Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex86el View Post
    enough cheesiness.

we got ass-pulled void-lels.
    now people wanna look like a walking blacklight?
    no thanks.

not to mention Light-boi who is the leader of a bunch of Draenei.
    Is there any legit reason about calling Void Elfs an asspull besides typical Blood Elfs and High Elf fanboys simply being salty?

The amount of lore they've got is decent enough and definitely plausible, at least there's enough justification for their existence (considering how there are like a billion of elf types, because they get easily changed/corrupted by all types of powers). They have more lore than what the Tauren or even Gnomes had initially.

I always thought that the reasoning of the Nightborne for joining the Horde was more like an asspull story.

Or do you call them an asspull just because Blizzard did some fan service? Well then by that logic the Blood Elfs are also an asspull, because blizzard literally added them as a Horde race, because some chinese fans that play horde asked for it.
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2019-04-13 at 02:56 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertMugabe View Post
    Is there any legit reason about calling Void Elfs an asspull besides typical Blood Elfs and High Elf fanboys simply being salty?

The amount of lore they've got is decent enough and definitely plausible, at least there's enough justification for their existence (considering how there are like a billion of elf types, because they get easily changed/corrupted by all types of powers). They have more lore than what the Tauren or even Gnomes had initially.

I always thought that the reasoning of the Nightborne for joining the Horde was more like an asspull story.

Or do you call them an asspull just because Blizzard did some fan service? Well then by that logic the Blood Elfs are also an asspull, because blizzard literally added them as a Horde race, because some chinese fans that play horde asked for it.
    They're called an asspull because they were basically made up just for the reason of giving blood elf models to alliance..

Yeah I don't really get why either

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dark View Post
    Am I the only one who pefers void elves to high elves? They are dark, cool and sexy. They command and are able to resist one of the strongest forces in the universe. Their racials are great. They will look even better when we will be able to transmog almost everything off. High Elves belong in the past for the Alliance. We get to play two dark elf races, one wild and one with a dark vibe and some people are still not happy? It's a matter of opinion I guess and mine doesn't matter more than anyone else's, and all my characters have raven hair like me, but Blizzard wants the players to experience the high elves "turning side" and that's not gonna happen if they add them as a playable race for us. It is what is is.
    Because people who make these complaints don't want Void Elves. If you liked VEs for what they were, you'd never ask to turn them closer and closer to what they aren't. They don't care about how it affects the Horde or player populations, they just want anything resembling a BE model so they can 'feel' it's their HE in spirit. Unfortunately for them VEs are rather popular and Blizzard is more likely to appease the fans who actually like their race over those who'll never be satisfied.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    They're called an asspull because they were basically made up just for the reason of giving blood elf models to alliance..

Yeah I don't really get why either
    Then the Blood Elfs and Nightborne are an asspull as well...

10+ Year Old Account
    In the Void of my sou... Bah, Argentina :D
    Quote Originally Posted by Void Fallen View Post
    I don't see what's the problem. Following your logic, the Forsaken haven't had a proper racial leader since forever, as Sylvanas is different from 100% of the playable Forsaken.
    Great example of why the Forsaken too, need an actual undead human of Lordaeron, leading them. Sylvanas should evolve into an Undeath deity of somekind, or a Queen of a new undeath faction.

Nathanos, Lilian... hell, even Calia, should lead the Forsaken of Lordaeron after BfA. An actual citizen of the lost land.

Quote Originally Posted by Dakhath View Post
    Those elves look like they have poor circulation.
    Ok, that made me chuckle irl.

Not really, blood elves were before WoW.
    Last edited by Eazy; 2019-04-13 at 03:13 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    I've only ever seen them being called that by people who collectively hate both or hated the AR system.
    I don't mind them, but they get that stigma because all the other ARs were introduced prior to the scenario that unlocked them. VEs were quite literally introduced on the spot with no lead besides announcement. They were the initial prime example of 'lazy race implementation' by people criticizing the AR system early on, since their back ground wasn't as developed as the others.

- - - Updated - - -

But people say as such for entirely different reasons.

And those reasons are much more contested than the collective sentiment that VEs were initially lacking in background.

Its a multi-facesd issue, Im going totally off memory so i may be mistaken with a few things

1)I think youre partially right people are pissed that there was another opportunity to add legit high elves and they don't like the Velf compromise.

2) The story we got has made Blood Elf lore awkward. Since WC3 we understood that Blood Elves as a society have a very liberal use of magic (ideal warlock race)...this carried through all the way up to Legion. Now with the Velf story quest we see that the Blood Elves have a fairly strict system of what magic is okay, banishing shadow magic users from their land. This lore is totally out of left field "ie an asspull" we saw no build up to this and it was sudden all in one quest. Why don't they just prevent elves people from visiting the sunwell? Umbric and friends werent doing anything insane with old gods so are all practicioners of shadow magic banned? Whats happening with blood elf priests? What about warlocks they use shadow magic? How about users of Fel magic and demon summoners, are they all banished as well?

3) They objectively have significantly less lore than vanilla gnomes and tauren (Gnomes were in the lore since WC2, and Tauren since war3 with an entire zones of questing in WoW)...but I'd agree in saying that there were more appropriate race choices for the vanilla alliance than gnomes. That being said the playable Velfs only have a single quest line of lore, Alleria isn't like the PC void elves so I would not include her.

I don't believe blizzard added blood elves to the Horde because of Chinese players, no idea what youre referencing here (source?). The BC Draenei were a major retcon because blizzard wanted playable Eredar. SOURCE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kei61shkWhU
    Last edited by shade076; 2019-04-13 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shade076 View Post
    Its a multi-facesd issue, Im going totally off memory so i may be mistaken with a few things

1)I think youre partially right people are pissed that there was another opportunity to add legit high elves and they don't like the Velf compromise.

2) The story we got has made Blood Elf lore awkward. Since WC3 we understood that Blood Elves as a society have a very liberal use of magic (ideal warlock race)...this carried through all the way up to Legion. Now with the Velf story quest we see that the Blood Elves have a fairly strict system of what magic is okay, banishing shadow magic users from their land. This lore is totally out of left field "ie an asspull" we saw no build up to this and it was sudden all in one quest. Why don't they just prevent elves people from visiting the sunwell? Umbric and friends werent doing anything insane with old gods so are all practicioners of shadow magic banned? Whats happening with blood elf priests? What about warlocks they use shadow magic? How about users of Fel magic and demon summoners, are they all banished as well?

3) They objectively have significantly less lore than vanilla gnomes and tauren (Gnomes were in the lore since WC2, and Tauren since war3 with an entire zones of questing in WoW)...but I'd agree in saying that there were more appropriate race choices for the vanilla alliance than gnomes. That being said the playable Velfs only have a single quest line of lore, Alleria isn't like the PC void elves so I would not include her.

I don't believe blizzard added blood elves to the Horde because of Chinese players, no idea what youre referencing here (source?). The BC Draenei were a major retcon because blizzard wanted playable Eredar. SOURCE https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kei61shkWhU
    I am currently on a phone, but you can google that easily with blood elfs becoming horde because of fan request. One of their former devs said that in a QA (I believe it was John Staats) on reddit. Mmoc also posted that

EDIT: actually here it is https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/...p5t/?context=3
    Last edited by RobertMugabe; 2019-04-13 at 06:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account

They admited it on video.
    It was a last moment decision.
    They just thought that "dark" elves would look cooler.
    Then they tried giving them some lore to fit them in.

I'm no elf fan, but at least the other elves were historically established.
    They deserve a place among the other playable races.

Their backstory can be summed up in a couple paragraphs.
    Plus, the void elves are supposed to be like a couple dozen in population
    Yet they are the most popular alliance race with humans.

And personally, i dont like the whole cheesy direction they're going with everything.
    Void girl, Light boy, Diamond grampa, Death lady, THE NIGHT WARRIOR ooooohhh.
    It's all just very silly. Like a Saturday morning cartoon.

- - - Updated - - -

I presume alliance players wanted the opposite, to be a high elf like alleria and have a void form combat shift like she does.
    i'm not sure, cause i havent thought about playing one.

but looking at it from the outside, it does seem better, yes.
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2019-04-13 at 06:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by therealbowser View Post
    Alleria is not a void elf. The void elves are corrupted with void energy (against their will), Alleria is just a high elf ranger using void magic. She does, however, have a void form from her encounter with the corrupted Naaru, but even that doesn't make her a void elf.

I mean look, I get it. You wanted high elves, but you got void elves. The sooner you accept this, the happier you'll be.
    Or we can push for Void Elves to mirror Alleria's model and design theme (instead of the garbage that we got).

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by The Lionheart View Post
    Because that would be a high elf. Which should be a race, but Blizzard is retarded.
    Why did you necro this thread?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dark View Post
    Am I the only one who pefers void elves to high elves? They are dark, cool and sexy. They command and are able to resist one of the strongest forces in the universe. Their racials are great. They will look even better when we will be able to transmog almost everything off. High Elves belong in the past for the Alliance. We get to play two dark elf races, one wild and one with a dark vibe and some people are still not happy? It's a matter of opinion I guess and mine doesn't matter more than anyone else's, and all my characters have raven hair like me, but Blizzard wants the players to experience the high elves "turning side" and that's not gonna happen if they add them as a playable race for us. It is what is is.
    Yes... anything else?

- - - Updated - - -

I presume alliance players wanted the opposite, to be a high elf like alleria and have a void form combat shift like she does.
    Pretty much! This sums up the pre-release expectations.

You people must work for Blizzard, since you know that they introduced Void Elves not because they wanted to develop the old concept of Blood Elves messing with the Void, one that dates back to 2007, but merely because they wanted to give the Thalassian model to the Alliance.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

Since they're an a**pull with no prior basis in the lore, how did Blizzard engage in fan service? High Elves would have been fan service; Ogres would have been fan service; Krokul would have been fan service, but the current incarnation of the Void Elves isn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rozz View Post
    Because people who make these complaints don't want Void Elves. If you liked VEs for what they were, you'd never ask to turn them closer and closer to what they aren't. They don't care about how it affects the Horde or player populations, they just want anything resembling a BE model so they can 'feel' it's their HE in spirit. Unfortunately for them VEs are rather popular and Blizzard is more likely to appease the fans who actually like their race over those who'll never be satisfied.
    VEs aren't popular; they're merely a placeholder model for the people that want High Elves.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by In Ogres We Trust View Post
    VEs aren't popular; they're merely a placeholder model for the people that want High Elves.
    I'm not gonna try and change your mind on how you feel about them, but they are the most popular Allied Race and the most popular on the Alliance side.
    https://www.worldofwargraphs.com/global-stats/races I suspect Zandalari will be the second most popular soon if people keep unlocking them.

And it's because of that popularity that I don't think they're going anywhere. If anything, Blizzard will likely double down on distinctions to establish them further before letting up.

At least the Void Elves are playable, unlike the Ogre who will never be playable and wouldn't be popular anyway since they are ugly and stupid.
    The Void. A force of infinite hunger. Its whispers have broken the will of dragons... and lured even the titans' own children into madness. Sages and scholars fear the Void. But we understand a truth they do not. That the Void is a power to be harnessed... to be bent by a will strong enough to command it. The Void has shaped us... changed us. But you will become its master. Wield the shadows as a weapon to save our world... and defend the Alliance!

7+ Year Old Account
    You people must work for Blizzard, since you know that they introduced Void Elves not because they wanted to develop the old concept of Blood Elves messing with the Void, one that dates back to 2007, but merely because they wanted to give the Thalassian model to the Alliance.
    When it comes down to it, that is the reason.

They gave the Horde the night elf model with Nightborne in return as well.

At least the Void Elves are playable, unlike the Ogre who will never be playable and wouldn't be popular anyway since they are ugly and stupid.
    Well I was with you initially, and now you ruined it. Shame, shame, shame.

Oh well, give us Mok'Nathal with Rexxar's new model!

Same reason Anduin is a sword wielding priest, Tyrande is a priestess of Elune who uses a bow and arrows as well as moonfire spells, and Sylvanas is a Hunter with a Banshee form: they are hero characters and player character rules don’t apply.

10+ Year Old Account
    They originally said void elves would go "void form" in combat like worgen - but they never did it sadly.

10+ Year Old Account
    The same reason why we don't have Forsaken looking like Sylvanas or any of the Forsaken elite units (Dark Rangers or at least like Nathanos), also same reason why my BE cannot look like Lorthemar, etc... etc... etc...

Note: I do hope that they eventually add a HE like options for VE customization.

I don't care if this thread is dead or 5 years old, but I'm adding my two cents.

Allied Races are reskinned versions of older races because they are meant by all nature to be alternate, proto, or otherwise similar to currently existing core races. That's why all of the Allied Races we have currently appear very familiar. Humans, Zandalari, Tauren, Draenei, Dwarves, Orcs... the point of Allied Races is, expressly, the recycling of assets, lore-wise or design-wise to create a new race with a fresh idea, but keeping an old skeleton, metaphorically and/or literally.

It is actually quite fair for players to believe that instead of Void Elves, they could and should easily have gotten High Elves, similarly to how it is fair others believe we could have gotten Broken Draenei instead of Lightforged Draenei. In the case of the latter, the Broken race simply wasn't in a state to meaningfully, actively, and reliably serve the Alliance. They can hardly fight, and even when they can, it's usually in desperation or self/peer defense. Besides, there is little appeal or design wiggle room for a race that is specifically known for being BROKEN.

In the case of High Elves, Blizzard may have chosen not to add them and, instead, add Void Elves, simply because the allure of a High Elf is present in the form of Blood Elves. To quote Ion, if you want to play a fair-skinned, light-haired, magical and majestic elf, the Sin'Dorei accomplish all of those tasks and more.

No matter how much customization, new skin tones, tattoos, and whatever are added to High Elves, the result is just the same. You get a race that is, ultimately, a single mirror to a core race for the Horde. Blizzard wants to keep the conversation going, but in reality, they don't really want to add High Elves unless it's as a skin for a preexisting race.

Now, that? That is something far greater than what the poster here is suggesting. They are suggesting not to add a High Elf allied race, nor to add a High Elf BASED allied race, they're not even asking to add a skin of High Elves.

They are asking to hold true to the ideas and lore presented by the Void Elves and, if the player chooses, make them not trained, shifting, acolyte shadow priests, nor permanently changed void-dipped elves, but tainted, corrupted, and albeit embracing worshippers of the darkness. Optionally.

I can't even really see anyone roleplaying a High Elf with this proposed skin. You claim to be a bright-skinned, fair-haired membered of the Silver Covenant, yet your arms and legs look like they're about to fall off from hemocircular deprivation and your eyes glow a brighter purple than my brother's rainbow lamp at midnight. It's ridiculous at its core to pretend you're playing a High Elf with a skin like this which is genuinely a good idea if you look past the absurd accusations that the poster simply wants to play a High Elf, or a stand-in for it. People already play High Elves on their velves as it is, you think making it so that ONLY their arms are grapes will change that? Of course not. Those idiots will just skin change themselves and call it an improved character.

This is a good idea, and honestly, if you can only see it as an attempt at getting Blizzard to add a helf mockup skin, then you're the problem, not OP, and not the helf fans.
    Last edited by Darlaimerner; 2019-12-18 at 07:19 AM.