Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Warrior question

Hi guys!

So like a lot of people the question of wich class I'll play for classic has been in my head for some time now. I'm a Paladin player since back in Vanilla but there is no chance of me playing Alliance niw ha ha. So I was actually hesitating between Mage and Warrior at first, but I think that being able to tank in the beginning will be a huge help to make groups and farm dungeon.

So my question is : I want to tank but I don't want to main tank raids, in the long run I would only like to play a off tank/ DPS spec and I was thinking that going for Arms would not be that bad. It would mean that I could tank 5 man, off tank some boss in raid, be able to farm at reasonable speed, and do some pvp without respec every 5 minutes?

So any warriors here that have played until AQ 40 (Naxx is not even in my dream x) )? Would the arms spec be viable for what I said?

About the pre-raid-BiS equipement, I looked at the list and the guys said that some pieces would be op until AQ 40 and even Naxx sometimes so I was wondering what was the point of farming T1 or T2 sets if some "random" rare pieces are that good?

Thanks guys!

As I remember, if you're a warrior you will tank. Full stop. Sometimes they even invite you as dps, and once inside they give you a BoE shield and force you to tank, or get kicked. At least in my experience.
    If you don't want to tank forever, avoid warrior

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendevis View Post
    As I remember, if you're a warrior you will tank. Full stop. Sometimes they even invite you as dps, and once inside they give you a BoE shield and force you to tank, or get kicked. At least in my experience.
    If you don't want to tank forever, avoid warrior
    Those groups sound like the poster child for "ignore them and never group with them again."

But yeah Warrior is the only endgame-viable tank in Vanilla. So expect to be pressured into respecing prot once you're 60.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Pandaren Monk
    10+ Year Old Account
    You'll be fine. Just expect to tank in dungeons as tanks are always scarce.

10+ Year Old Account
    Warrior is full time tank.
    Mage is a really good dps.

Both will be wanted early on, warriors more but they have limited spots, that are for tanks only.
    Mages on the other hand a generally wanted, and it's not uncommon to see more then 2 per raid group.

If you just care about dungeons, you're fine as warr dps and will sometimes be asked to tank, but not full time (tho doing it full time might secure u more spots).
    If you dislike tanking, or just don't wanna full time tank, but wanna progressively raid, avoid warrior and go mage.
    Or get 2 warrior tank friends, and try to join a guild together, they'll take you then for the 2 tanks :P

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denizly View Post
    Warrior is full time tank.
    Mage is a really good dps.

Both will be wanted early on, warriors more but they have limited spots, that are for tanks only.
    Mages on the other hand a generally wanted, and it's not uncommon to see more then 2 per raid group.

If you just care about dungeons, you're fine as warr dps and will sometimes be asked to tank, but not full time (tho doing it full time might secure u more spots).
    If you dislike tanking, or just don't wanna full time tank, but wanna progressively raid, avoid warrior and go mage.
    Or get 2 warrior tank friends, and try to join a guild together, they'll take you then for the 2 tanks :P

Warrior is one of the most scalable DPS classes in the game. Ignore anyone who says warriors are tanks only. You'll crush mages when you get gear!

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpoke is a Gamer View Post
    Those groups sound like the poster child for "ignore them and never group with them again."

But yeah Warrior is the only endgame-viable tank in Vanilla. So expect to be pressured into respecing prot once you're 60.
    False.
    Look up Skarm Tank on youtube, he plays MT feral druid, even at Kel'Thuzad.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Whistl3r View Post
    You'll crush mages when you get gear!
    And guess who has priority on warrior gear...... THE TANKS

You'll eventually gear up and be good as dps, but tanks will always get loot prio over a dps warr, simply cuz they are both more important to gear up and can switch to dps if needed. 2 roles > 1 role

1. Warriors are one of the highest if not highest overall DPS in vanilla (atleast once you're geared)
    2. You wont be forced into tanking, but if you refuse to tank when needed you will be useless.
    3. Tanking doesnt require going full tank 'spec' as only 20 or so talents are required to tank most content (including raids)
    4. You'll want to tank 5 mans, you'll low competition for loot, being a tank or a healer for 5 mans means you can stack the group with people who wont take your loot.

10+ Year Old Account

You'll eventually gear up and be good as dps, but tanks will always get loot prio over a dps warr, simply cuz they are both more important to gear up and can switch to dps if needed. 2 roles > 1 role
    Rogues actually. Tanks and DPS warriors share very little gear. Getting geared on a DPS warrior is a question of how much reputation you have with your local warrior officer and fuckton of luck for drops.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

All these ignorant fools. Warrior is one of the top endgame DPS in vanilla, and a good DPS warrior will absolutely not have to tank aside from perhaps some niche circumstances like Vael, depending on what strat you use.

5+ Year Old Account
    Fury warriors are the best dps in the game.

Stood in the Fire Zendhal The Black's Avatar
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistaztreek View Post
    False.
    On private servers with incorrect combat table values, that makes druid tanking way easier

Thanks guys!

Yea I've seen a lot of people saying Fury is top endgame DPS but that it's true when you've AQ40 or Naxx gear, what about MC and BWL as I don't think I'll step in AQ40.

My vanilla experience: As maintank i got a respec to full protection, but often had a mixed spec. On any farm stuff i played successfully as 31 Arms 15/20 protection in MC, BWL and most of AQ40. It is a big difference to have points in protection compared to none. But there are hybrid tank specs that let you have very reasonable DPS while not tanking.

https://classic.wowhead.com/talent-c...BDzN6xMBMALPFA is just one option.
    Last edited by Hyrican; 2019-05-31 at 07:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayd View Post
    Thanks guys!

Yea I've seen a lot of people saying Fury is top endgame DPS but that it's true when you've AQ40 of Naxx gear, what about MC and BWL as I don't think I'll step in AQ40.
    It's classic, you can play what you want. But if you want to eliminate all possible drama about "why are we waiting for 40 minutes for a tank when we already have a warrior in our group?" and "hello guys, oh, you already have a warrior, sorry, bye", or being asked to have these 11 talent points into prot for a last stand, so you can tank at least sometimes - then stick to a mage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Dictionary
    Russians are a nation inhabiting territory of Russia an ex-USSR countries. Russians enjoy drinking vodka and listening to the bears playing button-accordions. Russians are open- and warm- hearted. They are ready to share their last prianik (russian sweet cookie) with guests, in case lasts encounter that somewhere. Though, it's almost unreal, 'cos russians usually hide their stuff well.

5+ Year Old Account

You dont want the same gear, so im not sure what the issue is. Join a guild that does straight up DKP. Tanks often have loads as they always raid but I had no issues gearing up, I mean rogues hated me taking leather but its all fair in love and DKP.

Actually I really don't mind tanking 5 man or even some raid boss (I'm a tank since the end of BC on my Pal), I just don't want to be tagged to tank in raid so I can roll on DPS stuff, I still want to have some good stuff to go for some pvp.

5+ Year Old Account
    Just bear in mind Warrior is probably the most rolled class. So be really good at both DPS and tanking if you want to get anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistaztreek View Post
    False.
    Feral Druids can offtank quite comfortable and help pick up mobs and bring them to the Warrior tanks, so can paladin tanks, but neither have gear available to be anywhere close to as strong as warrior-tanks. Are there exceptions? sure, but that doesn’t mean they’re good. Feral Druid DPS is also viable, so is Ret DPS, but that doesn’t mean they’re good.
    9thorder.com | Recruiting exceptional players!