Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinzai View Post
    What you said is false.

They don't pick what reviewer's reviews show up and what ones don't.

You have to sign up to the site to post any reviews. You are then vetted.

If you have history as a reviewer, you can post reviews for anything.

What you're trying to suggest is that reviews are specifically chosen to be shown or not by Rotten Tomatoes.
    They pick which reviewers they want to be approved based on their previous activity - if you shit on shitty movies too much - tough luck. If you opinion deviates from expected - tough luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Just for clarification, they are not any more "handpicked" than people who drive cars are - you can't just go and get a car and drive away, you have to first go through a process to be vetted, which is called getting a driver's license.
    Better example would be applying for a job. You know, because when you get drivers license you get judged based on objective rules. Look at rules on which rotten tomato reviewers are picked, the only objective one here is "2 year experience", and appearance on TV / radio others are:
    Demonstrated film/TV coverage at a publication outside of a self-published website. However, we will consider critics who solely self-publish if their site and work reflect our key values.
    "Your coverage should be shown outside of self-published website, unless it doesn't"

And anyways all of that doesn't matter because...
    "In some cases, even if a critic or publication does not meet the eligibility guidelines listed above, we may consider them for approval if we believe their inclusion will benefit the utility of the Tomatometer and its audience.

In all cases, Rotten Tomatoes maintains the right to approve, reject, and remove critics and publications on a case-by-case basis at any time.

From time to time we change our guidelines, and there may be critics or publications who are still included in the Tomatometer that may not meet the current set of guidelines."

which basically means "we pick whoever the fuck we want, deal with it". Which isn't something they shouldn't be able to do, but it significantly hurts credibility of their reviews
    Last edited by Charge me Doctor; 2019-03-06 at 04:20 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    Ok? Go read it. That’s not a particularly positive review.
    I'll read it after I watch it. In any case its clear they had misgivings but still gave it a positive review. If they genuinely didn't like it, they would've given it a lower score.

I have misgivings about Alita. I'd still give it at least a 6/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I'll read it after I watch it. In any case its clear they had misgivings but still gave it a positive review. If they genuinely didn't like it, they would've given it a lower score.

I have misgivings about Alita. I'd still give it at least a 6/10.
    You’re still missing the point. It’s Vox. They’re as "far left" as it gets. For them to give it a 3/5, that says quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mentauk the Mindtaker View Post
    Well Brie can be a bit boring but if you add some nice crackers then it can be quite good.

(I wasnt being serious with my comments)
    Pair it with some whine to make it more interesting?

Quote Originally Posted by ohiostate124 View Post
    You’re still missing the point. It’s Vox. They’re as "far left" as it gets. For them to give it a 3/5, that says quite a bit.
    Really? I've heard complaints about them being overly centrist. Or are they "far left" like CNN.

In any event I don't see how being "far left" means giving an automatic strong review for Captain Marvel.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    They’re simply checking applications to ensure they meet the criteria laid out in the link you provided.
    Unless they don't, which they highlighted on the bottom of the page
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    Really? I've heard complaints about them being overly centrist. Or are they "far left" like CNN.

In any event I don't see how being "far left" means giving an automatic strong review for Captain Marvel.
    Who can complain that vox is anywhere near the center? Are we reading the same site?

Quote Originally Posted by urasim View Post
    Bullshit. My wife and I knew nothing about Alita and thought it was way better than the "critics" were saying.

My point is... If you're going to make these sorts of assumptions about something, maybe you should assert some evidence to prove it..
    I mean, sure. Here's an article: https://www.vox.com/culture/2018/8/13/

Quoting from it:
    Another favorite measure of audience opinion comes from websites that collect and tabulate the opinions of self-selecting volunteers. Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic are primarily interested in tabulating critics’ opinions, but they also collect grades from audiences and display them on the site. And IMDB doesn’t collect critics’ grades at all — just audience scores. (In some iterations of IMDB, you may also see the Metacritic score, which IMDB draws from Metacritic’s data set of aggregate critics’ opinions.)

Often, critics and audiences roughly track with one another. But sometimes critics’ scores and audience scores diverge greatly, a fact that people with critically derided films sometimes proclaim as if it says something positive about their film:

The narrative this argument is resting on is the assertion that critics, with their high-falutin’ ways and their snobby tendencies, are disconnected from the real, authentic folk, and therefore shouldn’t be trusted. Critically panned movies like Death of a Nation, Gotti, Baywatch — they’re for the fans, not the critics.

....the randomness of the sampling is less rigorous than the information collected by CinemaScore, which surveys everyone in the same theater. It seems reasonable to assume that the people motivated to spend the time entering an audience score on a website feel very strongly about the film, either in a positive or negative direction.

Additionally, the data would likely skew to favor the opinions of people who use those sites — which may, for instance, favor those with more leisure time, more access to the internet, and more technologically savvy than others.

Then consider that subset of people against critics, a group of people that skews male and white, but that also doesn’t choose to review a film because of their feeling about the film, but because it’s their job to review the film. That can lead to more shoulder-shrugging reviews — the 3/5 star score — but it makes for a more moderate score.
    It was literally the first article when I googled "self selecting audience vs critics"

Here's another about the review bombing of TLJ in comparison to comScore's 89% audience approvals:

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/12...audience-score

A great quote from that article citing and sourcing to some 538 studies:

538.com has posted three recent studies regarding imdb and its user scores:
    [*]First, there was this one that talked about the gender split on TV shows and how men scores were negatively skewing shows directed towards women.
    [*]Then this one that talked about how men were review bombing the Ghostbusters remake.
    [*]Finally, this one about An Inconvenient Sequel and how it was reviewed bombed, even before its release to the public.

All three discuss similar conclusions to the ones mentioned in this editorial, but I think it’s relevant to point out that in all three studies, the targeted content contained traditional liberal ideology – either content that represented diverse and more inclusive female voices or a documentary about global warning. Considering there was an attempted boycott of The Force Awakens over diverse casting and a female central character, I’ll submit that the motivation behind the review bombing of The Last Jedi is not solely motivated by opinions about quality and faithfulness to the franchise, but also as a protest to how Disney has recently attempted to create more diverse characters and also cast more diverse actors and actresses in their tentpole content, including Star Wars.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    I’m not sure what your point is. They allow people with more limited experience to be critics from time to time. How exactly is that them handpicking the reviewers on their site? At best it’s them hand picking outliers. And, as I have said many times, who gives a shit? Find the reviewers you trust to be consistent and go from there. Don’t trust some tomatometer or meta score.
    I firmly believe that last part of your post should be repeated again and again until it become common knowledge.

My point is that they have an ability to handpick reviewers and they literally gave themselves an ability to ignore these criteria when picking critics. Basically, they are able to remove those, who don't give "proper" review score and accept those who agree to give "proper" review score. Which blows credibility of such website out of the water. Especially considering recent removal of another potential consumer-based metric from their website.

Quote Originally Posted by Charge me Doctor View Post
    I firmly believe that last part of your post should be repeated again and again until it become common knowledge.

My point is that they have an ability to handpick reviewers and they literally gave themselves an ability to ignore these criteria when picking critics. Basically, they are able to remove those, who don't give "proper" review score and accept those who agree to give "proper" review score. Which blows credibility of such website out of the water. Especially considering recent removal of another potential consumer-based metric from their website.
    And what do you define as "proper" or what do you think RT deems as "proper"?

First reviews come out and?? What a surprise the movie is boring and mediocre and everyone hates Bri performance :P Lol no wonder :P when you had Cate Blanchett or Zoe Saldana as your choice in the past and then Bri "The Log" Larsen?? Who did the casting??!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    As far as I can tell, the only people expecting that were the far-right types who've been lying their butts off about what Larson said on her press tour and trying to brigade this film's reviews, like they did with Black Panther
    I'm aware. The status quo with any movie with women emerging as the main lead in a setting where it is usually men is tons of people mass winging about conspiracies. And oddly enough it seems to have no relationship withy personal viewer experience. I absolutely hated what little I could stomach of Ghostbusters 2016. I absolutely loved wonder woman.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, in terms of aggregate scores in general. Why the hell should I care either way what a mob of critics thinks? I have three critics that I follow closely, only one of whom has put out a review yet. Follow people whose interests line up with yours, not with the views of whoever pushes their review out the door first to be ahead of the pack.

"benefits from the craft and talent of a cast that includes annette Bening, Jude Law, and Ben Mendelsohn"
    Ouch.

I would like to voice my opinion about this film, but im a white male, so im not allowed.

Trailers looked bland, reviews make it sound bland, maybe the next one will be better. Damned by faint praise.

Since we are comparing CM and Alita... I just wanted to point out that Alita: Battle Angel got better reviews than Captain Marvel... in France:

Alita Average: 3.5/5 stars
    (go to allocine.fr) (I am new so can't post links)

Captain Marvel average: 3.1/5 stars
    (go to allocine.fr)

Why the difference? I personally believe it is the influence of the backers of Captain Marvel (Disney, Marvel, SJW crowd). The two movies don't compare well side by side for CM (ie: if you have seen both, Alita is the clear winner (from what I hear from friends in France)). So the less people that have seen Alita before CM comes out, the better CM's box office chances.

Also, as to why the SJW crowd doesn't like Alita...

Alita is feminist movie (strong female lead), but not woke movie. Woke is about overcompensating: women must be overpower and show no weakness. For example, since Alita does have a love interest (love = dependence on men = weakness), it disqualifies her from being "woke", which is why SJW hate it (CM is first Marvel movie without any romance).
    Last edited by cedec0; 2019-03-06 at 08:14 AM.

This film will benefit from no other notable films being released this weekend, so expect a strong box office opening. But also expect a catastrophic collapse in takings once word of mouth gets out and something, anything, opens to compete with it. My prediction, 80-90 mil this weekend and 500-550 mil overall takings. Puts it in Antman & Wasp territory.

Good, now maybe we can get the End Game movie we wanted instead of the one we were worried about.

5+ Year Old Account
    I was shocked to find out all other movies are not showing this weekend, because to celebrate international womens day u can tell women that worked on all the other movies to go fuck themselves...I can only facepalm at this insanity...

Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Rotten Tomatoes had negative user reviews for Captain Marvel before it even released which is why they took pre-release reviews off the site.
    That's actually a lie. I assume you repeat what you read somewhere, and didn't check for yourself. It had a lot of people saying that they were not interested in seeing the movie for a variety of reasons. Like 'It doesn't look interesting to me'. I was one of those. Rotten Tomatoes doesn't give users the option to review a movie prior to its release, didn't give it befor the change they made a week ago, and doesn't now. Some people of course tried to spin it into it being 'negative reviews' because it suited their agenda that 'trolls were'... what did they call it? Brigade the movie, because they couldn't cope with the fact that their new shiny progressive movie simply isn't appealing to many people.

I'm not saying that there weren't some assholes who simply clicked 'uninterested' because they are trolling, or hate women, or Brie Larson, but if you actually read through these 'reviews', through the reasons people listed why they wanted to see the movie, or didn't, you'd find that most people who bothered listing a reason why they picked one or the other actually made a lot of sense.

it’s not only the French that have been disappointed by captain marvel. Here in Norway the “film police” have given it a 3 out of 6 (a meer 50% rating) describing it as “not very exciting, not particularly fun and not very inventive in its large, powerful tables. This is mediocre stuff”

https://p3.no/filmpolitiet/2019/03/captain-marvel/