Page 75 of 115 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorotia View Post
    Except it isn't false....they threw in one *flaw* so they have plausible deniability....just like Rey was afraid at the start, they throw in a flaw to make her seem not so perfect. It's a typical tactic...
    Having flaws means she's not a Mary Sue.

By definition.

You don't get to redefine concepts like that willy-nilly. Nor is Burnham's mutiny her only character flaw. She was sleeping with a Klingon agent and didn't see it. She's often arrogant or stubborn. Etc.

Even if you want to say she isn't a Mary Sue....everyone always turns to her....she is always right....the whole universe basically revolves around her, without her the universe would have ended numerous times. It's written like fan fiction...
    Yeah, no. This is flat-out wrong. Plenty of plotlines don't center around Burnham.

Worse, your argument applies to nearly every character in Star Trek, at some point or another. So it really seems like you just don't like Star Trek. Either that, or you're applying a double standard to Discovery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except it isn't false....they threw in one *flaw* so they have plausible deniability....just like Rey was afraid at the start, they throw in a flaw to make her seem not so perfect. It's a typical tactic...

Even if you want to say she isn't a Mary Sue....everyone always turns to her....she is always right....the whole universe basically revolves around her, without her the universe would have ended numerous times. It's written like fan fiction...
    What about the fact she was saved by the white man in season 2?

just finished Eps 4 and I am really liking the direction they are taking.

They are working to reverse their damage on the timeline, or as I thought they would, explain their way back to TOS timeline.

Tilly and May: May is an entity from the network trying to stop Discovery from using the Jump drive to travel and kidnapped her as well. This can take a route about how dangerous to both Starfleet and sentient life it is to use such technology.

With Pike, his statement about ditching the Hologram tech for regular veiwscreens can now correct the tech Overpoweredness of the fact it did not exist in that timeline. Though others can still use it at least Enterprise TOS will not have it.

I am liking that they are starting to flesh out the other characters. This is a nice episode focusing on Saru and there was very little Burnham involved in each plot point.

I hope they can keep on this track.

10+ Year Old Account
    The episode was fine, enjoyable.

Les Moonves was outed by CBS....he didn't get his severance package...so now as he is gone he gets to see Star Trek burn and CBS waste money on this horrible piece of trash.

It's a win/win for Les Moonves.
    How is this a win/win? Getting fired and losing severance would be considered a loss. Not being up to exert control over something you "hate" is also a loss.

More like Trek fans get to laugh at an asshole and get a decent show at the same time. That's a win/win.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    The episode was fine, enjoyable.
    Reno and Stamets need to get high together more often.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    How is this a win/win? Getting fired and losing severance would be considered a loss. Not being up to exert control over something you "hate" is also a loss.

More like Trek fans get to laugh at an asshole and get a decent show at the same time. That's a win/win.

- - - Updated - - -

Reno and Stamets need to get high together more often.
    He gets revenge against the people who were going to obviously can him....he isn't like a actor...they can't just fire the man on the top of the totem pole right on the spot....plus he hates Star Trek.

Discovery failing means not only losses for CBS, the ones who canned him....means Star Trek may never have a future.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirza View Post
    I'm seeing a ton of wrong opinions in here.

>:O

DS9 = TNG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> the rest >x32325 STD
    an opinion cannot be wrong. dont use arguments that have more holes than a mesh fence for trumps wall.

He gets revenge against the people who were going to obviously can him....he isn't like a actor...they can't just fire the man on the top of the totem pole right on the spot....plus he hates Star Trek.

Discovery failing means not only losses for CBS, the ones who canned him....means Star Trek may never have a future.
    He gets revenge by not having power to do anything? If he hates Star Trek why bother with a show in the first place? Inflicting losses on CBS is not a reason. He was still in charge after it was commissioned and then renewed.

I like Star Trek Discovery. The story lines are always interesting. It makes me want to keep watching every episode on Netflix.

Not entirely sure about the new season so far, tbh. They create this sense of urgence, and dangle Spock in front of our noses, but then keep making somewhat interesting but completly unrelated storylines. As if they want the 'old' format of one episode, one story, while they also want a progressing continuous storyline, and I feel it takes away a little from both.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    Not entirely sure about the new season so far, tbh. They create this sense of urgence, and dangle Spock in front of our noses, but then keep making somewhat interesting but completly unrelated storylines. As if they want the 'old' format of one episode, one story, while they also want a progressing continuous storyline, and I feel it takes away a little from both.
    What makes you so sure these stories are unrelated? It looks like the Red Angel is leading (or luring) Discovery somewhere. I mean it looks like the Red Angel lead the Discovery towards the sphere and then lead them to Caminar so that they can use the information the sphere contained to help the Kelpians. I believe the writers are doing a very fine job in balancing serialization with self contained episodes. Each episode (or at least several of them) can be enjoyed on its own, but they are all part of an overarching story arc.

But, yeah, it's time we finally see Spock. I have a feeling it could be next episode. "I have to return home, on Vulcan," Burnham said...
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Huge potential in this show, hope they don't get cancelled soon.

I just have this bad feeling that the doctor's gay relationship won't work out and will turn into a drama. Hopefully they'll get rid of it quickly.

Space is too damn vast and exciting to have internal soap operas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post

I just have this bad feeling that the doctor's gay relationship won't work out and will turn into a drama. Hopefully they'll get rid of it quickly.

I feel like he might end up like Neelix. Neelix died and had his beliefs challenged. He never really recovered from it either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post

They've got two ways that can basically go, really.

The first is that the Doctor's really himself, hooray, he's got some trauma but will get better over time. Not really a "soap opera".
    The second is that the Doctor's really not himself; he's a partial translation from Stamets' mind and isn't all there, or he's still made of fungus stuff, or whatever. He progressively decays and either becomes a monster or they get to say their "goodbyes" properly before he dies for reals. Only the latter's soapy, but it's also got a clock on it. And really, Stamets was moping around; I'd rather he just get his guy back and get over it. The doc was a great character (which doesn't mean he shouldn't have been killed; character deaths only matter when the audience wants them to live because they need more from that character). Stamets has enough shit going on with the mycelial network.

The TNG-era Enterprise had tons of relationships going on. This stuff isn't new with Discovery.

Don't have cbs allaccess, but a friend of mine got the first season on bluray a few days ago.

I'm glad I didnt get allaccess just for this show. What utter crap, I didnt get past the second episode.

TOS, TNG, and the last 2 seasons of DS9 are my cup of tea. Enterprise was just a complete mess, Voyager screwed up the Borg (unforgivable).
    "Independence forever!" --- President John Adams
    "America is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own." --- President John Quincy Adams
    "Our Federal Union! It must be preserved!" --- President Andrew Jackson

catching up on season 2 and still just 2 much wrong to be a ST show, but ok Sci-fi Show. I do like them trying to explain away the holograms for comms for enterprise in TOS but yet it never comes back? Also the spore drive... is still just to much, know the borg and voyager itself would be 2 times it would be looked at in the future regardless of impact...
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

15+ Year Old Account
    The show is fine, stop comparing it to the old ones. I like how they have modernized the races. There are more alien looking aliens, no more "slightly different" humans.
    The storyline is fine, I don't think about the previous shows even though I have seen everything after DS9.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaira View Post
    Exactly this I look at these shows as from an alternate reality perspective so I don't have to compare it to other ST timelines and I'm finding the show fascinating.
    Combined with the fact that it has been stated multiple times that ST Discovery is not part of either the Kelvin or Prime Timelines and is in no way connected to Star Trek properties in any way I do not know why people keep putting it up to TOS and such. Yes they do have all the characters and ships and full universe of Star Trek, but they are not "connected" to any Star Trek shows.

When I watch this I think of it the same as I do Gotham, same world just not connected.

Omg this episooode ! And the next one will be even more wooo! Lots of budget in this one.

Loved this episode, very little to no drama, amazing concept, mistery, and action.

10+ Year Old Account
    In my opinion this show has taken a step back since the first season.

Now, the first half of season 1 was pretty bad but then it got a lot better. In season 2 this far they seem to have gone a full 180 and gone for a more "problem of the week" approach like the star trek series' of old and it just doesn't really work. I get that there's a main storyline here with the Red Angel much like there was a main storyline in season 1, but now it's kind of chopped up and filled with what can only be described as side missions.

The whole episodic structure of the current show is a bit old school these days but it can still work if it's done well. The problem is that it's not done well here. The acting is quite OK but the problem is the script and the dialogue. It's like every scene is too short and the action is moving along too quickly coupled with some more "tender" scenes like flashbacks from childhood that just drag on and on and it all feels disjointed somehow, and the dialogue is just weird most of the time. Perfect example in the latest episode: OK you're under attack by some tentacle-probe and your captain makes a decision, perfect time to question your captain with some weird introspective about how his actions are driven by his failures in the past war or something, like wut?
    This 2nd season is just riddled with these scenes where the characters react emotionally or say something that no one would ever do in those situations, which makes the whole thing feel unnatural and kind of uncomfortable somehow.