View Poll Results: 10 days left, what'll it be?

Voters
92. This poll is closed
  • Hard Brexit (crash out)

45 48.91%
  • No Brexit (Remain by revoking A50)

24 26.09%
  • Withdrawal Agreement (after a new session is called)

0 0%
  • Extension + Withdrawal Agreement

3 3.26%
  • Extension + Crashout

9 9.78%
  • Extension + Remain

11 11.96%
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Heard the speech by May in the HoC briefly. The extension was a mistake. I said it before, I'll say it again: The UK should leave tomorrow. On the UK side, there is no realisation of what's going on. They continue to believe they can somehow alter the conditions, adjust the withdrawal agreement, negotiate among themselves. I wonder what they're negotiating about? There is nothing left to negotiate. They either accept the deal, or they don't.

It is beyond me how blind they are. I'm using blind because words cannot describe the utter disgust at the level of actual, clinical stupidity going on in that house. They are modern age Schildbürger.

For the British, Schildbürger are a mythical citizen of a town called Schildau, known for various things like, e.g., building a town hall without windows. And then trying to carry light into the town hall with buckets. Yes, that's the level of stupidity in the House of Commons.
    In 6 months they're going to be no closer and in the closing 2 weeks frantically trying to find a compromise.

They are going to piss the next 6 months away on posturing.

May because she wants to hold together her fracturing party that she loves so much.
    The ERG because they want what nobody else does.
    Labour because Jeremy Corbyn wants a General Election ever 18 months until he becomes PM, even though that could work against Labour's numbers.
    Commons as a whole because they're no closer to a consensus as the indicative votes showed. Nobody can command any kind of majority.

I'll say it again, the only serious people in the room seem to be the SNP.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Goblin View Post
    Unsurprising, both of the main parties were fucking woeful in the campaign.
    Corbyn, in particular, struck a chord with youth voters (who can forget the Glastonbury crowd chanting "Oh Jeremy Corbyn"?) yet this was not converted into a meaningful increase in turnout for the youth demographics. There is little to suggest that the trend of younger voters not voting would be reversed if another ref. was held.

Oh look, a proper grown-up set of politicians handle an issue with a referendum in a sensible way. I wonder if there is a lesson to be learned there, for anyone.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...oorly-informed
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

I am Murloc!
    7+ Year Old Account
    HoC is in Easter Recess now, another follows in summer. less than 6 months to get their stuff together.

Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    For the British, Schildbürger are a mythical citizen of a town called Schildau, known for various things like, e.g., building a town hall without windows. And then trying to carry light into the town hall with buckets. Yes, that's the level of stupidity in the House of Commons.
    Sorry to correct you but Schildau was the town the author of the latest version was born in, the town where "Schildbürger" supposedly come from is called "Schilda"* (in older versions it was called "Lalenburg").
    The English equivalent of this are the Wise Men of Gotham.

What both have in commone with each other but not with the House of Commons: The idiocy is a ruse that only later becomes habit.

*coincidence, I'm sure.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Huehuecoyotl View Post
    Oh look, a proper grown-up set of politicians handle an issue with a referendum in a sensible way. I wonder if there is a lesson to be learned there, for anyone.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...oorly-informed
    Rubbish example as per usual. Switzerland have referendums every 5 minutes in comparison to the UK, they are bound to get the odd one wrong legally. The once in a generation UK Brexit referendum was legally sound and no court challenge alleging otherwise would be successful.

That is why you haven't and won't see one.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Getting fined for over spending is an interesting use of "legally sound" or did that not actually happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Merkel had longer consecutive term though, and was head of CDU for about same time as Putin.

Clearly that means no democracy in Germany. /s
    Elections in Germany are conducted in a far more legitimate and fair manner than they are in Russia, along with the press actually being free.

Maybe Russia should try that if Russia wants to be considered democratic.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Rubbish example as per usual. Switzerland have referendums every 5 minutes in comparison to the UK, they are bound to get the odd one wrong legally. The once in a generation UK Brexit referendum was legally sound and no court challenge alleging otherwise would be successful.

That is why you haven't and won't see one.
    Didn't the Leave campaign admit to campaign financing law violations in court a couple of weeks ago?

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Getting fined for over spending is an interesting use of "legally sound" or did that not actually happen?
    You mean the overspending that the remain side carried out by spending millions sending every household in the UK a glossy brochure?

https://assets.publishing.service.go...for-the-uk.pdf

That one there? I agree despicable, if only the leave side had equal resources, who knows how wide the gap between leave and remain would have been.
    13/11/2022 Sir Keir Starmer. "Brexit is safe in my hands, Let me be really clear about Brexit. There is no case for going back into the EU and no case for going into the single market or customs union. Freedom of movement is over"

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    I was thinking it was more that there are a LOT more over 60s than there are 16-18 year olds, or rather people who were under 18 last referrendum who are now 18. I could be wrong of course, but it would take a lot of older people deciding not to vote before that bracket of 2ish years is bigger than the entirety of the over 60s population.
    The growing elderly population is a problem in that regard. My worry is even if the numbers were there, apathy would take over. I am not sure of the % of younger voters who took part in 2016, I seem to remember Sky News citing a figure of around 34% turnout, and that certainly didn't appear to be challenged at the time, but I fully accept that this could be way off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

You mean the overspending that the remain side carried out by spending millions sending every household in the UK a glossy brochure?

https://assets.publishing.service.go...for-the-uk.pdf

That one there? I agree despicable, if only the leave side had equal resources, who knows how wide the gap between leave and remain would have been.
    The government was required by the law that enabled the referendum in the first place to publish that brochure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    great, now we're stuck with those monkeys who can't come to any agreement at all, sigh.
    As if they are going to get anything done in the new extension they've got, and then the EU is going to give then ANOTHER extension.

APSDIOFOHOp'weigfghbp'¨WIEGHB¨'PIwerhbgpo'ïWEAEGBEH'POÏAEDSDFBG uuuuuuurgh =A=
    I HIGHLY doubt the EU will give another extension, if nothing happens in the coming 6 months France will have a rock solid case to not extend and I'm pretty sure they will be able to convince other countries to their point of view. We'll see of course, but the EU knows this situation cannot continue indefinitely.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler to Baby Sloths View Post
    The government was required by the law that enabled the referendum in the first place to publish that brochure.
    And you think that was fair that the remain positioned government with all its lies, money, no - my tax money, and machinery behind it campaigned for leave without giving equal succour and resource to the leave side? and then has the cheek to accuse the leave side of illegal spending? more Nonsense.

10+ Year Old Account
    And you think that was fair that the remain positioned government with all its lies, money, no - my tax money, and machinery behind it campaigned for leave without giving equal succour and resource to the leave side? and then has the cheek to accuse the leave side of illegal spending? more Nonsense.

Guess you're stuck in the EU for another six months, bub.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Guess you're stuck in the EU for another six months, bub.
    But it was no-deal by default, it can't be another six months!
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

They accused Leave of spending dirty money, and were proven correct, and Leave accepted their guilt. Your point about fairness was what, again?

As usual, reality has to intrude into planet dribbles. The Remain side were fined for some minor issues, certainly. But Leave were fined for a whole raft of issues with the setup of their campaign, the spending and so on. And if the referendum had been legally binding, it would have faced a challenge to its legality that would almost certainly have found it overturned. It was only the fact (I'll explain that word to you if you want, you don't seem to understand what it means) that it wasn't binding that meant it couldn't be challenged legally.

It's an interesting turn from you though. Now that you know you've lost, you are starting to whine like a child that the whole thing isn't fair. The very thing you were lambasting about Remain voters, and now the boots on the other foot that's your go-to move. I'm not sure what stage of grief you are on now, but it does feel close to the end. So chin up.
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
    But it was no-deal by default, it can't be another six months!
    He might actually have an aneurysm if Article 50 gets withdrawn.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Pro-Brexit facts... Biggest example of an Oxymoron I have seen this past decade.