Poll: Immortality but you have to go back 1 million years?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    What happens after the sun gets too close to the earth? Or after the heat death of the universe? Do you really want to be stuck in nothingness, with your lonely thoughts, for eternity?

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shnider View Post
    He asked me to prove that traveling to the past is impossible. Every physicist thinks it's impossible physically, until someone proves it.

Maybe it would have been best if I asked him to prove time travel to the past instead of explaining to him.
    Or you could think logically for one second, realizing first that proving a negative is impossible (whoops!) and second that your link of "proof" is highly suspect, using the word "may" in the very text you quoted. Here's a quick example - "every physicist" wasn't cited in your bullshit link.

But please, keep on shilling your ridiculous points while ignoring logic and reality - it's adorable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AryuFate View Post
    What happens after the sun gets too close to the earth? Or after the heat death of the universe? Do you really want to be stuck in nothingness, with your lonely thoughts, for eternity?
    Excellent point.

What if by that time you figure out a way to travel to a younger universe? Or back in time again?

The biggest issue isn't what happens if you make it to the heat death of the universe (which is a LONG ways away - think 10[to the]1,000,000 king of number). The biggest issue is whether your sanity would survive. If you're nuts way before then, it won't really matter if you're around for those events.

Quote Originally Posted by Nnyco View Post
    Can i take an immortal gameboy with me?
    You'd also need some immortal batteries.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    You would have immortality. You would not need to do any of that to survive.
    Its not about my survival, its about he survival of the documents. Id need to preserve them, and doubly so. Lets not forget about how fearful certain rulers and religions have been about information.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubby View Post
    Did you happen to read what he was responding to?

Agreed Kath - those would work. But you'd be fighting time as well - those methods would degenerate over a short period of time. Better to take some devices with you until you can speed up industry.

Speaking of which - on this trip back, can I bring some stuff with me? What's the baggage charge? How about a full pallet or something?
    I would likely have to re-copy things as they begin to degrade. It would be an insane amount if work for a very long time. But could prove to be very useful
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    Ok. go travel to the past where you belong :P you really are thickheaded. I said the general consensus think it's impossible. If someone proves otherwise, then sure, it's possible.
    So you're a liar now too? Excellent. Or did you forget when you said:

Every physicist thinks it's impossible physically, until someone proves it.
    Just remember, the logical side of this discussion is all over here. You're on the other side, proving negatives all the live long day, and linking suspect cites to prove you're illogical.

I'm done with this dumb discussion.
    You should be - you're in WAY over your head.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    I would likely have to re-copy things as they begin to degrade. It would be an insane amount if work for a very long time. But could prove to be very useful
    If you used the speeding up evolution idea above, and if it worked, you could have a group of people trained to re-copy all your notes.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, @Doctor Amadeus, can we get a ruling on the issue of bringing stuff with us? Can we bring a duffel bag? Knapsack? Cargo container?

"may not". Oof. Nothing was proven.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care what type of immortality it is, I wouldn't take it.
    Shath'mag vwyq shu et'agthu, Shath'mag sshk ye! Krz'ek fhn'z agash zz maqdahl or'kaaxth'ma amqa!
    The Black Empire once ruled this pitiful world, and it will do so again! Your pitiful kind will know only despair and sorrow for a hundred thousand millennia to come!

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh hell yeas

The Undying
    15+ Year Old Account
    I didn't lie -.- where are you getting this. What I said was consistent from the start. Every goddamn Physics article I read says the same thing. It's physically impossible to go back in time.
    Let me explain it to you dumbass. Learn some physics, Time flows in 1 direction.

Goddamn you're dumb AF.
    Awwwwww, I guess all you have left is just name calling. Adorable.

You lied when you said things that contradicted each other - let me know if you have any questions about that complicated phenomenon.
    You were entirely illogical when you said you can prove a negative. Again - we're here to help with any confusion on that point. Just ask!
    You were done a long time ago when you linked a wiki cite as your "proof" that time traveling backwards is "impossible".

But please, continue on - it's both amusing and adorable. Frothing at the mouth like you are must make it tough to type coherently.

p.s. caught your little diatribe before you edited it
    Last edited by cubby; 2019-05-24 at 01:02 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    So you're a liar now too? Excellent. Or did you forget when you said:

Just remember, the logical side of this discussion is all over here. You're on the other side, proving negatives all the live long day, and linking suspect cites to prove you're illogical.

You should be - you're in WAY over your head.

- - - Updated - - -

If you used the speeding up evolution idea above, and if it worked, you could have a group of people trained to re-copy all your notes.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, @Doctor Amadeus, can we get a ruling on the issue of bringing stuff with us? Can we bring a duffel bag? Knapsack? Cargo container?
    Yes you can. The only restriction is that you have to go back 1 million years. You can bring whatever you want. But only you are immortal.

So if you brought anything else back with you keep in mind it’s 1 million years in the past.
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

Depends if I was impervious or not.

No way my goofy ass won't hurt myself.

If I was invincible then yes I'd do it and claim domination over the world.

Why would anyone rule the world? Too much work.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    there's a funny thing about immortality, eventually you're going to get stuck. Laws of probability and all.

And you'll never die >.<
    Yeah, this is kind of a scary thought for me.

Getting stuck somewhere on Earth is bad enough, but imagine some situation where you're just floating around in space. Or you wind up getting trapped on a planet you can't escape (gas giant or something, maybe). Unless you can do stuff like fly or teleport, that'd suck.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends on the immortality. Incapable of dying a natural death, staying in my peak physical form forever? Or true immortality, never dying? If the last one, FUCK NO. Wouldn't take that if you gave me a billion dollars. First one? Maybe, but not if I have to live a million years before getting to the good part

If you placed yourself in the past and put yourself in the western hemisphere and stayed there, you basically will have zero effect on historical events. I think the earliest human bones in the western hemisphere date to 50,000 years ago. So if you went back in time 1 million years, you could safely construct a massive controlled environment in say the Los Angeles area and never have to worry about some roving army of proto humans or humans showing up at your door for almost the entire million years. But no intelligent life evolves in the western hemisphere so its like a huge zoo.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure if I'd want to take the risk. It would be hard to trust people not to alter the information, or give away the location of where it is stored.

Think Library of Alexandria.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    Its not about my survival, its about he survival of the documents. Id need to preserve them, and doubly so. Lets not forget about how fearful certain rulers and religions have been about information.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahh. Got'cha. I misread what you wrote it seems. Not that it matters since this is a fantasy thread anyway.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Ahh. Got'cha. I misread what you wrote it seems. Not that it matters since this is a fantasy thread anyway.
    Totally. But it is a good critical thinking exercise. All the follow up questions are making me think more about it, and I enjoy that = )

I'm guessing this is a Vandal Savage type immortality... perfect health, never age... in which case I'd do my best to impart ideals of agnostic scientific altruism over superstitious materialism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    No fucking way. The worst idea since democracy.

Man, that would certainly require me to change my mindset a lot. It would pretty much allow me to shape humanity. Culture, knowledge, language. With a million years, even genetics would change over time, based on what properties I convey to others should be valued, if my influence on that is a million years long.

It'll be a whole new do-over for the Human Race, to have a source of information and knowledge that already knows what potential it holds, but can also guide them in avoiding the pitfalls. Actually forge humanity into wise shepherds of the earth.

It would require eeeendless patience. A veeeery long perspective. And I would have to sacrifice all I have now in life. And sacrifice this standard of living and entertainment, for thousands of years. But, well. I feel it could greatly benefit humanity to have a do-over with an eternal guide. So, refusing would be morally wrong in my eyes. Also, there's the immortality gig. I'd pay some pretty ridiculous prices for that one anyway.