View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by zealo View Post
    The roundabout had more than 2 exits, because "leave the European Union" is incredibly vague about what that actually means about the future relationship between Britain and the EU
    Can't we just rename the European Union the Europeen Union and then we can argue that we honored the ballot by leaving the European Union.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Also on the worst "PM since" debate. Cameron is worse than May, and I think we're past comparisons to Eden, or even Neville Chamberlain. We're at Lord North levels here.
    I don't agree that Cameron is worse than May.

It's absolutely true to say he made a catastrophic error of judgement in reading the national mood. As a result, he was overconfident and didn't set the referendum up properly. It was an enormous error and certainly something he deserves significant criticism for. Outside of this, however, Cameron was at least acceptably competent (whether or not you agreed with his policies is another matter).

May is absolutely useless. Triggered A50 with no plan, ruled out options arbitrarily, isolated other parties during negotiations, botched negotiations completely, utterly failed at building any kind of consensus and refuses to see any way but hers as an options. She's a horrendous leader, and possibly the worst PM we've had in history. Brexit is the largest challenge of modern UK history; May is so far below the required standard that it would be funny if it wasn't so serious.

Cameron certainly won't go down as one of the greats, but his enormous mistake is a far cry from the absolute incompetence of his successor.

10+ Year Old Account
    What puts Cameron worse than May for me is that he fled his responsibility, there is nothing more unforgivable in my eyes than dereliction of duty. Had he the backbone to deal with the situation he created, May wouldn't get the chance to fuck it all up.

Motions accepted by the Speaker are the ones from Corbyn, Letwin and Beckett.

I expect Corbyn (which if I'm not mistaken will render Letwin irrelevant) and Beckett to both pass. The PM has stated she will whip against Letwin.

I expect Corbyn (which if I'm not mistaken will render Letwin irrelevant) and Beckett to both pass
    No - Corbyn's amendment calls on the Government to do something (which they may choose to ignore) at some point this week (timetable is up to the Government). Letwin's amendment takes it out of the Government's hands completely and allocates specific time on Wednesday where MPs can decide for themselves what they discuss.

The Letwin amendment is basically a much more thorough and useful version of the Corbyn amendment, one does not rule the other out.
    Last edited by Dizzeeyooo; 2019-03-25 at 06:35 PM.

What puts Cameron worse than May for me is that he fled his responsibility, there is nothing more unforgivable in my eyes than dereliction of duty. Had he the backbone to deal with the situation he created, May wouldn't get the chance to fuck it all up.
    It's like that ethics trolley problem - Cameron has set the trolley down the track towards the 5 people tied to the line, May has her hand on the lever to switch the trolley over to a lane with only one person tied to the line but through selfish incompetence manages to jigger it onto a previously unseen track with 10 people on the line. Even so I personally would still blame Cameron more for loosing the trolley in the first place; but it makes sense that others would see the terribad handling of the switch as being more responsible for the outcome.

Sorry I'll stop making bad offtopic analogies I have waay too much time on my hands right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    No - Corbyn's amendment calls on the Government to do something (which they may choose to ignore) at some point this week (timetable is up to the Government). Letwin's amendment takes it out of the Government's hands completely and allocates specific time on Wednesday where MPs can decide for themselves what they discuss.

The Letwin amendment is basically a much more thorough and useful version of the Corbyn amendment, one does not rule the other out.
    Aha, good to know. I assumed one would supercede the other due to their similarity. This explains Keir Starmer's statement that both amendments will have Labour support.

Also Aeneas's analogy sums up my rationale for Cameron being the worst of him and May.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Norway isn't a compromise, it's fulfilling the referendum by Leaving the European Union. According to you there are no degrees of leaving that should be discussed - Leave means Leave so why noy Leave the EU and join the EEA? Didn't 17 million people vote for that?
    Sure, after we leave the EU and have honoured the referendum then have a vote on joining the EEA. Not before we have left.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by walthplathar View Post
    If someone had told me Brexit would kill off the cancer of British imperialism
    Brexit is harking back to and celebrating the UK's imperialist past, not killing it off.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Sure, after we leave the EU and have honoured the referendum then have a vote on joining the EEA. Not before we have left.
    No we already had the vote - joining the EEA is leaving the EU. One exit on the roundabout according to you. Leaving the EU to joint the EEA honours the referendum because it only asked about leaving, nothing on it mentions where we should go next.

Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Brexit is harking back to and celebrating the UK's imperialist past, not killing it off.
    Feels more like a pissing contest between eunuchs to me ... :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Norway already said "hell no" to you joining them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LeGin Tufnel View Post
    Haha, we look like a bunch of chumps.

So it's looking like none of the amendments will pass tonight and if they do then they will be ignored anyway. Be prepared to give a rousing round of applause to our Parliamentarians later this evening. Stirling work as always.

Quote Originally Posted by Kronik85 View Post
    So it's looking like none of the amendments will pass tonight and if they do then they will be ignored anyway. Be prepared to give a rousing round of applause to our Parliamentarians later this evening. Stirling work as always.
    I guess the EU anticipated such professionalism and constructive stance seeing their press release this morning.
    http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-19-1813_en.htm

10+ Year Old Account
    Amendment A is passable, depends on how many Conservatives defy the whip.

Amendment A is passable, depends on how many Conservatives defy the whip.
    Which one is A tonight? Not been able to find the BBC atm, just who's submitting them and what they contain.

/edit: Since Letwin's is first up, I guess it's A?

10+ Year Old Account
    Amendment D withdrawn by the leader of the opposition, they're supporting amendment A which got a rather resounding aye vs a weaker no in division. Voting underway.

Business Minister Richard Harrington has resigned from the government in order to support the Letwin Amendment

10+ Year Old Account
    Which one is A tonight? Not been able to find the BBC atm, just who's submitting them and what they contain.
    Amendment A is Letwin's cross party amendment which takes the order paper off the Government. D was Corbyn's, the other is Beckett's that instructs the Government to seek further extension if we run out of time.. again.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dizzeeyooo View Post
    Business Minister Richard Harrington has resigned from the government in order to support the Letwin Amendment.
    Oh shit, that didnt take long. Expecting a few Conservatives to defy the whip on this.

Oh shit, that didnt take long. Expecting a few Conservatives to defy the whip on this.
    Fingers crossed it passes with this + Labour also supporting.

10+ Year Old Account

Absolute state of the BBC, covering for a group of ministers naming themselves after the leaders of the fucking kkk