Quote Originally Posted by Firedemon View Post
    For what purpose will someone need a camera in their controller?
    Dick pics, you already hold the controller pretty close to your junk, might as well make good use of it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ill pass until Red Dead Redemption 3 comes out on PS5.

Then I'll get the pro pack with RDR branded PS5 and the best console game ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Fahrenheit View Post
    $500 is about what I'd expect to pay for the new Playstation and Xbox. Weren't they both around $400 at this current generation's launch? $500 seems fair if it has all the stuff it's claimed to have.
    The 1tb(if it is this much) of SSD alone is like +100 dollars possibly by 2020, It's not gonna be less then 500. Heck they might have 2 options for memory one at even more then 500.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by beanman12345 View Post
    The 1tb(if it is this much) of SSD alone is like +100 dollars possibly by 2020, It's not gonna be less then 500. Heck they might have 2 options for memory one at even more then 500.
    SATA SSD wise, it's already at $115 for a 1 TB, there are already 1TB NVMe for $145, pretty decent ones too for retail prices. Bulk purchase OEM drives will definitely be cheaper.
    MX500 and P34A80 for the aforementioned ones.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Squishy Tia View Post
    It should be noted that the specs they touted will require much more powerful hardware than is currently in use for consoles.

The 0.8 second load time they gave us isn't possible via SATA, even with an SSD. I've got a Samsung 2 TB 860 EVO in my PS4 Pro. Load times aren't that tiny. Not by any stretch of the imagination. In order to get that kind of speed, you need NVMe, and if they aren't using PCIe 4.0, they'll need at least an internal x8 link width for the bandwidth necessary to accomplish such a low load time. So that $500 price tag is likely on the conservative side considering that NVMe at a minimum will be required for such performance, possibly proprietary internal SSD tech otherwise. A 3.5" bay using a U.2 connection would likely be the best compromise to allow high capacity and/or greater speed (U.2 is equivalent to NVMe x4). This will be especially necessary to maintain drive speed during gameplay, as M.2 NVMe drives thermally throttle far sooner than 2.5" or 3.5" drives do, and 2.5" SSDs can incorporate as much or more than M.2 drives in terms of capacity for a much lower cost.

It sucks that Sony's sticking with AMD for the GPU (the CPU is fine - Ryzen excels at multicore-aware tasks, something consoles make great use of). nVidia's hardware is just so much more superior to AMDs, and has more capability at the same power point than AMD's lineup does. 8k upscaling will require significant brute force with AMD's architecture, and unless the console has sufficiently overkill cooling, expect thermal throttling to kick in during such scenarios. nVidia would have provided for a much more powerful and lot cooler solution than Navi will. The Polaris GPU in the PS4 Pro damn near cooks itself to death already.

And I'll believe Sony can get it all done in a console when I see it. Right now their demo unit was inside a PC chassis, which has far better cooling and spatial solutions than consoles do, and a plethora of modern I/O interfaces. Call me when they get it into their console chassis and have it working without hitting thermal constraints.
    Really a lot of unknown.

The given we know is that they'll be using NVMe since Cerny touted that they have more raw bandwidth than current SSD drives, which would only make sense for PCIe 4.0 x4 drives. U.2 drives won't do anything (and say it's the equivalent of NVMe x4 is odd because it is NVMe as the protocol), there is no benefit for U.2 as the only notable benefit is hot swapping, which is useful for servers, but not for a home machine. Throttling won't really be a huge issue, the most efficient NVMe are on par with the most efficient SATA drives now. WD Black and MX500 respectively and some cheaper ones hugging those two close, like the PA34A80.

As for the GPU Navi, we don't know how or what it is really. Sony and Microsoft do not run their GPUs outside of their comfort zone, so to speak, anyways. We'll get a better idea of what it is later this year. Not to also mention that low level API like GNM allows for better use of the hardware, so even if the performance on a discrete GPU is mediocre, that doesn't mean the same is true on a console. The PS4 slim only uses around 80W at the wall for the entire machine, so assuming 80% efficiency (no idea what their PSU efficiency is) that'd be around 64W for the entire machine which for the relative performance given is pretty damn good. Also Nvidia doesn't really run more efficiently when ran at the proper clock and voltages. For example the i7-8705G for example with the Vega 20, runs more efficiently than the Nvidia counterparts because it wasn't as insanely clocked and properly tuned. These are laptop parts so they're running at their best efficiency clocks and voltages.

The only ones with a good coherent (semi)custom package is AMD anyways. For simplicity we know they wanted a more common ISA, so x86 or ARM in a singular package. Nvidia can't supply the CPU and they're pretty bad with their SoCs and Intel can't supply the GPU. All that's left is AMD that has access to both high performance CPU and GPU IPs. AMD also are the most experienced with semi-customs which is a bonus.

Lastly, upscaling is not brute forcing, upscaling is the very definition of not brute forcing because you're not rendering it natively. The overhead for upscaling is very minimal.
    Last edited by Remilia; 2019-04-18 at 01:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Onikaroshi View Post
    Only reason consoles can pull that quality is because the games are tailor made to the hardware, the hardware itself is mediocre. And don't even start with games, you just listed off a bunch of games I have no interest in playing. Console doesn't have most of the games I spend my time on. Though FFXIV on PS would be a cool one to pick up for me, but I already have it on PC anyway so it would just be a bonus.
    Yeah, If only games were tailor made to 5000+ super PCs that block poorer people from playing them.

PC has live service games that suck you in and cause you to spend most of your time on them, consoles (or at least ps4 this gen) have literally destroyed any single player competitors. If you can't understand why a game like God Of War isn't good, AND good for the industry, while popular PC games like WoW and Apex Legends are bad for the industry, we have nothing further to discuss.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Ill pass until Red Dead Redemption 3 comes out on PS5.

Then I'll get the pro pack with RDR branded PS5 and the best console game ever.
    This is legit the best way to go with consoles. Wait for the upgraded version with a game combo

Quote Originally Posted by Anaphaze View Post
    Yeah, If only games were tailor made to 5000+ super PCs that block poorer people from playing them.

PC has live service games that suck you in and cause you to spend most of your time on them, consoles (or at least ps4 this gen) have literally destroyed any single player competitors. If you can't understand why a game like God Of War isn't good, AND good for the industry, while popular PC games like WoW and Apex Legends are bad for the industry, we have nothing further to discuss.
    Because consoles don't have any live service games and pc has no good single player.... riiiiight.

Sorry my preference nowadays is playing multiplayer and persistent world games only. I spent a lot of time in my youth playing single player games (I have THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of hours into final fantasies), nowadays I prefere to play games with other people, including my wife and friends, then playing loner style single player.

then playing loner style single player.
    Yes because you're a loner if you want to play games without being wished cancer/aids/rape apon which is regular in the cesspit of online gaming

Quote Originally Posted by RobertoCarlos View Post
    Yes because you're a loner if you want to play games without being wished cancer/aids/rape apon which is regular in the cesspit of online gaming
    I see very little of that in the games I play, maybe try finding better games

You know... like not fortnite, or OW, or any other competitive game.

I see very little of that in the games I play, maybe try finding better games
    Most popular games online such as LoL, dota, CS, COD, Overwatch, WoW

see that kinda behavior hourly. Maybe get some experience in online gaming.

Most popular games online such as LoL, dota, CS, WoW

see that kinda behavior hourly. Maybe get some experience in online gaming.
    I've played WoW for over 14 years, and I BARELY see what your spouting. Learn to stay out of trade.

There's some Toxic people but nowhere near as bad as LoL or CS, games which I purposely stay away from, not even because of that, but because I hate competitive games.

I've played WoW for over 14 years, and I BARELY see what your spouting. Learn to stay out of trade.

There's some Toxic people but nowhere near as bad as LoL or CS, games which I purposely stay away from, not even because of that, but because I hate competitive games.

you heard it first here folks. Toxicity was something I imagined. Must be just a me thing huh i guess

you heard it first here folks. Toxicity was something I imagined. Must be just a me thing huh i guess
    I never said there wasn't ANY, but it's nowhere near "hourly" I might see an instance of it once a day, and I'm not on a dead server. But you've already made up your mind, so have a nice day.

Maybe learn to surround yourself with positive people. Like how we have a guild of about 20 people that plays many games together and has actually met IRL, can't get that with single player.

WoW is a competitive game and it's player base is no more angels then any of the games you named.

And man, if I'm on the same side as Roberto you know you got a bad take...

I never said there wasn't ANY, but it's nowhere near "hourly" I might see an instance of it once a day, and I'm not on a dead server. But you've already made up your mind, so have a nice day.

Maybe learn to surround yourself with positive people. Like how we have a guild of about 20 people that plays many games together and has actually met IRL, can't get that with single player.
    1. Not all online games have "guilds/clan" functions. A lot of online gaming is random match making designed to increase competition.

2. Guilds are a whole other chore/mini job. Ever think some people do enough work at their actual job they dont want to put in the hours required or meet at specific times to be as an "active and contributing" member which any half decent guild actually clearing the games content is gonna pay attention too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    WoW is a competitive game and it's player base is no more angels then any of the games you named.

And man, if I'm on the same side as Roberto you know you got a bad take...
    Wow is as casual or competitive as you make it, I don't make it competitive anymore.

And I really barely ever see any toxicity on a day to day basis, some days are bad sure, but I just report and move on, no point in being bothered by it.

Wow is as casual or competitive as you make it, I don't make it competitive anymore.
    Literally every competitive game can be played casually.

That doesn't change the fact WoW is a competitive game.

Nice, non statement.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    Literally every competitive game can be played casually.

That doesn't change the fact WoW is a competitive game.

Nice, non statement.
    Not really, you can't play lol, or overwatch, or any game that the entire goal is to win non-competitively, that's generally reportable. I'm not talking competitive as an actual ranked mode.

Not really, you can't play lol, or overwatch, or any game that the entire goal is to win non-competitively, that's generally reportable. I'm not talking competitive as an actual ranked mode.
    this all seems like a rather large over reaction to me pointing out its lame to call people who enjoy single player games as "loners" like everyone should be enthralled to spend as much time with humanity as possible

this all seems like a rather large over reaction to me pointing out its lame to call people who enjoy single player games as "loners" like everyone should be enthralled to spend as much time with humanity as possible
    I didnt call them loners, I said loner style, learn to read

Though if you refuse to play multiplayer games for fear of "teh toxicity" you kind of are a loner. Just learn to stop letting it bother you