Page 1 of 9
... LastLast

Things that will no longer be taboo in the US in 20 years

In decent decades we've seen things like tattoos, gay marriage, and pro sports openly embracing gambling move from social taboos in the US to accepted by the mainstream. What things that are taboo today will become mainstream in the next 20 years?

I will open by saying prostitution will go mainstream in the next 20 years. Currently it is only legal in parts of Nevada. I think within 20 years, it becomes legal almost everywhere in the US.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    The US is always behind a lot of countries, but if they make it, they also sometimes(look at abortion) go back, so who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    In decent decades we've seen things like tattoos, gay marriage, and pro sports openly embracing gambling move from social taboos in the US to accepted by the mainstream. What things that are taboo today will become mainstream in the next 20 years?

I will open by saying prostitution will go mainstream in the next 20 years. Currently it is only legal in parts of Nevada. I think within 20 years, it becomes legal almost everywhere in the US.
    idk if its going to happen in 20 years, but i really see some hilarious pedo stuff coming our way with age halting and reversal tech coming down the road.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

If this is anything like your tech predictions, I'd add another 20-30 years to that time frame.

While gaming has become more mainstream, its still looked down on after reaching a certain age (though it depends on what games the person plays). I'd wager gaming of almost all kinds to be seen as favorably as reading fantasy fiction novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    idk if its going to happen in 20 years, but i really see some hilarious pedo stuff coming our way with age halting and reversal tech coming down the road.
    Better not, that's one of the taboos we need to hold up. The effects of child sexual abuse are very real and long-lasting.

e-sports, different relationship types (poly for example), prostitution (but it might take more than years), cam/sex work in general.
    Member: Dragon Flight Alpha Club, Member since 7/20/22

Being a conservative.
    People working 2 jobs in the US (at least one part-time) - 7.8 Million (Roughly 4.9% of the workforce)

People working 2 full-time jobs in the US - 360,000 (0.2% of the workforce)

Average time worked weekly by the US Workforce - 34.5 hours

Quote Originally Posted by Celista View Post
    Better not, that's one of the taboos we need to hold up. The effects of child sexual abuse are very real and long-lasting.
    Now you know how people who people who think some taboos that have been gotten rid of feel.

But also, if somebody is "age-reversed" or "halted", i'm not sure that the same issues need apply.

What's left? What's still taboo?

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

well it all depends on how it works...but if we have 40 year old folks who look 14-17.....
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post
    Being a conservative.
    Wait, are you saying being a conservative now is taboo and won't be in the future? Or are you saying that being a conservative will become a taboo?

10+ Year Old Account
    Being a conservative.
    You guys and your jokes.

Quote Originally Posted by wowfunny251 View Post
    Wait, are you saying being a conservative now is taboo and won't be in the future? Or are you saying that being a conservative will become a taboo?
    Conservatives have a pretty massive victim complex. So definitely the first.

Quote Originally Posted by Calfredd View Post
    If this is anything like your tech predictions, I'd add another 20-30 years to that time frame.
    What is wrong with my tech predictions? I have not gotten any wrong. I said solar power will replace fossil fuels in the 2020s. Check back by 2030. We might quibble that some nations still use fossil fuels by then but I think its coming fast. We've known the downward trajectory of the cost of solar since the 1970s and they always said that will become cheaper to use solar rather than fossil fuels in the 2020s. When that happens, you will witness a massive shift to solar.

Why would you pay for a more expensive fuel when the alternative is just going to cheaper and better relentlessly?
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Being a conservative.
    The gop will be gone in 20 years. we will have the never trump conservatives and the more central dems forming up the core of the democratic party while the progressives, which are getting more and more support, will split off form the dems to form their own partie. Conservative will literally mean white nationalist in 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrt View Post
    Conservatives have a pretty massive victim complex. So definitely the first.
    True. Everybody in politics has a victim complex, because everybody holds some minority views.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Saucexorzski View Post
    The gop will be gone in 20 years. we will have the never trump conservatives and the more central dems forming up the core of the democratic party while the progressives, which are getting more and more support, will split off form the dems to form their own partie. Conservative will literally mean white nationalist in 20 years.
    Eh, more likely the two parties will just mutate until they don't at all resemble their current state. Just like how the current state of the parties is wildly different from just 50 years ago. The political system of America doesn't allow for more than two parties.

15+ Year Old Account
    u dont even need prostitutes anymore, girls are such whores nowadays from social media influence...if u cant get laid nowadays ur really doing something wrong.

Except research has already shown that it isn't until adults essentially convince victims how horrible their experiences have been.

Self inflicted indentured servitude for the sole purpose of sustaining oneself due to a lack of affordable resources and living space.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    Except research has already shown that it isn't until adults essentially convince victims how horrible their experiences have been.
    Oh boy, here come the libertarians.