Poll: Whats being said

Page 1 of 20
... LastLast

N word or Idiot, what do you hear?

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/24/18...gue-of-legends

A league streamer was recently banned from twitch for allegedly saying the n word on stream.

Embedded is the video in which the entire staff of twitch has reviewed and apparently is able to hear him saying the n word. Decide for yourself.

Edit.

Twitch banned him for 30 days, then reviewed the clip as a group and still apparently reached the conclusion that in fact the streamer was spewing racial slurs. They then reduced his ban to 7 days, for reasons not known to me.

I heard someone walk into the room and then immediately fall to the floor laughing at me for watching league of legends videos. Thanks a lot.
    "I'm not stuck in the trench, I'm maintaining my rating."

10+ Year Old Account
    I think its Twitch's platform and they are allowed to hear whatever they want.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

The Unstoppable Force Super Kami Dende's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I hear Idiot, because I am infact not one. People that heard "nigger" are morons looking at things to be upset about.

I also find a hilarious thing that the Youtube auto-generated Captions also says Idiots.
    Last edited by Super Kami Dende; 2019-04-25 at 04:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by breslin View Post
    Twitch banned him for 30 days, then reviewed the clip as a group and still apparently reached the conclusion that in fact the streamer was spewing racial slurs. They then reduced his ban to 7 days, for reasons not known to me.
    The reduced ban is because he has zero prior history of any sort of racism or hate speech, the League of Legends subreddit has a thread on it explaining it all. Personally I heard him say idiot but he has an accent so I can see how people may make the mistake of hearing other things, but I worked with people from the Middle East in the military and the accent is probably easier for me to hear past because of that.

One of the people working for Riot Games that owns the game also agrees that he clearly says idiot but they don't have any way to appeal the ban really, although a professional League of Legends team owner is pressuring Twitch to unban him right now as well.

I think the whole concept of creating a fake term to substitute for a real term - when everyone knows the fake term meaning is a ludicrous attempt at prescriptive linguistics.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I think its Twitch's platform and they are allowed to hear whatever they want.
    They certainly are, however if you make a claim that someone is a racist and is making racial slurs I would think you're bordering on making defamatory claims

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by schwarzkopf View Post
    I think the whole concept of creating a fake term to substitute for a real term - when everyone knows the fake term meaning is a ludicrous attempt at prescriptive linguistics.
    This isn't a case of that, people actually think he said the n word.

It's idiots 100%, if youve ever watched TFblade he is always calling people idiots

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    I hear Idiot, because I am infact not one. People that heard [n-word] are morons looking at things to be upset about.
    Creating false dichotomies, of course, being acknowledged worldwide as not-idiotic behavior. Wait...

In any event, I heard idiot. He's being a bit of a whiny douche but I don't see anything in this as grounds for a suspension.
    “Nostalgia was like a disease, one that crept in and stole the colour from the world and the time you lived in. Made for bitter people. Dangerous people, when they wanted back what never was.” -- Steven Erikson, The Crippled God

This isn't a case of that, people actually think he said the n word.
    I seriously doubt people would be concerned about him saying 'the n word', I find it utterly stupid that we can't even discuss what someone actually said or didn't say.

Challenge Mode : Play WoW like my disability has me play:
    You will need two people, Brian MUST use the mouse for movement/looking and John MUST use the keyboard for casting, attacking, healing etc.
    Briand and John share the same goal, same intentions - but they can't talk to each other, however they can react to each other's in game activities.
    Now see how far Brian and John get in WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Winter Blossom View Post
    I heard “fuck this idiot”.
    Congratulations, it seems you have functioning ears.

10+ Year Old Account
    They certainly are, however, if you make a claim that someone is a racist and is making racial slurs I would think you're bordering on making defamatory claims
    There's no defamation though. Maybe he said it, maybe he didn't, but their interpretation is backed up by the video - all they have to say is that it sounds like he said it to them.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

After listening on high volume, very close to the speaker, I have to agree that he did seem to say "idiots". You can hear the dip in the middle of the word if you listen closely.

Now, I don't know what all ELSE he might have said - but for this one instance, I am not convinced it was a racial slur.

He said "idiots". It's very very clear to people with ears.

I don't really even know how this is a discussion. The two words don't sound anything alike. He slurried it lightly which might've made it sound like "nidiots" but that's still not even remotely close.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Kami Dende View Post
    I hear Idiot, because I am infact not one. People that heard "nigger" are morons looking at things to be upset about.

I also find a hilarious thing that the Youtube auto-generated Captions also says Idiots.
    I would say Twitch is being racist due to his accent. It's clearly idiots he said yet because he has an accent they're turning it into something it isn't. Twitch needs some sensitivity training when dealing with accents. Very bigoted of them.

anyone at twitch who contributed to this ban should be fired outright

There's no defamation though. Maybe he said it, maybe he didn't, but their interpretation is backed up by the video - all they have to say is that it sounds like he said it to them.
    If its a maybe, then you can't make a claim that someone did something. Anything can be a maybe.

I hear idiots. How can anyone not hear that it's idiots?

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahh yes, lets live in a World of Maybes that can ruin Peoples reputations. Especially in a time when saying someone is "maybe racist" is pretty much just throwing them to the outrage Mob who will see it as "definitely racist" in their usual idiocy.

People that heard this as the N word are very likely to be the same dipshits that think the OK sign is also somehow racist.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdance View Post
    anyone at twitch who contributed to this ban should be fired outright
    No. Are you crazy?

As for the thread, I heard Idiots. Sounds like Twitch staff got the McGurk effect going on. Play the clip at 0.5 speed and it's REALLY obvious.
    Hi