Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have now seen people outraged that men were being given more credit than her for the black hole picture when she should have been given the most, to now people being outraged that she is being given too much credit over everyone else who was involved. Oh what a topsy turvy world.
    give up dat booty
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendra View Post
    <3
    For the matriarchy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I think its cool that a woman created the program/algorithm, etc, to combine the data to create the image of the black hole. I am not sure why thats so surprising, or why people are freaking out about it...

Historically women have actually been the first to find a lot of different astronomical things:

Star-Gazing Women Made Trail-Blazing Discoveries
    https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ars-astronomy/

Annie Jump Cannon created a stellar classification system, the Henry Draper Catalogue, that is still being used today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    I think the issue people are taking offence with is that she only wrote 50,000 lines of code not the rest of the 850,000 and you have to really search for the guy's name who did that...

I think people are just tired of people being prompted up who while they helped were not the driving force behind it.
    To be fair, the 50k lines of code she wrote includes the algorithm that made visualizing the black hole possible to begin with. No small feat and I imagine she's getting exactly the credit she deserves, although I agree that all the names associated with the project should be written in the metaphorical stars.
    @Connal There's actually a long-standing issue with womens' achievements in science and mathematics being overlooked in favor of their male peers, many of whom either helped them with their discovery or concurrently arrived at the same conclusion. While their male peers' accolades are by no means undeserved (second place or tied for first is by no means small potatoes in bleeding-edge research), this instance seems to be a conscious effort to avoid Ms. Bouman's name being lost to history like Ms. Katherine Johnson's was (if temporarily) before being brought back into public awareness by 2016's Hidden Figures.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

15+ Year Old Account
    For whatever reason you decided to give this any attention at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Paraka View Post
    She created the algorithm, which serves as the catalyst to launch this discovery. For that, she gets the credit she deserves. I don't think many are placating that bit.

What the hell is "MR. OBVIOUS" youtuber is attempting to scale here is a different story? Since I won't bother with watching it (feels like it'd be a stretched truth video), I can only imagine what he is allocating to the credence of finding this discovery.
    They didn't use her algorithm. She didn't create anything they used and she only wrote 1600 of the 800k or so lines of code.

This isn't a conspiracy theory, this isn't a sexist rant. It's common fucking sense and it took a team many people and dozens of research facilities contributed. Jesus christ, I hate the race to see what genitals a person has between their legs instead of the magnificent discovery that was made.

Quote Originally Posted by Zan15 View Post

Media has always picked one that would sell the most
    While this is true, its getting far worse. Now, they wont even run a story unless it hits one of their bullet points. People are just getting tired of it and calling it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by scorpious1109 View Post
    Why the hell would you wait till after you did this to confirm the mortality rate of such action?

Broad stroke on my part, but my understanding was her coding was the catalyst that helped make this happen. That not true?
    No, It was supposedly her algorithm but they didn't end up using it anyways. It was a big team effort and they used four other ones I believe.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    They didn't use her algorithm. She didn't create anything they used and she only wrote 1600 of the 800k or so lines of code.

This isn't a conspiracy theory, this isn't a sexist rant. It's common fucking sense and it took a team many people and dozens of research facilities contributed. Jesus christ, I hate the race to see what genitals a person has between their legs instead of the magnificent discovery that was made.
    https://twitter.com/thisgreyspirit/s...19313488470017

(Also I did not write "850,000 lines of code" -- many of those "lines" tracked by github are in model files. There are about 68,000 lines in the current software, and I don't care how many of those I personally authored)
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

She created the algorithm, which serves as the catalyst to launch this discovery. For that, she gets the credit she deserves. I don't think many are placating that bit.

What the hell is "MR. OBVIOUS" youtuber is attempting to scale here is a different story? Since I won't bother with watching it (feels like it'd be a stretched truth video), I can only imagine what he is allocating to the credence of finding this discovery.
    Did she? Or was she part of a team that created the algorithm?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thage View Post
    To be fair, the 50k lines of code she wrote includes the algorithm that made visualizing the black hole possible to begin with. No small feat and I imagine she's getting exactly the credit she deserves, although I agree that all the names associated with the project should be written in the metaphorical stars.
    @Connal There's actually a long-standing issue with womens' achievements in science and mathematics being overlooked in favor of their male peers, many of whom either helped them with their discovery or concurrently arrived at the same conclusion. While their male peers' accolades are by no means undeserved (second place or tied for first is by no means small potatoes in bleeding-edge research), this instance seems to be a conscious effort to avoid Ms. Bouman's name being lost to history like Ms. Katherine Johnson's was (if temporarily) before being brought back into public awareness by 2016's Hidden Figures.
    Tons of men get screwed out of credit for scientific discoveries as well

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Varitok View Post
    Everything you just said is a lie. Literally everything.

She wrote one of the algorithms they used.
    She was also one of the leads of the entire project, which is what she's getting the accolades for in the first place.
    And there were not "800k or so lines of code". That's a bullshit number that cranks made up; it has no basis in truth.

As for the fact that this was a collaborative effort? Everyone knows that, everyone is reporting that. That isn't something you're "correcting", at all.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science...ped-us-see-one

The skinny;
    She was leading the team.
    The team split into 4 groups, which each tried to develop a different imaging algorithm. All of these were used in the cross-comparison, because when they all produce a similar image, that mutually corroborates each method and the overall result.
    Three of those final results were averaged out and blended to create the final image. I haven't seen anything stating which three, and regardless, it wouldn't matter, since all of them were heavily used in the testing process; none of them were "wrong".

Trying to diminish Dr. Bouman's contributions to this achievement is sexist bullshittery.
    Last edited by Endus; 2019-04-13 at 02:04 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    The only time I saw any thing disparaging about her at all was when news outlet stories told me so. Otherwise everything on my IG and Facebook feeds have been 100% positive reactions towards her. Sounds like shitty outrage news trying to get clicks. Stop giving coverage to the 5% of the trolls that shit on anything and everything.

Quick! Take a wild guess who made this thread and what talking points they will spew for thousandth time....

Can we be honest here? the memes it birthed were better than the blurry ass picture they created.

For the record, I saw a reddit post of either a tweet or Facebook post that was circulating that essentially said “meet the woman solely responsible for the first image of a black hole” which is obviously not true. The backlash to that has now swung the other way and beyond just correcting that narrative. Reading responses from people directly involved, there was several teams involved and Dr. Bouman was a big part of one of those teams. She deserves credit, though not all the credit.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Quick! Take a wild guess who made this thread and what talking points they will spew for thousandth time....

Can we be honest here? the memes it birthed were better than the blurry ass picture they created.

For the record, I saw a reddit post of either a tweet or Facebook post that was circulating that essentially said “meet the woman solely responsible for the first image of a black hole” which is obviously not true. The backlash to that has now swung the other way and beyond just correcting that narrative. Reading responses from people directly involved, there was several teams involved and Dr. Bouman was a big part of one of those teams. She deserves credit, though not all the credit.
    Then take it up with whoever wrote that tweet or made that image.

It wasn't how any major sites were reporting this.

"I totally saw a random thing one time even though I can't source it now" is not a convincing argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    Lewds. Lots and lots of lewds.
    Yupp. Gawd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shalcker View Post
    Posting here is primarily a way to strengthen your own viewpoint against common counter-arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    Yupp. Gawd.
    The internet is such a magical place.

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Then take it up with whoever wrote that tweet or made that image.

It wasn't how any major sites were reporting this.

"I totally saw a random thing one time even though I can't source it now" is not a convincing argument.
    I’m not making an argument , you unrelenting douche. And I can source the reddit post that was circulating but why do so when
    1) a cursory google search will lead you to it
    2) In your own words you don’t think reddit/Facebook/Twitter are major sites... clearly not some of the biggest sites in the world.
    3) I’m not the one creating the backlash to the post

Jackasses are overreacting to jackasses - par for the internet course. Admittedly I’m guilty of it in this very post. So to save us both some time, I won’t bother to read or respond to you further, so save your response.

Now go run to the mods for my infraction.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

It was about what I expected that you really could not see it but just see the stuff spiraling around it.

Quote Originally Posted by Video Games View Post
    For whatever reason you decided to give this any attention at all.
    Offtopic but where is your avatar from?
    Violence Jack Respects Women!

For the record, guess what a charming fellow venerated by the usual suspects, Roosh V (all the usual idiocies-MAGArat, PUAsow, MRAvermin, GGroach) said about it ?

It's all a KONSPIRACY. Kauze Roosh is to woke and too smart for fall into for SJW trap, and thinks the Moon Landings are an hoax too. All his submissive fanboys are of course oinking their approval of him over this, to prove how tough and manly they are.

https://www.cracked.com/article_2631...cy-theory.html

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    For the record, guess what a charming fellow venerated by the usual suspects, Roosh V (all the usual idiocies-MAGArat, PUAsow, MRAvermin, GGroach) said about it ?

It's all a KONSPIRACY. Kauze Roosh is to woke and too smart for fall into for SJW trap, and thinks the Moon Landings are an hoax too. All his submissive fanboys are of course oinking their approval of him over this, to prove how tough and manly they are.

https://www.cracked.com/article_2631...cy-theory.html
    Sad, I was hoping, he would stick with his bread sience, and shuts up.