Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Mid-tier guild recruiters - what are you looking for?

Hi,

I'm in the market for a new guild and so I'm beginning to try and shape up my experience/logs to be an attractive candidate. My goal is to get into a guild where we get CE. I main a mage (415ilvl) and we've managed to get 7/9M this tier, but now we've had weeks of people not showing up and the raid being called. As I've been mostly doing prog, my logs dont look great at first glance (blue parses etc) but I've been doing the hell out of mechanics, not being the first to die on 99% of pulls, using consumables etc etc. I also have a plethora of alts (warlock, monk, dk, warrior, rogue) that are around 400ilvl and can easily be geared up to assist on future prog if needed. Is this enough? Do I have a chance of being brought into a consistent 9/9M guild without having the previous CE experience but playing the hell out of the bosses I've been done so far? What can I do to increase my likelihood of a trial?

Most guilds will trial anything. There are no serious requirements. You're seriously overthinking it. Hell, if you're in the US, my guild would likely trial you based on the fact you're a mage and 415 ilevel and we want a mage.

We trialed a rogue on jaina with 0 mythic kills.

We'll trial anybody who parses > 75 and has at least some mythic logs to present.

Though if you can't take criticism or you whine about warming the bench for some pulls. We'll probably kick you and not waste any additional time.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Quote Originally Posted by asil View Post
    Most guilds will trial anything. There are no serious requirements. You're seriously overthinking it. Hell, if you're in the US, my guild would likely trial you based on the fact you're a mage and 415 ilevel and we want a mage.

We trialed a rogue on jaina with 0 mythic kills.
    How about a resto shaman? lol 3/9m 416 ilvl

Quote Originally Posted by Awyee View Post
    Hi,

I'm in the market for a new guild and so I'm beginning to try and shape up my experience/logs to be an attractive candidate. My goal is to get into a guild where we get CE. I main a mage (415ilvl) and we've managed to get 7/9M this tier, but now we've had weeks of people not showing up and the raid being called. As I've been mostly doing prog, my logs dont look great at first glance (blue parses etc) but I've been doing the hell out of mechanics, not being the first to die on 99% of pulls, using consumables etc etc. I also have a plethora of alts (warlock, monk, dk, warrior, rogue) that are around 400ilvl and can easily be geared up to assist on future prog if needed. Is this enough? Do I have a chance of being brought into a consistent 9/9M guild without having the previous CE experience but playing the hell out of the bosses I've been done so far? What can I do to increase my likelihood of a trial?
    You can get a trial with just about anybody by virtue of being 7/9M alone. Good mages seem to be hard to find these days, so if you can not fuck up mechanics and keep a positive mentality you'll have no issue not only finding a guild to trial in but also passing the trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Awyee View Post
    Hi,

Hey Buddy, I'm a toxic prick so feel free to take what i say with a grain of salt, all up to you. My credentials - Raided top 20 world 5 raid tiers, raid lead top 50 world for half a tier, and top 200 world for 2 tiers in BFA. I have been supporting in recruitment in every guild I've ever been in, because i had an extensive network, and Unlike the guilds you are looking for, I actually know how to analyze warcraft logs for something else than your DPS parse. I have also raided in a WR 500 guild for Emerald Nightmare, 300 for ToV, and 1000 for ToS. Previous to this I swapped from world 20 to world 2000 in MoP to play with friends. Its safe to say I've been all over the spectrum.

Mid tier guild for me would be around WR 300-500, but what I'm about to say will count for atleast 90% of WR 100-1000 guilds. They have no one who is either willing, or able to analyze Logs. They look at ur kill logs only, or they only look at your DPS. your safest bet to be atractive for most mid tier guilds is to get high parses. Personally if i see someone with a bunch of rank 1's on early mythic kills, i assume they are fucking retarded and absolute trash at the game. so far Im 7/7 on that one, there has never been an exception in my anecdotal evidence. The reason is generally fairly simple, for someone to try and push their DPS to a rank 1 in a WR 100+ guild, it generally means that is the focus of that person, his aim is not to kill the boss, but to get a good log. I have had people intentionally wipe potential kill pulls because they were gonna get a bad parse. I also kicked those people immediately, it was obvious. so once you start moving up the ladder, generally most top 50 guilds will have some autistic cunt like me, who is efficient at looking through logs, and willing to spend his time on it. i often spent over 8 hours looking at potential recruits. theres a lot of data to go through, and when ur trying to stay competitive u dont have the luxury of just saying fuck it, hes not a complete retard, lets just try him out.

That being said, I have experience with a top 40 world guild looking at nothing but parses, 3 of them actually. as soon as we made some of our speed runs public of antorus, i instantly got messages because i ended up with rank 1's on almost every fight. i only had 1 public log, it was only a kill log, but that was enough.

my point is, ur DPS/HPS parses for ur respective role is the single most important thing if u want to be an atractive recruit for the majority of guilds, while it is not as important at WR >50 comparatively to proper consumeable usage, mechanics, consistency etc, if i see deaths that arent 1 shots and see a raider not having used healthpot and healthstone, even just once, i immediately assume they are absolute dogshit players who will blame everyone else for their mistakes, and therefore will never ever improve, at the game, or at anything else in life.

So go be a dps whore, get some logs, and its Ez clap. remember that literally 99% of the wow population have sub 50 IQ, its just one of those games that attract the dumbest people who can never think for themselves, and its not their fault that they fucked up if you didnt literally play the game for them and tell them what to do before hand. and even if u do, its a 50-50 wether the literal Bot at the other end registers ur voice command and executes it, or he accidentally gets his dick stuck in a ceiling fan. Remember, half of methods roster literally can't even do Mechatorque, so how do u think people 200 ranks below them are gonna play?

go get'em tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by Tumile View Post
    Hey Buddy, I'm a toxic prick so feel free to take what i say with a grain of salt, all up to you. My credentials - Raided top 20 world 5 raid tiers, raid lead top 50 world for half a tier, and top 200 world for 2 tiers in BFA. I have been supporting in recruitment in every guild I've ever been in, because i had an extensive network, and Unlike the guilds you are looking for, I actually know how to analyze warcraft logs for something else than your DPS parse. I have also raided in a WR 500 guild for Emerald Nightmare, 300 for ToV, and 1000 for ToS. Previous to this I swapped from world 20 to world 2000 in MoP to play with friends. Its safe to say I've been all over the spectrum.

Mid tier guild for me would be around WR 300-500, but what I'm about to say will count for atleast 90% of WR 100-1000 guilds. They have no one who is either willing, or able to analyze Logs. They look at ur kill logs only, or they only look at your DPS. your safest bet to be atractive for most mid tier guilds is to get high parses. Personally if i see someone with a bunch of rank 1's on early mythic kills, i assume they are fucking retarded and absolute trash at the game. so far Im 7/7 on that one, there has never been an exception in my anecdotal evidence. The reason is generally fairly simple, for someone to try and push their DPS to a rank 1 in a WR 100+ guild, it generally means that is the focus of that person, his aim is not to kill the boss, but to get a good log. I have had people intentionally wipe potential kill pulls because they were gonna get a bad parse. I also kicked those people immediately, it was obvious. so once you start moving up the ladder, generally most top 50 guilds will have some autistic cunt like me, who is efficient at looking through logs, and willing to spend his time on it. i often spent over 8 hours looking at potential recruits. theres a lot of data to go through, and when ur trying to stay competitive u dont have the luxury of just saying fuck it, hes not a complete retard, lets just try him out.

That being said, I have experience with a top 40 world guild looking at nothing but parses, 3 of them actually. as soon as we made some of our speed runs public of antorus, i instantly got messages because i ended up with rank 1's on almost every fight. i only had 1 public log, it was only a kill log, but that was enough.

my point is, ur DPS/HPS parses for ur respective role is the single most important thing if u want to be an atractive recruit for the majority of guilds, while it is not as important at WR >50 comparatively to proper consumeable usage, mechanics, consistency etc, if i see deaths that arent 1 shots and see a raider not having used healthpot and healthstone, even just once, i immediately assume they are absolute dogshit players who will blame everyone else for their mistakes, and therefore will never ever improve, at the game, or at anything else in life.

So go be a dps whore, get some logs, and its Ez clap. remember that literally 99% of the wow population have sub 50 IQ, its just one of those games that attract the dumbest people who can never think for themselves, and its not their fault that they fucked up if you didnt literally play the game for them and tell them what to do before hand. and even if u do, its a 50-50 wether the literal Bot at the other end registers ur voice command and executes it, or he accidentally gets his dick stuck in a ceiling fan. Remember, half of methods roster literally can't even do Mechatorque, so how do u think people 200 ranks below them are gonna play?

go get'em tiger.
    Hate to say it but he is right.

During SoO, I had only 5/14 H (Now mythic) experience, but I was able to trial with a decent guild on a populated server. I was able to parse my ass off on Spoils and then I was in a Top 100 US guild within 2 weeks. So like he said, WoW recruiters right now just want to see numbers. Nevermind whether or not you can actually learn mechanics, it's just a matter of can u hit buttons fast and properly to make your DPS higher.

You realize it's literally always been this way, right? Most high end guilds have nothing to lose by trialing people. Worst case scenario is they just fail the trial and that's that, best case scenario you find someone that's good at the game.

Learning mechanics isn't hard, a monkey can learn mechanics in this game given enough pulls. The biggest limiting factor I've seen is the ability to press buttons and do damage while also doing mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongCracker View Post
    How about a resto shaman? lol 3/9m 416 ilvl
    Is it you Ion?

Seeing how it's that point in the content cycle where many guilds are having roster problems / burnouts, you'd probably have a fair shot at any ranked 500 + guild, even the 9/9 guilds.

BoD mythic is also cross realm, you can existentially trial for any guild without paying a dime. This is the best time to find a new guild.
    "I feel bad for Limit , they put in so many hours only to come in second place" - Methodjosh

Decent players are one a penny. Reliable people who put the team first and themselves second are as rare as rocking horse shit. Try to be that dude.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deja Thoris View Post
    Decent players are one a penny. Reliable people who put the team first and themselves second are as rare as rocking horse shit. Try to be that dude.
    I can't like this post enough. You see the attitude everywhere that topping meters is more important than anything else, sand-bagging mechanics to increase DPS is all that matters. It's disappointing that people believe this. Most guild leaders and recruiting teams don't give enough consideration to the idea that behaving efficiently as a group is not the same as every member of the raid striving for personal glory and ego-boost.

For my own self, my playstyle in raids in shadow was that I was the one that would do adds, do interrupts and dispels, do support where I could, do some spot healing/shielding if necessary. That all came at the cost of DPS so I never had great parses during the times our guild was most successful at getting down content.
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-06-08 at 07:05 PM.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Quote Originally Posted by MoanaLisa View Post
    I can't like this post enough. You see the attitude everywhere that topping meters is more important than anything else, sand-bagging mechanics to increase DPS is all that matters. It's disappointing that people believe this. Most guild leaders and recruiting teams don't give enough consideration to the idea that behaving efficiently as a group is not the same as every member of the raid striving for personal glory and ego-boost.

For my own self, my playstyle in raids in shadow was that I was the one that would do adds, do interrupts and dispels, do support where I could, do some spot healing/shielding if necessary. That all came at the cost of DPS so I never had great parses during the times our guild was most successful at getting down content.
    I think this works both ways too... you need to be able to trust the people you're playing with. I don't know how many times my performance has suffered because I was covering for other people's mistakes.

But its often a thankless job. For every time someone's tried to talk up their "better numbers!" because they were standing in fire while I was split between having to heal the raid, my tank, their tank, and now their own numb selves cuz they won't move out of fire... there's always been two or three times where I've felt that people are being misled into thinking that my performance was "bad" even though it led to us killing the boss and not wiping.

I remember kite-tanking Onyxia way back when as a shadowpriest because we didn't have a tank for a good 30-60 seconds, which led to a kill.

I also remember that numb Council fight in Terrace during Mists where healers got a lethal debuff that had to be dispelled by a DIFFERENT healer, which generally led to death in pugs and being removed from the raid because people were too numb to understand that it wasn't the person dying that was at fault.

But yeah, back to trust... when I'm looking for a guild, I always like to ask if I can sit in their discord (or whatever the voicechat of the moment is), during a raid night, progression, farm, whatever, and just listen in. Its good to hear how they interact, in both good times and bad, to know whether that's an experience you will ENJOY...

but its even more important to feel that you can trust that the people you will be playing with won't be nursing some hidden grudges because they thought you screwed up five tiers ago, when it was simply their misunderstanding of the fight mechanics.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    I think this works both ways too... you need to be able to trust the people you're playing with. I don't know how many times my performance has suffered because I was covering for other people's mistakes.
    Oh, absolutely. Being a part of a good team has to work in both directions. Good post.
    "...money's most powerful ability is to allow bad people to continue doing bad things at the expense of those who don't have it."

Oh, absolutely. Being a part of a good team has to work in both directions. Good post.
    and that, a "good team" is different for different people. Sometimes its subtle, but usually its blatantly obvious.

Especially in this day and age where a lot of people bring a "everyone needs to conform to me!" attitude with them, its important to note that this generally doesn't result in positive results when trying to find a new community to participate in.

When someone doesn't "fit in", even innocently so, people often feel like they're being mocked or snubbed, and most people in WoW lean heavily towards the passive/aggressive or just entirely passive, so won't mention the issues until they've snowballed into some Frankenstein of a problem that never should have been a problem in the first place.

I don't even know how you find a group of people from scratch that an individual can "trust" in WoW at this point, especially with the transfer fees posing an arbitrary gate between communities. I can only heavily emphasize that if you feel something is wrong early on, don't try to gloss it over just because you like the results you're getting from the raid.

I understand that a lot of people would be just as happy raiding with bots or total strangers every day if it got them a full clear, but I personally don't understand the fun in that. For me the fun in an MMO has always been finding that set of people that I'm just killing time with, and whether we're doing Mythic progression, LFR, or running around gathering herbs, its going to be just as good or bad dependent on the people I'm chatting with.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Halicia View Post
    I don't even know how you find a group of people from scratch that an individual can "trust" in WoW at this point, especially with the transfer fees posing an arbitrary gate between communities. I can only heavily emphasize that if you feel something is wrong early on, don't try to gloss it over just because you like the results you're getting from the raid.
    I would much rather be failing upwards to eventual success with people that I like spending time with than succeeding with a bunch of assholes.

I've been waiting for years--and I may wait forever--for cross-realm guilds. If that ever happens I may start my own guild again for new/casual/let's just have fun raiders and the like. The main requirement would be that some sort of minimal effort to show up is required and that everyone get along. Some people would laugh at this but it's a more congenial environment for group play for me at this point in my life than anything else. I've tried it a couple of times with the current guild system and it's very hard. There are practically no new players and it's difficult to be heard over the din of everyone else. There are days when I would kill to find a guild that has no pretension other than finishing normal and stopping until the next raid comes out. The new communities in BfA have worked well for me for some things but not well enough to assemble a community-based raid group.

All in all it makes me wonder whether LFR has hollowed out that level of potential raiders. That's possible even probable. I'm not for removing or changing LFR though. I'm more for "LFR is great if you like it but this might be better and it's not really all that much more difficult."
    Last edited by MoanaLisa; 2019-06-08 at 07:51 PM.

performance society wow, bring the logs, not the player. this mindset made me quit as raidlead (more precise: team psychiatrist trying to compensate destructive team dynamics) and sell my double serverfirst acc for 3k on ebay. happily casul ever after.

but Tumile is right about dps as an overvalued indicator for skill (although he advices for), on prog mechanics, situational awareness, def cd and consumable usage is priority.
    u seem to be the rare type of player that prioritizes team success over logs, focus this uncommon attitude in ur application.

/edit an often underestimated factor in raid-setup is character/personality, as team-dynamics r fragile in a competetive environment. i had enough loot- and slot drama, to not focus on soft-skills. but even having applied a constructive communication routine to the raid, i always had to solve those postponed conflicts afterwards. typically a group identity is formed in distinction to other groups. but that worked bi-directional, also escalated in group competition.
    Last edited by ultima ratio; 2019-06-08 at 09:02 PM.

While I agree with this the vast majority of raid leaders are going to sit the glue person because they are parsing lower then the goes balls to the walls never stops when stops are called person because they have no idea how to analyze logs. And if they do unless they are treating it as a second job they probably don't have time. Meters are an easy method so that's what is used.

Quote Originally Posted by Xath View Post
    While I agree with this the vast majority of raid leaders are going to sit the glue person because they are parsing lower then the goes balls to the walls never stops when stops are called person because they have no idea how to analyze logs. And if they do unless they are treating it as a second job they probably don't have time. Meters are an easy method so that's what is used.
    Analysing logs isn't difficult at all, theres even third party tools out there that can help point out obvious issues.

If the raid leaders don't have the capabilities to work out basic things like "whos getting hit most by buster cannon" or "are people dying due to not using healthstones/defensives" then it's worth evaluating whether you wish to continue raiding with them.

Quote Originally Posted by Great Destiny Man View Post
    Analysing logs isn't difficult at all, theres even third party tools out there that can help point out obvious issues.

If the raid leaders don't have the capabilities to work out basic things like "whos getting hit most by buster cannon" or "are people dying due to not using healthstones/defensives" then it's worth evaluating whether you wish to continue raiding with them.
    Yeah there's just a bit more to it than that