Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

how do u call black people

i live in mostly a white country and wonder how in english do u call black people not to offend them? do u refer to them as blacks, negroes or what? i guess u cant call someone from france or UK an afroamerican
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

10+ Year Old Account
    I call them people.
    #boycottchina

in what context? Kinda hinges on that.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Normally by their first name.
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Try using their names.
    /s

Usually I call them on the phone.

it rarely comes up over here that we need to call them any different to the rest of us, but when it does "black" is usually used. I've heard the term "african englishman" used a couple of times but only jokingly (from black people taking the piss out of the american term)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Proskill View Post
    i live in mostly a white country and wonder how in english do u call black people not to offend them? do u refer to them as blacks, negroes or what? i guess u cant call someone from france or UK an afroamerican
    I usually call him 'Sean' but I guess he'll answer to 'black people' if I asked.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Where I'm from if you need to describe someones skin colour you just say they were black or dark skinned. It's not offensive unless using it in a derogatory manor. Same as I'm sure someone would describe me as white or pale skinned.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    in what context? Kinda hinges on that.
    just to point out they are not white or asian
    Scam Citizen referral code: STAR-2YL2-XDTX|get 5,000 UEC

We call them by their first name if we know them well enough or by their last name if we don't.
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

5+ Year Old Account
    Uh def don't use 'Negro', that used to be the 'polite' step up from the N-word. Still derogatory. Colored is context dependent, but follows similar rules to 'Oriental'. It depends on how it's used, but safer not to.

Black is pretty safe, but some sensitive people may prefer PoC (a specific use of 'color' like mentioned above) or African-X Nation they hail from. Some others prefer to drop black or african all together and just go by their nationality (ex: "I'm not African-French, I'm French."). Most people just say Black in the US at least. I guess in some places if they feel the word sounds too hard/aggressive they may use "softer sounding" terms instead. In the end, just give people the same level of respect you'd give yourself and you should be fine.
    Moderator of the General Off-Topic, Politics, Lore, and RP Forums
    "If you have any concerns, let me know via PM. I'll do my best to assist you."

Great distance? Phone. Up close? Name, or the other common things like "Hey" or "Hello". Seems typical.

just to point out they are not white or asian
    Black then, unless you are in US, then I guess african american is better. Person of color is another term that works, but personally I find that to sound a bit demeening.

sir, or ma'am, as i sometimes get pulled up to the retail floor from the warehouse.

if they're one of my friends i call them by name or whatever nickname i've decided upon with them. usually "muh dude" or "playa play" or "big money".
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

If you're asking how I'd describe them physically, I'd just describe them as being a black person. Apparently calling someone coloured isn't okay now, but I guess that's fairly broad.

All these posts talking about calling someone by their name etc, being intentionally thick about the question are pretty funny though.

5+ Year Old Account
    Where I come from they were called Abīd.

In what situation do you actually need to comment on their skin color? Do you generally sort your friends and family by hair color or hight?

10+ Year Old Account
    With a phone.
    "It is not wise to judge others based on your own preconceptions or by their appearances."

10+ Year Old Account

If you needed to label someone based on their ethic background, black is fine ....
    Black/African American is utilized interchangeably in public/government levels.

Quote Originally Posted by Kumorii View Post
    Black then, unless you are in US, then I guess african american is better. Person of color is another term that works, but personally I find that to sound a bit demeening.
    Yeah, maybe "person of color". Saying "colored" as a stand-alone is .... no