Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Well as I said you’re welcome to practice whatever lunacy concerning rats and mice you like. I’ll just be glad not to be your neighbor.
    Saying that it ain't right in the head to torture a rodent isn't "lunacy". It's the default behavior I'd expect from a civilized, sane human being.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    The threads you make are often best answered with, "Why are you the way you are?" Or maybe, "Do you think your parents/teachers should be held criminally responsible for your education?"

Other answer: They don't get a free pass. The same people who hate seaworld hate rodeos more. The reason seaworld gets more attention is that more people disagree with those people about seaworld than disagree with them about rodeos.
    My god...

Do you need me to send some money over your way to help with the surgery costs? You know, to remove that stick out of your arse.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidelstein View Post
    Saying that it ain't right in the head to torture a rodent isn't "lunacy". It's the default behavior I'd expect from a civilized, sane human being.
    Nothing sane about putting undue burdens on human beings defending their own habitat the way they see fit from diseases carrying rodents that if left unchecked destroy more than their home.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Nothing sane about putting undue burdens on human beings defending their own habitat the way they see fit from diseases carrying rodents that if left unchecked destroy more than their home.
    What undue burden? Do you think it's a burden to put an animal that small down with a shovel? It's better than torturing it, which would technically be more burdensome because it's a pointless and inefficient task. The latter isn't "defending" shit. "Unchecked" blah blah, you'd have a point if anyone actually said that, so shut the fuck up.

What about horses, Rodeos are dicks to horses too. And horses seem to be well liked.
    Rodeos aren't dicks to horse. Standard rodeos are going to be barrel races. If you think rodeos are bad for the horse than so is that rich person horse sport where they make them dance.
    VOTING IS MOB RULE AND MOB RULE IS MEDIA RULE AND
    MEDIA RULE IS CORPORATE RULE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heidelstein View Post
    What undue burden? Do you think it's a burden to put an animal that small down with a shovel? It's better than torturing it, which would technically be more burdensome because it's a pointless and inefficient task. The latter isn't "defending" shit. "Unchecked" blah blah, you'd have a point if anyone actually said that, so shut the fuck up.
    You can shut up at this point you’re the one that started replying to me with your bullshit. So you have the power to shut up yourself and stop trying to win an argument you’ve already lost.

I’m fine with killing mice and rats that invade someone’s home period were done.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Not anthropomorphizing. Just being specific as to what is in the nature of the subjects I’m discussing. What you’re suggesting has nothing to do with with that.

The rest doesn’t even have kernel of truth regarding brains size or anything related. All animals have nature including humans and defense if immediate habitat is a shared one.
    I think you're conflating self-defense with territoriality. Most mammals have a desire of self-preservation and have developed different evolutionary tactics of avoiding death or the perception of it. Only a minority of animals are territorial:
    Territoriality is only shown by a minority of species. More commonly, an individual or a group of animals has an area that it habitually uses but does not necessarily defend; this is called the home range. The home ranges of different groups of animals often overlap, or in the overlap areas, the groups tend to avoid each other rather than seeking to expel each other. Within the home range there may be a core area that no other individual group uses, but, again, this is as a result of avoidance.
    Wildebeest, plains zebra and cape buffaloes aren't fighting it out in the Serengeti, but animals like lions and hyenas are. Why? Because the ways they extrapolate resources are fundamentally different and require different evolutionary adaptations. There is no reason to fight over grass, but meat on the other hand is harder to come by and it's generally a good idea to carve out a little area for yourself that will ensure you and your offspring have food and anything else you need to survive.

Generally speaking, most social predators and even more solitary ones like tigers and foxes are smarter than the prey they hunt. They have to be, hunting is not an easy task and most hunts inevitably end up in failure. The need for intelligence becomes more complex the more social a species is as animals like wolves, humans and orcas also have to communicate to work in a coherent group with a handful of strategies (yes, animals strategize) to outmaneuver their prey.

We have sayings like "smart as a fox" and "dumb bunny" for a reason. Nobody wants their intelligence compared to a deer or a cow.
    Last edited by Techno-Druid; 2019-03-24 at 12:01 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    Rodeos are enjoyed by people, but the people that tend to go to rodeos are viewed as right leaning idiots by the organizations like PETA. Therefor they likely feel that it is a losing fight.

Sea World gets a lot of crap and honestly, I hate how their decisions have been basically politicized. The purpose of places like Sea World and zoos is to keep these animals in front of people ... if you never see a tiger, would you necessarily give a crap about tigers? No, by demonizing Sea World and zoos we are actually going to cause more harm to these animals than good. Out of sight, out of mind.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    Rodeos are enjoyed by people, but the people that tend to go to rodeos are viewed as right leaning idiots by the organizations like PETA. Therefor they likely feel that it is a losing fight.

Sea World gets a lot of crap and honestly, I hate how their decisions have been basically politicized. The purpose of places like Sea World and zoos is to keep these animals in front of people ... if you never see a tiger, would you necessarily give a crap about tigers? No, by demonizing Sea World and zoos we are actually going to cause more harm to these animals than good. Out of sight, out of mind.
    That may have been the case in a time without relatively easy access to documentaries and videos that show animals in their natural environment, but that's not much of a case anymore, especially when species like orcas and elephants live objectively worse lives in captivity than they do in the wild, where they are not sedentary and live lifespans comparable to humans (shortened to a few decades at best in captivity).

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by CrittenMitten View Post
    Mutilating (clipping ears and tails) dogs and cats so they ""look better"" to some current though abhorrent human social standards.
    Dont't forget declawing... disgusting

Quote Originally Posted by Axxil View Post
    Rodeos aren't dicks to horse. Standard rodeos are going to be barrel races. If you think rodeos are bad for the horse than so is that rich person horse sport where they make them dance.
    Do you know why the horses at rodeos jump like crazy? It's not because they like to jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    My god...

Do you need me to send some money over your way to help with the surgery costs? You know, to remove that stick out of your arse.
    Let me know when you get tired of the idiocy of mallcops threads. They're as bad as tennisball's were and they got permanently banned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudol Von Stroheim View Post
    I do not need to play the role of "holier than thou". I'm above that..

Quote Originally Posted by clinophobia View Post
    Do you know why the horses at rodeos jump like crazy? It's not because they like to jump.
    You mean bucking competitions similar to riding a bull? Yea, they're horse that haven't been broken.
    VOTING IS MOB RULE AND MOB RULE IS MEDIA RULE AND
    MEDIA RULE IS CORPORATE RULE

Both suck. Only major difference I see is one (sea world) takes and abuses animals from the wild that are also considered mildly to very intelligent creatures for more or less entertainment slavery. The other (rodeo) breeds and domesticates rather unintelligent creatures from birth, uses them for a short while, and then breeds them out again at the end of their lives. While the different isn't that big I think humans are just more accustom to seeing horses, cows, and things like that being used as tools because they have been for most of our civilizations time period. Whereas whales, dolphins, and other creatures like that really have not. Hunted and such? Sure. But not used as tools (no whales pulling boats around the ocean type shit for example). Does it make it right? No, but that cow will either be bucking someone off its back or in a hamburger.

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    Let me know when you get tired of the idiocy of mallcops threads. They're as bad as tennisball's were and they got permanently banned.
    Guess it was closer to a branch than a stick

Because the point of rodeo is watching the rider get stomped by the animal he's trying to ride. Hopefully.

Isn't it?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    That may have been the case in a time without relatively easy access to documentaries and videos that show animals in their natural environment, but that's not much of a case anymore, especially when species like orcas and elephants live objectively worse lives in captivity than they do in the wild, where they are not sedentary and live lifespans comparable to humans (shortened to a few decades at best in captivity).
    You have far too much faith in people in my view.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

Quote Originally Posted by Darththeo View Post
    You have far too much faith in people in my view.
    The world is definitely not as gloomy as it seems. We as a species have never had a higher standard of living and generally the world is a lot less violent nowadays than it was a century ago.

More now, we're starting to become increasingly empathetic as a species. I know this sounds ridiculous but I can almost see some animal rights activists as precursors to a movement that will inevitably extend protections towards many animals (similar to how early abolitionists and suffragists set the stage for greater civil rights movements). I think we will gradually grow greater empathy as we have greater access to information and have to worry less about basic survival needs.

Just a hunch though, I could just be crazy

It has to do with how poorly dolphins and orcas do in enclosed habitats at zoos and places like SeaWorld.

We overlook a lot of things.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Techno-Druid View Post
    The world is definitely not as gloomy as it seems. We as a species have never had a higher standard of living and generally the world is a lot less violent nowadays than it was a century ago.

More now, we're starting to become increasingly empathetic as a species. I know this sounds ridiculous but I can almost see some animal rights activists as precursors to a movement that will inevitably extend protections towards many animals (similar to how early abolitionists and suffragists set the stage for greater civil rights movements). I think we will gradually grow greater empathy as we have greater access to information and have to worry less about basic survival needs.

Just a hunch though, I could just be crazy
    Not from what I see ... but you are welcome to your view.
    –The Sith Code

Are rodeos even a thing anymore?