Page 1 of 2
LastLast

How is “IZ NOSTALGIA” an argument when vanilla has been hugely popular for years?

Please enlighten me as to how you can tell hundreds of thousands of players who have been playing vanilla on private servers for years, that it’s all nostalgia? I logged on to a server yesterday and played for about 3 hours, I’ve logged on to a PS nearly every day for the better part of 5 years, I’ve played vanilla, bc, and wrath on and off, but by far the most time spent has been on vanilla and it’s the iteration of the game that I prefer, are you telling me I’m just fondly remembering gaming in my teenage years and that I just hate the game I’m currently playing? How do you all not understand that the most vocal of the classic community are current vanilla players who know exactly what game they want and what game they’re getting

How about you just ignore when people say that? I thought we were over this argument already.

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair private servers are a weird argument considerin alot of people just play it because its free.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Crabs have been removed from the game... because if I see another one I’m just going to totally lose it. *sobbing* I’m sorry, I just can’t right now... I just... OK just give me a minute, I’ll be OK..

10+ Year Old Account
    To be fair, it being nostalgia isnt a bad thing. ITs those reasons I return to my N64 gaming days and replay Mario 64 or Legend of Zelda or Banjo Kazooie...

I don;t understand why Nostalgia became such a naughty word when in regards to WoW. For me, it being nostalgia is why I want to return to classic... saying that I wont be able to do half the things I did 15 years ago, but thats a whole new barrel of fish :P
    I love Warcraft, I dislike WoW

Unsubbed since January 2021, now a Warcraft fan from a distance

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MardestyGSOG View Post
    Please enlighten me as to how you can tell hundreds of thousands of players who have been playing vanilla on private servers for years, that it’s all nostalgia? I logged on to a server yesterday and played for about 3 hours, I’ve logged on to a PS nearly every day for the better part of 5 years, I’ve played vanilla, bc, and wrath on and off, but by far the most time spent has been on vanilla and it’s the iteration of the game that I prefer, are you telling me I’m just fondly remembering gaming in my teenage years and that I just hate the game I’m currently playing? How do you all not understand that the most vocal of the classic community are current vanilla players who know exactly what game they want and what game they’re getting
    You can't really compared the population of private servers to the potential population of Classic. It is a very specific type of people, that seek out private servers and it is far from the core playerbase of WoW, and potentially Classic.

Also, it is still an arguement about it being bad, because hundreds of thousands of people can still enjoy something, that is generally seen as bad. Just look at alot of movies. Nostalgia glasses is still an argument against people, who romantizize memories, just look at the people complaining about "bugs", who are actually features xD
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

The better question is, why do you care? All "it's just nostalgia" or "classic will kill retail" subjects should be made into their own megathreads so they can be ignored more easily.

Presumably, if you genuinely like Classic (and I think a decent amount of people do) then you'll play it despite some rando on the internet telling you you like it only because of nostalgia.

Please enlighten me as to how you can tell hundreds of thousands of players who have been playing vanilla on private servers for years, that it’s all nostalgia?
    Very easily since Private Servers are not authentic and every single private server had to make up numbers for NPC abilities, proc rates, and spawn times.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

Quote Originally Posted by seleri View Post
    The better question is, why do you care? All "it's just nostalgia" or "classic will kill retail" subjects should be made into their own megathreads so they can be ignored more easily.

Presumably, if you genuinely like Classic (and I think a decent amount of people do) then you'll play it despite some rando on the internet telling you you like it only because of nostalgia.
    its not necessarily that I care, it’s just that I have this urge to know how you can tell someone that the game they’re currently playing is a game they don’t like. It’s like me being halfway through eating a delicious ribeye in front of someone who prefers filet and they tell me I’m not actually enjoying my steak because it’s not their preference. I just wanna know

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zyky View Post
    Very easily since Private Servers are not authentic and every single private server had to make up numbers for NPC abilities, proc rates, and spawn times.

Same game with slightly different tuning, not nearly enough to back up the nostalgia argument in regards to current players

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    To be fair private servers are a weird argument considerin alot of people just play it because its free.

Not true. Most of the private server community has been asking for official blizzard servers for years and most of them are on world chat hyping up classic.

its not necessarily that I care, it’s just that I have this urge to know how you can tell someone that the game they’re currently playing is a game they don’t like. It’s like me being halfway through eating a delicious ribeye in front of someone who prefers filet and they tell me I’m not actually enjoying my steak because it’s not their preference. I just wanna know
    I think the only thing that engaging with those types leads to is frustration and wasted time but it's your life to live.

The thing is, you will mostly see these type of people on MMO-Champion, and if you like Classic over BfA, you shouldn't visit MMO-Champion. I almost never post and usually just lurk. The Classic subforum is a ghost town, even this close to release and during the closed beta, and the few threads active are 90% filled with arrogant, narcissistic General Discussion spillover who apparently can't deal with Classic being successful in the slightest.

You can't ever have a civil, healthy discussion about Classic on MMO-Champion. It's a bastion for the nay-sayers. It's like going to Resetera to discuss video games. There are much better parts of the internet where you can have those discussions without having to be berated for trying to discuss it.

What do you mean by hugely polular? What has been the overall playerbase size of private servers? 3% of retail? 6%? I wouldn't call that "hugely" popular.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    What do you mean by hugely polular? What has been the overall playerbase size of private servers? 3% of retail? 6%? I wouldn't call that "hugely" popular.
    considering its “illegal“ and a lot of people who want classic won’t play private servers for that reason alone, along with private servers being at risk of shutting down any day, a worldwide regular player base of roughly 10k for ONLY vanilla(not counting tbc and wrath servers with plenty of players who will surely join classic) is not bad at all.

All things considered, yes the vanilla community that has been on private servers all these years has been pretty damn big. It doesn’t have to be as big as retail, not even close, and it won’t be, but the amount of people who will play it will likely shatter the private server numbers and be more than enough to keep the game alive and justify the costs which are gonna be a fraction of love development

The ''its just nostalgia'' excuse was never even a proper argument to begin with. There is no way for anyone to be in a position to tell somebody else that they like something purely off nostalgia, unless you know him well enough IRL and have experienced it with him. You can think that vanilla WoW is an inferior product and that time has not been kind to its quality, but that will be just your opinion that shouldn't be used as a fact or anything.

When I see these kind of people I jsut assume that they are actually mad at BFA for being so shit, but they need something to vent at on these forums so they do so on the one thing people talk about a lot and they are not interested in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiskra View Post
    The thing is, you will mostly see these type of people on MMO-Champion, and if you like Classic over BfA, you shouldn't visit MMO-Champion. I almost never post and usually just lurk. The Classic subforum is a ghost town, even this close to release and during the closed beta, and the few threads active are 90% filled with arrogant, narcissistic General Discussion spillover who apparently can't deal with Classic being successful in the slightest.

You can't ever have a civil, healthy discussion about Classic on MMO-Champion. It's a bastion for the nay-sayers. It's like going to Resetera to discuss video games. There are much better parts of the internet where you can have those discussions without having to be berated for trying to discuss it.

This is true, I’ve noticed this place is pretty classic-unfriendly, every thread seems to fall into a turd flinging match with pro classic players being the target

considering its “illegal“ and a lot of people who want classic won’t play private servers for that reason alone
    Are you new to the internet? When has that ever stopped vast amounts of people from pirating stuff etc.?

Are you new to the internet? When has that ever stopped vast amounts of people from pirating stuff etc.?
    Hypocrites, you mean to tell me you haven’t seen the big old crowd of anti-vanilla folks on their moral high ground telling private server players that they’re scum for playing on pirated servers?

Hypocrites, you mean to tell me you haven’t seen the big old crowd of anti-vanilla folks on their moral high ground telling private server players that they’re scum for playing on pirated servers?
    That has nothing got to do with my question. Are you done playing the victim or can we get a discussion going on that?

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I remember "private servers" existing back in Vanilla (I can only assume they were a total mess). I guess the official game must have sucked as well back then... or could have there been another reason for their popularity?

The fear of a corrupt admin allowing gold farmers to operate for a fee and then running away with their money sure does. Or a project with 5 years worth of donations suddenly vanishing without even launching. Most private servers don't last for long, the only reason there's a big private server at the moment is because part of the team from the previous corrupt server "stole" all their code before they shut down and formed a new project.

Was it all a ruse to start a new fresh project with a clean slate? Nobody knows. But you can't go more than 5 minutes without receiving a whisper to buy gold from some Chinese website. I've lost many characters over the years and so did a bunch of my friends. Many of them didn't give it another shot because losing a character you've invested a year into and then repeating the process all over again isn't something most people can do.

stretching the definition of hugely popular doesn't make it so.