Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

The Heirloom Trap

I was so overwhelmed that I was finally able to spend my lvl110 boost on a KT Druid that I went for the Heirloom lvl120 upgrades and spent a ton of gold for it. It was at this moment I knew I fucked up.

So how should I handle this? Wearing my heirlooms and give up on the three 285ilvl pieces and azerite traits or wearing my azerite armor and give up on the 30%xp? Needless to say at this point that I was also so dumb to upgrade my necklace

id probably keep the 30% for speed sake azerite gear from wq is fairly common

Quote Originally Posted by Piesor View Post
    I was so overwhelmed that I was finally able to spend my lvl110 boost on a KT Druid that I went for the Heirloom lvl120 upgrades and spent a ton of gold for it. It was at this moment I knew I fucked up.

So how should I handle this? Wearing my heirlooms and give up on the three 285ilvl pieces and azerite traits or wearing my azerite armor and give up on the 30%xp? Needless to say at this point that I was also so dumb to upgrade my necklace
    Maybe have a set saved with full heirlooms and switch to that at least when you turn in quests, then switch to azerite gear when killing mobs. That if it makes any difference wearing azerite gear over regular when leveling, which I doubt it makes, so you may just ignore the azerite gear completely until max level.
    Warlock soloing https://www.youtube.com/user/Firedemon012 (old & abandoned)

Quote Originally Posted by Firedemon View Post
    Maybe have a set saved with full heirlooms and switch to that at least when you turn in quests, then switch to azerite gear when killing mobs. That if it makes any difference wearing azerite gear over regular when leveling, which I doubt it makes, so you may just ignore the azerite gear completely until max level.
    The fact you have to think of stuff like that is proof blizzard fucked up again and didn't think a concept through till the end

Keep the Heirloom on.

Azerite gear while leveling is mildly helpful at best unless it involves a very large ilvl upgrade. Even then, speeding through levels 30% faster (don't discount exp from killing mobs for the quests) is preferable. Consider that you'll need to kill 30% less things, in a way, but azerite won't help you kill 30% faster.

@120, everything gets replaced within 1-2hrs anyway.

30% xp wins over everything. besides its not that badly priced. 1 whole basic set of looms is like 8x5k + 7,5k = 47,5k multiply it x 4 (all kinds of armour ) and you end up with 190k which is a bit over 1 token in EU. seems ok to me.

heirlooms > azeritegear for lvling purposes. For end game well it is obvious!

Someone asked blizz about doing something to heirlooms since the gear in the 110-120 leveling has traits while the heirlooms dont. Blizz's response was either take the azerite gear for traits or looms for secondaries. ignoring the xp buff, i'd say personal preference as to which you use. azerite gear modifies your abilities, but using looms is less micromanaging since you arent swapping out azerite pieces every few quest rewards. i'd say since you already upgraded the looms, just stick with them.

I'v been leveling my warrior 110-120 with full looms and i still destroy everything.

why do you need az gear in the first place below 120?

10+ Year Old Account
    Azerite gear <120 is bad. Unless that item makes you do 10% more damage, it's not worth equipping, ever, and you'd still want to swap to hierlooms when handing in quests even if Azerite gear was a dps gain

The xp bonus from heirlooms outweigh any benefits from azerite traits or the raw item level that azerite gear starts at imo.

The faster you get the 120 the better as far as I am concerned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Feral Druid ist Op View Post
    why do you need az gear in the first place below 120?
    Because they are ilvl280 while the heirlooms start with ilvl170 at lvl110. You got ~200+ mainstat / azerite item you wear.
    Of course it's obvious that I stick to the heirlooms for the XP buff, but the damage at lvl110 is extremely underwhelming.
    I think it will get better at lvl111.

Quote Originally Posted by StayTuned View Post
    The fact you have to think of stuff like that is proof blizzard fucked up again and didn't think a concept through till the end
    In fact it was my intent to say what you just said by creating this thread

yeah ... i mean its obviously blizz fault. cant have ppl think for themselves ... or do some math ... or have some basic understanding of how stats work ...

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Heirlooms > Azerite Gear, then run dungeons.

Quote Originally Posted by lagiacrux View Post
    yeah ... i mean its obviously blizz fault. cant have ppl think for themselves ... or do some math ... or have some basic understanding of how stats work ...
    Fuck this, stop being an apologist for garbage level service design.

Their team wanted to give people heirlooms for 110-120, but then could not be assed to make basic azerite heirlooms. This is literally all that it boils down to.

The azerite items can't even slightly match up to the value of heirlooms. There is no reason whatsoever to equip one piece of azerite gear until you hit max level.

What I do is use Legion invasions to hit 111. At 111 heirlooms are 216. Sure they have less stats than the azerite pieces but the xp bonus is just too big an impact to me. The lower stats just doesn't seem to slow me down much so the xp bonus seems to be worthwhile imo.

Fuck this, stop being an apologist for garbage level service design.

Their team wanted to give people heirlooms for 110-120, but then could not be assed to make basic azerite heirlooms. This is literally all that it boils down to.
    there are several problems with producing heirloom pieces with azerite traits
    - which traits do you give them?
    - where do they come from? are they separate new pieces? do they take up space in the heirloom tab?
    - do your existing heirloom pieces morph into azerite pieces? do they have the tech for that?

those are just some of the considerations from the top of my head, but im sure there are others as well.
    im not arguing that blizz couldnt have made those considerations and came up with another solution, just that maybe its just not worth the effort.

Most of the Azerite gear I got while leveling was utter garbage so I'd take the 30% increase because I despise leveling in general and any way to make that faster and I am all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Firedemon View Post
    I just plan to wear full heirlooms all the way through, except for a Sephuz's Secret on every one of my alts with a 5% XP gem until level 116. Azerite gear isn't worth much beyond its itemlvl while leveling except for resounding protection, and I bought stacks of leather barding to avoid dismounts.

I upgraded 55% XP heirlooms plus weapons to 120 for cloth, leather, and mail (already have a paladin and DK at 120) and it cost me around 170k. No biggie.