Thread: 4k?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Saphyron View Post
    That there is the reason people getting more dumb.

Please stop contributing to the stupidity of the world.
    I generally do not comment on these sorts of things because it doesn't contribute and only invokes flaming.
    But good Lord I had a small aneurysm reading that.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lummiuster View Post
    No. People like to refer 1440p to 2k (1080p to 1k and 3840p to 4k). It is much easier to remember 1/2/4 than 1080/1440/3840 and whatever stands for 8k. So lets keep using it. Words get their meaning from what people think of when they use the word. It is nice to know what they truly stand for but the most important is to know what people think it means when they use it.
    Calling it 1080p and 3840p isn't helping anything. 1080p is the vertical resolution, 3840p is the horizontal. If you wanna use the "p", then it'd be 2160p.

1080p is 2k (1920 horizontal resolution), 1440p is 2.5k (2560 horizontal resolution), 2160p is 4k (3840 horizontal resolution). If you wanna get obscure, there's also 1800p which would be 3k (3200 horizontal resolution), 2880p which would be 5k (5120 horizontal), and 4320p which is 8k (7680 horizontal)

Edit: Wikipedia 2k technically 1080p isn't 2k by official standards, but it sure as fuck isn't called 1k, and there's no mentions of 1440p at all
    Last edited by Temp name; 2019-05-13 at 08:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    I generally do not comment on these sorts of things because it doesn't contribute and only invokes flaming.
    But good Lord I had a small aneurysm reading that.
    You should seek a doctor then aneurysm is not a good thing to get. I seriously hope you are well.

The reason for my over dramatic response is I simply hate people when they change the meaning of something so its illogical.
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

15+ Year Old Account
    You should seek a doctor then aneurysm is not a good thing to get. I seriously hope you are well.

The reason for my over dramatic response is I simply hate people when they change the meaning of something so its illogical.
    Kinda lost me here, can't read the after-lying thought of that whether it's sarcasm or not :P
    I actually meant it in a fashion that I agreed with your statement.
    "A quantum supercomputer calculating for a thousand years could not even approach the number of fucks I do not give."
    - Kirito, Sword Art Online Abridged by Something Witty Entertainment

That there is the reason people getting more dumb.

Please stop contributing to the stupidity of the world.
    When someone isnt capable to comprehend intelligent people, they think they are stupid and can't justify themselves.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    Kinda lost me here, can't read the after-lying thought of that whether it's sarcasm or not :P
    I actually meant it in a fashion that I agreed with your statement.
    Ohh. I misunderstood you. In that case carry on and sorry
    Inactive Wow Player Raider.IO | Inactive D3 Player | Permanent Retired EVE Player | Inactive Wot Player | Retired Openraid Raid Leader| Inactive Overwatch Player | Inactive HotS player | Youtube / Twitter | Steam | My Setup

10+ Year Old Account
    I had a 1070ti and it would be pinned at 100 percent to run my old 4k monitor even on low settings.

No. People like to refer 1440p to 2k (1080p to 1k and 3840p to 4k). It is much easier to remember 1/2/4 than 1080/1440/3840 and whatever stands for 8k. So lets keep using it.

... you didn't even get it right in your example. You conflated 2 vertical resolutions with a horizontal one.

It isn't "1080/1440/3840". Itd be 1080, 1440, 2160.

You use the HORIZONTAL resolution to determine the lazy-ass "2k, 4k, im too lazy to use the actual terminology" shorthand.

1920, 2560, and 3820.

You can reasonably round 1920 up to 2k. You CANNOT reasonably round 2560 in EITHER direction, and you round 3820 up to 4k.

Words get their meaning from what people think of when they use the word. It is nice to know what they truly stand for but the most important is to know what people think it means when they use it.
    No, words mean what they are defined to mean, not what "people think they mean".

Precision is important.

1440p is NOT "2k".

In fact, the whole "2k, 3k, 4k" thing is used in the shorthand for primarily TELEVISIONS, not monitors.

If there were going to be a "2k" it would be 1920x1080.

As it is, there IS a standard called "2k" - its for Theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    ... you didn't even get it right in your example. You conflated 2 vertical resolutions with a horizontal one.

It isn't "1080/1440/3840". Itd be 1080, 1440, 2160.

You use the HORIZONTAL resolution to determine the lazy-ass "2k, 4k, im too lazy to use the actual terminology" shorthand.

1920, 2560, and 3820.

You can reasonably round 1920 up to 2k. You CANNOT reasonably round 2560 in EITHER direction, and you round 3820 up to 4k.

No, words mean what they are defined to mean, not what "people think they mean".

Precision is important.

1440p is NOT "2k".

In fact, the whole "2k, 3k, 4k" thing is used in the shorthand for primarily TELEVISIONS, not monitors.

If there were going to be a "2k" it would be 1920x1080.

As it is, there IS a standard called "2k" - its for Theaters.
    Your comment is a great example demonstrating why it is more practical to use the terminologies 1k/2k/4k/8k.
    Everyone understands that 1k stands for vertical 1080p , 2k 1440p, 4k 2160p.
    Look how effective it is, we can talk about 2k ultrawide and understand that we would have the same resolution as a regular 2k monitor that has been extended.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your comment is a great example demonstrating why it is more practical to use the terminologies 1k/2k/4k/8k.
    Everyone understands that 1k stands for vertical 1080p , 2k 1440p, 4k 2160p.
    Look how effective it is, we can talk about 2k ultrawide and understand that we would have the same resolution as a regular 2k monitor that has been extended.
    What? No, that's only you who thinks that

4k 60fps+ three is only 1 option a rtx 2080 ti they way to costly atm. Ive been using a pg278q since release 1440p 144hz i recently bought a zowie 27inch 240hz 1080p i mainly play fps and 240hz is amazing. With wow i just upscale to get that nice look

Hi mate, I play 4k at home, i5 4670k and an RX 480 (a little lower than your specs). Plays OK depending on game, definitely not a stable 60fps. 4k is a little hard to run perfectly right now the hardware just isn't quite there yet. You'll be able to run any game probably, but don't expect maxed out graphics.
    Last edited by Oncereborn; 2019-05-20 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    What? No, that's only you who thinks that
    You have the right to remain stubborn. But yes people totally understand 1k/2k/4k/8k.

10+ Year Old Account
    You have the right to remain stubborn. But yes people totally understand 1k/2k/4k/8k.
    But there's literally no standard called 1k. 2k isn't even technically a computer resolution, but it's so close that it's acceptable ("Real" 2k is 2048x1080). People who call 1080p 1k are idiots who don't know better, and they should be educated to know the proper names of the standards they're talking about

Quote Originally Posted by Temp name View Post
    But there's literally no standard called 1k. 2k isn't even technically a computer resolution, but it's so close that it's acceptable ("Real" 2k is 2048x1080). People who call 1080p 1k are idiots who don't know better, and they should be educated to know the proper names of the standards they're talking about
    Man... I don't even know why you are arguing. You don't even know what you are arguing for. Listen, the real terminologies are 1080p, 1440p... But a lot of people decided to simply use 1k/2k/4k instead. You can either use your brain and understand what they mean or you can be an idiot protector of terminologies and have to explain yourself everytime you read 1k/2k/4k which everyone use on reddit thousands of times per day.