Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PACOX View Post
    I really dont see the need in a new Matrix film. A new chapter, be it sequel, prequel, standalone would be cool, I guess. Anything but a reboot (is that a Matrix pun?). It doesn't need a reboot because there's tons of lore to explore. The Wachowskis have done okay work since the trilogy. Sense8 wasn't terrible.

MBJ is all about playing greek/pop culture roles. He is a solid actor even if the movie itself is trash. The movie could work?

- - - Updated - - -

I love the Matrix but I bet that opinion isn't as unpopular as you might think.
    I would love it if it was a spin-off, similar to Animatrix, some guy in the simulation figures out he's in a simulation and learns how to manipulate it, all on his own.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    I would love it if it was a spin-off, similar to Animatrix, some guy in the simulation figures out he's in a simulation and learns how to manipulate it, all on his own.
    So, the Truman Show but with psychic powers and guns?
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

if it has no keanu then it is not a matrix.

Wachowski Brothers (or sisters?) have the potential. I am interested.

Zak Penn writing it? He does well enough when he's co-writing...but on his own he stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    Wachowski Brothers (or sisters?) have the potential. I am interested.
    Still brothers.

I can't imagine the point of a remake, nor the point of a sequel. Guess Hollywood just ran out of writers.

Transphobia is not allowed. Infracted.
    Last edited by Faltemer; 2019-06-27 at 02:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogguh View Post
    Still brothers.

I can't imagine the point of a remake, nor the point of a sequel. Guess Hollywood just ran out of writers.
    Remake is pointless, but a sequel or prequel? Why not?

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    The tech would have to be updated to reflect life today. Mostly they'd probably ditch the idea of hardlines. Everything is wireless now and you'd include RFID and of course RFID shielding. They'd use smartphones instead of bricks and clamshell phones.
    Why? They can make the world however they want it. They could write a narrative that makes the humans in the Matrix bomb each other back to having to use the pony express.

Pandaren Monk
    5+ Year Old Account
    I'll give it a chance if it's Matrix 4 (I actually liked Matrix 2 and 3, so I'm okay with another sequel).

But if it's a remake of the first that replaces Keanu Reeves with Michael B. Jordan, I'll be staying far away from that shit.
    Last edited by avitush; 2019-06-27 at 03:07 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole idea is based on repetition of events, I don't think there is "another" story to tell, that was kind of the point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    He definitely was powered down, though.

At the end of the first movie he had just transcended the basic nature of the matrix and how all the other characters operated within it. He gets blown away and then gets back up unharmed. He sees and can manipulate the fabric of the matrix, he stops the bullets because he wants it to happen, he beats Smith with one hand while barely even paying attention because he's beyond silly fistfights now. He blows Smith up because he wants it to happen.

At that point he's basically just God within the Matrix. It almost feels like there's not actually even room for sequels at this point, there's not much else that can happen within the matrix itself.

Then the second movie hits and...he has to go back to just fighting normally again? Not just the "upgraded" agents, but every other character, even the mooks. He's having to dodge and run and use weapons and put work into it again. He even gets hit sometimes! This wasn't the god of the matrix we saw at the end of the first movie. Did everyone else in the matrix just get powered up, too? No, he just had to be nerfed for the sake of the action. That's all. But it felt silly.
    Right in the first fight of the second movie, you see Neo attempt to fight the new agents in that bored, lazy fashion, and is suddenly caught off guard when they counter him. He had the same skillset, they were brought up to counter him. And Smith outright counters him, both in skills and in themes.

The whole schtick of the Matrix is that he can bend but not break rules. His transcendence is more like he's now got admin access to the Matrix, but he can't change the backend. Otherwise he could just free everyone else at once and be done with it. In the Animatrix, you see what a laborious process it is for Neo to free people, even though he does it at a faster rate than captains like Morpheus. He can stop bullets because "physics" is a system in the Matrix he can manipulate. He can't make the bullets into singing bumblebees. He's bound by the parameters of the system (which is a huge theme of the sequels) to a certain extent, and while he can delete Smith, that can happen because Smith is purely a function of the system. When Smith comes back "unplugged," Neo wouldn't be able to do the same thing to him.

Then, at the end of the second movie, he literally does become the godlike figure, because the powers he has transcends to the real world, probably because he chose to come back instead of reset to a new Zion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Pass. . .

The Wachaowskis make shit movies now. Literally everything they made after Matrix has been pretty damn bad. I guess they need something to milk after such a long string of failures.

But, don't take my word for it, take a look at their track record.

Quote Originally Posted by Beazy View Post
    Pass. . .

The Wachaowskis make shit movies now. Literally everything they made after Matrix has been pretty damn bad. I guess they need something to milk after such a long string of failures.

I'm sorry, Sense8 was fucking fantastic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I'm sorry, Sense8 was fucking fantastic.
    LoL what? It was mediocre, and that's me being generous.

Are you trying to be funny right now?

Yes, but it's *everyone*. Even the mooks, like in the chateau fight.

He went from transcending the rules of the matrix to just being a really strong "normal" character. There's no plot explanation for this that makes sense, it's just a situation where the story has to take a backseat to the action now and then so we get a long enough action flick. Same concept as "lore vs gameplay" in video games.
    Mmmm, the mooks in the chateau worked for the Merovingian, a very powerful program. It's strongly hinted that the two brothers (one of whom Persephone shot) were vampires, and he likes to collect rogue, outdated, powerful programs. He's sort of like Marvel's The Collector. I can understand why he has programs like the ghost Twins.

I can see your point, though, there's no one in the show that Neo can absolutely wipe the floor with any more to illustrate the difference between them, and say, the Merovingians mooks.

- - - Updated - - -

LoL what? It was mediocre, and that's me being generous.

Are you trying to be funny right now?
    I'm not. It continues many of the themes in the Matrix and was given the short shrift by Netflix to fully reach its conclusion.

100% not surprised.

I can tell you exactly how this went down.

Some marketing dude at Warner Brothers called his boss and said "Hey bro, Keanu is real hot right now on social media! How can we cash in? How about another Matrix movie!"

Said boss calls the Wachowski brothers? sisters? idk, whatever they identify as these days, and asked them if they were interested. On the heels of a recently cancelled Netflix show, I imagine they jumped on the chance to make some dough.

And here we are. It'll most likely suck, but the internet loves sucking Keanu's schween so it'll get a ton of free publicity and advertising and probably do pretty well.

Also, big fuckin lol at the people praising Sense8 here. There was definitely a cool germ of a sci-fi idea in there somewhere, but they went way overboard pushing LGBT thing, and it smothered the story. Such a cool premise wasted with all the fluffy "they found love" stuff. It could have made for a fantastic show if it had some more grit, and dare I say it, balls. But not the type of balls they wanted to put on screen. That show managed to have too many balls and yet not enough balls at the same time.
    Last edited by Didly; 2019-06-27 at 02:08 PM.

Pass. . .

First season of Sense8 was pretty good, tbh.

There is no reason why it could not be a good movie BUT:

There is NOW WAY at all to replicate the "what is the matrix" campaign that made it so exciting the first go around. It was just such a bizarre movie when it came out but now it is a de jour topic.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

He definitely was powered down, though.

At the end of the first movie he had just transcended the basic nature of the matrix and how all the other characters operated within it. He gets blown away and then gets back up unharmed. He sees and can manipulate the fabric of the matrix, he stops the bullets because he wants it to happen, he beats Smith with one hand while barely even paying attention because he's beyond silly fistfights now. He blows Smith up because he wants it to happen.

At that point he's basically just God within the Matrix. It almost feels like there's not actually even room for sequels at this point, there's not much else that can happen within the matrix itself.
    Have to agree. His transcendence made it all so irrelevant.
    And then in the end of the 2nd movie he's flying at super speed to get to Trinity...? When he could have simply just teleported...simply "will" himself next to her?
    ugh...as far as I'm concerned there was only the one movie.
    But if I recall, the script was only made for one movie...so...

10+ Year Old Account
    the way I see it in the sequel is that the Matrix got a few security patches so Neo lost some of his OP, and they also buffed the NPCs.