Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryColor View Post
    Ask the people responsible? There's no Republican conspiracy to take away minorities voting rights.
    You mean the republicans who are trying to prevent the poor and minorities from voting?

- - - Updated - - -

But there's not more than 2 Democrats who are racists? Enough with the partisan tribalism, there is multiple terrible people in every party.
    BoTh SiDeS

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    You mean the republicans who are trying to prevent the poor and minorities from voting?

- - - Updated - - -

BoTh SiDeS
    You know that's not true, there's no Republican conspiracy to take away their voting rights.

7+ Year Old Account
    You know that's not true, there's no Republican conspiracy to take away their voting rights.
    You know that’s not true. The republicans have been trying to limit voting for years now.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Noxx79 View Post
    You know that’s not true. The republicans have been trying to limit voting for years now.
    Yeah for illegals. Any legal people can very easily vote in any state.

10+ Year Old Account
    Slavery means the slave has to work for the master. Commiting a crime and then sitting in a prison not doing anything is not slavery. It takes a lot of drama and exaggeration to claim they are the same thing.
    Working without pay is slavery.

Prisoners work without pay. It is literally the exception to the 13th.
    Putin khuliyo

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

Ok do you have a source for what the work was and how many worked in 2018 or 2019?

If they are repaying a debt or picking up trash that would be a good idea. If they are forced to work in fields that would be messed up.

I only feel guilty about things i have done. So nope pretty much nothing

10+ Year Old Account
    Ok do you have a source for what the work was and how many worked in 2018 or 2019?

If they are repaying a debt or picking up trash that would be a good idea. If they are forced to work in fields that would be messed up.
    Whether they worked in a field is irrelevant
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post

In Sweden the goverment tried to make my gf work without pay (praktik) trying to fool her oh that way you might easier get work later. I told her, no way thats slavery.

Quote Originally Posted by igualitarist View Post
    Because thats a source of political capital for many politicians.
    This is probably the most appropriate answer, although it can be broadened to include people/groups that can't make a factual argument that's convincing (usually because of a lack of or no facts supporting their arguments). These parties can actually be the same. When someone lacks any foundation for their points of view or opinions, they generally devolve into emotional arguments, and guilt is a very popular one. You see me mention this quite a bit in my responses, where I parse information/stories/etc. and can immediately spot when the arguments are trying to exploit emotion due to a lack of evidence.

I wouldn't say this is necessarily a Western culture thing, but I think there's more of an argument that when any society enjoys peace and prosperity for a long time, they tend to get complacent and lose focus on what really matters. They'll end up taking things for granted, as they fall into moral decay if they cannot maintain focus on the important things in life. How does this tie into guilt? Simply put, such societies start making up problems and issues when there lacks any real difficult issues, and they generally tie emotions like guilt to this to incite conflict and dissension. These take the form of manufactured crisis, which get hyped up and are emotionally driven... when in reality they're just stupid and pointless and completely on the fringe.

What's the solution? Well, that's not so simple. If the society falls into such disarray due to focusing on the dumbest things that it ignores real problems and issues, then the populace may snap out of their malaise and refocus their energies on important things. If you want to avoid the ruination or collapse of a society being the impetus, I'd hope people realize that focusing on superficial things instead of bettering themselves is ridiculous before it's too late.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah for illegals. Any legal people can very easily vote in any state.
    Sure, that’s why courts have ruled otherwise.

There is no illegal voting problem, but you know this, you’re just playing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
    Nowt wrong with that. Just don't blame people now because their great grandpa was a twat.
    And no one should.

10+ Year Old Account
    What is this conflation of learning history with guilt tripping people to feeling awful for something you had no influence over?

Quote Originally Posted by JMvS View Post
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...ies_in_history

Plus other sources

Paris was in the 200K range in 1500, not 70K... and that is even down from 280K in 1400.

Antwerp and Bruges were in the 100-200K range between the 15th and 16th centuries due to them very prominent ports at that precise point in History, before being overtaken by Amsterdam. Flanders were then the heartland of the West.

Venice's population was 100K at least in those times, and estimates go up to 180K.

Why are you fixated on the 50-70K ceiling? That was the population of London at the time, but many Cities were much bigger, England being an agricultural peripheral country, whose main riches was the wool it would send to the Flanders where it was processed (proto industrialization).

You were speaking of Spaniards invading Tenochtitlan, and I have made clear that in the Old World they left there were many Cities past 100K, with some even past 200K, and Spaniards of all people would have been knowledgeable of those, since they were part of an empire that sprawled from the North Sea to Sicily. Flanders had big Cities, even Spain had some (just before Reconquista Granada had more than 100K, and still held 90K in 1500, with advanced water management techniques). Naples and soon Palermo were also part of that same Mediterranean empire, who would of course know of a ressurected Constantinople, especially since the new Ottoman power is what blocked trade to them and made them go West.

As for China they knew of Marco Polo's tales, and many missionaries and envoys had reached the Emperors court as early as the 14th century. In 1500 Vasco de Gama had already sailed to India, and less than 20 years later others would sail to China... right before Cortez went to Mexico.
    Antwerp in the 16th century was not that huge I was just looking at the historical populations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antwer...cal_population it is literally in the wiki.

Tenochitilan fell in 1521 Antwerps population between 1500-1526 was 41-50k mid 16th century they had huge growth but not at the time of the fall of Tenochitilan.

I'm aware of the few explorers that were exploring at that time but for the people who were there taking over Tehnochitilan it was likely the largest city they'd ever seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Zython View Post
    It's interesting that you're claiming that the West(TM) solved slavery and lynching when the US has a larger percentage of the population locked up than the Gulag Archipelago, and police are murdering black people at a rate higher than the peak of Jim Crow-era lynchings.
    None of this is true, but why would that stop you when counter evidence is so obvious and the narrative you hold is so emotionally important?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hilhen7 View Post
    So why the need to purge voter rolls so aggressively and close polling stations in areas with minorities..?
    Are you saying those two ideas conclude that voter identification is indeed taking away people's rights?

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    "I don't see how remembering the holocaust is relevant to American politics today where Neo nazi feel emboldened by a president and have been shooting up several synagogues and marching to killing jews. Why is the holocaust relevant?"

It isn't about feeling guilt it is about remember history... nothing about this is about get back for some reason you seem to think the mere mention of history and remembering it is an attack on you... which is a fucking weird train of thought.

Jim Crow era essentially shaped the situation black Americans are in today... Most of gen Y are either only 1 or two generations removed from Jim Crow, and being that we know it takes several generations to really break out of an economic standing it is important to remember history since history plays a part in how the world is shaped
    Black generations have only gotten poorer and less educated since the end of Jim Crow(relative to whites). That's not an endorsement of Jim Crow, but Jim Crow had nothing to do with single motherdom which is rampant in the black community. Among married couples Black and White poverty are relatively the same. Jim Crow was awful and I'm glad its gone but replacing Dad with Uncle Sam is probably the biggest failure disproportionately affecting Blacks in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by breslin View Post
    Black generations have only gotten poorer and less educated since the end of Jim Crow(relative to whites). That's not an endorsement of Jim Crow, but Jim Crow had nothing to do with single motherdom which is rampant in the black community. Among married couples Black and White poverty are relatively the same. Jim Crow was awful and I'm glad its gone but replacing Dad with Uncle Sam is probably the biggest failure disproportionately affecting Blacks in the US.
    Are you of the opinion that Jim Crow had no effect at all on the outcome of black Americans today?

Let people that feel guilty feel guilty, they have probably done something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Avskildhet View Post
    Not anywhere close to the same amount as among republicans.
    You can't even be a progressive without judging people based on demographic checkboxes. Every progressive and Democrat is a racist and a sexist by default, as they reject the logic of MLK. Republicans may have bigots among them, but at least it isn't 100 percent like Democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogguh View Post
    You can't even be a progressive without judging people based on demographic checkboxes. Every progressive and Democrat is a racist and a sexist by default, as they reject the logic of MLK. Republicans may have bigots among them, but at least it isn't 100 percent like Democrats.
    Today its so true. Well I dont know but i see MLK more like morgan freeman