owners, always clean up after he uses the bathroom, and usually try to get him well away from the doors when he has to pee, although walking down 3 flights of stairs and a long hallway creates a sense of urgency for him.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is likely half the story, and I agree with owners being shamed for not cleaning up OR letting their pets pee and defecate anywhere and everywhere.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

10+ Year Old Account
    Did you you learn your lesson?

Did your dog pee in a place it wasn't supposed to? Then you better make sure it gets where it is supposed to go next time. I side with the apartment complex on this one. You were in the wrong, regardless of whether or not you had control over it. If they posted this publicly, as in your entire complex could see it, it will deter others from attempting the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    Sue. Public distribution of unauthorized tapes made without your consent is not legal in a place of residence WITHOUT NOTICE.
    Fixed that for you. My complex has it in fine print that if you are caught on camera doing something against the rules, they can and will post it to our complex's website in order to deter people from attempting to get away with it again. They also ask people to publicly name (again, just on their website) anyone caught doing anything against the rules, up to and including anything involving pets.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Lobosan View Post
    ^ Spoken like someone who has never cared for a pet or child in their life.
    Spoken by someone that is sick and tired of stepping in dog shit that the fucking lazy owner never bothered to pick up. Has absolutely dick-all to do with whether or not I've ever owned a pet. If you can't control it properly, can't clean up after it, you shouldn't own a pet. Period.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by Prussian View Post
    Wanted to get your thoughts on this:

Yesterday I received a mass email from my apartment complex titled “Smile You and Your Dog are on Camera!” that included two pictures. The first was of me walking my dog through the apartment’s double set of doors and the second was of my dog peeing outside on the sidewalk about 7 feet away from the door.

The email went on to say that this was unacceptable and if it continued that the residents would be required to pay for cost of cleaning the entryway.

I don’t have a problem with being asked to bring my dog further out away from the door, but it seems in really bad form to make my picture public and dangerously close to illegal (harassment, defamation?).

I sent a strongly worded letter to the off-sight management group explaining how unprofessional it was and how they could have handled it differently. I received a canned response back thanking me for my concern and outlining the idea that they don’t want dogs peeing near doors. When I spoke to the head manager, she refused to engage nor admit any wrong-doing, explained that there was nothing else to talk about and hung-up on me after a 14 minute conversation.

We’re responsible dog owners, always clean up after he uses the bathroom, and usually try to get him well away from the doors when he has to pee, although walking down 3 flights of stairs and a long hallway creates a sense of urgency for him.
    Yeah, I am with you; unlikely anything can be done about it unless you face documentable issues with harassment. Don't agree with the notion that people should be publicly shamed, especially if no initial steps were taken to work with you.

I can assure you it’s the full-story, but I’m more interested in the fact that you think it’s a reasonable recourse to publicly shame your paying tenant for a dog peeing outside. Send us a letter, warning, or fine privately.

And I’ll reiterate that we pick up after our dog 100% of the time. If you can think of an effective way to clean up dog pee outside, let me know. If you have a dog, I’m sure you understand that when you take him outside, controlling where he urinates can be difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Spoken by someone that is sick and tired of stepping in dog shit that the fucking lazy owner never bothered to pick up. Has absolutely dick-all to do with whether or not I've ever owned a pet. If you can't control it properly, can't clean up after it, you shouldn't own a pet. Period.
    Tells people to look after pets/children without experience, can't look at the floor to avoid dog shit though LUL.

15+ Year Old Account
    Fixed that for you. My complex has it in fine print that if you are caught on camera doing something against the rules, they can and will post it to our complex's website in order to deter people from attempting to get away with it again. They also ask people to publicly name (again, just on their website) anyone caught doing anything against the rules, up to and including anything involving pets.

- - - Updated - - -

You can pick up urine? please do tell us how you pick up urine.
    My rogue RIP 2004-2019
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    No they don’t learn and evidence suggests that. Behavior also doesn’t change and if there is any hope of learning behavior has to change.

Not meaningless declarations easy to say after he regrets offering up evidence he’s a racist.

Did you you learn your lesson?

Did your dog pee in a place it wasn't supposed to? Then you better make sure it gets where it is supposed to go next time. I side with the apartment complex on this one. You were in the wrong, regardless of whether or not you had control over it. If they posted this publicly, as in your entire complex could see it, it will deter others from attempting the same.
    It’s a lesson that can be taught just as effectively by sending a fine of warning letter privately as opposed to ostracizing a resident and making their living situation uncomfortable.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prussian View Post
    If you can think of an effective way to clean up dog pee outside, let me know.
    A straw?

Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

The Lease likely mentions security cameras.
    And as such...probably not much of a case. It's not like you're being evicted.
    Although after multiple warnings...warnings that they can honestly say that they did send you..

Of course you could always find another apt.

Quote Originally Posted by i9erek View Post
    Just assume everyone happened to walk by while you dog was peeing. I would follow up with an email apologizing to all instead of arguing with management.
    That would be a graceful tact.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralgarog View Post
    Don't get yourself evicted over some petty bullshit. Swallow your pride, do your best to have your pet pee in the designated areas.
    I’ll carry him to the right spots if I have to. I can swallow my pride, but it just feels so violating and excessive.

For the record, I absolutely despise when people don’t pick up theirs dog’s poop.

Trolling?
    If you want an eviction notice then feel free.

You need to establish your place at the top of your apartment complex's hierarchy.
    Tomorrow, instead of letting your dog pee there, do it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    How would a picture of you be defamation? It's also only a single incident so it wouldn't constitute harassment. If you're on their property they have a right to take you a picture of you. Distributing it for monetary gain would certainly be an issue but I don't think what they did is illegal at all.

But yeah, it is pretty gross to have your dog peeing on the sidewalk. You don't have a grass area instead?

- - - Updated - - -

If you don't think you did anything wrong, then why would you consider what they did shaming you? If you do believe it's shaming you, perhaps you believe what you did is wrong.

I recommend the best approach which is to read David Thorne's email exchanges. Take lessons and troll them.

http://www.27bslash6.com/
    There's a solid foot of snow on the sidewalk so it's hard to even tell where the grass area starts.

I understand now that they want people moving a certain radius away, and sure, they can take pictures of people on their property, but why choose to go that route with a customer when there are better options?

Why even have a dog in a third story apartment? Wouldn't a cat be easier?

Two ways to fix your situation.

1.) Learn how to look where you walk
    2.) Learn how to read

"The second was of my dog peeing outside on the sidewalk about 7 feet away from the door."
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurrora View Post
    You need to establish your place at the top of your apartment complex's hierarchy.
    Tomorrow, instead of letting your dog pee there, do it yourself.
    Now THERE's an idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    This is likely half the story, and I agree with owners being shamed for not cleaning up OR letting their pets pee and defecate anywhere and everywhere.

... you must be fun at parties... you have too much time on your hands.