Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    So you get a resistance to HIV and a greater level of intelligence? I'm not seeing any downsides yet, though I do recall them saying it would make them more vulnerable to some sort of illness, but I can't remember what.

I don't know why people are so scared about improving the human race. We should be trying (carefully, and with lots of testing and quadruple-checking) to make ourselves better than we are now. We're gonna need it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    There are already too many people on this planet. And you want cancer and such to go away? Geez.
    Clearly you've never had a loved one suffer from cancer, HIV, etc. or you wouldn't be wishing it on anyone.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    Curious you'd say that -- would you have the same feelings for people around the world today with genetic disorders and congenital defects from having children too ?
    No I would not. But we currently don't know what the long term (generations) effects of modifying/enhancing humans in this way may lead to.

Quote Originally Posted by smityx View Post
    No I would not. But we currently don't know what the long term (generations) effects of modifying/enhancing humans in this way may lead to.
    Any long term effects would basically just involve the gene (or genes) passing down to offspring. Any effects caused by that gene edit/deletion itself can be studied in mice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asrialol View Post
    There are already too many people on this planet. And you want cancer and such to go away? Geez.
    I'd like death to go away entirely. The population of people in 1st world countries is decreasing and there's a growing aging population. Gene editing is something we need.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnedge View Post
    Super intelligent humans created by any means may actually save the rest of us knuckle draggers from killing the planet and ourselves... or they could take over the world and enslave us all.
    With greater abilities sometimes comes greater ambition.

While positive, we have to acknowledge that this shows just how little we understand about this stuff. We tried to create immunity to a disease, and wound up impacting the ability to form memories.

I still think the only way we'll truly come to understand this stuff and grasp firmly the reins of our own destiny is this sort of trial and error, but it certainly showcases the "error" part.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochana View Post
    Or like happens with a lot of people who are too intelligent: They get mocked and or destroyed by the rest of society.
    That is until they are all concentrated in a single nation that happens to be governed via authoritarian rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Atraxxa View Post
    I am having a hard time finding a downside to less dumb people in the world.
    Throw 10 million people into a city that are kind, humble, caring and lack confidence and you will create heaven on Earth. Throw 10 million people into a city that a bred exclusively for intelligence and you will create hell on Earth as they tear each other apart and fall into dysfunction. Basically, when you are dealing with massive human populations living close together, being smart isn't what makes it function.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerogue View Post
    While positive, we have to acknowledge that this shows just how little we understand about this stuff. We tried to create immunity to a disease, and wound up impacting the ability to form memories.

I still think the only way we'll truly come to understand this stuff and grasp firmly the reins of our own destiny is this sort of trial and error, but it certainly showcases the "error" part.
    you actually believe they were not trying to enhance intelligence?

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post
    Intelligence is the cure for HIV/AIDS.

Wear rubber.
    And don’t share needles

Quote Originally Posted by Rustedsaint View Post
    And don’t share needles
    And don't eat meat from primates.

I've met far too many intelligent people that have the thinnest skins...
    *shrugs* Intelligence isn't everything these days.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Superior ability breeds superior ambition. Whatever could go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Unholyground View Post
    The great part is, you can alter you DNA while you are alive too with the same process. This is how they have discovered how to reverse age and regenerate organs like eyes in mice already and human trials on age reduction are only a few years away
    Fuck age reduction, can this shit save my hair?
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stormbringer View Post
    So you get a resistance to HIV and a greater level of intelligence? I'm not seeing any downsides yet, though I do recall them saying it would make them more vulnerable to some sort of illness, but I can't remember what.

I don't know why people are so scared about improving the human race. We should be trying (carefully, and with lots of testing and quadruple-checking) to make ourselves better than we are now. We're gonna need it.

- - - Updated - - -

Clearly you've never had a loved one suffer from cancer, HIV, etc. or you wouldn't be wishing it on anyone.
    My mom had endometrial cancer, actually. My grandma had lounge cancer, my grandad had prostate cancer. Plenty of cancer in other words.

Didn't say I wished it on anyone. I believe 8-10 million people dies from cancer per year. Wouldn't be a good thing for the planet if they didn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vash The Stampede View Post
    I'd like death to go away entirely. The population of people in 1st world countries is decreasing and there's a growing aging population. Gene editing is something we need.
    You want people to live forever? What would we do then when the planet is dying, but we can't die? Suffer forever without breathable air? Will probably take a few generations to adapt, if that ever happens.

Where did you learn the population is decreasing? Doesn't sound right. Perhaps you mean the population growth is decreasing? Which is and has been expected.
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Atraxxa View Post
    I am having a hard time finding a downside to less dumb people in the world.
    **fewer dumb people**

Felt appropriate to correct just that one... LOL

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice...though they also get no ribs and no sperm for their offspring in 10 generation, oops

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, guess we'll all bow to our Chinese transhuman overlords in the next few decades or so.
    The shadowy Daughter of Urthona stood before red Orc,
    When fourteen suns had faintly journey'd o'er his dark abode:
    His food she brought in iron baskets, his drink in cups of iron:
    Crown'd with a helmet and dark hair the nameless female stood;

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by UnluckyAmateur View Post
    Fuck age reduction, can this shit save my hair?
    Why do you care so much about your hair?

To me, losing hair is completely meaningless. Like, absolutely irrelevant.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Just watched the divergent film again last night, interesting thoughts about the unintended consequences of altering DNA