Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Hmm, not sure, it's about that time that they were draining the swamps here, so I'd either be dead in a few hours in a swamp or fine for a long time (until I got some medieval disease).

I don't know wether the local mcd is build on a naturally occurring elevation or if it the product of industrialization either way I'd end up in a swamp miles away from nearby settlements, I'd probably die within a few weeks.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    North Georgia, United States. I'd probably be in some shit.

I do have some survival knowledge/skills (and I don't have any health conditions that require medical supplies or I'll die like diabetes, for example, so I have that advantage), but the 1000-year time difference is going to introduce a lot of new threats that I'm not going to be prepared for. Particularly, diseases that my body can't handle.

And yeah, I imagine the natives aren't gonna take kindly to some random naked white dude who just appeared out of nowhere. So I either get murdered and scalped first, or I die slowly/painfully from some strange disease. Maybe my best option here is to just charge the first group of natives I come across and end it quickly.

I would stand naked right into the town, then most likely thrown out of town. Communicating might be possible with a few words I could understand, or speaking latin with some cleric.

Then I would have to beg, perhaps people saw me apparing out of nowhere and believe I was sent by some wonder (which might be true anyway), and perhaps I can make them believe I am some saint. Luckily this would be some time before the inquisition.

If that doesn't work I would most likely have to steal, and still die of hunger or some disease a few weeks later.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidzor View Post
    I'd probably be in some shit.

I do have some survival knowledge/skills (and I don't have any health conditions that require medical supplies or I'll die like diabetes, for example, so I have that advantage), but the 1000-year time difference is going to introduce a lot of new threats that I'm not going to be prepared for. Particularly, diseases that my body can't handle.

And yeah, I imagine the natives aren't gonna take kindly to some random naked white dude who just appeared out of nowhere. So I either get murdered and scalped first, or I die slowly/painfully from some strange disease. Maybe my best option here is to just charge the first group of natives I come across and end it quickly.
    Lol! This is Sparta!!!

If people do happen to end up in a section of the world with a large population, would also have to lie a lot. Even if they know the local language. ( not likely ) If you expressed your knowledge of what modern science has taught us, they would more than likely burn you at the stake.
    " If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher.." - Abraham Lincoln
    The Constitution be never construed to authorize Congress to - prevent the people of the United States, who are peaceable citizens, from keeping their own arms..” - Samuel Adams

Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    You're 25. You walk into a McDonalds and poof! You're transported back in time a thousand years. You're completely naked. The McDonalds is gone and you find yourself in a pasture, the same spot as the McDonalds but a 1,000 years ago.

How long do you think you could survive? What is your strategy for survival?
    I'm a diabetic, I have to have insulin to live. Given that there are no pharmacies and I don't have a clue about how insulin is made, I'd last a few days I guess?

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Lol! This is Sparta!!!

If people do happen to end up in a section of the world with a large population, would also have to lie a lot. Even if they know the local language. ( not likely ) If you expressed your knowledge of what modern science has taught us, they would more than likely burn you at the stake.
    Yeah, that's true. I imagine anyone in what is now anywhere between North and South America would probably be fucked 1000 years ago just because the natives are everywhere. And their first reaction upon crossing paths with you would likely be to scream gibberish and murder the absolute shit out of you (and probably use your bones/teeth to make tools and stuff afterwards).

But there are some other places where you might be able to bullshit around for a little while. Although you still have the whole "diseases that my body can't handle" problem regardless, I think.

edit: bonus points if I somehow manage to last a few weeks before I Sparta charge the natives, because by then, I might have a Leonidas beard.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-06-18 at 01:08 AM.

I'd probably go looking for a job? The city I live in was around already a 1000 years ago.

10+ Year Old Account
    Naked in the middle of what will eventually be Arizona? If I didn't die of heat stroke or dehydration I would probably be bitten by a snake or stung by a scorpion or something. No way would I last even a day and I highly doubt anyone else would do any better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bethanie View Post
    We believe the gardens have existed in roughly the same place for over a thousand years, though they were formally laid out in the 16th century.
    That is entirely plausible. Studies have shown that England's settlement structure other than modern cities is much as the Romans have laid it out.

Where I'm right now I'd probably be ok, since I can read and write (and speak) in latin and this used to be one of the biggest cities in the world at that time and I'd end up right outside the main entrance.

There were no natives living in the valley I live in here in VA (although they did pass through occasionally). I know where to get access to running water that has clearly been there for a long damn time. Food would be an issue though. I think I'd last until I got weak from hunger and loneliness damaged my mental state and then I'd go jump off one of the mountains.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by freefolk View Post
    You're 25. You walk into a McDonalds and poof! You're transported back in time a thousand years. You're completely naked. The McDonalds is gone and you find yourself in a pasture, the same spot as the McDonalds but a 1,000 years ago.

How long do you think you could survive? What is your strategy for survival?
    You dont survive long, because you have no natural immunities to anything you are in contact with, and no humans you make contact with survive either for the same reason.

--- Want any of my Constitutional rights?, ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    I come from a time and a place where I judge people by the content of their character; I don't give a damn if you are tall or short; gay or straight; Jew or Gentile; White, Black, Brown or Green; Conservative or Liberal. -- Note to mods: if you are going to infract me have the decency to post the reason, and expect to hold everyone else to the same standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aenigma84 View Post
    you might be ok
    there isnt much sugar in the diet 1000years ago so hyperglycemia can probably be avoided
    and considering insulin is mostly to drop your sugarlevels adepting a keto type diet would probably keep you alive tbh
    two types of diabeties, your describing type 2, i'm type 1, and even if not taking any sugar, I'd still go into either hyper or hypoglycemia eventually. Type 2 probably could survive but food back then wasn't plentiful or varied, so hardly the kind of control diets a type 2 would have today.
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by Seranthor View Post
    You dont survive long, because you have no natural immunities to anything you are in contact with, and no humans you make contact with survive either for the same reason.
    The discovery of America wiped out all of humanity!
    You heard it here first

Quote Originally Posted by XangXu View Post
    Well first thing is first. Take a rock and bang a tree to get some wood. Then when you have enough build a 2x2 base with an air lock.
    I'd get door camped by a bunch of natives.

Realistically in my area I think Id get killed pretty quick, Im a much much lighter shade( metis) than the people indigenous to this area 1000 years ago. Survival skill wise I could live.

Urgh, medival europe and according to my towns wiki page it might have been founded at least. Well, not really founded as a town, more like an outpost of with a few hunters. The first mention is in regards to the border of some hunting grounds, so I might be lucky and meet some people. A hundret years later and I'd ahve good chances with a small town and the fort that had been established in the meantime. But since it's a thousand, well I would probably survive after some awkward encounter with a few hunters and coudl start messing with history from that point forward.

The biggest issue would be that besides having no chance to properly talk with the people back then (no fucking clue about Old High German), the next center of population at that time is far away. I'd need to make my way to Augsburg and maybe woo the regent at the time with some simple tech that wouldn't cause me to be labled a heretic or something like that. Maybe I could cheat my way into their hearts with a simple steam engine, nah scrap that, too dangerous without welding. It would probably be better to just formalize basic mechanical engineering to the point that they could build more effcient lumber mills (believed to have been lost between 700 A.D and 1300 A.D.) and smithing aides (automatic hammer). That might be enough to spare me war service and life as comfortable as possible. Worst part, besides sanitary issues, would definitely be that I'd have to spend alot of valuable time pretending to be a faithfull christian.

Edit: I forgot that I'm 2m tall. I'd be fucked as some kind of giant if the first few hunters that find don't like my nacked ass.. since most people were fucking midgets back then.

Edit: Damn just realized that the printing press was invented in 1439, that's another great one in the category of "tech that doesn't get you burned at the stake" for my fellow europeans .
    Last edited by Cosmic Janitor; 2019-06-17 at 03:40 PM.

In the Chicago area, so I have plenty of fresh water and near the lakes so I am good there. I would need to befriend the local indians somehow and learn to survive. All in all, I think I would be ok.

My first course of action would be to introduce that age to a select number of swears from the 21st century.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormcall View Post
    I'm a diabetic, I have to have insulin to live. Given that there are no pharmacies and I don't have a clue about how insulin is made, I'd last a few days I guess?
    Depending on where you are you might able to extract it from pigs organs if you find a butcher. But you'd be up against the clock and compatibility with pig insulin is kinda shitty for alot of people, let alone injection is probably out of the question.