Poll: Should WoW have a WoW 2 1.x?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    No I think YOU fail to see my point, if Blizzard made a "Wow 2" they would inherently discontinue support and evolution the Original Wow. That is what I have an issue with. I enjoy Wow, for my own personal reasons, and Have no interest in tossing aside 12 years of "work" and effort, to start fresh in another one. Yes I play other game, This does not mean I want to stop playing the ones I already play.
    Oh, I don't believe that's necessarily true. Look at EQ/EQ2.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    Oh, I don't believe that's necessarily true. Look at EQ/EQ2.
    And are these games run by Activision /Blizzard? No they are not, and with Activision blizzard doing what they can to scrape up more profits, from Micro-transactions, and Fan funded Tournament prizes, all the way up to Lay offs on their side, do you really think they would spend the resources and money keeping two separate versions of the same game running and up to date. Look at SC and SC2, As it is, SC2 barely sees updates and patches, and it one of their more popular games, next to Wow, let alone SC. I think I've seen 2-3 Patches to SC since the "Battlenet Launcher" was created.

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Wouldn't it simply be nice if WoW started over, on even ground with your peers?

WoW has simply become a "collection" game these days, and it isn't very fun. Play /Pay to collect "rare" mounts, or "rare" pets.

This isn't why we used to play, IS IT?

People will say, just play Classic (Vanilla). What if I would rather just play WotLK? TBC .. or, curse me later, Pandaria?

It's in most peoples general interest to just start over. There are too many variables.

And the "retail" version is quite dumb.

So, onto the poll!

CLARIFICATION:
    This is not about old games being relaunched, but rather a NEW WOW ... which is why it was always referred to as WoW 2 1.x
    1). No. In video games, as pretty much every aspect of life, I shouldn’t be on even ground after playing for 8+ years as someone who just picked up the game last week. Much like I shouldn’t be equal to the person who’s been playing for 10+ years and has done things I will never experience.
    2). No, WoW isn’t just a collection game. To say this just shows you are looking for reasons t hate the game that make little sense.
    3). People play for all sorts of reasons. Some people probably do play to collect things. I played to hang out with people from all parts of the world, push my skills in end game content, and even collect things.
    4). Blizzard stated they will possibly release BC and Wrath servers later on depending on the success of Classic and interest. So get your wallets and petitions ready.
    5). What a broad personal opinion. If I was still playing I would not want to start over. I wouldn’t want to say goodbye to my characters after having spent so much time with them. I wouldn’t want to lose everything I had worked for.
    6). “Retail dumb.” You lost a lot of merit in your post here. Instead of stating anything critically wrong with the current game, you made a personal opinion based attack and come off as just a simpleton for doing so.
    Clarification:
    Why do you want a “new” WoW? WoW is rehashed every xpac with new raids, lore, armor set, world building, and class designs, to name just a few. Blizzard could make a WoW 2 simply by leaving Azeroth and discovering a new planet. New species, races, etc can be found in doing so. If Blizz decides to they could add 40 new class/spec combos in a new xpac. People looking for WoW 2 are not going to be happy if Blizz ever makes a WoW 2 as it will still be the same company. Before you bring up “...but Classic!” there is a very broad line between remaking an old version to please a set group of fans vs trying to be inovative in moving forward.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Philomene View Post
    You know at some point wow servers are gonna shutdown so all your virtual goodies are gonna disappear anyway and the money spent for them will be lost ?
    Yes and? Does it mean it should happen sooner just because a small minority are too bored to play current retail and want the game to reset?

deviantART
    Simple Armory EU
    Simple Armory US
    Lodestone

It would be good if it was a different story entirely. Fast forward 10,000 years where all the present day heroes are all long gone and are remembered through tales of lore with statues and towns/cities named after them. New technologies have evolved as well as races over the course of 10,000 years. Magic schools could have intertwined to create new types of magic. The possibilities are endless when starting on a blank canvas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinytalon View Post
    Yes and? Does it mean it should happen sooner just because a small minority are too bored to play current retail and want the game to reset?
    I was just replying to the “what about all the money that was put in tcg”, like all loot boxes and buyable stuff in online games that require a proprietary server to work its lost when the game shuts down. Doesn’t really matter when. Blizz don’t really care about that since those people will just spend real bucks on ingame items in whatever wow 2.0 there is anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsgrace View Post
    And are these games run by Activision /Blizzard? No they are not, and with Activision blizzard doing what they can to scrape up more profits, from Micro-transactions, and Fan funded Tournament prizes, all the way up to Lay offs on their side, do you really think they would spend the resources and money keeping two separate versions of the same game running and up to date. Look at SC and SC2, As it is, SC2 barely sees updates and patches, and it one of their more popular games, next to Wow, let alone SC. I think I've seen 2-3 Patches to SC since the "Battlenet Launcher" was created.
    I think people have become extremely used to MMO's (and WoW) and how there is perpetual patches. What/why exactly does SC, SC2, Diablo 1/2/3 require updates/patches, unless you are referring to expansions and not actual patches? I don't believe I ever remember expecting a non-MMO to receive patches. Perhaps it's because before MMO's (Ultima Online was my first), there was few multiplayer games I ever played that would have necessitated a patch but still.

I don't think there's really any need for a WoW 2. They just need to change their design philosophy. Mix in some old wow with the new.

Yea but the OP was so terribad at asking his question. He talks about a WoW 2 1.x, and in the same breath talks about people saying 'play classic' and replies with 'what if I want to play LK, BC, Pandaria?'
    I get the confusion, but calling Classic "WoW 2" isn't ever going to be the same as Classic. Would I like a WoW 2 that's pretty much the exact same as Vanilla was or Classic is but with updated graphics, probably not tbh, but I'd really appreciate a WoW 2 with an alternate timeline(really only if there's no AP style system), that has no lore correlation, maybe even a 200 years later situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by scarecrowz View Post
    Trust me.

Zyky is better than you.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Philomene View Post
    I was just replying to the “what about all the money that was put in tcg”, like all loot boxes and buyable stuff in online games that require a proprietary server to work its lost when the game shuts down. Doesn’t really matter when. Blizz don’t really care about that since those people will just spend real bucks on ingame items in whatever wow 2.0 there is anyway.
    I wasn't only talking about TCG, though. It was one of the few things I was talking about. It was an example. Which of I made more than one.

deviantART
    Simple Armory EU
    Simple Armory US
    Lodestone

Quote Originally Posted by Vineri View Post
    Wouldn't it simply be nice if WoW started over, on even ground with your peers?

WoW has simply become a "collection" game these days, and it isn't very fun. Play /Pay to collect "rare" mounts, or "rare" pets.

This isn't why we used to play, IS IT?

People will say, just play Classic (Vanilla). What if I would rather just play WotLK? TBC .. or, curse me later, Pandaria?

It's in most peoples general interest to just start over. There are too many variables.

And the "retail" version is quite dumb.

So, onto the poll!

CLARIFICATION:
    This is not about old games being relaunched, but rather a NEW WOW ... which is why it was always referred to as WoW 2 1.x
    You can do exactly so, start over, with classic. Have at it.

WoW has been about collecting since day one. Tossing 15 years of that out the window would probably be the dumbest thing Blizzard could ever do.

You're playing it.

Pandaria/WoD was a soft reboot.

New models, engines, graphics etc. means its essentially an entirely different game for better or worse.

I just picture what this game would look like if they had a new graphics engine behind it that could emulate the same gameplay experience... wet dream

I think(?) that's what most people hope happens with classic. It would be a natural progression through to a certain point. I know I would definitely love to do classic->BC->LK again. At least I would know to stop caring at the end of LK. :P

snip
    For me personally the prospect of this happening is the main reason I'm reluctant to (plan to) play Classic when it launches. Both TBC and WotLK are expansions I have zero desire to revisit. Applies for all expansions except MoP really.

Quote Originally Posted by Simplex View Post
    For me personally the prospect of this happening is the main reason I'm reluctant to (plan to) play Classic when it launches. Both TBC and WotLK are expansions I have zero desire to revisit. Applies for all expansions except MoP really.
    With bringing MoP up as something you enjoyed, I can see why BC and LK aren’t high on your list, but then it makes me wonder how classic would be on your list.

10+ Year Old Account

Horde

I don't believe a 2nd game client will fix anything about WoW. I believe WoW 2.1.x will need to be a combination of things to work which inevitably not work.

First, will need to be a class design overhaul. This short term thinking of class design is frustrating and doesn't work imo. From Vanilla to Wrath we had the same talents + more every expansion, this caused bloating sure, but you definitely identified with not only your class identity but spec as well. Since then it's really felt like every expansion needs re-working. I can't say how they need to fix it since I'm not a developer, but Blizz can do it.

Second, is to take a bit longer on patches/expansion releases so we can get back that great slogan from Blizz.

"Soon™". I miss that Blizzard Quality was a standard in gaming, now it's a joke.

Third, I believe what will help WoW move in towards the right direction is everything related to graphics. I've been thinking about this since I read about the cancellation of that Starcraft FPS. It was mentioned that with newer games they want to keep using the Overwatch engine that they built. GREAT! WoW's custom engine has been what makes WoW standout to most MMO's and helps the fact that you can still play on a toaster plugged into a potato and raid. If they upgraded to Overwatch's engine for in-game models I believe that'd help a lot while still keeping that WoW cartoony charm that we've all come to love.
    If you take the wings off of a fly, is it a walk?

Quote Originally Posted by Felmourn View Post
    I don't believe a 2nd game client will fix anything about WoW. I believe WoW 2.1.x will need to be a combination of things to work which inevitably not work.

First, will need to be a class design overhaul. This short term thinking of class design is frustrating and doesn't work imo. From Vanilla to Wrath we had the same talents + more every expansion, this caused bloating sure, but you definitely identified with not only your class identity but spec as well. Since then it's really felt like every expansion needs re-working. I can't say how they need to fix it since I'm not a developer, but Blizz can do it.

Second, is to take a bit longer on patches/expansion releases so we can get back that great slogan from Blizz.

"Soon™". I miss that Blizzard Quality was a standard in gaming, now it's a joke.

Third, I believe what will help WoW move in towards the right direction is everything related to graphics. I've been thinking about this since I read about the cancellation of that Starcraft FPS. It was mentioned that with newer games they want to keep using the Overwatch engine that they built. GREAT! WoW's custom engine has been what makes WoW standout to most MMO's and helps the fact that you can still play on a toaster plugged into a potato and raid. If they upgraded to Overwatch's engine for in-game models I believe that'd help a lot while still keeping that WoW cartoony charm that we've all come to love.
    Definitely wow engine needs to be done anew so overall look&feel gets upgraded. Not just upgrading existing engine. And classses would need to be scrapped and remade anew. Maybe new combat system.

With bringing MoP up as something you enjoyed, I can see why BC and LK aren’t high on your list, but then it makes me wonder how classic would be on your list.
    Always felt both are more focused on the adventure rather than the epicness, which made the world more immersive to me. Did my fair share of raiding in LK/Cata and a bit less in BC and MoP but it never was a selling point for me.

Also disliked the general theme of LK or BC (undead and demons) and leveling trough that content made me abandon half of my alts over the years, meanwhile Jade Forest or Valley of the Four Winds along with Deepholm were places I always looked forward to.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kaminaris View Post
    Definitely wow engine needs to be done anew so overall look&feel gets upgraded. Not just upgrading existing engine. And classses would need to be scrapped and remade anew. Maybe new combat system.
    I would like a new combat system, but it takes away from what makes people comfortable with WoW. I think class overhaul changing will ultimately change how combat is used.
    If you take the wings off of a fly, is it a walk?