Poll: What do you prefer?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Smile Monogamous men in Swaziland don't have to go to jail

Poll: What do you prefer? Monogamy (single partner) / Polygamy (multiple partners) / MMO-C (no partners)
    (plz use these definitions for the sake of discussion)

Monogamous men in Swaziland are relieved, they don't have to go to jail

Less appealing guys in Swaziland will be cold this week. The Zambian Observer headed Monday that the king of Swaziland, Mswati III, would like to force men in his country to marry more than one woman from June.

If the men do not do that, wrote the Zambian news website, they will receive a prison sentence.

The message went viral on social media. Mswati III is the last absolute ruling monarch on the African continent. He has the power to actually enforce every rule that comes to mind. Last year he changed the official name of his country with one stroke of the pen: Swaziland became eSwatini. Not very practical for all nameplates, international conventions and atlases. But that's just the way he wanted it. Moreover, the 51-year-old monarch is known as an avid polygamist. He has fourteen women and chooses one more almost every year. His father, Sobhuza II, came to seventy women and 210 children, Mswati III was child number 67.

The fake news about the polygamous constraint turned out to be so credible that the royal family was forced to issue an official press release in which the king seriously promised not to lock up men because of monogamy.

That's a good thing too. King Mswati III - estimated capital: 180 million euros - has no problem maintaining an army of women. But 40 percent of its million subjects live on less than 1.70 euros a day. For many men, an obligatory extra marriage would be an economic blow. And besides: only 94 women live in eSwatini per 94 men. The competition would be fierce.

Source

Slightly Off-topic, but families that big sound like a huge case for neglect.

eSwatini sounds like a cheap dating website from the 90s.

I was in a polygamous relationship for 7 years, it was absolutely wonderful until the one woman decided we should have kids and the other woman and I didn't want them, so she left and the dynamic was never the same.

I'm still pro polygamy though

"only 94 women live in eSwatini per 94 men"

"want to split the bill 50 50?"

"No, I want to split it 267 267!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah monogamy I’m not ok with the idea of other dudes in my wife or sharing I’m too possessive for that bullshit.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I used to live in Swaziland but I was too young to remember the crazy shit that goes on there lol. Legend has it they had a king who had 100 women who each bore him 100 children which seems biologically impossible but nevertheless betrays a cultural aspiration.

What happened to the name change?
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Software View Post
    Poll: What do you prefer? Monogamy (single partner) / Polygamy (multiple partners) / MMO-C (no partners)
    (plz use these definitions for the sake of discussion)

Monogamous men in Swaziland are relieved, they don't have to go to jail
    Damn, what did child #67 have to do to take the throne from his siblings?

Feelings on polygamy? It's fine in a consensual all-parties-equal context, but I doubt the women here can leave the relationship.

Feelings on monarchy? It's bad.

Quote Originally Posted by roboscorcher View Post
    Feelings on polygamy? It's fine in a consensual all-parties-equal context, but I doubt the women here can leave the relationship.
    Well don't quote me on this but I am pretty sure Swaziland is *respectably* progressive on women's rights even if they do have some odd traditions.
    Last edited by Afrospinach; 2019-05-16 at 02:27 PM.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

Quote Originally Posted by roboscorcher View Post
    Damn, what did child #67 have to do to take the throne from his siblings?
    I fear for the lives of the first 66 hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Yeah monogamy I’m not ok with the idea of other dudes in my wife or sharing I’m too possessive for that bullshit.
    Think multiple wives you don't have to share...

Quote Originally Posted by Afrospinach View Post
    I used to live in Swaziland but I was too young to remember the crazy shit that goes on there lol. Legend has it they had a king who had 100 women who each bore him 100 children which seems biologically impossible but nevertheless betrays a cultural aspiration.

What happened to the name change?
    How's it biologically impossible?

Do they have their own version of game of thrones going on there? seeing as child 67 is the one to make it to the throne?

Reforged Gone Wrong The Stormbringer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by Software View Post
    I fear for the lives of the first 66 hehe

Think multiple wives you don't have to share...
    No thank you. What would you even do with multiple wives? Even having a single partner is enough to gobble up huge amounts of time, thought, and effort. More than one? No, not interested. Now, if they were also allowed to have other husbands, so I'm not their sole provider and the only person they come to for attention, sure, I guess. If polygamy is required by law, the best way to do it is to go both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Daedius View Post
    takes about 75 years minimum to have 100 children. add 10-15 orso for minimum childbearing age, maybe remove 10-15 orso to account for a couple of twins.

how many pregnant 75 year old have you ever seen?

In case you didn't just forget to use a /sarcasm tag...

"100 women who each bore him 100 children"

If the "women" started having babies at the age of 13, got pregnant immediately upon giving birth after an average of 9 months, they'd have to do so until they were 88 years old. Given the average life expectancy and the average onset of menopause... "biologically impossible" makes sense to me.

Extra points to @horbindr for remembering twins

Quote Originally Posted by horbindr View Post
    takes about 75 years minimum to have 100 children. add 10-15 orso for minimum childbearing age, maybe remove 10-15 orso to account for a couple of twins.

how many pregnant 75 year old have you ever seen?
    Quote Originally Posted by DSRilk View Post

If the "women" started having babies at the age of 13, got pregnant immediately upon giving birth after an average of 9 months, they'd have to do so until they were 88 years old. Given the average life expectancy and the average onset of menopause... "biologically impossible" makes sense to me.

I was thinking more so along the lines of 100 children overall, not per woman...

I was thinking more so along the lines of 100 children overall, not per woman...

Yes, 100 children total from 100 women would be well within the realm of the possible. Still an horrific concept as a parent... trying to be a father to 100 kids... <shudder>. Then again, trying to deal with 100 wives... that's far, far worse

Triplets every 9 months comes up to 25 years of babymaking. So that part is theoretically possible. Now, we might be back to biologically impossible, but this time due to the human body not surviving pregnancy that many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Aedrielle View Post
    Triplets every 9 months comes up to 25 years of babymaking. So that part is theoretically possible. Now, we might be back to biologically impossible, but this time due to the human body not surviving pregnancy that many times.
    I'm just reminded of the look of terror on parents faces upon learning they're having triplets. Imagine trying for just a fourth child and ending up with a second set of triplets. Now imagine the wife's reaction when her husband says, "Okay, honey, just 98 more sets of triplets to go..." I suspect it would end in violence of some sort.

I'm just reminded of the look of terror on parents faces upon learning they're having triplets. Imagine trying for just a fourth child and ending up with a second set of triplets. Now imagine the wife's reaction when her husband says, "Okay, honey, just 98 more sets of triplets to go..." I suspect it would end in violence of some sort.
    I can imagine it's news of financial catastrophy sort for many parents