Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Question Player Housing for 9.0

What I think we all can agree on is that WoW needs content outside of the loop of Outdoor Content / Instanced PVE or PVP / repeat, especially if they are intending on keeping the "play the patch" mentality that the game has had since its inception. I think one of the most excellent features that offered additional content outside the Loop was transmogrification. It offered a near endless supply of things to collect, some items (with the best models) are only offered in new content, which means you must group up with players to complete it (I'm thinking like mythic Legion raids).

What I suggest would be player housing. It is something every major MMORPG has now save WoW, and I don't think it's as far fetched as some may think.

For those monogamers who don't often play other MMOs, player housing is where your character gets a plot of land where they can place a prebuilt house (of many varieties) and fill its interior and exterior (within their plot) with decorations, furniture, helpful items, etc. This would bring a whole world of replayable content they can add things to in the future without having to build on top of the existing system they would need to implement to make it work. It could bring some much-needed revitalization to professions and perhaps even forge a new one.

Professions like Leatherworking can make furniture that is fur/hide themed, like those doormats made of the bear pelts you see often in Nelf homes. Blacksmiths can make sigils of the Alliance or of the player's race out of metal, you can hang it on the wall and such. Alchemists can make alchemy tables or perhaps bars where you can serve drinks at. There's ideas for each and every profession.

As for an entirely new profession, introduce Carpentry, allowing you to make furniture like sofas, beds, dressers, etc. A metric fkton of these models already exist in the game and have been updated recently. This would be low stress endeavor for the art team (unless they decided to bless us with a ton of new furniture, but hey, I'm doubtful). However, I am not an artist nor am I a game dev. I don't truly, honestly know how taxing this would be for Blizzard to implement.

As for how the whole system would work, it'd be a lot like how garrisons worked, just with the addition of a UI built for placement/movement of in-game art assets. Everyone will have the option to buy an instanced plot (perhaps larger plots cost more gold?) and you'll have to buy a "prebuilt" house to fill. You will collect art assets as "furniture" (preferably in a separate bag space/UI) and will be able to place said furniture in the spaces in your plot/inside your house.

Finally, the last bit. Potential issues with the idea (except for how taxing it may be for Blizzard to implement). I honestly can't think of much, other than the issue most had with garrisons: everybody was in their garrison and not out in the actual game world. I would wager this is hardly an issue now considering that most people aren't out in the game world, they are playing patch content or in solely the new expansion areas. I would also say, a way to alleviate this is further is to not allow for profession use inside your home plot. No anvils, disable leatherworking, whatever. You are forced to use the cities as a way to use professions, as well as access banking and auctions. Perhaps no mailbox either (might be too harsh).

Pros:

Replayable non-combat content that all players can enjoy in some way.
    Easy additions after building the structure for the system. New art can be added as new furniture items in the future.
    Potential revitalization of some professions
    Potential new profession
    A whole new sector for the economy to enter
    (I am biased here) Would be awesome for roleplayers.

Cons:

Would take people out of cities, making the world feel a bit less populated, though I address how little of an issue this is above.
    I can't think of any more.
    Last edited by jadedfuture; 2019-06-10 at 06:54 AM.

Blizz? Do anything for roleplayers? Not gonna happen. They said they were testing the housing waters with garrisons, and well, that was a disaster. So, in Blizzard mind, that means housing would be a disaster. Even though it's different things, but yeah.

Garrisons were the closest we've had to player housing thus far and people really hated how empty the world felt during them. Personally I loved garrisons and would love player housing, but given how people reacted to the garrisons (including spokespeople from Blizzard), I just don't see player housing being a feature in 9.0.

Pirate expansion. Guilds can have a pirate ships. I have like, tons of incredible ideas for such an xpac, but blizz won't hire me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zensunni View Post
    Pirate expansion. Guilds can have a pirate ships. I have like, tons of incredible ideas for such an xpac, but blizz won't hire me.
    My dude, I haven't sent them my resume. It's an idea thread, just like class skins.

Quote Originally Posted by Dastreus View Post
    Blizz? Do anything for roleplayers? Not gonna happen. They said they were testing the housing waters with garrisons, and well, that was a disaster. So, in Blizzard mind, that means housing would be a disaster. Even though it's different things, but yeah.
    But again, this isn't strictly a feature that roleplayers would use, and in other games is a feature beloved by all different kinds of players. I only mentioned it once in my pros/cons because I want it even moreso than a lot of players because I RP.

Quote Originally Posted by jadedfuture View Post
    My dude, I haven't sent them my resume. It's an idea thread, just like class skins.

But again, this isn't strictly a feature that roleplayers would use, and in other games is a feature beloved by all different kinds of players. I only mentioned it once in my pros/cons because I want it even moreso than a lot of players because I RP.
    Oh when I played wow I also RP'd. I get it, but Blizz doesn't.

15+ Year Old Account
    I hope not, I rather see new unique armor sets. If I want housing I play the Sims.

no,we dont,this is what ruined wow,catering to pvp arenas,mythic+,pet battles,mount collections,achievment hunting,casual care bear ''raiding'' etc,if you enjoy these things play something like hello kitty

Quote Originally Posted by jadedfuture View Post
    What I think we all can agree on is that WoW needs content outside of the loop of Outdoor Content / Instanced PVE or PVP
    Yeah, and it's not player housing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Player Housing v1: Garrison
    Player Housing v2: Class Hall
    Player Housing v3: Death of WoW
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

Ugh, not another thread...

7+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard and the playerbase don't seem to understand what player housing is if they think the garrison was anything that's resembling it.

Quote Originally Posted by deenman View Post
    no,we dont,this is what ruined wow,catering to pvp arenas,mythic+,pet battles,mount collections,achievment hunting,casual care bear ''raiding'' etc,if you enjoy these things play something like hello kitty
    Damn those evil evil casuals!

Formerly known as Arafal

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shade3891 View Post
    I hope not, I rather see new unique armor sets. If I want housing I play the Sims.
    And if we wanted pet battles, we'd play Pokemon.

Except they still are part of the game, funny that.

Quote Originally Posted by KaPe View Post
    And if we wanted pet battles, we'd play Pokemon.

Except they still are part of the game, funny that.
    We already have """"player housing""""" (garrisons)

"bar to serve drinks at"
    I will never understand the need for this...

I enjoyed the argument against players not being out in the world due to garrisons to be "they aren't out in the world anyway lol". Dunno. I see people everywhere for worlds quests and incursions.
    Last edited by Kumorii; 2019-06-10 at 09:25 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Housing nooo its such a waste of developers work for a really minor audience and poor content.
    Last edited by czarek; 2019-06-10 at 09:27 AM.

Yes! Let's hang out in a space that doesn't matter to the game and only brings a collectability factor! *fix the problems of wow*

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanderez View Post
    I'm genuinly curious on how you know this. I've seen many people request this over the years and it was a big thing in my guild when I played ESO.

If you do have some sort of data of it, I'd actually love to see it. No offence intended
    Yes i saw requests also but i never see big audience about that. And add smth like this to the game needs really a lot of work. I dont think so its valuable now. Maybe in future.

It is a pointless addition to the game. WoW already suffers from being reduced to being a pointless collection game over an rpg making it worse won't help.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Has lost its way View Post
    It is a pointless addition to the game. WoW already suffers from being reduced to being a pointless collection game over an rpg making it worse won't help.
    But housing is great for RPG purposes. Or should Blizz just spit dungeons and raids, and !@#& anything else?
    Quote Originally Posted by trimble View Post
    WoD was the expansion that was targeted at non raiders.