Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    sawed off shot guns are the best for home defense. Fuck aiming, spray them down
    A shot gun can not have a barrel less then 18" long. And it is a felon to saw them off shorter than that. A normal shotgun is a good choice however. And do not believe those who say it has to be a 12 ga. A 20 ga, has less recoil and can still do the job.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Amadeus View Post
    Can't argue with any of the above I would say it's 100% right on, unfortunately it's very rarely understood, and that is a problem. A person can get used to anything, but whether you feel you are effected or not is irrelevant, if you're human your senses are going to be on edge, but it's the practice that will make the difference.

It's why run of the mill jack asses who fire at cops for example, almost always always lose. Some stupid kid or asshole with a gun isn't really going to be a match for a cop with training.

However put the cops up against say a former marine, or someone who has had serious military training, the tables can turn. I point this out to illustrate the points you made.

Over a 22, I almost take the pokey stick LOL, growing up every knuckle headed gang banger or want to be either had a 9mm or a .22, typically because both are cheap, easier to steal.

The problem is most times if someone survives being shot and that doesn't happen unless it was like me and they missed, which happens even more often. If someone shoots as intended with a gun the victims is going to die.

However any of those I ever seen survive have been .22 typically with it stuck in them.

Cheap, typically police issue, with a nice holster something leather and comfortable, this works.
    My wife's cousin was killed attacking a guy who used a .22 revolver to defend himself with.

And you actually suggesting a cheap firearm? lol! What is cheap?
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    A shot gun can not have a barrel less then 18" long. And it is a felon to saw them off shorter than that. A normal shotgun is a good choice however. And do not believe those who say it has to be a 12 ga. A 20 ga, has less recoil and can still do the job.

- - - Updated - - -

My wife's cousin was killed attacking a guy who used a .22 revolver to defend himself with.

People have been killed by paintball guns too, my point is it's not reliable especially for a first gun IMO.

I am not suggesting anything, I just gave some ideas, Beretta 9mm are pretty sturdy, tried and proven. Tested and what not

Ideas meaning SEE here are some guns to think about, as I said not hey here you should buy this, if it were me I already said what I would do.

However cheap
    Milli Vanilli, Bigger than Elvis

I want this, but I can't really justify the expenditure when I already have two guns.

- - - Updated - - -

The problem with a normal shotgun or any rifle for home defense is that the barrel can be inconvenient when turning corners in close quarters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ruger makes some really nice revolvers. No question there and also pistols. The EAA Vindicator .357 mag is a very solid revolver however.

I do not consider the .380 auto to be under-powered to the point of functioning as a effective self defense firearm. But I also understand where you are coming from. I mean, a .38 special is underpowered if you compare it to a .357 mag. Even a .22 can function as a self defense firearm. My wife's cousin, died when he attacked a guy with a knife in his apartment from a .22. Shot placement is important.

Ammo is also important thing to consider. For my .380 auto, I use the expensive ARX Inceptor. It easily passes the FBI's min standard for penetration tests. The projectile travels much faster than a standard .380 auto.

Your other points is really good.

- - - Updated - - -

Hehe. Watermelons are also fun to shoot and the mess? Will go away on it's own in a few days. I enjoy shooting black powder rifles. The AR-15's and SKS are also a lot of fun to shoot.
    While I totally agree shot placement is vital, I always prefer to have the most reliable and effective round I can. I try to avoid overly expensive defensive rounds because I like to shoot what I carry enough that I feel it is not likely to misfire.

- - - Updated - - -

Some good advice and Glocks are good firearms. Not questioning that. And as a side note tied to our price discussion, was in a store today which sells firearms and they had the Smith & Wesson pistols ( semi-auto) SD9VE ( 9mm ) or the SD40VE ( 40 cal. ) on sale for $289. Normal price is $319.99.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't say never. I have seen videos showing armed robbers, with shotguns. And in a gun fight, a rifle or shot gun, would be my first line of defense if I had the choice. Rifle if distance was a factor. Handguns are more convenient. And since in Ohio you can only carry a handgun concealed ( even then only with a license ), if I have to use one for self defense outside of my home, it will be with a handgun.
    Glocks can be good, but my Glock 30 is the only handgun I have never felt safe carrying with a round in the chamber. A light trigger pull coupled with no real external safety just isnt a good combination in my mind.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter3000 View Post
    The problem with a normal shotgun or any rifle for home defense is that the barrel can be inconvenient when turning corners in close quarters.
    They are best used in a static defense, which is usually the best idea in home defense anyway when possible.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by justandulas View Post
    Do you see many home burglars coming with shotguns and ar’s? Never.

That said, I have a 12 gauge and a 357. Someone can break in, but they won’t be getting out.
    All im saying is if its for home defense why put yourself at a possible disadvantage? Id take my glock 17 over your 357 anyday. Less recoil and more possible rounds on target.

only a moron tells you a handgun for home defense. You talking conceal and carry or open carry. Revolver is fine or semi whatever you are comfortable. For home every idiot who recommended a handgun should be slapped in the face. Shotgun only. Want to kill your neighbor or the kid down the hall while you have a Jon Woo gunfight get a pistol for home defense. Want to protect your family, end it quick and not kill anyone but the intruder. Get a goddamn shotgun. Fuck, most people shouldn't own guns if this is even a fucking question.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirza View Post
    I want this, but I can't really justify the expenditure when I already have two guns.

Ive been wanting a Beowulf for a while its an AR platform chambered in 50 cal. They have one that has a wood stock and I just fell in love with the rifle but I cant afford it right now. Its really not that expensive for an AR rig but I just cant justify spending 1,600 on what is basically a toy.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by spdr View Post
    All im saying is if its for home defense why put yourself at a possible disadvantage? Id take my glock 17 over your 357 anyday. Less recoil and more possible rounds on target.
    I will take the .357's heavier bullet traveling at a higher velocity from a more reliable and accurate firearm.

7+ Year Old Account
    I've chosen a reliable WW2 bazooka for home defense and always carry a stick of dynamite plus a few rotten eggs as concealed carrying when going places!

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post
    Ive been wanting a Beowulf for a while its an AR platform chambered in 50 cal. They have one that has a wood stock and I just fell in love with the rifle but I cant afford it right now. Its really not that expensive for an AR rig but I just cant justify spending 1,600 on what is basically a toy.

https://www.gunsandammo.com/editoria...n-rifle/331104

I could never go for wood stock personally, I like the aesthetic of cold engineering.
    Last edited by Thirza; 2019-06-11 at 06:22 AM.

7+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by spdr View Post
    Personally, I use shotgun 12 gauge as my first line of home defense. Ghost panther weighed in earlier and explained it in very good detail. Far better than me. I won’t pretend to be an ezpert on guns tbh

10+ Year Old Account
    People have been killed by paintball guns too, my point is it's not reliable especially for a first gun IMO.

I am not suggesting anything, I just gave some ideas, Beretta 9mm are pretty sturdy, tried and proven. Tested and what not

Ideas meaning SEE here are some guns to think about, as I said not hey here you should buy this, if it were me I already said what I would do.

However cheap
    In comparison to the number killed by a .22? The .22 is still a firearm caliber and is very capable in killing a human being. Is it as powerful as other rounds? No. But I am sure you would rather get hit with a paintball projectile than a .22. :P

I will change my term then to......ideas. lol!

Berettas are well known to be nice firearms. No disputing there.

And cheap can be based on perspective. I am sure a multi-millionaire who drives as new Jag SUV, thinks my Nissan Rogue is cheap. But for myself, it does the job for me just fine.

Thanks for your....ideas.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    While I totally agree shot placement is vital, I always prefer to have the most reliable and effective round I can. I try to avoid overly expensive defensive rounds because I like to shoot what I carry enough that I feel it is not likely to misfire.

- - - Updated - - -

Glocks can be good, but my Glock 30 is the only handgun I have never felt safe carrying with a round in the chamber. A light trigger pull coupled with no real external safety just isnt a good combination in my mind.

- - - Updated - - -

They are best used in a static defense, which is usually the best idea in home defense anyway when possible.
    I see your point. The ARX also offers less recoil. But it is not a round I would use to practice with. Too expensive.

Yeah. Having a light trigger pull with no external safety? Not a good thing. The revolver having the long trigger pull of about 10 pounds or so, I am not as concerned about accidental discharge as long as it has a transfer safety bar. The older revolvers do not have them and they can not be safe carrying with a round in the chamber. My LCPII, has only a trigger safety bar, but the trigger pull is rather firm and there is a very noticeable resistance just before you can release the hammer to fire it. I really like it's trigger.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

i dual wield semi auto glocks and i keep a .500 magnum with a sniper scope between my buttcheeks.

GUNS!
    No sense crying over spilt beer, unless you're drunk...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    only a moron tells you a handgun for home defense. You talking conceal and carry or open carry. Revolver is fine or semi whatever you are comfortable. For home every idiot who recommended a handgun should be slapped in the face. Shotgun only. Want to kill your neighbor or the kid down the hall while you have a Jon Woo gunfight get a pistol for home defense. Want to protect your family, end it quick and not kill anyone but the intruder. Get a goddamn shotgun. Fuck, most people shouldn't own guns if this is even a fucking question.
    You can still kill a family member by shooting thru drywall walls with a shotgun. Several tests have proved that. But I do agree it is safer for your neighbors. With any firearm, being aware of your surroundings is vital. But I also agree with your point that a shotgun is a better home defense weapon than a handgun. For the average gun owner.

Here is a short video to explain my point...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    I will take the .357's heavier bullet traveling at a higher velocity from a more reliable and accurate firearm.
    Good point. There is a hell of a difference between a .357 mag versus a 9mm. I just wish they made a .357 mag that did not feel like I was carrying a brick and was low profile, along with low printing.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vargulf the Happy Husky View Post
    i dual wield semi auto glocks and i keep a .500 magnum with a sniper scope between my buttcheeks.

GUNS!
    Well, not to make light of the shooting tragic event recently in Va., but the shooter dual wielded .45 cal pistols. Sadly, he was very effective. Also the shooter back a few years ago at Virginia Tech in Va. ( which remains the largest death toll of any school shooting in the US ) , also dual wielded. And for those who think a .22 is not a deadly weapon, one of his handguns he used was a .22.
    Last edited by Ghostpanther; 2019-06-11 at 01:57 PM.

5+ Year Old Account

Cheap, typically police issue, with a nice holster something leather and comfortable, this works.
    I'll second the Beretta 92 with a few caveats. Firstly, the size relative to the capacity is problematic for some people. I have big hands, so mine fits me just fine, but it is a damn huge pistol for a 15 round capacity (though this point is partially invalidated with some of Mecgar's newer offerings, iirc). This can be remedied somewhat by swapping the grip panels out for something else.

Secondly, the DA trigger is hellaciously heavy. I'd seriously recommend anyone who has one of these check out the replacement hammer springs from Wilson Combat. I haven't had my coffee yet, so I'm a little fuzzy, but I wanna say I have the 13# spring in mine. It easily cuts the DA trigger pull in half, and makes the SA trigger just an absolute joy to shoot. Only catch is that WC doesn't recommend dropping below a 16# (iirc) spring for self defense, as there's a chance harder primers won't detonate with lighter springs. I will point out though that anecdotally, I have never had a light strike on my 92.

Thirdly, the slide mounted safety is an issue for some people, as it's entirely possible to accidentally make the pistol safe (or decocked, depending) while racking a round, though practice with the gun should eliminate this (I've never done it myself). Fourth, it's a pain in the ass to change sights on the older models. I have a stock 92FS, and that front sight is fixed, so...very limited night sight options, which I've spoiled myself on. I have found that for $13, one can buy a bottle of high quality luminescent paint and do a cheap glow-in-the-dark sight job. I've done that on my P320 and Beretta, and I really can't tell the difference between those two and my factory VP9 luminescent sights after a quick hit with a flashlight.

Excellent pistol and a fantastic suggestion though, even bone stock. Just figured a few pointers for anyone interested would be handy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruor View Post
    Ive looked at Sig320, PPQ and VP9... I don't really think you can go wrong, I just have to make a choice I guess. I may just do a CZP01 for the "tactical" things like a rail and more ammo held.
    All excellent suggestions; it's really hard to go wrong with any of them. Practicality kinda nods towards the P320 and just the crazy amount of shit you can do with that modularity, though at the price point SIG offers the conversion kits at, it's just as well to buy a new gun for the desired caliber. The kits, though, are excellent if you're like me and live in a state where pistols are only sold on a one-per-permit basis (and you don't have your CCW permit because you've been lazy). But, presuming one stays in 9mm, it's awesome to be able to swap from a carry/duty sized weapon to a small concealed carry weapon for pennies on the dollar, comparatively, and while being able to keep any tweaks or adjustments done to the fire control unit. Also, though I haven't checked around yet, I'd bet good money the aftermarket is going to go bonkers due to the recent MHS adoption by the Army.

EDIT: Got the mood to go web shopping and found a damn good deal on the P320C Romeo1 slide...full slide assembly with the sight mounted already. My wallet hates you all, but the rest of me loves you guys for this thread.
    Last edited by Reaper0329; 2019-06-11 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall (of text)

Quote Originally Posted by Amerissis View Post
    The police.
    So you prefer your help served 10-25 minutes after you need it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nathreim View Post

My Brother in Law put together a Nice AR Chambered in .458 Socom, I had every intention of doing my next AR as a .50 Cal Beowulf, then I checked into ammo prices and damn, your looking at like $2.00/ Round even If we do reloads we looked and they were like $1.25. So I decided to go with .300 Blackout, I love this round and the Sub-sonic ammo with a Suppressor is great.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormdash View Post
    So you prefer your help served 10-25 minutes after you need it?
    Yes, I prefer that to school shootings.