Android versions and security patches.

So i just re-bought a phone that i got in 2015 because i like the form factor, what im wondering is how important is having an updated android version and security patches? I have not seen one app on the playstore that is incompatible with 6.0 marshamallow which is the latest OS for my phone, the security level is nov 2017, but what does that actually mean? The reason i ask is i see people harp on the importance of having an updated android OS but in my experience, at least for marshmallow, ive seen no ill effects in regards to app compatibility.

BTW the reason i refused to buy a new phone is the 18:9 aspect ratio (i watch a lot of twitch, thats all 16:9 ratio content), and just generally how enormous phones have gotten. Many times i need to use my phone with one hand and nearly no one makes phones where this is easy to do on anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not having it updated means it's vulnerable to more exploits, so you have to be more careful with what you browse and download

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    Not having it updated means it's vulnerable to more exploits, so you have to be more careful with what you browse and download
    Right thats what i figured, but not sure exactly where this would be relevant? I dont do online banking for example on my phone, all that kind of stuff i do on my PC.

As a side note, if anyone knows of a 4.7-5.0 inch phone with a 16:9 aspect ratio and front facing stereo speakers that has been made in the past year feel free to link it, i cant find anything that is close to my old phone in terms of design. Sony's xperia compact line is very close, but they also have sadly made the move to a 18:9 aspect ratio which i refuse to switch to lol.

Basically iphone 8 (not the new full screen models) style hardware is what im looking for on the android side.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some of the updates are wi-fi related or bluetooth software stack for example. So it's not just browsing that may be vulnerable. Depending on the phone you may unlock bootloader and install custom firmware with updates with security patches to the phone. Mileage varies depends on phone.

And no, no one is really making any <=5" phone on Android. Latest would be XZ2 compact. Otherwise XZ1 Compact for the 16:9.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Some of the updates are wi-fi related or bluetooth software stack for example. So it's not just browsing that may be vulnerable. Depending on the phone you may unlock bootloader and install custom firmware with updates with security patches to the phone. Mileage varies depends on phone.

And no, no one is really making any <=5" phone on Android. Latest would be XZ2 compact. Otherwise XZ1 Compact for the 16:9.
    Yup those are the kind of devices ive been looking at, problem with sony is their speakers are crap compared to other manufacturers and up until the xz2 you cannot use the fingerprint sensor in the USA. I have actually looked into custom rom's but cant find anything for my phone, im fine with 6.0 honestly just wasnt sure how important security updates were. I mainly use my phone for text/calls/chromecasting and watching twitch. (i have a gaming pc and dont game on my phone, specs i couldnt care less about lol)

Here is my phone:
    https://www.gsmarena.com/alcatel_idol_3_(4_7)-7080.php

Iphone sized android with amazing speakers, really confusing why more manufacturers dont make stuff like this anymore. Even going with a xperia compact would be a downgrade, the speakers on this blow away what sony puts on theirs.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2019-05-07 at 08:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    Yup those are the kind of devices ive been looking at, problem with sony is their speakers are crap compared to other manufacturers and up until the xz2 you cannot use the fingerprint sensor in the USA. I have actually looked into custom rom's but cant find anything for my phone, im fine with 6.0 honestly just wasnt sure how important security updates were. I mainly use my phone for text/calls/chromecasting and watching twitch. (i have a gaming pc and dont game on my phone, specs i couldnt care less about lol)

Here is my phone:
    https://www.gsmarena.com/alcatel_idol_3_(4_7)-7080.php

Iphone sized android with amazing speakers, really confusing why more manufacturers dont make stuff like this anymore. Even going with a xperia compact would be a downgrade, the speakers on this blow away what sony puts on theirs.
    You can install other region firmwares for the Sony phones easily and reenable the fingerprint sensor. It's a dumb patent issue or whatever.

My experience with the speakers for Sony is that they don't get really loud but they also don't crack at high dB or screeches at high frequency. Have an XZ Premium here.

I'm personally tempted to just get an XZ2 Compact dual sim (international), and flash the modem firmware to the US for SIM1 for Verizon and SIM2 leave as is for Fi.

You can install other region firmwares for the Sony phones easily and reenable the fingerprint sensor. It's a dumb patent issue or whatever.

My experience with the speakers for Sony is that they don't get really loud but they also don't crack at high dB or screeches at high frequency. Have an XZ Premium here.

I'm personally tempted to just get an XZ2 Compact dual sim (international), and flash the modem firmware to the US for SIM1 for Verizon and SIM2 leave as is for Fi.
    Ya thats what ive heard about sony speakers, but im more of a loudness guy so i dont miss any texts and i can hear navigation while driving etc. These alcatel speakers are pretty much best in slot (dual amplifiers tuned by JBL) only trumped by razer afaik, but that phone is a behemoth lol. XZ2 compact sensor does work in the USA, its anything older than that i believe.

Another consideration is weight but thats less of a factor, my phone is 110g which is lighter than an iphone 5s and i really like how you can just hold it with 2 fingers lol. 168g is pretty hefty for a 5.0" phone.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2019-05-07 at 09:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya thats what ive heard about sony speakers, but im more of a loudness guy so i dont miss any texts and i can hear navigation while driving etc. These alcatel speakers are pretty much best in slot (dual amplifiers tuned by JBL) only trumped by razer afaik, but that phone is a behemoth lol. XZ2 compact sensor does work in the USA, its anything older than that i believe.

Another consideration is weight but thats less of a factor, my phone is 110g which is lighter than an iphone 5s and i really like how you can just hold it with 2 fingers lol. 168g is pretty hefty for a 5.0" phone.
    Yeah I was referring to the ones before XZ2 (cause those sensors are on the back).
    Personally I'm most likely going to grab the next decent small phone whether it's iOS or Android.

Yeah I was referring to the ones before XZ2 (cause those sensors are on the back).
    Personally I'm most likely going to grab the next decent small phone whether it's iOS or Android.
    Ive debated going with an iphone, but the OS seems so incredibly non sensical. There is no universal back button, and when there is one in an app its all the way up in the top left hand corner of the screen, negating all the engineering effort they put in to make it one handable lol. Apple also does not let you move icons on the home screen where you want them, unless you fill the screen up with apps entirely.....how ridiculous.
    Last edited by Fascinate; 2019-05-07 at 09:31 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ive debated going with an iphone, but the OS seems so incredibly non sensical. There is no universal back button, and when there is one in an app its all the way up in the top left hand corner of the screen, negating all the engineering effort they put in to make it one handable lol. Apple also does not let you move icons on the home screen where you want them, unless you fill the screen up with apps entirely.....how ridiculous.
    Oh no doubt there are some downsides. Though the longer software support and consistency with base apps is something that interests me more. Main thing I may find annoying is the notification system, granted Pie right now sometimes just send notifications late or never. It's quite annoying. I may borrow my brother's iPhone to mess around with for a while before reaching any conclusion.
    Hardware wise, get rid of Intel modem, kthx, which they are but no idea when.

Sorry to bump but better than starting a new thread. Just got my new (old) phone in the mail and it found the 6.0.1 update right away but it is not finding the most recent security update, can security updates come from anywhere other than the manufacturers update center? Its the exact same phone/model, just found it odd.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry to bump but better than starting a new thread. Just got my new (old) phone in the mail and it found the 6.0.1 update right away but it is not finding the most recent security update, can security updates come from anywhere other than the manufacturers update center? Its the exact same phone/model, just found it odd.
    OTA updates should only come from the manufacturer (or carriers). Otherwise custom ROMs or AOSP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Think of phones like routers in that they get abondoned quickly and you're at the mercy of the carrier or manufacturer. Both devices also need updates often to keep them secure. The best solution is to get a custom rom for your phone if you want security updates.

OTA updates should only come from the manufacturer (or carriers). Otherwise custom ROMs or AOSP.
    Thats what i thought, just so weird that it found the most recent android version but not the latest security patch. Maybe it only scans for those every so often, ill give it a month and see if it finds it lol. It's is in perfect condition otherwise, love these small phones

I prefer staying with the stock Android ROM and only install updates from vendor. I didn't see significant improvement from those updates and could make the phone running slow with latest Android version. However, the only issue with an out of date Android OS is that some of the apps could not be installed.