Poll: Did you enjoy watching the movie CAPTAIN MARVEL™?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Well, Brie Larson isn't.

You've got to pretty egregiously misrepresent some things she said on her press tour to push that bullshit theory.

Edit: Before you come back, no, calling for more-representative diversity among movie reviewers and press is neither "racist" nor "sexist".
    I liked the movie but to pretend like what she said wasn’t racist or sexist is delusional.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account

Because they wanted that to matter, but I think it's more hilarious that it doesn't and Fury doesn't talk about it because it's embarrassing.
    It's funny... it's like a friend of mine. Done some dangerous, fun, adventuresome stuff (likes to hunt, shoot, did martial arts and trained with military guys, etc). The worst injury he suffered in his life? He stumbled backwards over a dog, fell on his head wrong and compacted his spine somehow. With everything he's done, you would think that other injuries would have been worse, but nope lol

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jshadowhunter View Post
    Another gripe is... does Captain Marvel have any actual weaknesses? Because couple that with people behind the movies saying "she's the ONLY ONE who can beat Thanos" is giving away red flags, especially with ending where she's singlehandedly tearing through the Kree ships.
    Well, in the comics, Rogue (mutant ala Xmen) sucked the powers out of her permanently, killing Captain Marvel (I don't think it was the Carol Danvers one, but I can't remember for sure).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulla View Post
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Quote Originally Posted by Knadra View Post
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.

Quote Originally Posted by Jotaux View Post
    I liked the movie but to pretend like what she said wasn’t racist or sexist is delusional.
    Really it's just a common trend now that folks can't seem to exalt and inspire one group without it being at the expense of another. She didn't mean "less men", she just meant "more women", but the phrasing just doesn't work the way she did it. It's the same with the general "this is a female superhero" stuff.

Kids movies/ shows are often made with stuff for adults to be entertained with because they'll be watching it alongside the children. No one should say "this show isn't meant for you, we don't care what your opinion is" about such things, because a broad appeal should be the goal. There is nothing in Captain Marvel that seems geared towards a female audience in any fashion, so just the idea of "representation" because the lead is female (especially with such a generic plot) doesn't make it a "female movie" for me, and all these people telling fans their opinion doesn't matter just seem to not get the point of inclusion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shaderas View Post
    Well, in the comics, Rogue (mutant ala Xmen) sucked the powers out of her permanently, killing Captain Marvel (I don't think it was the Carol Danvers one, but I can't remember for sure).
    Didn't kill her, just sucked out her mind along with her powers. Then Prof X put her mind back and I think later she got some other powers or something.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Rogue didn't kill her but put her in a coma. It was Carol Danvers and no one really cared because she was not an important character. I was honestly surprised they went with Captain Marvel as their flagship female character but as someone in my guild said to me "who else is there?" All the best ones are X-men characters or a variation of a male character (Captain Marvel gets a pass because who cares about Mar-vell). I actually think the MCU Captain Marvel is light years ahead of her comic counterpart in likeability.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Didn't kill her, just sucked out her mind along with her powers. Then Prof X put her mind back and I think later she got some other powers or something.
    Eh, I think I didn't keep reading comics back when Prof X put her mind back (for Captain Marvel). I just remember reading comics back in the late 80s (I think around then) and Rogue being one of the biggest badasses of the XMen at the time.. (flight, super strength, near invulnerability, ability to drain/mimic people's powers, etc).
    Senator Moore will be sitting in that seat and I hope it burns you to your core.
    Trump did it so it's good. I put my faith in a strong political figure because I lack self-esteem and feel threatened by a changing world. Whoever stands against him is bad because I do not understand their arguments and I have a simple tribalistic mindset created through the consumption of right-wing media.

It's funny... it's like a friend of mine. Done some dangerous, fun, adventuresome stuff (likes to hunt, shoot, did martial arts and trained with military guys, etc). The worst injury he suffered in his life? He stumbled backwards over a dog, fell on his head wrong and compacted his spine somehow. With everything he's done, you would think that other injuries would have been worse, but nope lol

- - - Updated - - -

Captain Marvel doesn't have particular weaknesses. She has her character flaws (alcoholism, etc). She has high limits to her powers but she tends to push those limits a lot so it will eventually drain her unless she can kinda 'recharge'. She has failed against brainwashing/mind control and magical energy.
    Just don't reply to me. Please. If you can help it.

Well, Brie Larson isn't.
    I'd love to see what the media had to say if she had said 'I don't care what a 40 year old black chick has to say about 'Mad Max: Fury Road' - because it wasn't made for her. I want to hear what white teenage boys and men have to say about it.'

I'm pretty sure she just put her foot in her mouth with that speech, but for a public figure that was an incredibly dumb thing to say. Neither your sex nor your race in any way impedes your ability to objectivly judge a movies strength or weakness. Do movies have a different cultural impact for certain groups? Sure. Does that make the movie in any way better or worse? No.

So, sorry. The way she says it is both sexist, ageist and racist. Inclusion by exclusion never works.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I mean, literally all we know is this one particular Skrull was a decent guy, and we can assume by extension his family, at the time of the film. There's thousands of Skrull out there, and plenty who weren't ever contacted by Mar-Vell let alone helped in any way, who'd have every reason to hate all Kree and no reason to think highly of humanity.
    Not to mention that he even admits during the movie that his hands were stained from war as well, implying that he's done some shitty stuff too (I can't remember his exact wording of this phrase)

I still don't get what her powers are and how can she even compare to Thanos and the gauntlet with all the stones.

As it is, in theory they stand no chance. Surely there's something other than the A team with Nebula, and CM now just flying to Thanos and beating him.

Unless he lets them win.

Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    I still don't get what her powers are and how can she even compare to Thanos and the gauntlet with all the stones.

As it is, in theory they stand no chance. Surely there's something other than the A team with Nebula, and CM now just flying to Thanos and beating him.

Unless he lets them win.
    In the comics, Thanos was at one point explained as someone who screws his own plans up on purpose but subconsciously.

Though personally I think that would be a really lame way to go.

Went yesterday and I say that is alright. Fury and that Skrull guy were pretty fun. Captain Marvel, for me at least was a mixed bag. When the situation is emotional it works pretty well, but on the rest, well I can't say she succeeds on everything she does, but she doesn't really fail either.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexeht View Post
    Yes it was, even on trailer they were making it cheap with promoting it with "HER" changing to "HERO" xD It is not my fault you cannot see clear sex baiting (just like many people couldn't see Jussie Smollett race baiting, basically wanting to make some race wars, just like antifa and BLM do).

This is what whole SJW movement is now about, they scream about sexism while blaming men for everyting, and saying that women are better in everyting (which is SEXIST).
    They didn't promote the movie as awesome only because it has a lead female hero in it. That is one of the many things about it that make it unique but certainly not the only thing. The changing of HER to HERO is called marketing - every single movie does it in different ways!

Then again, you have a stupid NPC as your avatar, I should not expect to have much of an intellectual conversation with that starting point..

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by fakaroonie View Post
    Cosmic powers, which mostly involve blasting cosmic energy. She can fly by blasting it behind her, she can infuse herself with it (Binary form, when she starts glowing), and then there's the beam blasts.

She compares with Thanos without the Gauntlet and Infinity Stones. With the Stones, Thanos is godlike. "Remake the universe with a thought" godlike. It isn't even close. Nobody has claimed that.

Unless he lets them win.
    The core of beating Thanos in the comics is that he never really wants to win. He knows what he's doing is terrible; he wants someone to be strong enough to show him that he's wrong.

As I said in an earlier post, I seriously doubt Endgame is going to resolve by punching Thanos harder. It's a stupid way to end this, and can't bring anyone back. It doesn't tie in with Strange's "there's only one way we win" line. Just because Captain Marvel will be in Endgame doesn't mean she's the key. If that argument is true, then Ant-man has just as much potential, and arguably more from how his last film ended.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sarnaxxx View Post
    They didn't promote the movie as awesome only because it has a lead female hero in it. That is one of the many things about it that make it unique but certainly not the only thing. The changing of HER to HERO is called marketing - every single movie does it in different ways!
    If it had been a dude, they could have used that exact same image, it just would have been "HE" turning into "HERO". Literally all that big in the marketing did was recognize that Carol Danvers is a girl. It didn't applaud it or brag about it, just recognized the fact that it was true.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-03-14 at 08:57 PM.

As others pointed out..not the case. She was still Ms. Marvel until Rogue held on too long and it screwed herself and Danvers over...mentally, and power-wise. (That was back in Avengers Annual #10)

Issue that Rogue gets help

Rogue slowly losing it; One

Rogue losing it, Two As Binary:

First appearance I believe, in XMen #164

2nd image describing her abilities somewhat

Binary seeing Rogue for the first time after that

And Rogue was way outclassed

Prof X referees a timeout

Binary bids adieu to the Xmen

If it had been a dude, they could have used that exact same image, it just would have been "HE" turning into "HERO". Literally all that big in the marketing did was recognize that Carol Danvers is a girl. It didn't applaud it or brag about it, just recognized the fact that it was true.
    And yet, in allllll these movies, they never DID have "HE" turn into "A HERO". Even though some of the others actually had more of a "becoming a hero" plot than Captain Marvel did. It never mattered before now.
    "I only feel two things Gary, nothing, and nothingness."

Well, the phrase was 'discover what makes her a hero.' That wouldn't work with a guy, because it would be 'him'. Of course, they could say 'why he is a hero', but even that would be weird to typeset.

And yet, they have never (as far as I remember, please, tell me if I'm wrong) made a big deal about either race or sex of the titular character. I don't remember corny lines about Black Panther being black. (Might have been due to the fact that I'm not in the US, of course.)

So, why now? Never befor has marketing recognized these details about their characters. At least not that I remember. Please, if I forgot anything, remind me.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2019-03-14 at 11:06 PM.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Gotta say I was really surprised by this film, I was expecting a Captain Marvel backstory to set up her involvement in Endgame. I wasn't expecting more Nick Fury screen time and character building than every previous Marvel film combined plus the introduction of my new favourite Marvel character (Goose).

This film delivered big time and is easily one of the 10 best Marvel films, possibly even one of the top 5 Avengers universe ones (I.E not including Deadpool, X-Men, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    And yet, in allllll these movies, they never DID have "HE" turn into "A HERO". Even though some of the others actually had more of a "becoming a hero" plot than Captain Marvel did. It never mattered before now.
    People have been making a big deal about the lack of a female lead in these movies basically since the ball got rolling. Why wouldn't they play it up a little in the marketing?

Quote Originally Posted by Skulltaker View Post
    I don't remember corny lines about Black Panther being black.
    His name is literally Black Panther. I mean I guess they could have turned it into some sort of parody, but I doubt that would have gone over very well. Turning "her" into "hero" is much simpler, and certainly a lot more tactful than they could have done with "black"...
    And if you think the race thing didn't contribute to that movie being the best performing comic book movie in the states to date...well...I'm not sure what to say about that.
    Last edited by s_bushido; 2019-03-14 at 11:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by tyrlaan View Post
    In the comics, Thanos was at one point explained as someone who screws his own plans up on purpose but subconsciously.

Though personally I think that would be a really lame way to go.
    I'm somewhat saddened that Adam Warlock won't show up to "stop" Thanos like in the comics. I get it, he's a bit less marketable. But he still played a big part in the Infinity Stones stuff, as well as afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by s_bushido View Post
    His name is literally Black Panther. I mean I guess they could have turned it into some sort of parody, but I doubt that would have gone over very well. Turning "her" into "hero" is much simpler, and certainly a lot more tactful than they could have done with "black"...
    And if you think the race thing didn't contribute to that movie being the best performing comic book movie in the states to date...well...I'm not sure what to say about that.
    But hasn't the characters name always been Black Panther? And the images, the character, they speak for themselves. No subtitles needed. With Captain Marvel, however, they chose a different approach. I mean... it is as obvious she's a 'her' as it is that black panther is 'black'. So, why the hit on the nose with the corny text?

Never said that black panthers identity didn't contribute to its succes in the states, btw. I've always said 'it is difficult for me to judge because, coming from Germany, I lack the cultural insight.' I still think it's one of the better Marvel Origin Stories, but an overrated one. I'd put it en par with Dr. Strange, but I'm a Cumberbatch fan, so I admit my view on that might me skewerd. Also, for me, wizard-type beats brawler-type in terms of interesting.

But here's a big difference to Black Panther. While BP wasn't the first black superhero, these have been relativly scarce in the past. Not with this kind of budget, for sure. I can only think of Blade and, maybe, Shaft. Not a superhero, but damn, what a cool movie that was.

Captain Marvel, on the other hand, does nothing outstanding whatsoever, nor anything that hasn't been done several times befor, and yet, a great number of (US based) news outlets celebrate the movie as a big step forward for women in film. And I ask myself 'why?' Now I'm not saying that trolls haven't tried to smear the movies name in advance, interpret stuff into it that simply wasn't there, but in regards of cultural impact or progression I don't see this movie coming anywhere near Black Panther.
    Last edited by Skulltaker; 2019-03-14 at 11:40 PM.