Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is there a Serial Killer Targeting Black Women Inn Chicago?

The FBI and Chicago Police have teamed up for a task force to investigate possible links between the deaths of more than 50 women in Chicago.

Activists and community leaders on the South and West sides have long said the slain women’s deaths by strangulation were too similar and suggested a serial killer is on the loose. The Murder Accountability Project, which uses data and an algorithm to investigate possible links between slayings, also issued a report in March saying the collection of killings had “characteristics suggestive of serial murder.”
    In regards to the victims:

The majority of the murder victims were black women, with the oldest 58 and the youngest 18, according to the Murder Accountability Project. Their bodies have been found throughout the city but mostly on the South and West sides, largely in abandoned buildings or outside in alleys, garbage cans and vacant lots.
    It was time the community voiced their concerns and acted:

Last summer, a group led by Aziya Roberts, 13, a youth leader with Kenwood-Oakland Community Organization (KOCO), marched in Bronzeville to protest the unsolved murders and missing persons cases involving black women and girls.

At the time, police said stories circulating on social media about a serial killer were false, and some of the missing girls had been located, but many other unsolved cases remain. When black women are missing or murdered, the cases rarely get as much media or police attention as cases with white victims, said Tricey Robinson, Aziya’s mom.

“That’s what the whole march was about,” Robinson said in June. “Black women coming up missing in Chicago then being found raped, slain, or not found at all. The whole march is about us and what we are going through and no one is helping us.”
    "Quite often, just knowing that it's a possible series is a gamechanger," said one man who thinks a serial killer is targeting women in Chicago.

This has been building for years , and in the most recent months has been gaining more and more traction nationally. I can understand the police not wanting to officially say they believe a serial killer is at large due to it potentially hampering the investigation and / or scaring the killer off ... but how long do you have to sit back and not act until the community rises up ?

They have started to.

I believe the police were already doing what they could , but maybe sometimes you have to break protocol in order to quell the masses

But the criticism has begun:

It had been months since the body of her daughter, Shantieya Smith, 25, was discovered in a Lawndale garage. Months of unanswered questions, of unreturned phone calls from detectives working the case. So she packed up her things and her 8-year-old granddaughter and moved to downstate Kewanee, 145 miles away. She hoped the distance would ease the pain.

“I call the detectives, but they never call back,” Moore said. “They said that when they had everything together they’d call me back. It’ll be a year this June. At least they could tell me if they’ve found DNA evidence or if they found anything near the garage, but they aren’t telling me anything.”
    And there is more:

“All I want to know is who did it and what happened to” Smith, Moore said. “And when I do, I need peace. That’s all I’m fighting for. She has an 8-year-old daughter that I’m raising.”

When Moore met with Chicago Police Supt. Eddie Johnson, she said he insinuated her daughter’s “high-risk lifestyle” may have played a part in her murder, referring to her and another victim as “prostitutes.” He apologized soon after, said Moore.

“Whatever they was, whatever they did, doesn’t matter. They’re still human beings,” Moore said.

‘What Took Them So Long?’

Last week, the FBI and Chicago Police said they had formed a task force to investigate possible links between the deaths of more than 50 women in Chicago.

Activists and community leaders on the South and West sides have long said a series of women’s deaths by strangulation were too similar and suggested a serial killer is on the loose, but the theory has been dismissed by police. But after the Murder Accountability Project, which uses data and an algorithm to investigate possible links between slayings, issued a report in March saying the collection of killings had “characteristics suggestive of serial murder,” a task force was formed.

Still, Moore is skeptical — and she isn’t alone.
    Will this turn into a complete and utter blunder for law enforcement in this modern age ?
    Last edited by KOUNTERPARTS; 2019-04-18 at 10:02 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Do they actually have any clues connecting the murders to each other?

I mean, there's probably a handful of black women murdered in Chicago every day.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post

I mean, there's probably a handful of black women murdered in Chicago every day.
    All died due to strangulations.

The bodies were found in alleys or abandoned buildings.

Indications of forced sexual acts (rape).

It might not be an excuse but i imagine the police and detectives in Chicago are stretched thin.
    These are just the shooting numbers, imagine all the other crimes the police need to attend too.

Murders between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31 by year:

2018: 561
    2017: 660
    2016: 777
    Shooting victims between Jan. 1 and Dec. 31 by year:

2018: 2948
    2017: 3463
    2016: 4351
    Shooting incidents between Jan 1. and Dec. 31 by year:

2018: 2391
    2017: 2777
    2016: 3550

It is a prime city for it if that's the case. They've got enough already just handling criminal gang related murders/attempted murders.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FL4K View Post
    *removed*
    Several things jumped out at me while I read this...

You suggest breaking protocol is a good idea... what if its that break in protocol that tips the killer(s)? Will you continue to squeal and call it a complete and utter blunder?

You also suggest that CPD isn't doing anything... you base this on what? EXACTLY?

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Puupi View Post

The similarities are what clued the Office in the first place. Now that they have a profile to look for and can go back and review the police reports with a new light.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sircaw View Post
    It might not be an excuse but i imagine the police and detectives in Chicago are stretched thin.
    These are just the shooting numbers, imagine all the other crimes the police need to attend too.

I agree. I think the fact that they caught onto this at all is a good sign. Knowing about it gives you a much better chance at solving it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    It is a prime city for it if that's the case. They've got enough already just handling criminal gang related murders/attempted murders.
    I read somewhere awhile back that a lot of major cities (this one was referencing Los Angeles) have roving serial killers that go unnoticed and uncaught. We see stuff on t.v. that tells us to look for the same motives/methods/etc. But in the case I read about, the methods were different, so the killers aren't even known to be "serial" in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    The similarities are what clued the Office in the first place. Now that they have a profile to look for and can go back and review the police reports with a new light.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree. I think the fact that they caught onto this at all is a good sign. Knowing about it gives you a much better chance at solving it.

- - - Updated - - -

I read somewhere awhile back that a lot of major cities (this one was referencing Los Angeles) have roving serial killers that go unnoticed and uncaught. We see stuff on t.v. that tells us to look for the same motives/methods/etc. But in the case I read about, the methods were different, so the killers aren't even known to be "serial" in nature.
    Indeed, they can just take care to change their patterns and methods between kills and thus throw potential investigators off their "scent", so to speak. For each they catch there's likely numerous ones never even suspected.

Quote Originally Posted by sircaw View Post

What popped to my mind was exactly these stats, but for a bit different reason - if you create an algorithm that's looking for things out of the ordinary, Chicago's murder spike and massive year over year changes might throw the whole thing off. I'm sure people with a lot more expertise than I have are looking at it, so I don't want to make strong claims.

7+ Year Old Account
    I read somewhere awhile back that a lot of major cities (this one was referencing Los Angeles) have roving serial killers that go unnoticed and uncaught
    There is a guy who has been (and possibly currently) doing this around the Gilgo Beach area of New York. The "Long Island Serial Killer" is still operating and the theory is that he is a nomad killer -- perhaps he found his way through Chicago a couple of times?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Hamsters View Post
    Indeed, they can just take care to change their patterns and methods between kills and thus throw potential investigators off their "scent", so to speak. For each they catch there's likely numerous ones never even suspected.
    Have you ever seen the movie Mr. Brooks? Fantastic movie, total sleeper when it comes to popularity because a lot of people don't like Costner. Really outside his wheelhouse though.

Method changes would be a key way to prevent detection, assuming you don't get caught normally.

Have you ever seen the movie Mr. Brooks? Fantastic movie, total sleeper when it comes to popularity because a lot of people don't like Costner. Really outside his wheelhouse though.

Method changes would be a key way to prevent detection, assuming you don't get caught normally.
    Yes!! I love that movie with a passion. It is one of those rare gems that one might watch "when there's nothing else", only to find out that it's a bloody great piece. It went from being recorded on TV (with commercials) to being part of my movie collection very swiftly! :3

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FaceYourself View Post
    There is a guy who has been (and possibly currently) doing this around the Gilgo Beach area of New York. The "Long Island Serial Killer" is still operating and the theory is that he is a nomad killer -- perhaps he found his way through Chicago a couple of times?
    Frightening. And nomad would be the way to prevent detection over a long period of time. Another great movie on nomad serial killer - Suspect Zero.

We just had something similar here in Toronto. The gay community has claimed for years that there was a killer on the lose and no one believed them. The police did some half harted investigations but people kept vanishing. In the end it turns out it was a man they had already questioned but written off as a suspect. Someone new arrived at a police station and noticed some irregularities. When they put 2 and 2 together and went to the guys home he had a young man tied up in the basement.

He had cut up his victims and put them in planters all around Toronto since we owned a landscaping firm. One elderly couple had 2 dead men spread out in planters all over their garden. I would be surprised if this story is not made into a movie very soon.

I wouldn't put it past a serial killer.

Honestly there are a lot of serial killers out there.

The fact their murders are “random” is what makes it so hard.

I spoke with a forensic unit when I went to see autopsies and they said barely 30-40% of murders are solved. The ones that are solved are usually no-brainers but getting evidence is the struggle. Non-serial killers have a motive. Serial killers just enjoy killing. It’s a perversion

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Najnaj View Post
    We just had something similar here in Toronto. The gay community has claimed for years that there was a killer on the lose and no one believed them. The police did some half harted investigations but people kept vanishing. In the end it turns out it was a man they had already questioned but written off as a suspect. Someone new arrived at a police station and noticed some irregularities. When they put 2 and 2 together and went to the guys home he had a young man tied up in the basement.

He had cut up his victims and put them in planters all around Toronto since we owned a landscaping firm. One elderly couple had 2 dead men spread out in planters all over their garden. I would be surprised if this story is not made into a movie very soon.
    Holy. Fucking. Shit.

I hate to say it, but it would make a good movie. Wow.

I'd watch that movie, assuming they put some effort into it Prisoners or Zodiac-style.
    Reminds me of another movie I saw recently which wasn't AT ALL as bad as I'd expected: The Frozen Ground. Also based on true events. Shocking to say the least.

Makes one wonder how many cases are walking around out there, free to keep at it as they please...

7+ Year Old Account

I think you're referring to Bruce MacArthur

Responsible for serial murders of gay men between 2010 - 2017. This guy has severe, severe rage issues.

^some of the victims