Timing of patch 8.2

Blizzard are doing some things this time which i really like:
    1.Slashing the prizes of the game and delux items by 40%.
    2.Giving 3 days free trials.
    3.Adding flying
    4.Releasing strong 8.2 with many things a week before Shadowbringers

The question is will it be enough to make many players return?What do you peeps think?Or is it just Blizzard's normal marketing when a new game/expansion is about to be released?
    It begins with absence and desire.It begins with blood and fear.It begins with....

It's a combination of competition and end of a financial quarter. Since their stock prices revolve around MAU quarterly numbers, a week before the end of the quarter which also is a week before competition is strategically the most sound time to release a major patch, expansion, new game etc. It's not a criticism by any means, before anyone tries to read it as such.
    Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!

Quote Originally Posted by Hooky View Post
    yeah wow cool..how about raising the valor cap consider WoD isn't that far away? 1000 valor points gets u a lollipop and kick in the nutsack these days! Back in my day we could get a bucket of candy and a pet ferret with that sort of points!
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    QUICKLY FRIENDS, TO THE HYPERBOLEMOBILE!

7+ Year Old Account
    With classic right around the corner? Yeah. We get flying back almost at the same time we get classic. Just like in Legion: "Here's your flying back - oh and say hi to Argus where you can't fly" lol. That said I am looking forward to check out the two new zones - always nice to see something new

Its not even a week before Shadowbringers for most of us. Early access is this friday for those that pre ordered.
    I remember all other patches they gave a 2 week notice that a season WAS ending on this date. Just seems funny how FF14 is having their next expac and then all of a sudden Blizz is like 'oh yea 8.2 is next week so get your shit done that you may want done'. So many of my guildies were in scramble mode to finish key runs.

Think this was their dire move before they lost even more to FF14.

We even got WOW Classic in the launcher as a big bait you got into beta or someshit so people start sub`ing again.
    Last edited by Nizah; 2019-06-25 at 06:46 AM.

Worst timing, patch lands the day I go on holidays. RIP me, going to have to catch up like a peasant later

Forum industry experts are at it again!

And now there will be a 50-page thread as to why these good things are actually bad and "predatory".

As for Final Fantasy, the last good one was on SNES. They should've stopped with 6 (or as the muricans know it, "3")

Quote Originally Posted by Doomchicken View Post
    It's a combination of competition and end of a financial quarter. Since their stock prices revolve around MAU quarterly numbers, a week before the end of the quarter which also is a week before competition is strategically the most sound time to release a major patch, expansion, new game etc. It's not a criticism by any means, before anyone tries to read it as such.
    Agreed. It's standard business practice, which makes it funny that Blizzard tries to deny they do it.

"No, we don't plan around our competition!" as they release content within a week or almost every major potential competition game release. "No, these promotions just fell here where we felt they were needed." Has nothing to do with slumping numbers / end of the quarter happening.

As for if it will be enough to get people to return; probably, but also probably not long term. The real problems of WoW right now are too deep to be fixed with just a content patch. They're such big problems, such as the class mechanics, that they're a long term fix; aka expansion release fix. If class issues are what caused people to leave, 8.2 isn't going to come even close to fixing it. It's new content, content that has a bit of a grind behind it, but not a major fix to anything. The Azerite system, they just gave up on, capped the gear as open at 50, made it easy to get to 50, and grant a major (pretty much OP) essence talent to everyone, with two more minor things as you continue to grind AP.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azerate View Post

And now there will be a 50-page thread as to why these good things are actually bad and "predatory".

As for Final Fantasy, the last good one was on SNES. They should've stopped with 6 (or as the muricans know it, "3")
    It was "3" in Europe too.

Quote Originally Posted by Thetruth1400 View Post
    "No, we don't plan around our competition!" as they release content within a week or almost every major potential competition game release. "No, these promotions just fell here where we felt they were needed." Has nothing to do with slumping numbers / end of the quarter happening.
    You got that right. Im almost gonna bet tomorrow during peak hours on Stormrage there is not gonna be a que to log into the server. Yet Friday on Behemoth Im gonna have a que to get in. This whole week I been having a que in 14.

The Azerite system is the biggest joke in the world. While most people whined about the weapon system of Legion I would go back to that in a heart beat compared to the armor system now.

'Final Fantasy 7 is bad actually' is one of the most edgelord contrarian takes I've possibly ever seen on MMO champ, and that's saying something

To be honest, the pure amount on content would be enough to bring me back... if id ever had quit ... im not sure i ever will be able to .... oh god help

People definitely overlook the fact that it's the end of the a financial quarter. That is a very powerful driver for the top-tier executives.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dragnipur View Post
    Blizzard are doing some things this time which i really like:
    1.Slashing the prizes of the game and delux items by 40%.
    2.Giving 3 days free trials.
    3.Adding flying
    4.Releasing strong 8.2 with many things a week before Shadowbringers

The question is will it be enough to make many players return?What do you peeps think?Or is it just Blizzard's normal marketing when a new game/expansion is about to be released?
    Already preordererd Shadowbringers and will be playing that till classic, I'll probably be giving 8.2 a go once I get bored of classic, in October - November.

If their goal was to have maximum impact on their competition, should they have not released it next week, not this week?

Quote Originally Posted by Caerule View Post
    If their goal was to have maximum impact on their competition, should they have not released it next week, not this week?
    Too close to 4th of July, huge holiday in the US, skeleton crew at Blizzard.

Why would anyone play that garbage? Its still BFA, nothing changed!

Holy blind fanboyism batman, do you really do this to justify your one gaming syndrome?

7 and 9 were some of the best games of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by hulkgor View Post
    Too close to 4th of July, huge holiday in the US, skeleton crew at Blizzard.
    I was qurious about that too.Are they doing it because of 4th July or because of the early access.
    Thanks for the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Isn't this what they always do? Heck isn't it what everyone in the genre always did?
    I don't know.That's why i'm asking.
    It begins with absence and desire.It begins with blood and fear.It begins with....