Page 1 of 24
... LastLast

Red face I was WRONG about Classic (Confession time)

So I've been talking about how great Classic will be and have probably been one of the biggest fanboys around. However I recently got into the beta and I have to admit I got it completely and totally wrong. A few minutes after sitting there hitting mobs you get the sinking feeling of "I'm too old for this". Having to click each individual mob to loot them is painfully tedious. I got to level 5 on my Rogue and realised I couldn't play any more. I've realised that the quality of life improvements in the main game aren't the problem, it's just that BfA has been a lacklustre expansion and I believe this will rapidly change with the release of 8.2. I now think that 8.2 will kill Classic not the other way around.

I just wanted to apologise to all the people I attacked for doubting the success of Classic. I believe many, many people will go through the same experience as I have.
    Last edited by WowClassic; 2019-06-13 at 05:25 PM.

It will come down to personal preference. Those things won't bother some people at all. Personally I feel a bit meh about the whole thing and my beta experience hasn't changed that. There are some cool things about Classic, but I don't see myself putting much time into it. But I hope it's successful and I hope there will be a good chunk of people who really enjoy it.

15+ Year Old Account
    And i got into the stress test and had a great time like i knew i would. Oh well.

Salty Feline Overlord Beerbill Society's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Classic is not for everyone, and there is no problem with that.

"... And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers, and you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee." - Ezekiel 25:17

"My name is Legion: for we are many." - Mark 5:9
    My characters :3

I feel Classic is like going back to school. It might have been fun at the time but no way I would do it again.

Some people will enjoy it.
    Some will hate it.
    Some will never try it.

It is all preference. It is a nice option to have, so long as it does not (and they have said it has not) detract from Live content production.

That’s ok, it goes either way.

Some overhyped people will love it, some will realise that it was just rose-tinted nostalgia goggles.

Both are fine To each their own. Loads of people will still enjoy Classic.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Nelaphim-EX View Post
    Some people will enjoy it.
    Some will hate it.
    Some will never try it.

It is all preference. It is a nice option to have, so long as it does not (and they have said it has not) detract from Live content production.
    Amen to that!
    "There is no end to education. It is not that you read a book, pass an examination, and finish with education. The whole of life, from the moment you are born to the moment you die, is a process of learning." by Jiddu Krishnamurti, Philosopher and Educator

Quote Originally Posted by THCRaven View Post
    You mean 8.3 because 8.2 is before classic release.
    Pretty sure he means 8.2. Y could kill X before X is publicly released ... that's not a logically out of bounds statement. I don't agree with him but I understand what he is saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    I played the 20 demo as ret and hated it. I am still willing to give it a chance at launch, though my available playtime is probably too limited to grind all the way to 60.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WowClassic View Post
    So I've been talking about how great Classic will be and have probably been one of the biggest fanboys around. However I recently got into the beta and I have to admit I got it completely and totally wrong. A few minutes after sitting there hitting mobs you get the sinking feeling of "I'm too old for this". Having to click each individual mob to loot them is painfully tedious. I got to level 5 on my Rogue and realised I couldn't play any more. I've realised that the quality of life improvements in the main game aren't the problem, it's just that BfA has been a lacklustre expansion and I believe this will rapidly change with the release of 8.2. I now think that 8.2 will kill Classic not the other way around.

I just wanted to apologise to all the people I attacked for doubting the success of Classic. I believe many, many people will go through the same experience as I have.
    Nay, I knew better already. Don't have any plan to go back. It was a good run and a good game when I played it 13-14 years ago, but it can't be brought back. The "mass interest" will be very short-lived (reason for the interest in the first place is mainly because idiots like myself have reminisced and openly praised it for pretty much since). It's sorta like your grandparents telling stories of their youth (and in many cases, their struggle). It could sound cool and primitive, but would you ever trade your shoes for theirs?

Saying 8.2 will kill Classic though, that is a crazy claim. Classic will kill Classic through not really being Classic. 8.2 could possibly save BFA from being regarded a mega-flop of an expansion, but that's about it. Still, it's so sad we have to spend half the run of the expansion (again!) waiting for the developers to amend their flaws instead of polishing their content to begin with. Here's to hoping...

Quote Originally Posted by Denso View Post
    Saying 8.2 will kill Classic though, that is a crazy claim. Classic will kill Classic through not really being Classic. 8.2 could possibly save BFA from being regarded a mega-flop of an expansion, but that's about it. Still, it's so sad we have to spend half the run of the expansion (again!) waiting for the developers to amend their flaws instead of polishing their content to begin with. Here's to hoping...
    I think 8.2 will be good enough to kill a lot of the demand from people who were maybe thinking about it only because of BfA being lacklustre. And a long-running beta process will also dampen a lot of the hype because it no longer feels like this new shiny thing. A lot of Classic interest has been FOMO, I know this having been guilty of it myself. Classic was SO enticing when reading about it and watching streams, but the reality is completely different once you get into it. The one good thing is that it's made me appreciate the things they've added to the main game more, for example I'm now tempted to start finding a guild to push high key Mythic dungeons.

10+ Year Old Account
    One thing I am excited about is having a tight server community again. Not a fan of cross server general chat and such. It is something I was liking about ESO. The people you see, you will see again and again. I like the social aspect of smaller communities.
    RIP Genn Greymane, Permabanned on 8.22.18

Your name will carry on through generations, and will never be forgotten.

Quote Originally Posted by roboscorcher View Post
    I played the 20 demo as ret and hated it. I am still willing to give it a chance at launch, though my available playtime is probably too limited to grind all the way to 60.
    I'd say a great number of us spent about a year just getting to 60, some even longer, when WoW first launched. It wasn't a race and you just played an hour here and there at nights, the occasional long stretch on a weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Denso View Post
    Classic will kill Classic through not really being Classic.
    This is quite possibly the dumbest possible sentiment. If things like server infrastructure differences and Battlenet integration will "ruin" the vanilla experience for you, you're just searching for things to be mad about.

8.2 could possibly save BFA from being regarded a mega-flop of an expansion, but that's about it.
    No wait, I was wrong.
    BfA isn't a "mega-flop" outside of an echo chamber of people who take the opinion of twitch streamers as gospel. It is (right now) objectively better than WoD, as there are three available raids and the expansion isn't over yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathandira View Post
    One thing I am excited about is having a tight server community again. Not a fan of cross server general chat and such. It is something I was liking about ESO. The people you see, you will see again and again. I like the social aspect of smaller communities.
    That's one of the greatest losses that came with MMOs getting hugely popular rather than maintaining a little more of a niche genre.

OH NO A PERSONAL OPINION WRITTEN AS IT SHOULD HAVE MATTERED AT ALL! Except it doesn't. For me, classic is better in every damn aspect, it actually feels like an MMO compared to retail. I will play both, because I like raiding in retail, and the odd arena every now and then. But I much more prefer the MMO aspect of Vanilla/Classic.

It is two completely different games which will have two completely different playbases. Neither will kill the other, they will simply exist next to each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Why does "X" always have to potentially kill "Y"? Why can´t we just agree that both "X" and "Y" is ok, and can live side by side

Quote Originally Posted by WowClassic View Post

So funny, this is *exactly* how I felt when I got to 8 on my priest. There's a decent chance I'll play it at launch, but no way I can go through the tedium of it knowing it will be wiped.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well props to the OP for actually apologising. Judging by their posting history they were pretty damn condescending towards people who simply enjoy modern WoW and its convenience/ease of access, calling people newfags, uSiNG mIxEd cAsE to effectively call people autists.

I mean I can literally quote the OP here from a post he made on 27th May:
    "Instead of sperging out on MMO-C why don't you run off back to retail, leave Classic to the intelligent adults."
    Charming man.

In any case looting individual mobs isn't that big a deal in classic. You still have auto-loot. Unless you're doing massive AoE pulls, you usually don't have very many corpses to loot in one go. If you think 8.2 will revive BfA, more power to you, but from what I've seen in the clips, it will boost it somewhat, but certainly not revive it to the level you're hoping.
    Last edited by Will; 2019-06-13 at 05:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelangel View Post
    This is quite possibly the dumbest possible sentiment. If things like server infrastructure differences and Battlenet integration will "ruin" the vanilla experience for you, you're just searching for things to be mad about.

No wait, I was wrong.
    BfA isn't a "mega-flop" outside of an echo chamber of people who take the opinion of twitch streamers as gospel. It is (right now) objectively better than WoD, as there are three available raids and the expansion isn't over yet.
    I don't think that makes it objectively better by any stretch of the imagination. In the end, it's going to be subjective as to what people believe. Personally, I think WoD was terrible, but I felt BfA was even worse... by a bit. Of course, I'd be hard pressed to say that BfA is objectively worse. I simply enjoyed it much less, because I was playing a druid, where three of the four specs were either severely untertuned, or simply broken.