Page 3 of 61 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    I'm just interested in this movie because of Denis Villeneuve.

Amazing director.

If you havent seen his film prisoners I suggest you check it out, great film
    Last edited by RobertoCarlos; 2019-05-17 at 08:06 AM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    is Dune the one with the giant sandworms?
    I still remember playing dune 2000

Is that on steam? I wonder
    Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-05-17 at 08:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontenac View Post
    Jason Momoa: Duncan Idaho
    Interesting choice. I love Jason to death, but he doesn't strike me as a Duncan. And not just because the hair is totally and completely wrong (black Karakul has been Duncan's trademark throughout the books). Momoa also has this innate sense of humor that doesn't really gel with Idaho's character. But we'll see.

Chang Chen: Dr Wellington Huey
    That's YUE, not Huey. At least in the books. Hope they didn't change that for no reason.

Stellan Skarsgard: Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
    Now this is very interesting. I think this might be a great choice, actually, depending on how they get the fat to work.

Charlotte Rampling: Reverand Mother Gaius Helena Mohiam
    Helen, not Helena. I'm not sure I like Rampling here, she seems to... jovial. Her face is too round. Bene Gesserit always struck me as lean and mean, for the most part (with some noted exceptions).

Javier Bardem: Stilgar
    Mhmmm maybe? Not sure if he can pull off Stilgar's gruff authority, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Zendaya: Chani
    BUT CHANI IS A REDHEAD! AAAAAAH.

Stephen McKinley Henderson: TBA, but my bet is on either Thufir Hawat or Padishah Emperor Shaddam Corrino IV
    Must be Thufir, he's the only big character missing that has the right age. Shaddam, while portrayed as an old man in the Lynch film, is specifically mentioned to not look that old in the books (and he's a redhead, too).

Notably absent from that list is Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen, I guess that part of the storyline might be saved for the second film.

I'm anxious to see what they do with the film. It runs the risk of slipping into contemporary cliches about the Middle East and Islam, which I pray they avoid as they weren't present in that way in the original. I also hope they do justice to the intricacies of the politics and the religious motives involved. The Lynch film just glossed over those and largely ignored them. Please don't turn this into a generic SF epic that just happens to be set on a desert planet. That's not what Dune is about.

I'm anxious to see what they do with the film. It runs the risk of slipping into contemporary cliches about the Middle East and Islam, which I pray they avoid as they weren't present in that way in the original. I also hope they do justice to the intricacies of the politics and the religious motives involved. The Lynch film just glossed over those and largely ignored them. Please don't turn this into a generic SF epic that just happens to be set on a desert planet. That's not what Dune is about.
    The paralells are so central to the plot that it's hard to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ihavewaffles View Post
    I still remember playing dune 2000

Is that on steam? I wonder
    Dune games are in copyright hell. Dune 2000 should have been freeware by now, but you can "acquire" it or play it on OpenRA for free.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korru View Post
    Dune games are in copyright hell. Dune 2000 should have been freeware by now, but you can "acquire" it or play it on OpenRA for free.
    Thx! I'll try it out

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biomega View Post
    Interesting choice. I love Jason to death, but he doesn't strike me as a Duncan. And not just because the hair is totally and completely wrong (black Karakul has been Duncan's trademark throughout the books). Momoa also has this innate sense of humor that doesn't really gel with Idaho's character. But we'll see.
    Jason Momoa is black haired. I don't see what is the problem here. Besides, let's be honest here. Duncan Idaho is a major character in the whole saga, but a minor one in Dune, appearing only in the first tome. We will only see him in the first movie, and he wont have a lot of lines.

That's YUE, not Huey. At least in the books. Hope they didn't change that for no reason.
    You're right, I spelled that one wrong. But it's Yueh. I knew there was an "h" somewhere.

Now this is very interesting. I think this might be a great choice, actually, depending on how they get the fat to work.
    That's my main concern. Ian McNeice was really good in the tv mini-series. He had the right girth... Let's hope the prosthetics will be convincing.

Helen, not Helena. I'm not sure I like Rampling here, she seems to... jovial. Her face is too round. Bene Gesserit always struck me as lean and mean, for the most part (with some noted exceptions).
    She's a great actress, I'm sure she can manage... And no, they do not all look like mean witches like Mohiam. Lady Jessica did not. Princess Irulan is said to be gorgeous and is a Bene Gesserit. Darwi Odrade is not described as mean looking, and Bellona was certainly not lean... And Rampling does not look that "round" to me. She'll be perfect.

BUT CHANI IS A REDHEAD! AAAAAAH.
    She can dye her hair, you know?

Must be Thufir, he's the only big character missing that has the right age. Shaddam, while portrayed as an old man in the Lynch film, is specifically mentioned to not look that old in the books (and he's a redhead, too).
    I agree. But it all depends on how Villeneuve perceives the Emperor. Who is the mastermind? Who is the main villain? Shaddam IV, or the Baron? David Lynch chose the Baron and made the Emperor mostly inept. Physical appearance and age can convey weakness and ineptitude. However, I would prefer if the Emperor looked strong. Actors like Charles Dance or Bill Nighy would be great in the role.

Notably absent from that list is Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen, I guess that part of the storyline might be saved for the second film.
    That list is not exhaustive. We don't know yet who will play Princess Irulan, Reverend Mother Ramallo, Kynes (father and son) or if the Fenrings will even appear.

In two movies, there is ample time to expose the political and religious motives of the story. Lynch didn't have that chance, as the producer imposed severe cuts to the movie.

If I am allowed one piece of advice: let's keep an open mind and try not to be nitpicky. An adaptation will never be exactly as in the book. It's impossible. A movie director is also an artist, and even the best movie adaptation, while conveying the author's vision, will also convey the director's vision, values and sensibilities. So it is a given that Villeneuve's Paul Atreides won't be exactly Frank Herbert's Paul and it certainly won't be "our" Paul. Will Villeneuve retain the old 19th century regalia of the Atreides and Emperor's uniforms, or will he take a more futuristic approach? Will the Fremen look like bedouins or tuaregs, or will they look entirely different? Fans feel too much entitled as to what and how their favorite novels, tv or movie franchises should be. And they always end up disappointed, because they piss in their own soup. Let's not spoil our fun.
    Last edited by Frontenac; 2019-05-17 at 03:33 PM.
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Breccia View Post
    It won't have Patrick Stewart. That's a strike against it already.
    The funny thing about that is I always imagined Gurney Halleck as this big, burly guy when I read the book. Then he was played by Patrick Stewart in the movie. He still made a good fit for the character, but I never imagined Patrick Stewart as Gurney at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Shibito View Post
    is Dune the one with the giant sandworms?
    Yah
    Not really excited about this. I don't think they will be able to top the David Lynch version. A lot of people hate that version but it was great. Had a great cast and good direction. Hated the sci-fi miniseries version too.

The Lightbringer
    7+ Year Old Account
    I wonder if there was a DVD with ALL the cut scenes from Lynch's DUNE. Probably not. Would love a director's cut, with all the content that didn't make it to the theatrical release.
    /spit@Blizzard

Quote Originally Posted by Fabinas View Post
    I wonder if there was a DVD with ALL the cut scenes from Lynch's DUNE. Probably not. Would love a director's cut, with all the content that didn't make it to the theatrical release.
    That thing is like 15+ years old i owned it once.
    I would get the BlueRay but not the fake 3D version.

5+ Year Old Account
    https://www.cinemablend.com/news/247...rapped-filming

The Dune Movie Has Officially Wrapped Filming.

Apparently the cast had a lot of praise for how Blade Runner 2049 director Denis Villeneuve ran the set of the movie and a positive view of the director from the cast can only bode well for Dune.

Now Dune will move into the long process of post-production. For the next 14 months or so, the science fiction film will be scored (by Hans Zimmer), edited and what is sure to be an extensive amount of visual effects work will be done. It’s still a long ways off, but the first big chunk has been completed.

It is important to note that Denis Villeneuve’s Dune will only cover the first half of Frank Herbert’s 1965 novel. The plan is that this will be the first of at least two films, with the rest of the first book covered in the second film.

Denis Villeneuve would have liked to have filmed the first two movies at the same time-- but instead they will be filmed separately.

10+ Year Old Account
    https://www.cinemablend.com/news/247...rapped-filming

The Dune Movie Has Officially Wrapped Filming.

Apparently the cast had a lot of praise for how Blade Runner 2049 director Denis Villeneuve ran the set of the movie and a positive view of the director from the cast can only bode well for Dune.

Now Dune will move into the long process of post-production. For the next 14 months or so, the science fiction film will be scored (by Hans Zimmer), edited and what is sure to be an extensive amount of visual effects work will be done. It’s still a long ways off, but the first big chunk has been completed.

It is important to note that Denis Villeneuve’s Dune will only cover the first half of Frank Herbert’s 1965 novel. The plan is that this will be the first of at least two films, with the rest of the first book covered in the second film.

Denis Villeneuve would have liked to have filmed the first two movies at the same time-- but instead they will be filmed separately.
    I'm disppointed with the choice of Hans Zimmer for the soundtrack. I find his music brooding and gloomy. You feel like it's building up to something and then... nothing. A five minutes long intro that ends with a coda. It sets an atmosphere, for sure, but all his pieces sound the same to me. There is no real melody. You wont see fans singing the main theme. Because as soon as the music stops playing, you forget how it goes... Oh well, it means I will probably do like everyone else during the credits: leave the room.

5+ Year Old Account
    I'm disppointed with the choice of Hans Zimmer for the soundtrack. I find his music brooding and gloomy. You feel like it's building up to something and then... nothing. A five minutes long intro that ends with a coda. It sets an atmosphere, for sure, but all his pieces sound the same to me. There is no real melody. You wont see fans singing the main theme. Because as soon as the music stops playing, you forget how it goes... Oh well, it means I will probably do like everyone else during the credits: leave the room.
    The dark knight, blade runner 2049, pirates of the caribbean, gladiator..but has lots of general forgetable stuff...

He is the ridley scott of movie music, lots of hits n misses..

10+ Year Old Account
    The dark knight, blade runner 2049, pirates of the caribbean, gladiator..but has lots of general forgetable stuff...

He is the ridley scott of movie music, lots of hits n misses..
    The Dark Knight is one good exemple of what I am saying. Compare it to Danny Elfman theme. You could tell it's Batman's theme from the first notes. As for the Dark Knight... meh. Or take John William's Superman theme. Is there anything more iconic? Now listen to The Man of Steel theme... There's nothing that gets you hooked. Now, I'm not saying Zimmer is a bad composer (I do like Pirates of the Caribbean theme). He's very good at setting up an atmosphere and really that's what you want in a soundtrack. The music is there for the movie. But, yeah, like I said: too brooding, too gloomy, too dark. Now is it Zimmer's fault or is it the movies that are too dark?

5+ Year Old Account
    Many composers today sound the same..
    But I'm sure Dennis will get the sound he wants out of zimmer..get something that is at least passable..

I'm mostly concerned about the boyband looking actor that will play paul atreides..that could ruin the movie for me..even his name sounds girlish..

Last edited by Ihavewaffles; 2019-08-02 at 08:00 PM.

Many composers today sound the same..
    But I'm sure Dennis will get the sound he wants out of zimmer..get something that is at least passable..

I'm mostly concerned about the boyband looking actor that will play paul atreides..that could ruin the movie for me..even his name sounds girlish..

Paul is supposed to be a young-looking 15 year old and you want him to look like a 30+ year old, grizzled Sean Connery?

Man i really hope this will be good.
    Do you hear the voices too?

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhrizzle View Post
    Paul is supposed to be a young-looking 15 year old and you want him to look like a 30+ year old, grizzled Sean Connery?
    No, but not every 15 year old looks like an effiminate wimp..

Good thing that there's some good actors to help carry movie..imagine if star wars rested on mark hamill n didn't have harrison ford, alec guiness to help carry movie..

No, but not every 15 year old looks like an effiminate wimp..

Good thing that there's some good actors to help carry movie..imagine if star wars rested on mark hamill n didn't have harrison ford, alec guiness to help carry movie..
    Thats quite a hot take.

Always a laugh when people pretend Mark Hamill isnt a fantastic actor. He became iconic with one role and star wars would have never of worked if you didnt care for Luke. So...